Thread: PS4 | Ghost of Tsushima

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Default PS4 | Ghost of Tsushima

Developer: Sucker Punch (Sly Cooper series, Infamous series)
    Release Date: TBA (2019?)

This is an open-world Samurai game set in Japan in 1274, the year of the Mongol invasion.

"The year is 1274. Samurai warriors are the legendary defenders of Japan—until the fearsome Mongol Empire invades the island of Tsushima, wreaking havoc and conquering the local population. As one of the last surviving samurai, you rise from the ashes to fight back. But honorable tactics won’t lead you to victory. You must move beyond your samurai traditions to forge a new way of fighting—the way of the Ghost—as you wage an unconventional war for the freedom of Japan."

TRAILERS

ARTWORK

Interested in joining AUF? Just CLICK HERE to learn more about our clan, including how to go about joining
    Last edited by AStiffBreeze; 06-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) mmmgilly's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

looks awesome, hopefully the gameplay does too.
    "Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000ft and climbing"

"What have I done, that poor dog" GuitarGod-2016

"thanks to gilly for giving me "head" ....... shots.. 5 to be exact.. thanks bud.. took a load off .." Keppida aka Des 2017

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mmmgilly View Post
    looks awesome, hopefully the gameplay does too.
    I've got big expectations for this game. Sucker Punch are an excellent studio (one of the industry's best), and they've had more than four years to work on Ghosts of Tsushima.

Sucker Punch might not have the narrative/writing chops of Naughty Dog, but since Infamous 2 their tech has been on the bleeding edge, their games have always had the best controls you'll ever see in the medium, their animations are always on point, and they always nail the core gameplay mechanics.

The only things I'm worried about:
    Can they write a story with the gravitas required by the setting?
    Will the open world feel alive?

It's hard to answer the first one because their games have either been cartoonish or comic booky. On the subject of the second, it's probably my only criticism of Infamous: Second Son.

Interested in joining AUF? Just CLICK HERE to learn more about our clan, including how to go about joining

--> CLICK HERE <--

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) Smajs's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

I guess if Nioh was Samurai Assassin (1965) then this may be more The Sword of Doom (1966)...or The Last Samurai.

Interested to see what language options they will include. Hitman having English speaking in Italy, Japan and Morocco was one thing, Feudal Japan at war with the Mongols to the tones of the Englishman is another level.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

The thing I'm most curious about is whether there'll be a supernatural element or not.

The voiceover in the trailer put my mind at ease on the voice acting/accents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--> CLICK HERE <--

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Gameplay trailer.

https://youtu.be/IqMKxmaQlI4

CLICK ON MY MANBOOBS TO JOIN AUF

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Locoevo View Post
    Gameplay trailer.

https://youtu.be/IqMKxmaQlI4

That looks so good. I've been waiting for a game like this for so long; I always thought the Assassins Creed games would be the next ones to take us there, but I'm so glad that Sucker Punch were (quite unexpectedly) the first to get there.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

This GIF is amazing (only spoilered for size):

I love the fact there's no HUD either.

In-game images:

Also, this is a supposed leak from 4chan. I'm not sure if it's accurate, but it predates today's trailer and it all seems to gel with what we've seen:

• Samurai were the most respectable people in Japan, people bow to Jin as he passes by on foot or horseback, but samurai were also feared; some women and children will attempt to hide or flee at the sight of Jin, while others will attempt to attack in order to prove themselves, or take some of the valuable gear a samurai would typically carry. This all helps to make the world feel alive and immersive. Not sure how often these civilian interactions occur.
    • Japanese voice over is a must for this game in order to truly feel like a samurai epic, but the English is superb (as many of you could probably tell from the reveal trailer.
    • Each outpost has a story behind it and a quest line, not just "take out these soldiers and you retake the village". Villages can be retaken by Mongols if you do not complete the quest line.
    • The game has two central towns (think Witcher 3), and many smaller outposts / villages.
    • There are NPCS who can help train you in the ways of the Ghost, as for a Samurai, it would be a completely different form, and dishonorable way, of combat. Don't expect Jin to be able to right out of the gate know how to throw shuriken, use kunai, use alchemy ( poisons, create potions, and explosives), use grappling hooks to get on top of rooftops, quickly, etc.
    • 2 major skill trees with many branches; which are way of the samurai, and way of the ghost. Samurai focusing more on sword play, archery, and defense, while ghost focuses more on stealth, alchemy, and agility.
    • Samurai skill tree is fully unlocked from the start, while ghost requires you to complete tasks in order to unlock a specific branch, such as working with an alchemist in order to learn poison abilities, or to create potions with strong effects.
    • You will be free to switch between samurai and ghost kits. Jin in full samurai armor won't be able to climb buildings (you can still jump, don't worry) or swim/dive, and would be fit more for a defensive, all out attack build. This can be balanced out however by mixing kits. You switch by going into any outpost / town, there you will also be able to sleep in order to pass the time, so if you prefer to tackle a mission at night as a ghost, or at day as a samurai, it's up to you. So for a more grounded approach, samurai is recommended.
    • Think of climbing buildings as a faster paced assassins creed. Tenchu style grappling hook makes it even faster.
    • You don't necessarily want to be seen in your ghost kit, as people may take you for an assassin and will sometime be hostile toward you. The game recommends you to be the ghost at night, but samurai at day. Some quests will only be handed out in your samurai gear, or only in your ghost gear, such as assassination requests. Double agent type of system and story to back it up.
    Last edited by AStiffBreeze; 12-06-2018 at 05:14 PM.

--> CLICK HERE <--

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Wow it looks gorgeous, the stance and movement looks a little clunky in combat but i'm sure you'd get used to the movement quick enough.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Have to applaud a dev that leads with a no HUD approach. Those fields to ride over are too inviting ha ha, just gonna ride for days.

Combat looks okay, not as technical as Nioh however I like the slower pace. I hope the battles are dangerous seeing how most Samurai bouts are over within seconds unless both are evenly matched. One misjudged strike could be your last, if death is so close it could make it nice and tense.

Poison is potent, poison Kunai have been a staple since the original Gaiden, and archery on horseback, or swordplay on horseback (if it is in) giddy up.

Native voice work has gotta be in this. I don't know if devs are afraid that people will be turned off or refuse to read subtitles or what, kind of insulting to the audience if they think a player could not cope without English. It also adds to the atmosphere if the locals speak their native tongue imo.

Regardless, three different Samurai games coming, each approaching the genre from a different angle, this is gonna be fun.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

I just watched the 4K version of the Ghosts of Tsushima trailer on my TV, holy shit it looks good. I'm calling it right now, new graphical benchmark for gaming.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Quote Originally Posted by AStiffBreeze View Post
    I just watched the 4K version of the Ghosts of Tsushima trailer on my TV, holy shit it looks good. I'm calling it right now, new graphical benchmark for gaming.

It looked insane on my little 27” 4K Monitor, if that was straight gameplay no in engine trickery then I gotta agree it look phenomenal, I thought God of War was a benchmark but this might looked even better.

AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

That looks awesome. Very much excited for this game.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Smajs View Post
    Native voice work has gotta be in this. I don't know if devs are afraid that people will be turned off or refuse to read subtitles or what, kind of insulting to the audience if they think a player could not cope without English. It also adds to the atmosphere if the locals speak their native tongue imo.
    Japanese voice track is confirmed:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GI_AndyMc...62754252361728

For reference:

Last edited by AStiffBreeze; 13-06-2018 at 07:02 PM.

--> CLICK HERE <--

AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

Cool! I will more than likely play with Japanese language. Hopefully the soundtrack will be beautiful. In games like this, that is just as important as gameplay.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY View Post
    Hopefully the soundtrack will be beautiful. In games like this, that is just as important as gameplay.
    The latest trailer was pretty damn good on that front.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Summarised info, courtesy of kostacurtas at ResetEra:

Main info:
    • It’s an open-world samurai adventure.
    • The game is grounded and realistic.
    • The game is a original work of fiction they are not rebuilding history stone by stone.
    • It is much bigger than the games Sucker Punch have done in the past. A lot bigger than Infamous.
    • You can play the game with a Japanese voice track. Even with a cast of mostly native Japanese speakers, they still have a dialogue coach for the game for authentic ancient Japanese.

Story, characters, missions:
    • The main character is called Jin Sakai.
    • Jin does serve a shogun who has not been shown yet.
    • Main storyline will be Jin vs. the Mongols.
    • Leader of the Mongols is an “uncomfortably reasonable killer” trying to intimidate our hero.
    • Jin’s nickname is “The Ghost of Tsushima”. Jin has become a “legend” in Japan called “The Ghost”.
    • The E3 2018 trailer is not part of the main story, it’s a side quest.
    • There a lot of stories in the game that you may not find them all.
    • There are many side characters in the game, most which have sidequests.
    • Jin will learn new things from NPC quests.
    • You can ride a horse, is integral to the game. Horse’s name is Nobu.
    • Jin will change what is wearing. In a rain-drenched part of the world Jin has traded his traditional armor for a straw raincoat called a mino. This has both mechanical value and narrative value.

Combat, progression:
    • Jin had to go beyond his samurai training in order to fight back against the Mongols.
    • They will share details on the combat later. The theme of the combat is “mud, blood, and steel”. They want a feeling of intensity and danger in the combat.
    • Combat system can scale all the way up from a one-on-one combat with a worthy opponent all the way up to dealing with a horde of Mongols.
    • Possibility of other weapons but they’re only showing the katana right now.
    • Sucker Punch teases that Jin's combat style abandons some samurai techniques, swapping them for the "violent grace of a silent assassin".
    • The player can choose if they want to go full samurai or full ghost in any situation.
    • There is a progression system. Jin has learned to use a grapple hook but this is not part of his samurai training. He’s had to learn new tricks to silently kill the Mongols.
    • The evolution on how he fights back is the key to what will keep you engage you will keep finding new ways to wage war.
    • They are looking at Kurosawa films and John Ford westerns to try to translate the cinematic nature of those moves into the game.
    • Everything you can see in the background you can go to such as a Pagoda and Mongol ships, you have the freedom to go where you want at your on pace.
    • They want to give players a lot of navigational options.
    • Square button swings you sword.

Graphics engine, tech:
    • Dynamic time of day and weather.
    • Simulated clouds. All dynamic, not painted, never going to be seen twice.
    • Procedural skies and procedural sun break tech.
    • If you roll around a lot in the mud you will be completely cover. If it starts raining it washes away all the mud and blood.
    • Strong focus on minimalism for the graphics, you see the things that are more pronounce.
    • “Movement” is the environment theme, expect everything to move - blowing trees, windy fields, falling leaves.
    • Landscapes range from the swaying bamboo forests of the countryside, to the urban centers of ornate castles.
    • There will be a minimal game HUD but they’re not showing it just yet.
    • Looks like there’s a photo mode.
    • The swordplay is all mo-cap.

E3 2018 trailer details:
    • The E3 2018 trailer is not part of the main story, it’s a side quest.
    • 30,000 leafs on the ground in the duel.
    • Half a million pampas flowers in that field.
    • They photo scan the ground from Tsushima and out it in the game.
    • The part where he stab the guy though the screen was not a scripted moment.
    • Expect that level of detail (E3 2018 trailer) in the whole game.

Leaked info:
    • Samurai were the most respectable people in Japan, people bow to Jin as he passes by on foot or horseback, but samurai were also feared; some women and children will attempt to hide or flee at the sight of Jin, while others will attempt to attack in order to prove themselves, or take some of the valuable gear a samurai would typically carry. This all helps to make the world feel alive and immersive. Not sure how often these civilian interactions occur.
    • Each outpost has a story behind it and a quest line, not just "take out these soldiers and you retake the village". Villages can be retaken by Mongols if you do not complete the quest line.
    • The game has two central towns (think Witcher 3), and many smaller outposts / villages.
    • There are NPCS who can help train you in the ways of the Ghost, as for a Samurai, it would be a completely different form, and dishonorable way, of combat. Don't expect Jin to be able to right out of the gate know how to throw shuriken, use kunai, use alchemy (poisons, create potions, and explosives), use grappling hooks to get on top of rooftops, quickly, etc.
    • 2 major skill trees with many branches; which are way of the samurai, and way of the ghost. Samurai focusing more on sword play, archery, and defense, while ghost focuses more on stealth, alchemy, and agility.
    • Samurai skill tree is fully unlocked from the start, while ghost requires you to complete tasks in order to unlock a specific branch, such as working with an alchemist in order to learn poison abilities, or to create potions with strong effects.
    • You will be free to switch between samurai and ghost kits. Jin in full samurai armor won't be able to climb buildings (you can still jump, don't worry) or swim/dive, and would be fit more for a defensive, all out attack build. This can be balanced out however by mixing kits. You switch by going into any outpost / town, there you will also be able to sleep in order to pass the time, so if you prefer to tackle a mission at night as a ghost, or at day as a samurai, it's up to you. So for a more grounded approach, samurai is recommended.
    • Think of climbing buildings as a faster paced assassins creed. Tenchu style grappling hook makes it even faster.
    • You don't necessarily want to be seen in your ghost kit, as people may take you for an assassin and will sometime be hostile toward you. The game recommends you to be the ghost at night, but samurai at day. Some quests will only be handed out in your samurai gear, or only in your ghost gear, such as assassination requests. Double agent type of system and story to back it up.

Sources: E3 2018 panel, PS live E3, PlayStation Blog, IGN article, IGN interview, Tweets

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Here's the latest trailer with full Japanese audio track. And I'll say it again, it looks orgasmic in 4K:

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs