Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing Wheels for PS4

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Default Racing Wheels for PS4

Which racing wheels will work on PS4?

Following the release of Driveclub and the highly anticipated Project Cars, the above question is on the tips of many tongues.
    Unfortunately for us, the list is painfully short.

Will my old PS3 wheel work?

The short answer is NO

The popular Logitech wheels (DFGT, g25, g27), Fanatec wheels, are NOT compatible with PS4. They won't be recognised by the PS4, no adapters are available.
    There is one exception, T500RS (see later).
    Possible reasons include lack of security chip, missing drivers, no longer making wheels (Logitech), and theorised money under the table (licensing deals).

Will adapters be available in the future? Very slim chance with Fanatec perhaps, but unlikely with Logitech.

What options do I have then?

Don't like Thrustmaster, then you're screwed (well, you can unscrew yourself as of September 2015).

Thrustmaster T80 Racing Wheel

Cost: $199 JB Hifi (as of 23/2/15)

PROS
    • Fully Compatible with PS4 (menus and games)

CONS
    • Lacks force feedback. Wheel resistance is provided by a bungee-cord system.
    • Arguably expensive for quality and lack of FBB.

Thrustmaster T300RS or Ferrari GTE

The T300RS and Ferrari GTE are functionally the same, just one branded Playstation, the other Ferrari (spoilered below)

Cost: $698 JB Hifi (as of 23/2/15)

PROS
    • Force feedback
    • Brushless motor!!! No brushes, no gears (g27), means a more efficient, precise, quieter motor which is less likely to wear out.
    • Option to upgrade pedals and/or shifters

CONS
    • Bloody expensive
    • Lacks clutch and shifter, but can be upgraded, $$$.

Thrustmaster T500RS (Limited Compatibility Only!!)

This is officially an old gen wheel (PS3), but has been shown to function in Driveclub (hence some people don't believe the security chip BS). It doesn't work with the PS4 menu however. As for whether it'll be compatible with upcoming PS4 games....dunno.

Logitech G29 with optional Shifter

Retailing for ~$500 with extra Shifter at ~$79

OPTIONAL UPGRADES

Interchange Steering wheels
    The steering wheels themselves are interchangeable between the Thrusmaster models. Want to use the F1 wheel or T500RS wheel on the T300RS base? Yup, just swap them.

T3PA 3 Pedal Add-On

3 pedal set including clutch, with adjustable spacing and pressure settings. Metallic pedals and internal structure.

Cost: $208 JB Hifi (as of 23/2/15)

TH8A Shifter Add-On

H-pattern 7+1 or sequential shifting (+/-). Contactless magnetic sensor to reduce wear over time.

Cost: $278 JB Hifi (as of 23/2/15)

Are you gonna get one?? Any updates you've heard? Your opinions on the listed wheels? Any bargains you've found?
    Last edited by Chiips; 30-08-2015 at 09:06 AM.

Sigs credit to SmilingLocoOtis

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

AUF Full Member - SNIPEMAN U812 (850+)
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    BOYDGLIN
    XBLA
    N/A

In my dreams I would have one of these kitted out around a comfy leather seat from a written off luxury car.

In reality I have a wife and will probably be playing most racers using the ds4 until I can figure out a way to sticky tape my ds4 to an old datsun steering wheel and use the tilt sensors to control my vehicles lol

AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) Stonemull's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

theres always this method lol.

http://youtu.be/ko54YyGmHxc

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

It looks like Logitech taking Sony to court over the Immersion technology and then wanting more millions to allow sony to use their 'FFB technology' on ps4 games is where the whole thing falls apart.
    basically sony wants nothing to do with logitech, logitech no longer wants anything to do with wheels and its not looking like either side will change tune any time soon.

see post #56 on this thread http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thread....309446/page-2

AUF Full Member - Full on Sheeet (200+) Sykotik_mushroom's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    Sykotik_mushroom
    XBLA
    N/a

I heard a while back that hori were bringing out a wheel, not sure if it's hit Aus yet though.

Super Muderator AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) mudman05's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mudman05

A new wheel is being released from Thrustmaster, details from GT Planet

Thrustmaster TM28 Leather GT Rim Review
    March 22nd, 2015 by Jordan

Thrustmaster has been aggressively expanding their sim-racing hardware line over the past year, first rolling out the new T300 RS wheel unit and then releasing updated shifter and pedal add-ons.

The company’s wheel base units are compatible with a variety of different rims, and they’ve just launched their latest high-end add-on: the TM28 Leather GT Rim. They offered to send me one for review (they’ve also purchased advertising on GTPlanet in the past), and I was happy to take a look.

first glance, the TM28 is a handsome, colorful, and realistic looking rim, but what struck me most during unboxing was the unmistakeable, luxurious smell of leather.

It’s that nice scent you notice when sliding into a brand-new car at the dealer. The rest of the rim’s 11-inch (28cm) frame is brushed metal and steel, and weighs in at 2.2 lbs (1kg), which the company claims improves the wheel’s inertia and enhances force feedback effects.

Changing the rim on the T300 RS is very simple, but if you follow the directions exactly, it will require a few turns of a Phillips-head screwdriver to fully secure the wheel mounting mechanism. Regardless, you should be able to swap between rims in a minute or two.

The TM28 is, of course, fully compatible with all of Thrustmaster’s T-Series wheels, so you can use it with the T300 RS, T300 Ferrari GTE, T500 RS, Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500, and TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition bases. Because the rim’s buttons are unlabeled, their function will change between consoles and PCs, and the documentation includes a few helpful diagrams to explain what’s what (click to enlarge):

Each button is a unique, bright color, which makes them easy to see out of your peripheral vision. They’re also slightly raised and easy to feel out; I was also happy to find the paddles feature a similar satisfying click found in the T300 RS’s included wheel.

The most interesting feature on the rim is the “three-position rotary switch”. It’s effectively three buttons in one: you can turn it up or down to activate its alternate functions (it springs back into its original position) or push down on it as you would a regular button. Perhaps I’m a geek, but I enjoy using these types of switches on higher-end sim-racing wheels – they’re just more fun to use than plain, old buttons.

My only issue with the TM28 is the wheel’s button mappings for PlayStation consoles. As you can see in the diagram above, the white button is designated as the “X”, which is typically used as the “selection” button in most game menus. Because it’s on the left side of the wheel, though, this means you’ll have to either move your left thumb from the D-pad or slide your right hand over to press it. This may sound trivial, but when you’re navigating a menu-heavy game like Gran Turismo 6, it can become a chore. I eventually settled on resting my right thumb and middle finger over over the “X” and “O” buttons, respectively, to work through the menus quickly.

The TM28 rim, side-by-side with the T300 RS factory rim.

Of course, if you’re using this rim with a PC or Xbox One, this won’t be an issue at all. The buttons are well-placed and should be within easy reach of your thumbs, and almost any PC game will let you program them to do whatever you like. The rotary switch should be perfect for adjusting brake bias or anything else you’d like to use with step adjustments.

The real star of the show, though, is the hand-stitched leather (and yes, even the centering stripe at the top of the rim is yellow-dyed leather). It’s soft, supple, and just a pleasure to touch with your hands – a surprisingly nice improvement over the rubberized rims provided with both the T500 and T300 RS base units. If you’re looking for a more comfortable sim-racing experience and want to stay within the Thrustmaster ecosystem, the TM28 is a nice upgrade.

The TM28 hits stores on April 7, 2015 for $149.99 USD; it’s available for pre-order at Amazon. Please leave any questions in the comments below, or head on over to our Sim Racing Hardware forum for more discussion!
    Last edited by mudman05; 23-03-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    Interested in joining AUF?

Then follow the link ---> HERE <--- to learn how

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

So thats just the steering wheel rim for $150 US or am I confused, oh the buttons in the middle and paddles too I guess.
    I was a little excited for a few seconds.

AUF Full Member - Warbird Firehead (750+) rb---1's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    rb---1
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Stonemull View Post
    So thats just the steering wheel rim for $150 US or am I confused, oh the buttons in the middle and paddles too I guess.
    I was a little excited for a few seconds.
    Yep, just the rim Stoney.

They're the masters of thrusting expensive crap down our throats.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    rb---1
    XBLA
    N/A

Double post, it's just been announced that Fanatec wheels will get an update soon to allow compatibility with the PS4 and XBone. I'll post a link later. Doubt there are many people here with one of those but it shows this security chip thing is a load of hooey.

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) guitar_god7007's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    guitar_god7007
    XBLA
    Xbox...thats cute

I read the fear part of the article and started slobbering everywhere. But then I came to my senses, of course a company would not make equipment affordable. I'm looking for a decent wheel with a stick shifter included. I'm hoping a good one comes out soon (good meaning affordable)

Sent using Tapatalk because my laptop is more than an arms length away and I'm a lazy sod
    Do you want to join AUF? Don't click here, it won't take you anywhere. Click here instead

Quote Originally Posted by ImDaRAD View Post
    GG. Been around for a while and knows his stuff but keep an eye on this guy, really nice but when you least expect it he will jab you in the eye for absolutely no reason and it really hurts

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by rb---1 View Post
    Double post, it's just been announced that Fanatec wheels will get an update soon to allow compatibility with the PS4 and XBone. I'll post a link later. Doubt there are many people here with one of those but it shows this security chip thing is a load of hooey.
    It's all because there's no system level USB access by default, so for the legacy stuff it has to happen on a case by case basis at the application level. I know the Skullgirls devs wrote a USB driver for sticks (with the help of some Sony first party devs) that Netherrealms have subsequently licensed for Mortal Kombat X. Hopefully something similar will happen on the wheel front. If somebody writes drivers for the Logitech wheels they might be able to make some money licensing them to racing game devs.

Interested in joining AUF? Full instructions can be found HERE.

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mudman05

Default Racing Wheels for PS4

This was on GT Planets site for a rumoured new wheel

Logitech G29 Driving Force Wheel Rumored for Production
    May 21st, 2015 by Jordan
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432246123.265195.jpg

The sim-racing hardware community is buzzing today after leaked photos and info appear to show a “Logitech G29 Driving Force” wheel prototype.

We haven’t heard much from the company since they announced they were pulling out of the sim-racing market back in January of 2013. Things weren’t going well for Logitech around that time, when Bracken Darrell took over as CEO at the peripheral maker, but the tides have turned.

According to recent comments by Mr. Darrell in the Wall Street Journal, Logitech plans to launch an additional 20-25 new products this year alone, so it’s not unreasonable to presume the G29 may be part of that pipeline.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432246183.058644.jpg

Sleuths have also found legal documents hosted on Russian website Novocert which confirm the existence of both the G29 and an accompanying shifter, the packaging for which can be seen in one of the leaked photos.

Of course, as this is a leak, there are still no solid technical details or compatibility information available. However, the button pattern appears to be designed with the PS4 in mind, and would likely function with the PC as well, if its predecessors are any indication.

E3, the world’s largest and most prominent video game industry event, takes place in Los Angeles next month and would be an obvious place for Logitech to reveal the new hardware. We’ll keep an eye out for more details on the wheel as they are released.
    Last edited by mudman05; 22-05-2015 at 07:19 AM.

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

It's looking imminent indeed Muddy. Logitech wheel is coming back

Sources close to Logitech have offered up some details on the firm's newest racing wheel.
    Reportedly the G29 will be licensed to Sony for use on the PS3 and PS4, meaning the wheel won't be compatible or released for PC. There'll only be one model of the wheel on offer - with a RRP of 189 Euros - with a gear shift add-on to be sold separately.
    An official announcement looks set to be around mid to late June, potentially putting a reveal right slap in the middle of E3, with a release possibly following shortly after.

Link

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    rb---1
    XBLA
    N/A

The more I see and hear about this wheel the more concerned I get.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

i think i will be refusing to buy any logitech wheels just on principle from now on.
    not happy with the way they treated everyone with support.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Quote Originally Posted by rb---1 View Post
    The more I see and hear about this wheel the more concerned I get.
    How so Rb?

More competition the better isn't it?

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

AUF Full Member - Halfway Glory-Hound (5000+) mmmgilly's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Chiips View Post
    How so Rb?

More competition the better isn't it?
    I see it as, If they are working on a new wheel, then they cannot have the excuse of "they are no longer in the market" to fall back on when asked for PS4 and G25/G27 compatibility.

I can definitely see and agree with how logitech fans would get upset that they paid good money for a wheel expecting it to work, only for logitech to bring out a new one without providing support for older models. I can also see how providing support for those old wheels would be a detriment to Logitech, there's so many old wheels out there that if they suddenly became compatible with the PS4 the market for a new wheel would crash. Logitech are in a lose lose situation, they might has well have just stayed out of the competition alltogether.
    "Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000ft and climbing"

"What have I done, that poor dog" GuitarGod-2016

"thanks to gilly for giving me "head" ....... shots.. 5 to be exact.. thanks bud.. took a load off .." Keppida aka Des 2017

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Hence the b***s*** security chip excuse eh

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    rb---1
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mmmgilly View Post
    I see it as, If they are working on a new wheel, then they cannot have the excuse of "they are no longer in the market" to fall back on when asked for PS4 and G25/G27 compatibility.

I can definitely see and agree with how logitech fans would get upset that they paid good money for a wheel expecting it to work, only for logitech to bring out a new one without providing support for older models. I can also see how providing support for those old wheels would be a detriment to Logitech, there's so many old wheels out there that if they suddenly became compatible with the PS4 the market for a new wheel would crash. Logitech are in a lose lose situation, they might has well have just stayed out of the competition alltogether.
    My sentiments almost exactly Gilly. Plus looking at the wheel it is clearly a parts bin special. That is the same rim as the g27 with all the buttons stuck on from the GT Driving force wheel. With that kind of laziness I doubt the internals of the wheel motor have been researched and upgraded so we are being asked to pay $350+ for something many people already have, minus the h-pattern lever which is extra. Seems like a shitty deal to me.

Yeah the thrustmaster t300 costs a fair bit more but it was redesigned from the ground up and is one of the best consumer wheels on the market. The only bonus of the g29 is hopefully putting pressure on thrustmaster to reduce the RRP slightly on the t300.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    rb---1
    XBLA
    N/A

Oh and not pc compatible? That's a BS marketing decision to keep the g27 in the market and therefore charge a separate premium while saying that the existing wheels cannot be made compatible with the PS4.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mudman05

I would get a TS300 if they weren't so expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mudman05

Ok so Logitech have finally come out to confirm new wheel. No price for oz yet.
    After several leaks, Logitech have officially announced their return to the sim-racing hardware market with the G29 and G920 steering wheels. The two models are roughly identical, though the G29 is compatible with both the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, while the G920 is compatible with the Xbox One and does not include the same red adjustable dial. Both models will also be compatible with the PC.

As inferred from the most recent Amazon leak, the wheels feature the same internal hardware mechanisms used in the G27, including helical gears and a dual-motor force feedback system. The rim itself is made of hand-stitched leather, and includes the shift meter introduced on the G27. The brake pedal also features progressive resistance.

The G29 model will be available in July, with the G920 releasing in October. Both will be priced at £299, €399, or $399 USD. A six-speed gated shifter, which appears similar to the one sold with the G27, will now be sold separately for 59.99 EUR and USD.

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) JORDS686's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    JORDS686
    XBLA
    N/A

Chances are, that will equate to $500ish here. A lot of money for a wheel! There needs to be a decent $150ish model. Sure it'll feel cheap but at least it would be accessible.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    rb---1
    XBLA
    N/A

Be more than that Jords. I know I keep harping on about the thrustmaster t300rs but that is $399 in the US. Using the t300 as an exchange rate between US and AUS, US$399 equates to about $750. Yikes!

Seeing as Dodgitech have quoted US$399 for the G29, that is a lot of money for something which uses the same old technology as the G27 and is sub par. Minus the gear shifter! What a rort.
    Last edited by rb---1; 12-06-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

It makes business sense for them (you'll likely do the same in their shoes), but indeed consumers are left with a salty taste in their mouths, and that's not from licking Des' armpits and sniffing his onion.

They need another Driving Force GT equivalent for PS4
    Last edited by Chiips; 12-06-2015 at 07:08 PM.

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) JORDS686's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    JORDS686
    XBLA
    N/A

I'll be sticking to the troller unfortunately. Its a shame because I do love the wheel. and wheels are worth upwards of a second a lap.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mudman05

If it was $300-$400 I would get it but anything around the thrustmaster price of $600+ is outa my league. The driving force GT wheel was a really good option

AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) hecandangle's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    hecandangle
    XBLA
    N/A

I said that when they were $250 but I still got one, lol. PS3/ ps4 and pc compatibility is a massive plus. The shifter sux imo and its definitely slower so no way I'd get that.

I can confirm the above post

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

The Logitech G29 is now available for ~$500 with the extra shifter ~$79

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

AUF Full Member - Base Install
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    KatamariKun
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Chiips View Post
    The Logitech G29 is now available for ~$500 with the extra shifter ~$79

Mmmm, when GT7 comes out, I'll look at getting one of these and donating the G27 to the fater in law if I am feeling nice :P