Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones to you small folk) - BE CAREFUL OF SPOILERS

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) Sw3Et's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Sw3Et_07
    XBLA
    N/A

Default A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones to you small folk) - BE CAREFUL OF SPOILERS

This thread has been a long time coming. It is where you can discuss George R R Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series and the HBO adaptation without needing to withhold spoilers for the guys who have made the grievous life decision to not read this masterpiece of a series. If you haven't read the books I suggest you go and read them right now and then return.

The Winds of Winter is coming... Tell us what your predictions are, what you hope will happen and what you dread will happen. I will add my 2 cents later as I am "working" right now.

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

I actually just started reading the first book last night, reading on the iPad so can only read a couple pages at a time.

Sent from my iPad using AUF Forums mobile app.
    CLICK ON MY MANBOOBS TO JOIN AUF

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Sw3Et_07
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Locoevo View Post
    I actually just started reading the first book last night, reading on the iPad so can only read a couple pages at a time.

That's awesome mate! If you have any questions or simply wish to share your thoughts here's the place to do it, but for obvious reasons don't go reading everybodies posts until you finish

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Spoilers don't really bother me, I read them all anyways. I've had the books sitting on the iPad for a year now just never got around to reading them.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Sw3Et_07
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Locoevo View Post
    Spoilers don't really bother me, I read them all anyways. I've had the books sitting on the iPad for a year now just never got around to reading them.

There are some BIG moments throughout the series which you really should avoid finding out before reading, such as the Ned Stark beheading. (but you already know about that).

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Yea I was pretty devastated when I saw that, life goes on though....... Well for real live people it does.

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) L1eutenant's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    L1eutenant-
    XBLA
    N/A

I saw these on the Google Play store yesterday and I am currently looking for a good series of books to read...

What order do they go in tho?

The books on Google Play

As there is some for $9.90 then some for $12.99 etc. then there is one for $89.99???

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) drgeebz's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    drgeebz
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by L1eutenant View Post
    What order do they go in tho?
    Same order as the picture in the first post.

As for predictions, I haven't read the rumours around the net but I guess I see it as a battle for the throne (obviously!). Someone to unit the kingdom and take on the white walkers. It seems like Daenarys (dragons vs white walkers) is going to get there but the main question mark is Who is going to be sitting beside her ?

The potentials are probably

Any other obvious ones with a claim that i've missed ?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Sw3Et_07
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by drgeebz View Post
    Same order as the picture in the first post.

As for predictions, I haven't read the rumours around the net but I guess I see it as a battle for the throne (obviously!). Someone to unit the kingdom and take on the white walkers. It seems like Daenarys (dragons vs white walkers) is going to get there but the main question mark is Who is going to be sitting beside her ?

The potentials are probably

Any other obvious ones with a claim that i've missed ?
    Well Littlefinger is planning to have Sansa claim the throne and Davos (really looking forward to his WoW chapters) is looking for Ricken Stark (I think Ricken has a big role to play)

Quote Originally Posted by L1eutenant View Post
    I saw these on the Google Play store yesterday and I am currently looking for a good series of books to read...
    Look no further mate. Buy the first book for whatever it cost and then it will be an easy decision to get the rest. The order, as Geebz pointed out, are in the OP. Game of Thrones > Clash of Kings > Storm of Swords > Feast for Crows > Dance with Dragons. There are 2 more books planned that haven't been released yet.

I've never had a book fuck with me so much before. The way it makes your heart pound as it just drops a massive bombshell on you without warning and how it can also make you feel as though your heart stops.
    Last edited by Sw3Et; 07-01-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    drgeebz
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Sw3Et View Post
    Well Littlefinger is planning to have Sansa claim the throne and Davos (really looking forward to his WoW chapters) is looking for Ricken Stark (I think Ricken has a big role to play)
    True that. It seems like Daenarys is going to come home with avengence though, so I think whoever it is is going to have to have more than just a claim ie be a targaryen, have a legit entitlement/ be able to tame one of her dragons or something.

But who knows Daenarys might be sacrficed in the process of getting the shit sorted. I guess Daenerys has to get over this whole "woe is me im so rrrrroooooonerrrrryyyy, rooorrrrnnneerrrryyy" thing before she becomes the powerhouse. She seems like this continual wave recruiting key character along the way.

For me im most interested in those more kinda fundamental but fringe charaters like Bran, Arya, Brienne and Jamie and what part they have to play (obviously pretty important). Also what the dark horse Sam gets up to and who cold hands is.
    Last edited by drgeebz; 12-04-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Sw3Et_07
    XBLA
    N/A

True that. It seems like Daenarys is going to come home with avengence though, so I think whoever it is is going to have to have more than just a claim ie be a targaryen, have a legit entitlement/ be able to tame one of her dragons or something.

But who knows Daenarys might be sacrficed in the process of getting the shit sorted. I guess Daenerys has to get over this whole "woe is me im so rrrrroooooonerrrrryyyy, rooorrrrnnneerrrryyy" thing before she becomes the powerhouse. She seems like this continual wave recruiting key character along the way.

For me im most interested in those more kinda fundamental but fringe charaters like Bran, Arya, Brienne and Jamie and what part they have to play (obviously pretty important). Also what the dark horse Sam gets up to and who cold hands is.
    Cold hands has got to be Benjen Stark. Daeny will probably just stay in Slavers Bay. She's got too much shit to sort out there, though what is GRRM planning on doing with her and Tyrion? THERE'S SO MUCH GOING ON, HOW WILL THIS FINISH IN JUST 2 MORE BOOKS???

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    drgeebz
    XBLA
    N/A

Cold hands has got to be Benjen Stark.
    Agreed.

though what is GRRM planning on doing with her and Tyrion?
    Maybe they'll have cute no nose blonde dwarf babies

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

There's so much cool shit to speculate on.

One of the best ones I've heard relates to Cersei, do you guys remember her hearing the prophecy that 'the little brother' (valonqar) would be her undoing?

Cersei:"Will the king and I have children?"
    Maggy:"Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you."
    Maggy:"Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," she said. "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."
    Well this theory takes a tiny bit of liberty with that concept, but it seems so cool to me that I hope it comes to pass...

I really hope that theory turns out to be correct, it's way too awesome

EDIT: Here's a pretty cool timeline for the series as well:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ha1ZfNUE#gid=8
    Last edited by AStiffBreeze; 12-04-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Sw3Et_07
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by AStiffBreeze View Post
    There's so much cool shit to speculate on.

One of the best ones I've heard relates to Cersei, do you guys remember her hearing the prophecy that 'the little brother' (valonqar) would be her undoing?

Well this theory takes a tiny bit of liberty with that concept, but it seems so cool to me that I hope it comes to pass...

I really hope that theory turns out to be correct, it's way too awesome

EDIT: Here's a pretty cool timeline for the series as well:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ha1ZfNUE#gid=8
    That's awesome stiff. I'm sure that Strong is Gregor but havent heard the theory on Sandor fighting him for the high sparrow.

AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) lima-alpha-88's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lima-alpha-88
    XBLA
    strong

Unfortunately after I finished book five I delved into the theories threads on the ASOIAF community forums and man oh man did I miss some shit haha. J= R+L for example went completely over my head. Some of the theories out there I had a bit of a grasp on.

I kinda regret it now though because I think I ruined it for myself. Obviously it could be all way off the mark but some of the theories just match up too damn well.

Also, I'm sure most of you have probably read them but if not there are the dunk and egg short stories that are set in the same world but about 90 years prior to a game of thrones. I loved them. Next one should be on its way soon too. As a side note HBO have hinted at the short stories possibly seeing some TV time which would be cool.

EDIT: i was thinking about this while watching the latest episode, its something i dont think i've read anything online about (although i'm sure someone has already thought it up) but anyway i remember reading a while back that martin said that Samwell was a nod to tolkiens samwise. i was just thinking that maybe the similarities will run deeper than just the name. Tolkien said that he thought samwise was the real hero in LOTR not Frodo. I'm wondering if mayeb samwell will play a larger role in the end game, I dont think he is so much the "hero" of ASOIF but he has had interactions with a lot of key characters, and has the potential to play a vital role.
    Last edited by lima-alpha-88; 14-04-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Sw3Et_07
    XBLA
    N/A

Just watched episode 3 and was quite pleased. One thing I still can't understand is what's going on with Theon. Who dafuck is helping him? After he set him free I thought it must be Ramsay Snow playing his hunting games, even though in the book he only does that with women. But then that guy came and saved him again and said "winter is coming" which is the Stark words. I think it might be "the ghost of Winterfell" who is thought to be a "Theon Durden" type imagination brought about from some kind of schizophrenia that Theon has developed in his time as Ramsay's captive. Bit of a crackpot theory, but I'm sticking with it for now.

Also enjoyed the punky rendition of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" that plays during the end credits.

Really hope they keep the les scene between Daenerys and her slave bitch.
    Last edited by Sw3Et; 03-05-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lima-alpha-88
    XBLA
    strong

There is no doubt that beautiful les scene will be coming. Its HBO after all I doubt they'd miss the opportunity for girl on girl.

I wrote a rant about how theons story is really different and how disappointed I was. Then I thought about it some more. And realised something pretty important. Mainly in what the last guy that got shot with the arrow in the woods said. And everything is right again and I'm even happier about theons story arc for the TV show than I was before

At least they're not fucking with Danny's story too much yet.
    Last edited by lima-alpha-88; 16-04-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    drgeebz
    XBLA
    N/A

Watched the latest episode last night. I just thought it was really weird.

The jamie hand bit seemed so fake and weird.
    Punk song at the end ?
    The theon thing.

I dunno it was all a bit strange and I kinda feel like if I hadnt had some notion of what was going on (ie read the books) the story lines would be pretty hard to follow. They seem to make big jumps in the story line but then spend time on stuff that seems unimportant. Robs wife patching up the laniisters for example.

AUF Leader & Founder AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Snickersma's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Mmm looking forward to s03e3. I must say the 1080p mkv's I've been getting are really nice. Grab the 1080p dd5.1 web-dl rips from KAT or similar ... A show like GOT deserves it. I think they are from iTunes. The sets/costumes are just immaculate in this series really well done and such a good atmosphere.

My 14 yo daughter watched 10 minutes or so of s03e2 a couple of nights ago for the first time and was instantly transfixed by the snow scenes.. And almost jumped of the couch with one bit with a wolf. Not bad for her as she is already a seasoned horror film buff lol .. It's very atmospheric.

Sent from my iPhone a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away ... using the awesome
    AUF Forums iOS app

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lima-alpha-88
    XBLA
    strong

Watched the latest episode last night. I just thought it was really weird.

The jamie hand bit seemed so fake and weird.
    Punk song at the end ?
    The theon thing.

I dunno it was all a bit strange and I kinda feel like if I hadnt had some notion of what was going on (ie read the books) the story lines would be pretty hard to follow. They seem to make big jumps in the story line but then spend time on stuff that seems unimportant. Robs wife patching up the laniisters for example.
    I think knowing the story line for the books has made it more difficult to follow because I'm always trying to place the scenes from the show in the books. Re the robs wife bit. Hasn't the books taught us that seemingly insignificant scenes end up being important?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    drgeebz
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by lima-alpha-88 View Post
    Hasn't the books taught us that seemingly insignificant scenes end up being important?
    Sure, but its not even in the book. Another example is the amount of time the spent on pod and the prozzies. Other than a bit of T&A there was no point to it.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lima-alpha-88
    XBLA
    strong

Sure, but its not even in the book. Another example is the amount of time the spent on pod and the prozzies. Other than a bit of T&A there was no point to it.
    Yeh it wasn't in the book but neither was she! Haha. Also they did take the hostages and I think it was just a way of showing that.

Also I just read the comment earlier that cold hands HAS to be Benjen stark. I'm not too sure about that.

I think Benjen still has a part to play. On the side of the wights or the good guys I dunno but surely he is gonna re appear.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    drgeebz
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeh it wasn't in the book but neither was she! Haha.
    She was (Jeyne Westerling), she wasnt mentioned much though. She was the reason the red wedding happened,
    Last edited by drgeebz; 17-04-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lima-alpha-88
    XBLA
    strong

She was (Jeyne Westerling), she wasnt mentioned much though. She was the reason the red wedding happened,
    Haha yeh I know man. But they have changed the character for the show. Still robbs wife diff name and background (I thought anyway!)

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lima-alpha-88
    XBLA
    strong

I also had a theory which I thought was original but turns out its already on the net. But it was about the names given to the dire wolves and their connections to the stark children. I'm not gonna list them all but you can see connections if you give it some thought. Which makes me excited about rickons return from skaag (I think that's the islands name?) Where there were cannibals and he's been raised by osha. Think SHAGGYDOG.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

I also had a theory which I thought was original but turns out its already on the net. But it was about the names given to the dire wolves and their connections to the stark children. I'm not gonna list them all but you can see connections if you give it some thought. Which makes me excited about rickons return from skaag (I think that's the islands name?) Where there were cannibals and he's been raised by osha. Think SHAGGYDOG.
    It would be funny if Rickon were to replace Ramsay as the most evil person in the series.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lima-alpha-88
    XBLA
    strong

It would be funny if Rickon were to replace Ramsay as the most evil person in the series.
    I don't think he will be evil. Just bad ass. Because he will still be pretty young when he returns maybe it will be through warging?

Unrelated: arya and Danny are my favourite story arcs in the books. Particularly arya, I fucking love where its been and where its going. On top of that we still have her wolf trawling around westeros with its massive pack. I think that's going to be an end game story. The wolf a name is nymeria, the same as the queen/princess ( can't remember without looking it up) that crossed the seas with HEAPS of ships.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Unrelated: arya and Danny are my favourite story arcs in the books.
    It's funny that you say that, because ever since the first book I've been unable to stand the Daenerys chapters. That's probably the only POV character that I don't like (I even like the much maligned Area Hotah chapters ).

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Sw3Et_07
    XBLA
    N/A

A relative was giving her moon tea (an abortifacient) so she's probably not carrying Robb's heir.
    I think that was just said so the Lannisters wouldn't take her child. She was also apparently swapped with her sister for when Jaime came and spoke to them. Catelyn made a comment about how she had good child bearing hips when she first met her and when Jaime meets her later on he comments that she was ugly and narrow hipped, "not worth losing a kingdom over".

It's funny that you say that, because ever since the first book I've been unable to stand the Daenerys chapters. That's probably the only POV character that I don't like (I even like the much maligned Area Hotah chapters ).
    I thought her chapters in both Game of Thrones and Storm of Swords were really good, but other than that I would have to agree with you.