Thread: PS4 | Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) Stonemull's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

people are looking forward to the VR version too, it does look good.

https://youtu.be/8dN3U0CS6bk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Stonemull View Post
    people are looking forward to the VR version too, it does look good.

https://youtu.be/8dN3U0CS6bk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The VR version of Ace Combat 7 was probably the game I was most looking forward to when I pre-ordered my PSVR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

Default PS4 | Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by AStiffBreeze View Post
    The VR version of Ace Combat 7 was probably the game I was most looking forward to when I pre-ordered my PSVR.

It would be cool to have VR and a decent flight stick combo, but I donít know much about VR specs. Would the resolution be okay? And this would be a game that would require constant and fast head movements, how does VR cope with that in other games?

AUF Full Member - Halfway Glory-Hound (5000+) Smajs's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Strap yourself in and feel the G's.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Default PS4 | Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY View Post
    It would be cool to have VR and a decent flight stick combo, but I donít know much about VR specs. Would the resolution be okay? And this would be a game that would require constant and fast head movements, how does VR cope with that in other games?

Resolution is rough. Itís the reason I cancelled my preorder.

The problem is actually twofold:
    1. Resolution is poor. For a panel that close to your eyeball, a higher res is really required.
    2. In order for VR to work properly without giving you motion sickness, they need to push really high frame rates. To hit those frame rates, big graphical compromises have to be made.

So itís a bit of a double whammy: bad graphics pushed to a low res screen. Thatís not to say it canít still work ok (because of the immersion that full VR tracking gets you), but the drawbacks need to be kept in mind.

Last edited by AStiffBreeze; 25-09-2018 at 09:17 PM.

--> CLICK HERE <--

AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

Yeah okay then. If there was ever a genre that VR was perfect for, a flight sim/combat game would be it. At some point hardware will meet software, but I am not sure that in 3 years, VR will be a focus.

AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) Stonemull's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Coming from an owner I don't think its quite as bad as stiffy reckons, resolution is adequate for gaming imo, ok its not 'retina' but it is 540x920 per eye, the first time I ever tried VR was at a Doom 2 event and it was 160x240 per eye .. it was still fun despite being doom2 and 'fake" 3d.
    You will hear the same whines for resolution for oculus and vive too so it will be improved but I dont think its the major issue, its a different type of experience than staring at a flat screen, when you can turn your head one way while facing your body in another you are looking at a window into a much larger screen, sort of.
    Rumours for the PS5 and VR2 abound but there is a suitable display on the horizon from a company SOny uses for its phones.

The most concrete info we have on the PS4’s updated design comes from JDI’s announcement of its 3.2-inch display with 1,001ppi and 2160 x 2432 resolution. JDI claims that this display will reduce latency to 2.2msec (compared to >18msec today), allow for 120Hz (same as the PSVR 1), and demand less processing power to achieve better image quality—potentially unlocking a lighter, smaller design for the headset.
    The upgraded AMD Ryzen chip that Sony is currently researching could certainly achieve the processing power necessary to support these displays.
    so possibly up to 4k per eyeball though whether sony will make a ps5 to be able to generate an 8k image at 90hz+ is debateable and unlikely, will add too much to console cost considering only 10% of buyers would need it.

sony is not dropping vr but upping the game, 2 days ago announcing https://uploadvr.com/sonys-yoshida-p...going-forward/

VR will never be the major focus for playstations imo, it requires you wear a headset, it removes your presence from the room currently though i have seen hints from sony the next gen will fix this, you could have a camera on the headset and a button to show you what is in front of you for example and carry on a normal conversation while wearing the headset and headphones, currently impossible. Its more a solo thing than a family thing and always will be and I dont think that fits sonys aim for playstations for the most part.

I remembered reading this some time ago and this was only with headphones on.. whether true or not i dunno.
    warning, disturbing content. dudes wife is raped while he plays games .. then he kills him in true american fashion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c..._self/cs6gu9c/

but .. VR now is a rolling ball and will never stop improving from now on .. they also reckon they have found ways to assist motion sickness, which I have never had a major issue with, a few moments of queasiness and 'enough for now' moments after an hour or so with some games. Not sure what exactly, might be something as simple as a fan blowing on your face.
    I disagree a bit with flight sims being ideal game, you mostly sit facing forward with a windscreen and drive with a joystick, thats very limiting, VR is suited to 360 degree or at least 180 and like fighting games where both hands are in constant use. swordplay like in skyrim, none of the top VR games currently are driving or flying types of games, I doubt ace combat 7 will make the list either.
    https://uploadvr.com/best-psvr-games/

oh, the spacex trip to the moon is going to be streamed in hires VR..

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

With PSVR you need to try it to see if the resolution bothers you. I tried it at the PlayStation pre-launch roadshow and cancelled my pre-order afterwards, but if you donít mind the res then go for it. With the res in mind, I would say that the VR games look probably two gens behind graphically, or at least the launch titles did. But the VR aspects obviously claw the experience back from there.

--> CLICK HERE <--