AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Default PS4 | Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Full reveal trailer:

Release Date: 27/10/17

If you haven't played Wolfenstein: The New Order then you're missing out on one of the best FPS games in a long time (and you can get it for nearly nothing these days). This sequel is by the same Swedish devs (MachineGames), who are made up of a lot of former Starbreeze employees that worked on Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay and also The Darkness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) repercuss's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    repercuss
    XBLA
    N/A

This looks legit.

Very excited, the other Wolf's were very very good.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Consequences and Repercussions

H.H > R.C > You

AUF Full Member - Middle Distance Man (1500+) jackal_84's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Between this and far cry I finally have some games to look forward too.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

AUF Full Member - Battlehead Boy (3500+) OldSarum's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    OldSarum
    XBLA
    N/a

Looks like another Wolf i'll have to Plat

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Default PS4 | Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

There have been a whole heap of video previews released over the last week or so, too many to post probably. If you're interested maybe check out the PlayStation Access one, or maybe the jackfrags one. It looks like they've hit another home run to me, the recent one (The New Order) was amazing and Machine Games look to have backed it up in The New Colossus.

There are also rumours floating around that this will be one of the first AAA games to fully support FP16, which (if true) means that Pro owners should be in for a treat. It means for areas where they don't require the precision of FP32, they can use FP16 and get double the performance.

EDIT: This is the PlayStation Access preview:

Last edited by AStiffBreeze; 01-08-2017 at 03:59 PM.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by AStiffBreeze View Post
    There have been a whole heap of video previews released over the last week or so, too many to post probably. If you're interested maybe check out the PlayStation Access one, or maybe the jackfrags one. It looks like they've hit another home run to me, the recent one (The New Order) was amazing and Machine Games look to have backed it up in The New Colossus.

There are also rumours floating around that this will be one of the first AAA games to fully support FP16, which (if true) means that Pro owners should be in for a treat. It means for areas where they don't require the precision of FP32, they can use FP16 and get double the performance.

EDIT: This is the PlayStation Access preview:

Ooh. Looks so pretty.

Excuse my ignorance but what is fp16 and fp32?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by jackal_84 View Post
    Ooh. Looks so pretty.

Excuse my ignorance but what is fp16 and fp32?

In software, pretty much all of the heavy lifting you do involves numbers: manipulating them in some way, and then storing the result. Let me try this with a dodgy analogy. You store those numbers in things called variables - think of those like buckets - and you can shape the buckets depending on what you need to store in them.

In general, the floating point numbers you store on console or PC software is fp32 (the number effectively refers to how many decimal places you're tracking in the number, with more decimal places meaning you get a more precise result). The thing is, many of the variables you're tracking don't actually need to be that precise: you can store them as fp16 and that will be more than sufficient.

Now normally the hardware is designed to work with fp32 regardless. So basically, think of a truck that can hold a certain amount of fp32 buckets, and only fp32 buckets. If the buckets were only half full, too bad, it could still only hold the same amount of buckets. But the PS4 Pro has unique hardware (it's specifically designed to offer this), so it can hold a certain amount of fp32 buckets, or double the amount of fp16 sized buckets in the same space. So, if a developer is willing to put the work in, anywhere where there previously would (or could) have been half full fp32 buckets, they can now specify two fp16 buckets instead, and transport that shit twice as fast.

Now there's overhead associated with this, and not everything is suitable for fp16, so in practice you'll never get double the speed... but you will see a definite boost in performance. There have been a few indie titles already using this to good effect on the Pro, but it looks like Wolfenstein: The New Colossus will be the first AAA game to offer it.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

In software, pretty much all of the heavy lifting you do involves numbers: manipulating them in some way, and then storing the result. Let me try this with a dodgy analogy. You store those numbers in things called variables - think of those like buckets - and you can shape the buckets depending on what you need to store in them.

In general, the floating point numbers you store on console or PC software is fp32 (the number effectively refers to how many decimal places you're tracking in the number, with more decimal places meaning you get a more precise result). The thing is, many of the variables you're tracking don't actually need to be that precise: you can store them as fp16 and that will be more than sufficient.

Now normally the hardware is designed to work with fp32 regardless. So basically, think of a truck that can hold a certain amount of fp32 buckets, and only fp32 buckets. If the buckets were only half full, too bad, it could still only hold the same amount of buckets. But the PS4 Pro has unique hardware (it's specifically designed to offer this), so it can hold a certain amount of fp32 buckets, or double the amount of fp16 sized buckets in the same space. So, if a developer is willing to put the work in, anywhere where there previously would (or could) have been half full fp32 buckets, they can now specify two fp16 buckets instead, and transport that shit twice as fast.

Now there's overhead associated with this, and not everything is suitable for fp16, so in practice you'll never get double the speed... but you will see a definite boost in performance. There have been a few indie titles already using this to good effect on the Pro, but it looks like Wolfenstein: The New Colossus will be the first AAA game to offer it.

Cool. Thanks for the excellent explanation.

To bad I don't have a pro.

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) Smajs's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

I like my beer warm, my women hairy, and my nazzzees flaaaaaaaaaming!

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

So good, rolling along into Teknoman. Rising up to rain death from a seat. Wet noodle for a sour puss, need revenge to wipe the smile off that dial.

Shooters feeling this good, oh the gory glory.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Don't know what your talking about Smaj but it sounds awesome.

This game looks freakin sweet

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

It does look awesome, and I was a huge fan of the previous game. I won't be picking it up any time soon because of my backlog (still haven't even unwrapped Doom or Titanfall 2), but will definitely be getting it further down the track.

Interested in joining AUF? Just CLICK HERE to learn more about our clan, including how to go about joining

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

I haven't bought a game since uncharted 4 so this might be my next one.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

So just finishes this one. Picked it up for $40 during psn sale.

Great game. Cool story. Awesome gameplay.

The gunplay is so satisfying. A couple of wicked difficulty spikes. I ended up having to drop the difficulty in a couple of places because I kept getting my arse handed to me.

Once you complete it you unlock a difficulty mode called Mien Lieben. Its the same as the previous highest level but their are no saves and when you die you get returned to the start of the game. Insanely brutal but a couple of guys have managed it.

To give some perspective I played it on the third lowest of six difficulty settings and still struggled in places. Don't think I'll be platinuming this one. There is actually a petition going around to get the developers to make it easier because everyone thought it was impossible.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Did you play the previous one Jackal?

Interested in joining AUF? Just CLICK HERE to learn more about our clan, including how to go about joining

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Did you play the previous one Jackal?

Yeah I did stiff. Thoroughly enjoyed it too. They improved on pretty much everything.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by jackal_84 View Post
    Yeah I did stiff. Thoroughly enjoyed it too. They improved on pretty much everything.

That's pretty high praise! I'm looking forward to checking it out eventually.

--> CLICK HERE <--

AUF Full Member - Battlehead Boy (3500+) OldSarum's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    OldSarum
    XBLA
    N/a

I was angry. The difficulty level prevents 99% from being able to even try for platinum trophy and all because the previous two games were made poorly and you could just run the last level on hard. Now Bethesda is punishing everyone by making it practically impossible to get the platinum troph out off spite.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by OldSarum View Post
    I was angry. The difficulty level prevents 99% from being able to even try for platinum trophy and all because the previous two games were made poorly and you could just run the last level on hard. Now Bethesda is punishing everyone by making it practically impossible to get the platinum troph out off spite.

Git gud

Yeah it was a bit of bullshit. They should have made Mien Liben it's own separate platinum trophy

I have seen a video on YouTube where a guy has made it all the way to the final boss section on a Mien Lieben run only to have his game crash. That would be enough to make you throw your controller through the screen.
    Last edited by jackal_84; 14-01-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

I loved the beginning but have lost motivation after that, the constant self reflection and tone of fragility was a bit of a downer after coming from DOOM, switching from a Killing machine back to this as a fragile human was the wrong way for me to play ha ha.

I hear that it picks up after midway though, stealth seems the way so far.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Smajs View Post
    I loved the beginning but have lost motivation after that, the constant self reflection and tone of fragility was a bit of a downer after coming from DOOM, switching from a Killing machine back to this as a fragile human was the wrong way for me to play ha ha.

I hear that it picks up after midway though, stealth seems the way so far.
    Yeah definatley picks up after half way. Helps a lot when you have some of the gun unlocks and contraptions you get. Helps you go on more of a rampage.