Hybrid View

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Default Bungie splits from Activision

Bungie has announced the end of their publishing deal with Activision, and that theyíve acquired the publishing rights for Destiny:

When we first launched our partnership with Activision in 2010, the gaming industry was in a pretty different place. As an independent studio setting out to build a brand new experience, we wanted a partner willing to take a big leap of faith with us. We had a vision for Destiny that we believed in, but to launch a game of that magnitude, we needed the support of an established publishing partner.

With Activision, we created something special. To date, Destiny has delivered a combination of over 50 million games and expansions to players all around the world. More importantly, weíve also witnessed a remarkable community Ė tens of millions of Guardians strong Ė rise up and embrace Destiny, to play together, to make and share memories, and even to do truly great things that reach far beyond the game we share, to deliver a positive impact on peopleís everyday lives.

We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and would like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny. Looking ahead, weíre excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects.

The planned transition process is already underway in its early stages, with Bungie and Activision both committed to making sure the handoff is as seamless as possible.

With Forsaken, weíve learned, and listened, and leaned in to what we believe our players want from a great Destiny experience. Rest assured there is more of that on the way. Weíll continue to deliver on the existing Destiny roadmap, and weíre looking forward to releasing more seasonal experiences in the coming months, as well as surprising our community with some exciting announcements about what lies beyond.

Thank you so much for your continued support. Our success is owed in no small part to the incredible community of players who have graced our worlds with light and life. We know self-publishing wonít be easy; thereís still much for us to learn as we grow as an independent, global studio, but we see unbounded opportunities and potential in Destiny. We know that new adventures await us all on new worlds filled with mystery, adventure, and hope. We hope youíll join us there.

See you starside.
    https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+)
    Clan
    PSN
    Tallpaul77
    XBLA
    -

Wow, thats a big move. Now we can find out if its all 'their' fault.

Also Destiny 3.

Anyone who still plays Destiny... How much have you paid to keep up to date with content? Serious question.

AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) B_enjamin411's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Empty___Bones

Quote Originally Posted by Tallpaul77 View Post
    Anyone who still plays Destiny... How much have you paid to keep up to date with content? Serious question.
    I got the base game for free on psn and the first 2 expansions discounted. I kinda jumped the gun buying the season pass, there was so much more content I still needed to complete, but that said otherwise i'm happy having spent money so far. Can't remember but maybe ~$130?

I like supporting Sony exclusives, but I'll pay full price on launch and maybe get 40 hrs from a story and rarely play again. With Destiny, there is enough content I couldn't see myself getting bored with it for a while, so the value proposition is there.

AUF Full Member - Pave My Way With BLOOD (2500+) Sir_eFFex's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    Sir_eFFex
    XBLA
    N/A

I played up to the cayde update which wanted another 100$ or so to keep playing. Steep considering content was lacking for the first 100$ for the game

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Want some candy

Clan
    PSN
    Tallpaul77
    XBLA
    -

Free is a good price! I probs spent 300 bucks on the franchise since D1. I got plenty hours of entertainment for my money but havent played for well over a year... IF I had kept going amd paid full retail price, I dread to think how much that would be for 2 games...

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Default Bungie splits from Activision

I think all up from D2 is maybe $220? From D1 and other stuff (books, figures) probably over $500 by now, over a 5 year period I donít think is that bad.

I got the limited edition though of D2, Expansion and Season Pass.

I think we all know where I stand with Destiny though, yeah there has been lulls in playing and Iíve moved away and played something else for a few months but the game currently is in the best shape itís ever been, there is so much god damn content and things to do itís actually getting hard to keep up.

Look forward to see how much Activision was holding Bungie back, I think Bungie will start tailoring the game to the hard core players now Activision isnít as involved, hopefully changes to Eververse (microtransactions) etc will bring on better things there and not just reskins of the same 4 ships.

CLICK ON MY MANBOOBS TO JOIN AUF

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

It would be hilarious if it turns out the holding them back was Bungie lol.

Sometimes I feel that it is too easy to lay blame on the likes of EA or Activision. And people are right a lot of times doing so. But it isnít always 100% the case. DICE case in point.

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) repercuss's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    repercuss
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY View Post

Sometimes I feel that it is too easy to lay blame on the likes of EA or Activision. And people are right a lot of times doing so. But it isnít always 100% the case. DICE case in point.
    Dice was awesome when they were independent. And started getting worse pretty much right after being bought out by EA.

IIRC they were pretty independent early on in EA, times of bc1, mirrors edge, heroes, 1943, bc2. Then a lot of the awesome old team left and we got bf online, bf play for free, bf3, BF4, hardline....

I'm expecting big things from fall damage.
    http://www.falldamagestudio.com

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Consequences and Repercussions

H.H > R.C > You

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

The state of the game currently is far beyond what is was when most people left the game. Bungie have made a lot of changes to the game and how things play out, itís still somewhat of a grindfest if you want certain things etc but there are ways to get them.

I think Activision just wanted sales, like and publisher would, but they sacrificed that at the sale of fun content eg Curse of Osiris.

Curse of Osiris was the worst DLC ever, then Warmind came out followed by Forsaken and Black Armoury.

Forsaken injected a lot of content and was a shift in direction for Bungie I think.

Clan
    PSN
    Tallpaul77
    XBLA
    -

Im glad to see Bungie in control, they talked about a 10 year plan for D1 and their ambition was genuine and it sounds like D2 is on the right track... I wonder if theyre planning a D3 which will be their baby from the start and if thats what they should do? Or just build on D2 as they shouldve done with 1 (their original plan). Still doubt Ill be back to it after the way it went but who knows.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Quote Originally Posted by Tallpaul77 View Post
    Im glad to see Bungie in control, they talked about a 10 year plan for D1 and their ambition was genuine and it sounds like D2 is on the right track... I wonder if theyre planning a D3 which will be their baby from the start and if thats what they should do? Or just build on D2 as they shouldve done with 1 (their original plan). Still doubt Ill be back to it after the way it went but who knows.
    Considering that D2 and all this year is still Published by Activision afaik we wonít see anything after this date, so any ongoing releases all revenue will go to Bungie and investors Iím guessing.

I think with the Seasonal pass and Eververse sales this is how Bungie are going to be able to self publish.

Wether they end up releasing D3 now or just release everything as Destiny.

Personally I think they rename it all Destiny and release all the old content on the current platforms and have it as an evolving universe like WoW etc.

People would much rather give money to Bungie and have an evolving would than giving the funds to Activision and it be stale year after year.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

Yeah I hear all that and hope for the people who like the game that it improves. But I think people with the mentality of this is going to be ďBungie Unleashed!Ē May be getting into the hype train too early.

I think this game, No Mans Sky, Fallout 76, The Divison and Rainbow Six Siege are great indicators that a long game plan is a faulty one. Nearly all those games are dramatically different then when released, and by all accounts are dramatically better. But they have lost a huge player base because it all came too late. First impressions count nowadays. With new games being released quite consistently and attention spans shortening.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Yeah I hear all that and hope for the people who like the game that it improves. But I think people with the mentality of this is going to be “Bungie Unleashed!” May be getting into the hype train too early.

I think this game, No Mans Sky, Fallout 76, The Divison and Rainbow Six Siege are great indicators that a long game plan is a faulty one. Nearly all those games are dramatically different then when released, and by all accounts are dramatically better. But they have lost a huge player base because it all came too late. First impressions count nowadays. With new games being released quite consistently and attention spans shortening.
    Thats the thing that we as consumers will never get to find out about though. How much of the decisions being made by the developers or the publishers wanting their money. I know Destiny copped a massive overhaul for D1 before release because Activision wanted to monetize the entire thing and in turn destroyed what the game was about a year out from launch.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

Thatís the thing though. With this now being a Bungie self published game, will the whole monetisation thing end? Or will it be a case of Activision setting the bar that low, that even a little less will be seen as an improvement lol.

It will be really interesting to see what happens.

Clan
    PSN
    Tallpaul77
    XBLA
    -

Bungie will still need to make money from it and tjeres only really two ways. Continue with microtransactions (afaik eververse was their creation) or release Destiny 3 and hope the playerbase goes for it - maybe picking up ex-destiny peeps. I think theyll do the latter... The intresting thing is that there is no scapegoat now. If Bungie fuck something up they cant blame Activision, its all them. They should seriously look at how Digital Extremes do Warframe - they have it spot on!

AUFFFFF ... wtf?! who are you??
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    N/A
    XBLA
    N/A

Are there even any rumors of Destiny 3 being developed at this point? I've not read anything regarding that yet. Call me crazy, but I think Destiny 2 is actually pretty solid since the Fall update last year.