Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star Citizen - new space sim from Chris Roberts (on PC)

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) mstwntd1's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeah I probably won't worry bout downloading it either. Smashed my Internet the other day. But will definitely look into it shortly. This game looks too good to pass up! Haven't been on website for ages, any ideas on when the final release will be?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) guitar_god7007's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    guitar_god7007
    XBLA
    Xbox...thats cute

Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd1 View Post
    Yeah I probably won't worry bout downloading it either. Smashed my Internet the other day. But will definitely look into it shortly. This game looks too good to pass up! Haven't been on website for ages, any ideas on when the final release will be?

Years away I think. Going off what the site says, it's meant to be in beta already. It's only alpha 2.2 so far

Sent using Tapatalk because my laptop is more than an arms length away and I'm a lazy sod
    Do you want to join AUF? Don't click here, it won't take you anywhere. Click here instead

Quote Originally Posted by ImDaRAD View Post
    GG. Been around for a while and knows his stuff but keep an eye on this guy, really nice but when you least expect it he will jab you in the eye for absolutely no reason and it really hurts

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) mstwntd1's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by guitar_god7007 View Post
    Years away I think. Going off what the site says, it's meant to be in beta already. It's only alpha 2.2 so far

Sent using Tapatalk because my laptop is more than an arms length away and I'm a lazy sod
    Oh wow lol I'll need a new pc by then lol

AUF Full Member - Private First Class (250+) Punkasaurian's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Punkasaurian
    XBLA
    N/A

Won't be able to try it till after then.
    I've just bought my core and video card for my computer. Expect it'll be up and running in maybe 2-3 weeks. Then it'll take another week or two to get SC, I'll be there to game with you then.
    Good luck building. I think I will follow in your footsteps in a year or two.

Won't be able to try it till after then.
    It seems like the Connie Aquillas (name may be horribly wrong but you know what it is) Is the same price as the Andromeda now. Id rather the Aquillas because of the cool front windows and the buggy, but may still get the Andromeda. Mainly because of the amount of bonus items you get with the Andromeda.

If I got the andromeda, then traded it for an Aquillas, would I still get all the bonus items ?
    The answer is yes, but there are a few footnotes.

There is a chance you may be confusing buying ships with game packages.
    A game package with the Andromeda can be yours for a support pledge of $275, whereas a stand alone Andromeda is $225.
    A game package is basically a copy of the game which comes with a ship, and if you buy a more expensive game package, you can get a bigger ship and a sprinkling of other extras, like a star map and that sort of thing. 95% of game packages being sold are about $45 US, which is all anyone needs to pay to access every piece of content and acquire every ship in-game. You know this, but just in case anyone else is reading.

Looking closer at the details of upgrading a ship, there are two ways to do it. You can either exchange a ship or game package for store credit and buy a different one, or you can upgrade a ship to one more expensive . If you trade in a game package for store credit and just buy a ship, you will not be able to play because you won't actually own a copy of the game, just a ship. So it is possible to have a game package with any ship, but there is a little bit of complexity to it.

If you upgrade a ship attached to a game package then you keep all of the items in the game package, and only the ship changes. If the ship you are upgrading to normally comes with a different hanger or more or less insurance for example, you still keep the hanger and insurance level you got with your game package. So you could upgrade a $225 andromeda from a $275 game package to a $275 to an Aquila by paying the $50 difference and keep all the items in your original game package.

Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd1 View Post
    Oh wow lol I'll need a new pc by then lol
    True, but CIG are shooting to get Sq42 out this year. I'm looking forward.
    As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the law runneth forward and back. For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) guitar_god7007's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    guitar_god7007
    XBLA
    Xbox...thats cute

There is a huge chance I may be confusing myself. I was under the impression you could 'sell ships' and pay the difference or nothing at all depending on the ship. But yeah, the Aquillas isn't a game package ship. I probably won't risk it and just stay with the andromeda.

Do you want to join AUF? Don't click here, it won't take you anywhere. Click here instead

Quote Originally Posted by ImDaRAD View Post
    GG. Been around for a while and knows his stuff but keep an eye on this guy, really nice but when you least expect it he will jab you in the eye for absolutely no reason and it really hurts

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Punkasaurian
    XBLA
    N/A

I was under the impression you could 'sell ships' and pay the difference or nothing at all depending on the ship. .
    That's definitely true, but the ship that comes in a game package is going to cost less to buy seperately than with a copy of the game.

You can "sell" your game package to CIG in exchange for store credit which you can use to buy a different package or stand alone ship, but you can't sell the ship that comes with a game package seperately to the package itself. I think that is so you cant own a copy of the game without owning a ship.

Ships in game packages can be swapped out to other equal or more expensive ships if you pay the difference. You can't downgrade though, unless you cash in the entire game package for a more modest one.
    As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the law runneth forward and back. For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Punkasaurian
    XBLA
    N/A

New SC tidbits drip down all the time, but the gamescom demo from Friday is pretty notable. The Demo shows where they anticipate having some elements of the alpha by the end of this year. You can see where they are at with their procedural tech if you jump to the 5:50 mark. The whole video is pretty awesome though and worth a look if you want to see some of the things they are up to.

Procedural tech is quite topical at the moment what with No man's sky arriving. I think the demo does a good job showing the difference in approach that SC is using. That being each planet is made to order with procedural tools, rather than being completely at the whim of a master equation. Then there are a few bespoke locations plugged in to each planet here and there for good measure. "Artist Driven" Seems to be the buzz word they have come up with for it. It's still early days. I can't wait to see where things eventually get to. And as long as a few people buy squadron 42, they probably won't even run out of money.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Punkasaurian
    XBLA
    N/A

A rather jaw dropping planetary tech demo was revealed at Citizencon on Sunday. It reminds me of Dune for some reason.

High quality version here, but without the commentary from Chris Roberts:

There is a frame counter in the corner of the screen if you are interested.

It is built with procedural tools but the planet is constructed purposefully by artists and designers rather than left to random chance like it is in games with an unvisitable number of planets like No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous. (Star citizen aims to eventually have >100 solar systems connected by wormholes with a varying number of planets in each system)

Find the full presentation here:

You can see a demonstration of the planet building tools the devs use from about the 157:10 mark.
    Last edited by Punkasaurian; 12-10-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added high quality version of video

AUF Full Member - Private First Class (250+) xX_stpdM0nky_Xx's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    xX_stpdM0nky_Xx
    XBLA
    N/A

Anyone playing this, is it still in beta, recommend?
    Saw a demo and was impressed with graphics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUF Full (TRIAL) Member - Like Humpty, this guy always has a crack (50+) Elharna's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    Elharna
    XBLA
    N/A

I'm a founding member, but not playing yet as it's still in development. I got involved in the crowd funding before I had a family. Now I fear I won't have time to play! It's been in development for so long now. Hope the end product is worth the wait. The 1st person screen play with no gravity looked really good. Haven't seen how things are looking recently however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Punkasaurian
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by xX_stpdM0nky_Xx View Post
    Anyone playing this, is it still in beta, recommend?
    Saw a demo and was impressed with graphics.

Its still in alpha.
    Still looking to be years away from full release, but Alpha 3.0 should be out this year and it might have enough game-play to be worth your time. I wouldn't jump in right now though.

AUF Full Member - Private First Class (250+) xX_stpdM0nky_Xx's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    xX_stpdM0nky_Xx
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Punkasaurian View Post
    Its still in alpha.
    Still looking to be years away from full release, but Alpha 3.0 should be out this year and it might have enough game-play to be worth your time. I wouldn't jump in right now though.
    Wow at alpha 3.0, disappointed Squadron 42 not going to be released this year (or next probably).

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Punkasaurian
    XBLA
    N/A

I'm not writing sq42 for next year yet. we'll see.

Cool procedural city tech demo from earlier this weekend:

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Punkasaurian
    XBLA
    N/A

I made an organisation for AUF on the SC website a while ago. Mainly to sit on the AUF tags. But since then I have joined a more active org in star citizen and I can't keep hold of the AUF org I made. If anyone has a game package and wants to take over let me know, otherwise I will need to press the nuke button on it in a couple of days.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/AUF

PS. Squadron 42 vertical slice:

Last edited by Punkasaurian; 24-12-2017 at 01:24 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Default Star Citizen - new space sim from Chris Roberts (on PC)

They’ve announced that the single player component (Squadron 42) will enter Beta in the second quarter of 2020:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/r.../2-Squadron-42

It’s interesting to see when the first post in this thread was made. Quite a long time in development...

Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Punkasaurian
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by AStiffBreeze View Post
    They’ve announced that the single player component (Squadron 42) will enter Beta in the second quarter of 2020:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/r.../2-Squadron-42

It’s interesting to see when the first post in this thread was made. Quite a long time in development...

As you predicted, they have been free to take their time.

Interestingly, they have moved beyond pure crowd funding for finance. A 10% stake in the company was sold for $46 mil late last year (approximately 200 million of crowd funding had been collected at the time). The purpose of the revenue raising has been to get a serious budget for marketing the release of SQ42 rather than spend it on game development. I still think they will look very seriously at porting the single player game over to consoles at some point. I'm not sure when next Gen consoles are expected to hit. It must not be too far past 2020 though.

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) repercuss's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    repercuss
    XBLA
    N/A

There's no way they will sell enough to recover development costs. Looks like they used the crowd as free money which is kinda bullshit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Consequences and Repercussions

H.H > R.C > You