PSN
    Kakkers-
    XBLA
    Steam: Kakkers

Default Multi | Elite Dangerous

ELITE DANGEROUS... it's EVE but not boring

Release date: 16 December

Ahh I guess TIPS can go here

1. Rolling the ship with the mouse is annoying, bind roll to A and D and switch yaw to the mouse.

2. If you have the mouse to do it (works on keyboard too) bind 100% thrust to a button as well as 50% thrust. 100% is mostly for convenience, 50% because it's the optimal speed for turning, especially useful for combat.

3. I also bound the Frameshift Drive to a mouse button as well, it's default is J which is kind of annoying.

Mostly this should be a good space(heh) for stories, which I think this game will bring a lot of.
    "Another reason to love AUF, you guys have skills, even those of us that think we are unskilled have uber-skills compared to the ham-fisted gaming atrocities I witnessed tonight." - Smilingmonkey

"You see nurf, the problem with stupid people is, they are too stupid to realise how stupid they are, and thus these stupid people need constant reminders to not do stupid things that the rest of us just know not to do." - mmmgilly

So joining AUF, that's a thing and can be done HERE...do it...right MEOW!

AUF Full Member - Almost To The Point Of No Return (9000+) Kacoul-'s Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Kakkers-
    XBLA

They way I sent a message was buy pressing 2, which opens the comms area then just select the name, then text chat.

I started very close to you SM, about 3 jumps away. I spent the night traveling to my free Eagle that was docked close by. Took some nice pics of the station I started in and the one the Eagle was in. Then went to a nearby unexplored system called Wolf(bunch of numbers) and super cruised around to the different planets, scanning them. Met a fellow commander in Wolf who asked for directions to the nearest black market and naturally because I despise criminals I sent him to the nearest space station that I knew both had no black market and a heavy contingent of space police. I can only hope[ he and his cargo were destroyed, would have done it myself but he wasn't wanted and my Eagle wasn't fit with a interdicter.

After exploring everything there was to see in Wolf I ended up making enough to buy a fuel scoop, so now I can use any star to refuel and have decided to turn my Eagle into my little exploration ship, fuel scoop should be useful for going deep into unexplored territory with no stations around to refuel at.

"Another reason to love AUF, you guys have skills, even those of us that think we are unskilled have uber-skills compared to the ham-fisted gaming atrocities I witnessed tonight." - Smilingmonkey

"You see nurf, the problem with stupid people is, they are too stupid to realise how stupid they are, and thus these stupid people need constant reminders to not do stupid things that the rest of us just know not to do." - mmmgilly

Super Moderator AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) themonkeysmiles's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

Nice one Kakkers. Yeah, I recognised the system you were in when I logged last night. I had been flying all over the place though. I found my freeagle by accident. I should have sold it while I was there, but I lit out on an explorey kind of manic episode and moved a few jumps away before even realising.

Press 2 huh...That would have been a plan. I was pressing 'enter' for quick comms I think and getting nowhere.

Looks like I will have to fire fraps up now and collect a few screenies. Maybe tell a few little stories of my low budget space adventure. I had work today, so I am a bit smashed. I think I may fall asleep at the stick and wind up light years from where I want to be....Though that could be good too. Imagine flying away from a star for hours, and finding something. That would be beyond cool.

Anyway, screenies incoming.

I see you are doing the mouse and keyboard thing. My setup includes: T Flight HOTAS X, Trackir V5 and voice attack (which is crazy stuff, telling my ship to do things and having it answer...so nertastic).

I wonder at playing in a group now. I did stuff which may make it difficult, I am not sure. When I was playing, I would get a regular freeze, every five minutes which lasted for 4 to 5 seconds (an age in computer times). I looked online for solution and others were experiencing the same thing. They stopped it by editing the Appconfig.xml file. Changing the upnp status from '1' to '0'. I located said file and did this. Freezing gone, wondering about group play now though. Not really savvy enough to know what I have done, but do know it fixed the problem I had.

WaRD special consultant..

Super Moderator AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) RayTraced's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    RayTraced

I want links to what this game is about please. Im lazy. please help me!

AUF Full Member - Warbird Firehead (750+) rb---1's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    rb---1
    XBLA
    N/A

Yessss! I was reading your comments in the PC thread on this game and was hoping you would start a new thread for Elite: Dangerous.

I'm looking forward to reading your story's guys, and post screenshots/ vids if possible. This may be very tempting after my PC upgrade in the new year.

Super Moderator AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) themonkeysmiles's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

Jeez, I just made a mess of mining. First, my laser went into thermal overload and would not cool down. Then I didn't realise I need cargo space as well as the refinery, so I was stuffed basically, flew around a few systems to get a 4 rack cargo to replace the refinery, couldn't find one. So could not do missions. Basically stuffed. Could have explored I suppose, but wanted to try something new, so I wiped my save and started over.

New system, new ship, no money. But, my freeagle was in the same system as me. As I was going to get it, I got interdicted and killed the guy. First money, low bounty. Have decided to go the bounty hunter route until something better presents itself. Well, until I can afford a flash ship, like a hauler for the mining, or a cobra for the muti roles that ship can play.

So, as of now I have one crappy throwaway sidewinder with borrowed lasers, and a shiny eagle waiting for me to be able to afford a kill warrent scanner. And some fancy weapons. Missions for a while first I think, the system I am in seems nice, multple outposts/stations, agriculture based, no huge distances to travel. I think I will work on my rep here for a bit.

edit: And then I found this, well I didn't go there, just found the vid.

Hmm, probably best to go to the youtubes for this one, to get bigger viewer thingy...
    Last edited by themonkeysmiles; 24-11-2014 at 10:28 PM.

AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) Stonemull's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

My birthday is Dec 15 so I am thinking I might buy this for myself
    confused as to whats available though ..
    I want the whole galaxy, so that rules out the mercenary edition. I think .. or is that just extra dlc ?

Then all I can see is the beta which is currently closed.

So am I stuffed on a pre-order and have to wait for release and miss out on some goodies ?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Stonemull View Post
    My birthday is Dec 15 so I am thinking I might buy this for myself
    confused as to whats available though ..
    I want the whole galaxy, so that rules out the mercenary edition. I think .. or is that just extra dlc ?

Then all I can see is the beta which is currently closed.

So am I stuffed on a pre-order and have to wait for release and miss out on some goodies ?
    My understanding of the whole thing is this Stoney.

Mercenary edition has been around for a while. It did not give access to the beta run (which I bought into), but it is a bunch of extras (cosmetic stuff like ship skins etc and a free ship). It was a deal to entice pre-orders. The full game is a part of it, so by pre-ordering the merc edition you will have everything I have now, plus whatever they change as we approach full release, and possibly a few extra skins. So, full galaxy is the basic game. Later DLC they wat to include will be planetary landings, first person walking around outside of the ship, in stations and on planets/moons. And a bunch of other stuff I cant recall from various interviews etc. I think they are actually working on the planetary landing stuff right now, and having crew on your ship, either npc human or automated, androids I suppose. All the ships that are larger than a single seat fight are already modelled for moving around on them they say, but I dunno what the time frame of any of that stuff is. Braben did say that DLC, such as planetary landing will be optional, so you can still have the game even if you opt out of it. At least that is his vision.

The full galaxy is in. I looked around it in the map yesterday, zoomed right in to the centre...there be black holes in there, so many stars.........

It is just mind blowing, knowing that, if I chose to equip my ship appropriately, that I could go there, pass through the centre of the galaxy, and keep going out through the furthest spiral arm until I reached the last star...on the other side of the galaxy...mind blowing.

I am going to track down a pulsar one of these days...speaking of which, I found a bunch of the more famous nebula whist I was looking around. I have got to get close to one of these things and have it dominate the view. I can see the horsehead from where I am, but it is a long way off.
    Last edited by themonkeysmiles; 26-11-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

cheers, not sure what page I looked at earlier but what confused me was that it said the mercenary edition was included with the 'full game' and consisted of 55 systems, free ship etc. it made it sound like the merc ed was dlc.
    now if I look its much clearer. I can no longer find the same text, I think the site changed in the last few hours ??

or i'm going nyuts..

ok, no rush, can't play till dec 16

been watching a few youtubes, looks way cool and I like the way they have expansions planned out.

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Default PC | Elite Dangerous

Wasn't sure where to post this but I figure it's space related, saw it on Reddit, thought you guys might like it.

http://en.spaceengine.org

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Locoevo; 26-11-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    CLICK ON MY MANBOOBS TO JOIN AUF

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Locoevo View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this but I figure it's space related, saw it on Reddit, thought you guys might like it.

http://en.spaceengine.org

I put a post about it in the space thread a few hours back.
    looks cool.

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Ah ok, I keep forgetting we have the outer space thread lol.

CLICK ON MY MANBOOBS TO JOIN AUF

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) repercuss's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    repercuss
    XBLA
    N/A

Apparently my frugal kick start contribution has given me access to the 'gamma' version.
    Commander repercuss reporting for duty.

Consequences and Repercussions

H.H > R.C > You

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) Arctic-Blood's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Arctic_Blood
    XBLA
    N/A

Well, I think that bounty hunting is something that I'll do for a while in Elite.

I managed to save for a Viper and while the basic pulse lasers do nicely, I got one extra beam laser to up the damage. After a few hours of searching for these "so called assassinations," through the USS (unidentified signal source) flying around the system. They offer and vary a lot of credits to be made or collecting bounties. At one USS I found platinum and on the black market they are worth 8.5k creds each. scooped up at least 8 with 2 left over because cargo space I thought that I can not go into any other stations. To minimize the risk I went to the industrial stations because they don't ever scan your ship and check to see if they ever have a black market. Found one and it was called "Pierce Hanger" in "LTT 17868" and I use that for selling any cargo I find in USS's. In total I probably made over 200k in both the black market and bounty hunting.

With all that money I constantly keep on outfitting my Viper to make it perform better. Replaced the pulse lasers for two beam lasers. During one bounty hunting run in another system called "Flech" I docked into a station to refuel, repair and turn in some bounties. When I went to the outfitting facility I found you can upgrade your power plant. So I did upgrade that and it improved my ships power grid by 2 MW (I think) and that enabled me to put even more weapons on my Viper.

After all that was done I moved back to my staging system "Cosi" and did some bounties and USS's. I repeatedly check my contacts and scan every ship that I can. Sometimes I see ships with 300 creds or 2000, but the 1 that caught my eye was 50k. He was in an Orca so it was pretty much an easy kill. Came behind him in supercruise to interdict, he submitted. Even though they're NPC's he pleaded for his life but I showed him no mercy. I scanned him down with my "kill warrant scanner," so I can confirm he has the bounty (he does) and I proceed to shoot, ending his life.

After he was dead I docked up at a station and collected the bounty. I had about 70k creds about now. So then I decided to get one more weapon and that was a Rail gun. With the power plant that I upgraded before I was able to fit them with 1MW left. Then I wanted to test these things out and they were amazing. Did my usual thing checking my contacts and navigation for any USS's and bounties. Found a USS that has superconducters, excellent I thought. Scooped them all up to sell on the black market which I did moments after. The Rail guns are an amazing weapon, haven't tested it out on shields but it can wreck through hulls fairly easy, depending on the target. The ammo is not cheap though at 12k cost for full but you'll usually make that all back anyway. Before the server shut down for gamma patch 1.04 I bought another Rail gun with the creds I made of the bounties and superconducters

Here are some pictures

/edit After some further testing, running the rails guns repeatedly are expensive so I'm going to save them for the big targets, aka Cobras, Asp's and maybe Anacondas
    Last edited by Arctic-Blood; 29-11-2014 at 05:35 AM.
    "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning"
    Attributed to Erwin Rommel

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

I have not been doing much beyond travelling around to upgrade my Eagle. I have done a little bounty hunting and some courier missions. But I have removed the discovery scanner to fit in a few more cargo slots, and upgraded the original cargo space a little, so the tiny ship can be filled up pretty well. I have also found a new power unit and power distributor, but I will have to keep looking for high tech systems to upgrade them further. Currently I am not able to mount a third weapon without other systems shutting down. It's an interesting juggle finding the sweet spot. I would very much like to find an upgrade for my Frame shift drive, but a search of 50 Ly or so has not yielded one yet. Also, the shields could do with a bit more juice, once again, not found one. It is a fun little ship to fly around in, very combat oriented, so a bit limiting despite the upgrades I have attempted. You have to choose your battles and fly like a champion to survive combat against some of the ships out there.

I am going to fly back to Aiabiko system today and pick up my hauler to have another go at mining. The first effort was a complete waste of money and time. A failure. This time I have more space and cash, plus another ship to recoup any losses from my prospecting...Well, here's hoping.

Here are a couple of random screenies just to see if I remeber how to do it.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

The return of the amazing double post.

This time, I actually have information to share. As I metioned previously, I have been giving mining a try.

I will report at this stage that I not only got it to work, but I love it. It provides a very nice alternative to bounty hunting and mission running which is quite profitable if you are willing to put in some time and patience.

To begin, I had bought a hauler from my mission running proceeds. I ran around with this thing for a while and upgraded the systems to make a pretty nice little space van. Light, good jump range 12Ly or so, and pretty fast as these things go. So mining. Here are my tips.

1. Do not sell, or replace your discovery scanner. You will need it to find asteroid belts around stars in some systems despite them being on the system info map. Also, the best experience is flying out to an unexplored system and scanning around for these asteroid clusters and ringed planets.

2. Do upgrade your cargo space, biggest you can get on your ship. Keep in mind that one of your cargo slots will need to be taken up by a refinery. So, if you have 2x4 cargo thingys, upgrade one to 8 and replace the other with a refinery. As far as refineries go, find one with as many bins as you can. I have a 3 binner, which means it can refine 3 different types of raw material at a time. This is key. I have seen a 6 bin one, it is expensive though.

3. Mining laser, you won't get far without one. Also, depending on your system and where you mine in it, you might like to mount ecm or chaff or point defense on your hard points for self preservation whilst transporting. Just make sure your power requirements are within limits. Better shields, thrusters etc are also helpful with the running away and not losing a cargo hold full of platinum.

4. What to look for. On your system map, in the info bit, any asteroid clusters will display what they are. Metallic and metal rich are the big money earners. They also come in a variety of capacities. Pristine down to bugger all (not game term). Pristine is the best obviously. Planetary rings are also minable, from anywhere, not just the resource extration points. Just drop in, enjoy the view and mine away.

5. How to do it. Well, the only way currently to find out what an asteroid contains is by blowing a chunk off and scanning it by locking on. This will tell you what minerals it contains in what percentages. Just fly around the rocks until you find a nice one, and chip away at it. I like to remove 4 (chunks degrade pretty fast) and then scoop them up into the refinery via cargo scoop. In the refinery screen (right panel, in 'cargo') choose the minerals in the refinery, it will then refine those metals automatically until a different mineral is collected. You can manually jettison bits you don't want as well at any time. So, keep collecting chunks until you reach one tonne, it will then be placed into the cargo bay. Practice is key here, scooping can be a bit of fun I like to chase the moving chunk and catch it, they do stop after a while though.

6. Profit... Ok, so collecting the most profitable materials is crazy. I am talking platinum, palladium, gold, even silver. I would suggest platinum and palladium for the biggest profit though. The system I am in buys plat for 18K creds and pallad for 13K creds per tonne. So, if you have a full cargo hold of that crap, good money yeah. Gold fetches close to 10K and silver arond 6K. The rocky minerals don't have so much profit in them, but could be useful if you want to run those missions where you get paid for locating a resource.

&. Some general tips. Firstly, watch your scanner, any new contact could be a pirate, check them. make sure you don't pick up anther miners fragment, especially if they have an escort. I saw a group of NPC miners at one cluster, a Cobra doing the mining and two escorting sidewinders providing cover. Interesting I thought.
    Remember to put energy into your weapons when using the mining laser, also assign it to group 2. I found that if you are lasing and, at the same time, check your refinery, you can accidently jettison some mineral you have collected. I jettisonned a 97% chunk of palladium last night, 13k down the dunny in one quick motion just because I had the trigger pulled.
    The refinery bins can be filled to 100% after your cargo bay is full. This effectively gives you as many extra cargo slots as your refinery contains. In my case I have three, so my hauler can carry 11 tonnes back to the station.
    Never submit to interdiction....run like hell.

So, just for my AUF friends I will tell you about two systems I use.

Tatil. This is my new home base. I know Barra was close to this one a while ago. So, this system has four or five stations, three different factions and is quite active, close by are other systems with upgrades. There are two asteroid belts. The one I use is A. I have found gold,silver, palladium, platinum. I have checked three of five clusters (cluster 3 is where I found platinum). Also, Tatil 6 is a gas giant with a metallic ring system. I have mined silver from it, but not found any of the other stuff. It is a big planetary ring though, with two resource extraction points, so there may be something different at those. I just jumped into a random place.

Perendi. I had to scan this one. It has asteroid belts close to the star. I found gold, silver and palladium here. There are two outposts in this system, plus a lot of unexplored space for the adventurer close by.

In closing. I have made four mining trips so far and have gone from 37K creds to just over 400K. Also, it is relaxing mining and listening to music. Guardians of the galaxy awesome hits volume 1, thems my current tunes.
    Last edited by themonkeysmiles; 02-12-2014 at 01:29 PM.

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) barra17's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    barra17
    XBLA
    Barra92

Found a system not to far from me that has most of the ship upgrades the systems name is TYR.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Arctic_Blood
    XBLA
    N/A

Upgraded to Gamma 1.05 and the change-log said they added more internal upgrades for the ships. So I checked and saw that the frame shift drive upgrade was available. Man it would be awesome having a 20 LY jump range. (it was worth 1.6 mil)

Also sold my Viper which was in the end worth 600k creds and bought the Cobra and decided to try out Smilings idea. Man a lot of creds is being made. especially with the 24 ton space in the cobra which is great. (if you upgrade 1 of the 8 ton compartments to 16 tons) and with the leftover bought the refinery that has 4 bins. Makes things a lot easier than last time I did it.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

Yeah Arctic. It has been a lot better effort than the one I was describing to you in game a while ago, what a bloody shambles that was...lol.

I figured it out though, and have made a heap of cash in the process. I am now deciding which of the big ships to aim for come full release. I am leaning towards the Asp, it has some excellent views from the cockpit (something the hauler does not). The weapon placements actually make sense, huge cargo capacity, turns as fast as a cobra for such a big unit, and is as tough as an old boot. It does cost a megashitton of credits though. Alternatively is the Fed dropship or Python. Python looks sweet, but I have not seen the cockpit views. Dropship requires high federal rank, as does the Imerial clipper, so I doubt I will be able to get them easily. I can't say how that system will change once full release is go though. I think a lot of things are going to change regarding interaction with factions in general.

Anyway. I bought a little sidewinder, stripped it of everything I could and flew down to Aiabiko to pick up my Eagle yesterday. Now I have both ships docked at Swift Port in Tatil. I am doing a bit of bounty hunting just for a change of play. Bought a kill warrant scanner and FSD interdiction module. Have not tried to interdict anyone yet, but am going to hang around the resourse extraction points for a while to see if I can spot where the pirates are coming from. I did collect 18K creds inbounties last night in system, so it is not too bad here. I have 6 other bounties which will need to be cashed in at Federation stations (Tatil is independant), and even one in Empire space...wherever the hell that is....

I am hoping the new update has not messed the mining up in this system, though prospecting around for awesome stuff is pretty good too....

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) barra17's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    barra17
    XBLA
    Barra92

Quote Originally Posted by smilingmonkey View Post
    Yeah Arctic. It has been a lot better effort than the one I was describing to you in game a while ago, what a bloody shambles that was...lol.

I figured it out though, and have made a heap of cash in the process. I am now deciding which of the big ships to aim for come full release. I am leaning towards the Asp, it has some excellent views from the cockpit (something the hauler does not). The weapon placements actually make sense, huge cargo capacity, turns as fast as a cobra for such a big unit, and is as tough as an old boot. It does cost a megashitton of credits though. Alternatively is the Fed dropship or Python. Python looks sweet, but I have not seen the cockpit views. Dropship requires high federal rank, as does the Imerial clipper, so I doubt I will be able to get them easily. I can't say how that system will change once full release is go though. I think a lot of things are going to change regarding interaction with factions in general.

Anyway. I bought a little sidewinder, stripped it of everything I could and flew down to Aiabiko to pick up my Eagle yesterday. Now I have both ships docked at Swift Port in Tatil. I am doing a bit of bounty hunting just for a change of play. Bought a kill warrant scanner and FSD interdiction module. Have not tried to interdict anyone yet, but am going to hang around the resourse extraction points for a while to see if I can spot where the pirates are coming from. I did collect 18K creds inbounties last night in system, so it is not too bad here. I have 6 other bounties which will need to be cashed in at Federation stations (Tatil is independant), and even one in Empire space...wherever the hell that is....

I am hoping the new update has not messed the mining up in this system, though prospecting around for awesome stuff is pretty good too....
    I was in your system last night SM and all i could find was indite. Any tips on witch belts are best?

Last edited by barra17; 03-12-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

I have not been in the belt since the update. But I was getting gold, silver palladium and platinum from TATIL A BELT CLUSTER 3.

Cluster 3 was the only one I found platinum in, all the others had palladium, gold and silver for me.

Did you see other miners in there? I saw a python with cobra escorts yesterday. That would be a serious piracy challenge.

These clusters also have indite, bertrandite, gallite etc. I will assume you checked every asteroid in the bunch, because they are all different. If not, then you gotta check every asteroid in the bunch.

edit: actually, cluster 4 was by far the worst one by my notes, not many asteroids and mostly gallite and indite. I flew around a few times and found palladium but very little.
    Last edited by themonkeysmiles; 03-12-2014 at 05:48 PM.

AUF Full Member - Almost To The Point Of No Return (9000+) Kacoul-'s Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Kakkers-
    XBLA

Apparently bounties are getting a 10x increase in value. In other words killing a single eagle is going to net you about 10k. Also ammo cost is being reduced by about 50%.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

Wow.

That kind of increase is pretty big. I have had 20K cred bounties, ten times that is a fair chunk of change. Ammo cost is interesting too. I would be tempted to load up a cobra with autocannon if the ammo was cheaper. I run lasers on everything now to boost money collection.

Barra, I found a system close by, well 35 Ly close, that has a pristine rating for its asteroid belts and planetary rings. I took a trip out and looked in at one asteroid cluster, but didn't find any of the good stuff in there (plat, pallad, gold). There are 10 clusters in belt A though, so more investigation at another time. I then flew out to a planetary ring. It had two resource extraction points. I checked one and quickly filled my hold with plat and palladium. One rock out there was averaging 20% platinum and 18-25% palladium. That rock was a winner man. From that little experience it seems pristine is much better than major reserves. Of course, the system has only one port but it does have a decent amount of upgrades. You can also buy Cobra and Asp there if you have the cash. If you have a lot of cash, the shipyard has the Python. 56 and a half million creds for that one.

I got there from Tatil in 4 jumps, the uneconomical navigation way. To do this your ship will need to be able to jump over 14Ly at a time though.

System specs.

NJIKAN

Federation

pristines resources. Asteroid belt A, metal rich pristine (yet to be fully checked), NJIKAN 4 A ring, pristine metallic.

The commodoties market was offering damn good prices for metals the other day. Gold over 10 grand. Plat 19K and Palladium 18.5K.

The resource extraction point I went to was a full on combat zone, cops everywhere, pirates all over the place and lots of miners. It was a good time. I think it would be good to fly the eagle in there to pick at the bounties. Oh, yeah, interdictions in this system are full on. If you can fly to avoid, or run like hell they are no problem, but be aware there are going to be a few of them.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

I can see I am going to be the double post King in this thread.

So, I have been experimenting a little with the planetary ring as mentioned above. I wondered if there was a noticable difference in what part of the ring you went to to mine. I tried close to the extraction points (within 50 KM), far away from (10 of 1000's of KM) etc etc. I have found that the best collections so far have been from the portion of the ring which is closest to the planet itself.

So you have to fly right across the entire ring and drop out of SC just before the gap between ring and planet.

My osbervations so far are that these inner rings can drop percentages of ore from 30 to 50 pretty regularly, and I have seen combinations of ores like plat/gold, palladium/plat, that style of thing.

Time spent filling my 36 cargo spaces in my Cobra dropped by close to one third by going to the ring closest to the planet rather than the extraction points or just dropping in randomly.

Also, for bounty hunting, I chased pirates ( when I say pirates, I don't mean anyone fighting, I mean the local pirate faction. Just them, I left everyone else alone) at the extraction point in between mining moments last night for about an hour and logged 70K creds in bounties plus a hold half full of plat. It's a nice combination of mine and fight to break up the routine of pure mining. I recommend it.
    Last edited by themonkeysmiles; 08-12-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    rb---1
    XBLA
    N/A

Double post away mate. I love reading what you're doing in this game. If it weren't for me doing a thesis next year, I would download this game but I think it would lead to me failing. Hence, I'm living my exploration through you, Kakkers and Barra. All I ask for are cool stories and pictures when you guys can be bothered.

AUF Full Member - Middle Distance Man (1500+) skruff's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    skruff
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeah same here,makes for great reading smilingmonkey

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/12/now...play-pc-games/
    This guy has a sweet setup.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    rb---1
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by skruff View Post
    Yeah same here,makes for great reading smilingmonkey

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/12/now...play-pc-games/
    This guy has a sweet setup.

Sweet set up but I would go with an Oculus Rift over that any day.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

Ah, ok.

I just had a power outage here due to storms, but I will see what happened to my position in space.

I had just jumped out to the rings around Njikan 4. It's a pretty blue gas giant. I was flying down to approach the thinnest and closest ring to the planets surface...To give you some idea how far away that is from the planet though, it would take me 7 days (real time) to fly there under thrusters. Anyway, I jumped out of super cruise (that's the superliminal engine thingy), I was doing 30 km/sec at that point. When I 'popped' into the asteroid field I damn near crashed into one of them, and it was dark. Ususally there is enough debris around to create a 'foglike' effect. This part of the ring was dark, no fog and the planet and stars were very clear. It was pretty creepy actually. I will grab some screenies if I can.

I lost contact with the server just before the power went out, so I don't really know what I will be getting back into.

Edit: Screenie.

I had to manipulate the image a fair bit, as it is quite dark. But there are some of the asteroids and the planet in the background. Turns out this location was rubbish, unless you wanted to mine silver and bertrandite. I wanted much more exotic metals so I flew off to the resource extraction point which was a mere .58 Ls away. I did manage to grab 9 tonnes of sweet ore, and defend myself from a rogue pirate guy (thanks for the bounty guy...). But then, no shit I actually fell asleep while flying in an asteroid belt (work makes me tired, the whole starting activity at 5am and doing stuff drains me for some reason). Anyway, flying a million cred ship, in a three dimensional space filled with giant, occassionally spinning rocks is just a bad plan, so I logged out for safety's sake...responsible non?

Now that I have located my photobucket thingy with the fancy editing wossname it has, I will do some more screenies. Another two or three mining trips and I will be able to afford an intermediate discovery scanner and a detailed surface scanner. A bit of a fuel scoop arrangement and I might take off into the unexplored systems and do a bit of fossiking out there...
    Last edited by themonkeysmiles; 09-12-2014 at 12:09 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Arctic_Blood
    XBLA
    N/A

Well I was reading on the beta forums about the confirmation of having no wipe at launch.

Which is great news I guess, but that will mean we'll be ahead of the pre-order people.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

bitches ...