Thread: Home theatre

AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) Stonemull's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Say I wanted to record documentarys, can it do anything automatically ?
    I dunno, might live without a DVR, hardly anything worth watching nowadays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Had to fix my Muteki !

It's always on with the TV and noticed today that it wasn't when I went to bore myself with episode 8 of Iron Fist.
    Turned it on, it clicked a bit, then 'Protection' on the display and turn off, noooooo !

Pulled top off and was about to start measuring offsets and bias currents and noticed a little patch of white corrosion around Q405, I thought maybe gekko poop but it was pure white, slightly fluffy and we have had a week of nearly constant rain.
    Dust picks up moisture and starts corrosion.
    Gave it a scrub with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol and it came up spotless as per photo, better yet, no more 'protection'.

https://imgur.com/a/UQsGT

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Note to self: If Amp doesn't work, check for Gecko poop first THEN corrosion. Got it.

Interested in joining AUF? Just CLICK HERE to learn more about our clan, including how to go about joining
    CLICK ON MY MANBOOBS TO JOIN AUF

AUF Full Member - Middle Distance Man (1500+) jackal_84's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Did you taste it to make sure Stone?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Default Home theatre

Quote Originally Posted by Locoevo View Post
    Note to self: If Amp doesn't work, check for Gecko poop first THEN corrosion. Got it.

Interested in joining AUF? Just CLICK HERE to learn more about our clan, including how to go about joining
    Lost a video card due to a mouse pee, I always make sure I have all the rear slots covered now.
    Card was horizontal in the tower and it piddled right where the card entered the edge connector, it corroded some tracks, destroying the card and damaged the edge connector.

Gekkos are everywhere at times, I have counted 30 from the couch at one time, a half dozen in the room and up to 12 outside on a single window, not as bad as Darwin but getting close.

edit: just took this pic ..
    there are more on the bottom too..

http://imgur.com/a/czvNG

Last edited by Stonemull; 22-03-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Default Home theatre

TLDR, stuck a system in bedroom, love it, watching 'history of the eagles' atm.

Decided to hunt for a bedroom system cause it sucks moving from the lounge with Sony 7.2 to the bedroom with Aldi 0.03 (cheap tv audio). I went into a pawnbrokers and saw a sony av amp a few days ago, got me thinking.

On a mission, midnight checked gumtree and wrote down numbers ..
    the problem, to buy an Amp, then speakers .. or a whole system .. or speakers then an amp. gumtree time.
    Looked at 5.1 and even 7.2 systems, all far too big for a bedroom, speakers though a little 5.1.set of Wharfedales turned my head for $200.

edit: this setup https://www.ecoustics.com/products/w...-loudspeakers/

No hate online only love for them so after a 10am phone call within the hour they were in my car.
    brand new house in brand new estate behind helensvale shopping centre, kindy aged kid running amok, they paid $1200 in cairns but new house had ceiling audio, no haggling gave her full price as it seemed well fair to me .. plus I asked if she wanted to haggle and she honestly looked heartbroken. So I just laughed and gave her the cash.
    By brand new house, I mean maybe a week old, half the houses were open homes .. house was empty I think apart from a bed.

Dropped in the cash place and bought the amp on the way home, I got 2 days warranty lol, might take it back tomorrow, it had HDMI but no ARC audio, I have it connected to tv via optical and HDMI and despite no ARC audio the CEC is working and the tv remote controls the amp power and volume. Also no usb or bluetooth and the calibration microphone is missing.. oh its a Sony STR-DH700, paid $150 but I reckon I can find better for $100 if I get off my butt.

But the audio .. damn its awesome I think, only watched a bit of 'Bright', played some spotify pink floyd and now this Eagles doco cause it was the most musical thing I could see searching netflix for 'music' and when Hotel California comes on I act a bit like the Desperado guy on Seinfeldt.
    .. oo Joe Ealsh is being introduced to the band..

On the opening credits for the doco they play an arcapello harmony in the studio and its like sitting in the middle of the studio with em.

I placed the speakers around my bed centered even though the TV is on my right, my room is wide so the keft and rights are level with the foot of the bed, about a metre from the bed and a metre from the walls behind them.
    Centre is on a bookshelf 2m from the foot of the bed,
    rears are mounted on the wall backing the top of the bed.

Damn this is one directional system but it makes my muteki system sound like its underwater, this one is bright and clear but maybe a little flat on the low end, bass is ok, was kicking the wall on gunshots in Bright but maybe that 400Hz range is a bit lacking yet. I just set the left and right speakers to 'small' but thats it for setup so far.
    Crossover on sub not seeming to do much but I am plugged into the amps sub line out, the amp might be doing the majority of the sub filtering.

Not sure if I have the settings right cause I am getting all voice to the centre only. Also need to muck around with delays I think,
    I wantbto get a wall of sound from the front instead of an obvious 3 speakers.

oh cool .. Joe Walsh playing Rocky zmountain way, damn thats a bit of an odd feeling, the rear speakers are playing like physical guitar sounds, like fingers on frets and strings and tapping the wood, the fronts are the rest of the band, the centre is vocals and my head on the wall is like resting it on the kick drum,

Best $350 ever.

Edit2: Hotel California live largely uninterrupted at around 1:26 in the netflix doco.
    I was in heaven.

Last edited by Stonemull; 15-09-2018 at 12:29 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

These little wharfedales are amazing, bought a chromecast audio today so i can play some spotify without turning the tv on for quiet late night music, just installed it before dinner intending to set it up and eat .. 3 hours and i am still hungry, been listening to everything from ac/dc to binaural whale sounds, worth checking out if you maybe want to meditate without learning to meditate. (whale sounds playlist)

I regret one thing with the older sony amp i bought, it only has a 96kHz DAC whereas the chromecast has a 192kHz DAC, I intended to buy a mini Toslink cable from somewhere and use the second optical input on the amp but I suspect the chromecast will pump better audio quality down the rca leads than what the amp can generate internally.

I am going to be listening to a lot more music than i have for the last 30 years i think.

AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

They are a nice speaker. The only downside I found personally was they weren’t the prettiest speaker to look at. Although I do remember them making a set of speakers in rosewood, beechwood, Walnut and Black all in piano finish. I think they were called the diamond series.

The Beechwood was beautiful to look at. I always regretted not buying the bookshelf speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

I don't mind the look, find them fairly unobstrusive, these have been well looked after despite being secondhand, I even got to peel the plastic off the nametags on the front as they had left them on.
    I find them perhaps a little excessive around the 2-3khz area, I have a signal generator but no decent microphones, might see if I can scan it somehow, the amp is supposed to have a microphone and run a setup but the remote is faulty on a couple of buttons and I don't have the mike.
    I am not sure what it does internally, i can only access a bass and treble control currently but perhaps it has an internal graphic eq only accessable by the dodgy button, it may also have been setup with some speakers that don't match these.
    Keeping my eyes open for a more upmarket amp, one with bluetooth and usb would be nice.
    No rush though, its quite adequate for the time being.

AUF Full Member - Middle Distance Man (1500+) Fluxburner's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Fluxburner
    XBLA
    Flux_Burner

My Pioneer LX-83 Amp has shat itself and the HDMI digital upscale convertor has died (I think) , it was pre Atmos 7.1 just wondering has anyone any experience with a 7.4.2 and is it worth the extra $$ going from a 7.2.2 to a 7.4.2 system?, as it's a considerable price jump to get there from a 7.2.2 system.

AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

Quote Originally Posted by Stonemull View Post
    I don't mind the look, find them fairly unobstrusive, these have been well looked after despite being secondhand, I even got to peel the plastic off the nametags on the front as they had left them on.
    I find them perhaps a little excessive around the 2-3khz area, I have a signal generator but no decent microphones, might see if I can scan it somehow, the amp is supposed to have a microphone and run a setup but the remote is faulty on a couple of buttons and I don't have the mike.
    I am not sure what it does internally, i can only access a bass and treble control currently but perhaps it has an internal graphic eq only accessable by the dodgy button, it may also have been setup with some speakers that don't match these.
    Keeping my eyes open for a more upmarket amp, one with bluetooth and usb would be nice.
    No rush though, its quite adequate for the time being.

I think the auto setup mic is primarily for distances and loudness equalisation.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxburner View Post
    My Pioneer LX-83 Amp has shat itself and the HDMI digital upscale convertor has died (I think) , it was pre Atmos 7.1 just wondering has anyone any experience with a 7.4.2 and is it worth the extra $$ going from a 7.2.2 to a 7.4.2 system?, as it's a considerable price jump to get there from a 7.2.2 system.
    It depends as there are two mains of thought. Firstly, will you and your room utilise the full speaker layout that an Atmos setup requires. From memory, the Atmos experience requires the roof speakers to be set up in a certain way for it to be effective. Having heard a few calibrated Atmos systems in a home environment, I can say it is fucking awesome. But, for me personally, I wouldn’t use it enough to justify an Atmos setup.

However, I have purchased an expensive amp (pre Atmos) and would recommend doing it simply for an audio quality and build quality and lifespan. My amp is well over 5 or 6 years old and sounds amazing, and other than Atmos and 4K, it does everything else. The more you spend, the better the internals and the better the sound and picture. Not always a true rule, but I have found it to be accurate in AV receivers.