AUF Full Member - A #@^&% load of posts!! (6500+) nurfman's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    nurfman
    XBLA
    nurfman11

Default Home theatre

I went to Mr Bigees house and saw his big arse home theatre setup, I now want to run a 100inch screen and projector. Seems to be more affordable than you would imagine. I want a decent projector run a Bose V235 lifestyle amp and a decent permanent mounted screen.

If you know your shit please design my home theatre system!!!!!

AUF Full Member - Base Install Mr_Biggee's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    Mr_Biggee
    XBLA
    N/A

You missed a G in your otherwise perfectly executed typing of my tag you shameless behemoth! Haha

Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    Mr_Biggee
    XBLA
    N/A

I think i owe it to you to invest my hard earned time to further discuss your latest desire over a few jars of that golden hoppy elixir so fondly referred to as BEER my learned brother!

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) mstwntd1's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

We talking sound here? If so I have vaf research speakers run by a Marantz sr5007. Amps the weak link. Can handle alot more otherwise. The amp was what I could afford at the time. Just remember there are a world of brands out there that make some killer shit. In all honesty, most people don't know what they are missing out on...

Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    Mr_Biggee
    XBLA
    N/A

I'm a Yamaha man for amplification..... Agree with you there mstwntd1 theres heaps of choice and in the end its about doing the research and finding what best suits your budget and needs ;-)

AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) Stonemull's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

audio is a dieing art.
    20 years ago, people bought amps based on true rms and thd, bought a thorens granite turntable with a lead glass platter, selected a tone arm, then a pickup and needle. even CD players 4 or 16 times oversampling.
    I still peak through the vents to see if it has discrete output transistors/mosfets or some crap hybrid module. I hate modules.
    nowadays, how many hdmis does it have, what colour the display, half the specs are bs and distortion figures are atrocious compared to the old days when amps were made properly.
    I blame dolby.

/rant

AUF Full Member - A #@^&% load of posts!! (6500+) nurfman's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    nurfman
    XBLA
    nurfman11

Alright some great points but I also wonder about getting a 65 to 70 inch tv , 4K is cheapish what do you guys think ,mainly for gaming

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) Superfish97's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Superfish97

Quote Originally Posted by nurfman View Post
    Alright some great points but I also wonder about getting a 65 to 70 inch tv , 4K is cheapish what do you guys think ,mainly for gaming
    Speaking as a tv fan (get myself a new tv every year) no need to go uhd. Stick it out for another 12 months with your fhd panel. By then you will be looking at 4th and 5th gen. Panels and hell, there may even be some content around and bigger is always better imho.

AUF Leader & Founder AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Snickersma's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Default Home theatre

I'm still happily watching my little Sony 46 inch XBR ... First decent LED full backlight set!! Won't be updating until I can get a 55 inch UHD set for about 1500 ... You probably can now actually lol... But mine ain't broke so I'm not fixing it!

Home theatre is

- Jamo 602 5.1 surround with extra 2 added so 7.1 and a Sony 3400ES amp ...
    - 4 year old i5 Win 7 PC .. Still does fine with anything with a cheap Nvidia 520 HDMI card ..

- HP micro server with about 20 Tb memory and over 750 HD movies + TV shows in media browser 3.

Ideally I'd upgrade my server to the latest HO micro server and add a SSD and so on... + a decent projector would fit perfectly in my room however the throw distance I need (about 6m) limits me to a $3-4000 machine ...

Sent from a galaxy far far away a long time ago (using tapatalk)
    Last edited by Snickersma; 04-10-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

is there any advantage to gaming on a 4k panel ?

my home theatre lol. currently my raspberry pi running xbmc is streaking from my $100 aldi NAS onto my 6yo pana at 720p.
    i'm happy with it.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Biggee View Post
    I'm a Yamaha man for amplification..... Agree with you there mstwntd1 theres heaps of choice and in the end its about doing the research and finding what best suits your budget and needs ;-)
    Exactly. I found going to hifi ships were the best place. You can audition the components and talk to people who actually know about the product!

My first system I cobbled together had a yamaha amp. Served me well for around 8 years till I upgraded to the current. Great amps, especially the aventage range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonemull View Post
    audio is a dieing art.
    20 years ago, people bought amps based on true rms and thd, bought a thorens granite turntable with a lead glass platter, selected a tone arm, then a pickup and needle. even CD players 4 or 16 times oversampling.
    I still peak through the vents to see if it has discrete output transistors/mosfets or some crap hybrid module. I hate modules.
    nowadays, how many hdmis does it have, what colour the display, half the specs are bs and distortion figures are atrocious compared to the old days when amps were made properly.
    I blame dolby.

/rant
    Dead right stoney. Most of the figures they give these days is bullshit, and the salesperson often doesn't know shit. Rms used to be a genuine figure you could use I n preference to pmpo (which is useless information). Personally, I go by sensitivity @ 1m. But that's for speakers...

Mt amp I went for versatility and budget constraints. I only had about 1200 to spend on an amp, so I had a small choice. In the end went for Marantz. Dad's had Marantz for 30+ years plus it had the capability of individual channel sound inputs, which comes in handy for the oppo bluray player I plan on buying. Far superior to hdmi.

AUF Full Member - Middle Distance Man (1500+) jackal_84's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

is there any advantage to gaming on a 4k panel ?
    Nope. There is no content available for these tv's yet. And even when they do it's to the stage that the human eye cannot see much difference in pixel density between HD and UHD, because they are so small, unless you are really close to the screen. It's all good marketing hype.

+1 for the Yamaha amps. Had mine about 7 years and still going strong. Fantastic sound production.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Interesting you say that. They hifi shop I bought my amp from said the same Haha.

I'm happy with my 55in Panasonic Vieira plasma. Pretty colours...

I have to be honest, I was in jbhifi looking at tellies for a mate and I came to the conclusion that all of the ordinary tellies under 3k were shit, with either grainy resolutions or really bad ghosting. They looked horrible.they had it on footy and I thought, if that telly is ghosting badly watching someone catch a ball, it's being to be fkn useless for motogp or nascar! I reckon Either jb hadn't set them up properly, or the telly manufacturers are trying to push the market onto 4k by making hd TV's appear shit.

Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    Mr_Biggee
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by jackal_84 View Post
    Nope. There is no content available for these tv's yet. And even when they do it's to the stage that the human eye cannot see much difference in pixel density between HD and UHD, because they are so small, unless you are really close to the screen. It's all good marketing hype.

+1 for the Yamaha amps. Had mine about 7 years and still going strong. Fantastic sound production.
    Agree here i heard the same...... Its just a tech scam so they can bleed more money from you... And seriously whats the go with these bent TV's... What a load of shite, they'll do anything to milk your wallet these days, its like they sit in a room and dream up what stupid ideas they can get away with.... Whats next tubular TV's that you park your lounge chair inside of!!!

AUF Full Member - Middle Distance Man (1500+) jackal_84's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeah those curved tv's are okay if your sitting directly in front. But off to the side and the view is shit. Besides they look shit mounted on the wall.

That's the problem when people don't do research before buying stuff. Most salesmen will tell you anything to get you to buy. I always do research then when I'm shopping if salesmen are feeding me bullshit I call them on it and walk out.

Here is a link to why UHD tv's are a waste:

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/why-ultr...-still-stupid/
    Last edited by jackal_84; 05-10-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    Mr_Biggee
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeah Jackal haha i love calling them out on tech stuff, especially when you go to 'Hardly Normal' and see some commission based sales guy selling vacuum cleaners who slides over and tries to dazzle you with their apparent tech savyness... Lol

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

i find its useful to bring the google with you to check reviews and specs and compare prices.
    godamn, dont the sales peeps just hate that.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeah last salesperson I dealt with, when he asked if he could help I told him that he wouldn't know the answers I needed anyway so he should bother someone else.

He didn't like that. But in my defense it was one of these stores where every employee asks if you need help. Guess which store that was lol

AUF Full Member - Private First Class (250+) Punkasaurian's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Punkasaurian
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd1 View Post
    I have to be honest, I was in jbhifi looking at tellies for a mate and I came to the conclusion that all of the ordinary tellies under 3k were shit, with either grainy resolutions or really bad ghosting. They looked horrible.they had it on footy and I thought, if that telly is ghosting badly watching someone catch a ball, it's being to be fkn useless for motogp or nascar! I reckon Either jb hadn't set them up properly, or the telly manufacturers are trying to push the market onto 4k by making hd TV's appear shit.
    I think JB just do a shit job displaying TVs. The Sony store next to the JB where I got my TV made a particular bravia TV look beautiful. The same model looked awful in the JB. But they did undercut sony by $200 though.

AUF Leader & Founder AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Snickersma's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

When I got my XBR Sony I thought the picture had a really nice quality to it that outshone the similar level Samsung. But I've been out of the tech loop regarding TVs for a few years now!! Is Sony still regarded the best for Pixture Quality?! Are Plasmas still competing with LED LCD for for black levels?!

AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) lex_stone_76's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lex_stone_76
    XBLA
    N/A

Lit of people reckon blacks in plasmas are still better, but not many manufacturers are making them any more

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) Scout___AUS's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    Scout___AUS
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by lex_stone_76 View Post
    Lit of people reckon blacks in plasmas are still better, but not many manufacturers are making them any more
    When I was looking about 18 mths ago HN only had one plasma and they had to order it in (A panasonic that had rave reviews). IMO Sony is still winning.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

ok, october 2013 ..

After the heartbreak of losing Pioneer's excellent Kuro line, Panasonic's plasma displays were the last bastion of hope for plasma TV enthusiasts, but now even they are going extinct. Panasonic today confirmed a Reuters report from earlier this month that it is exiting the plasma TV market with almost immediate effect production of new units will end in December and all related operations will be wrapped by March next year. Two of Panasonic's three factories have already stopped building new units and the third will join them in about a month's time. The Verge reported this past April that the company had ceased all future plasma display development.

4 days ago .. (LG)
    The South Korean multinational will shift its focus to LED and OLED displays, stating "this is the last year" for plasma, according to Trusted Reviews.
    "We have not decided on the exact timing of discontinuing the PDP (plasma display panel), but we believe that this year is the last year to produce the PDP," Hugo Shin, LG Home Entertainment product communications director, told Trusted Reviews.
    With the market evolving and embracing new technologies, Samsung this year joined Panasonic in exiting the plasma category, leaving Chinese company Changhong as one of the few remaining manufacturers still launching plasma TV displays.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Very interesting. Maybe in 2 years time the panels will be UHD OLED screens ..

I remember when I bought my sony for $3400 about 6 years ago they had 2 Kuros left at only 1 shop in Hobart and they were literally the last in the state according to the sales guys.
    So he was over pricing them ... Like $6500 for the 50 inch one they had left!! I was tempted due to their incredible reviews but just couldn't justify the almost double price tag!

They were beautiful screens though anyone still got one!?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Superfish97

Never thought I'd say this but the LG M9600 series (2012ish) still is a hands down great panel for me. I rent my TV so I generally get a new panel every year, but never found anything with blacks like this since. Last years Samsung 8000 series went close but without the media playback you get on the LG I couldnt go there. Sony just arent quite bavk in the game yet, the Koreans are simply dominating.

AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) lex_stone_76's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lex_stone_76
    XBLA
    N/A

ok, october 2013 ..

After the heartbreak of losing Pioneer's excellent Kuro line, Panasonic's plasma displays were the last bastion of hope for plasma TV enthusiasts, but now even they are going extinct. Panasonic today confirmed a Reuters report from earlier this month that it is exiting the plasma TV market with almost immediate effect production of new units will end in December and all related operations will be wrapped by March next year. Two of Panasonic's three factories have already stopped building new units and the third will join them in about a month's time. The Verge reported this past April that the company had ceased all future plasma display development.

4 days ago .. (LG)
    The South Korean multinational will shift its focus to LED and OLED displays, stating "this is the last year" for plasma, according to Trusted Reviews.
    "We have not decided on the exact timing of discontinuing the PDP (plasma display panel), but we believe that this year is the last year to produce the PDP," Hugo Shin, LG Home Entertainment product communications director, told Trusted Reviews.
    With the market evolving and embracing new technologies, Samsung this year joined Panasonic in exiting the plasma category, leaving Chinese company Changhong as one of the few remaining manufacturers still launching plasma TV displays.
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/28/l...ma-production/

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

lol @ That's why LG has finally joined Samsung and Panasonic in taking the outdated business out back, shotgun in hand. According to Reuters, the company has quietly told local regulators that the plasma TV lines will cease production towards the end of November,

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Default Home theatre

Yeah it always seemed that plasma would eventually cede to LCD ... Especially once the LED backlighting tech started to produce better black levels.

I still wouldn't knock back a top Pioneer Kuro over anything on the market today though!!

Any serious signs of the next big tech ... Laser, OLED, UHD everything!?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

you can buy OLED now. issue used to be that they lose intensity over time, not sure if thats fully solved yet.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Superfish97

We're selling the LG 55" UHD OLED at work now. Looks pretty good, however the new Sony UHD series is looking like the goods which is a long time between drinks for a once Premium brand.