Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Official ISP Discussion Thread

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Quote Originally Posted by Locoevo View Post
    Wouldn't they have different cables? Surely Telstra would have put down their own lines.
    That's what I thought, however they were't able to confirm. The dude said sometimes Optus uses their (Telstra) cables... which made me question it.

Edit, lol, I started researching this at 6:30pm, ran Speedtest and got a reasonable 20Mbps, then later 12Mbps, then 7, and now 3, and probably 1-2 when PS4 gets turned on loving it
    Last edited by Chiips; 19-02-2016 at 08:05 PM.

Sigs credit to SmilingLocoOtis

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Chiips View Post
    That's what I thought, however they were't able to confirm. The dude said sometimes Optus uses their (Telstra) cables... which made me question it.

Edit, lol, I started researching this at 6:30pm, ran Speedtest and got a reasonable 20Mbps, then later 12Mbps, then 7, and now 3, and probably 1-2 when PS4 gets turned on loving it
    On the East coast Optus and Telstra have completely separate HFC networks. I'm not sure if the NBN > HFC downgrade actually changes how their infrastructure will be utilised in future though. But as it currently stands they have separate infrastructure.

Interested in joining AUF? Full instructions can be found HERE.
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Took the plunge with Telstra Cable. Surely can't be worse than what I've got now.
    Still haven't been able to receive a definitive answer whether Telstra might be sharing infrastructure with Optus in selected areas..... hope bloody not.

Sigs credit to SmilingLocoOtis

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) Stonemull's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Considering a swap over to Internode and apparentely my number can be ported to voip too so I could go naked, anybody use voip ? How is it ? My current modem doesnt do it, any hardware suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) repercuss's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    repercuss
    XBLA
    N/A

I go completely naked with only a mobile number.

Feels gooooood

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

Consequences and Repercussions

H.H > R.C > You

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

I'm a dick, realised I can't go nekkid .. sorta need a phone line for adsl 2 currently, hopefully nbn here early next year.
    I put in a churn anyway but I doubt it will go through.
    looked at my stats and I averaged 139G/30 days for the last 395 days, thought I would save myself $20 a month and go for a 100G a month instead of 200.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Overall Status Your service is in the process of being connected.
    Detailed Status: Churn-Ordered: We have requested a transfer of your existing service to Internode from your previous provider. We’re awaiting confirmation from our carrier.

its happening..

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Default The Official ISP Discussion Thread

Internode client as of 10 minutes ago, thought I would christen it with an AuF post.

I didn't expect a miracle, bring on NBN dammit.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1639340484

Last edited by Stonemull; 07-05-2016 at 05:34 AM.

AUF Full Member - Pave My Way With BLOOD (2500+) Smokin_Icarus's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smokin_Icarus

The real test is at peak time at night when everyone is using Netflix etc. see if you get throttled

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) mstwntd1's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Just curious... Anyone in sa having an absolutely useless time trying to use the Internet? I can connect but tops out at 6kbps. Been like this since that intense storm ripped through adelaide. Trying to work out if this is localised or widespread?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) Centaurus-201's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Centaurus-201
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd1 View Post
    Just curious... Anyone in sa having an absolutely useless time trying to use the Internet? I can connect but tops out at 6kbps. Been like this since that intense storm ripped through adelaide. Trying to work out if this is localised or widespread?

Mines been fine
    Gawler-adelaide

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) mstwntd1's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Righto thanks mate we had a few trees go down maybe it's damaged something

AUF Full Member - Dual Post-Millenium Man (2000+) Taperooster's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Taperooster
    XBLA
    N/A

Im down Pt Adelaide way an have had no problems.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Internode just grand fathered my 100G a month plan to 200G a month for nix, nice.
    I had ths months traffic in check for the first time too, 57G left with 50% of the month remaining. Basically by using the unmetered a lot more, stats this month 42.8G metered for 94.4G unmetered.
    Now, what to do with 157G for 15.2 days..

AUF Full Member - Almost To The Point Of No Return (9000+) Kacoul-'s Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Kakkers-
    XBLA
    Steam: Kakkers

Yeah I went from 200 to 400. It's because their plans have transferred to iinets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Another reason to love AUF, you guys have skills, even those of us that think we are unskilled have uber-skills compared to the ham-fisted gaming atrocities I witnessed tonight." - Smilingmonkey

"You see nurf, the problem with stupid people is, they are too stupid to realise how stupid they are, and thus these stupid people need constant reminders to not do stupid things that the rest of us just know not to do." - mmmgilly

So joining AUF, that's a thing and can be done HERE...do it...right MEOW!

AUF Full Member - Halfway Glory-Hound (5000+) Smajs's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

See that ISP's have been ordered to block torrent sites.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-1...tralia/8116912

Mostly the mainstream ones are listed in the document. http://www.judgments.fedcourt.gov.au...16/2016fca1503

Wonder how far they will go in the future and how it affects other sites that may be mislabeled or even simple things like browsing speed.

AUF Full Member - Dual Post-Millenium Man (2000+) jackal_84's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Smajs View Post
    See that ISP's have been ordered to block torrent sites.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-1...tralia/8116912

Mostly the mainstream ones are listed in the document. http://www.judgments.fedcourt.gov.au...16/2016fca1503

Wonder how far they will go in the future and how it affects other sites that may be mislabeled or even simple things like browsing speed.
    Just get a vpn. I recommend ipvanish. It will get around any website blocking. Massive waste of parliaments time. I don't know why bother

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Quote Originally Posted by jackal_84 View Post
    Just get a vpn. I recommend ipvanish. It will get around any website blocking. Massive waste of parliaments time. I don't know why bother
    they have thought of that though..

ome enterprising internet users have found ways to get around site-blocking laws by using a VPN, which hides the user's country of origin.

But Mr Burke was confident this approach would not be popular in Australia.

"The experience overseas is not many people use VPNs because they cost money as well," he said.

"[A torrent website user would] still face the issue of dealing with viruses, scams and a pretty terrible, terrible neighbourhood so I think that should factor, but I think also when we explain to people that it's not a victimless crime, that other people lose their jobs, I think that will have an impact.
    checkmate !

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

It doesn't really bother me much as I stream quite a bit nowadays. And if it is worth watching I buy the disc anyway. The issue is though that this kind of ruling usually ends up being just the beginning. Censorship is a dangerous thing for corporations and governments to start thinking is something they can tinker with.

AUF Full Member - Dual Post-Millenium Man (2000+) jackal_84's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

As per usual they are clinging to an outdated model and trying to legislate people to stick to it. I was quite happy with Netflix when I could use my van to access the catalogues in the US and UK. However since they brought in blocking of vpn's it is not worth the money because the Australian catalogue is not that great.

I've since gotten rid of it and now use exodus via a kodi box to stream pretty much any thing I can think of for nothing.

Most people are happy to pay when they have decent content for a reasonable price. But as per usual we get fucked in Australia. Charging the same as US Netflix and giving us 10% of the content.

I think they are delusional if they think this will make that much of a difference. It's proven not to have worked in other countries where this has been implemented.

Censureship is always a slippery slope.

AUF Full Member - Halfway Glory-Hound (5000+) mmmgilly's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

So, we get a letter from optus telling us NBN should be here by the end of march, and they think we should pre-order it. But, their website doesn't give you an indication of what bundles they offer unless you input an address that is NBN ready. Fuck you optus.
    "Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000ft and climbing"

"What have I done, that poor dog" GuitarGod-2016

"thanks to gilly for giving me "head" ....... shots.. 5 to be exact.. thanks bud.. took a load off .." Keppida aka Des 2017

AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) lex_stone_76's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lex_stone_76
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mmmgilly View Post
    So, we get a letter from optus telling us NBN should be here by the end of march, and they think we should pre-order it. But, their website doesn't give you an indication of what bundles they offer unless you input an address that is NBN ready. Fuck you optus.
    Do you know what type of nbn you're getting? Ours is supposed to be ready in June, previously was supposed to be HFC but can't find that information any more.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by lex_stone_76 View Post
    Do you know what type of nbn you're getting? Ours is supposed to be ready in June, previously was supposed to be HFC but can't find that information any more.
    Letter doesn't say, but I'm pretty sure it would be HFC (we've allready got cable). NBNco website is useless as fuck on that front, just says "fixed line connection".
    Last edited by mmmgilly; 18-02-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    "Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000ft and climbing"

"thanks to gilly for giving me "head" ....... shots.. 5 to be exact.. thanks bud.. took a load off .." Keppida aka Des 2017

AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) lex_stone_76's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lex_stone_76
    XBLA
    N/A

Letter doesn't say, but I'm pretty sure it would be HFC (we've allready got cable). NBNco website is useless as fuck on that front, just says "fixed line connection".
    Yeah they have I thought the reason was that they'd written off the Optus cable and had to change their plans to use that. There's heaps of that around here where there's overhead electricity

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

I'm with Telstra, and as part of the upgrade to HFC NBN my current plan just gets ported straight across, supposedly only with higher upload speeds. I'm hoping my download speeds (110Mbps) don't drop, but wouldn't be surprised if the NBN means they get throttled back to 100.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by AStiffBreeze View Post
    I'm with Telstra, and as part of the upgrade to HFC NBN my current plan just gets ported straight across, supposedly only with higher upload speeds. I'm hoping my download speeds (110Mbps) don't drop, but wouldn't be surprised if the NBN means they get throttled back to 100.

That sounds ideal, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Done a bit of comparisons today between TPG, iinet, dodo, telstra and optus and they all try to be as vague as fucking possible. Only ONE (dodo) mentions upload speeds, and Optus are just shit with finding out what you can get and when you do see a bundle it's not explicit on wether or not it's cable/adsl/NBN or how to compare with speed packs. Not to mention they all have allways got some deal going so it's hard to really find a base offering. Untill I can get optus to confirm what they can offer, it looks like TPG and iinet are the clear cut winners in terms of giving us close to what we're allready getting for a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by lex_stone_76 View Post
    Yeah they have I thought the reason was that they'd written off the Optus cable and had to change their plans to use that. There's heaps of that around here where there's overhead electricity

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    Yep, heaps of the stuff around. Doesn't help that many of the houses around here weren't really built with future technology in mind. I feel sorry for the poor NBN techs who are going to have to service our area.
    Last edited by mmmgilly; 18-02-2017 at 03:52 PM.

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) repercuss's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    repercuss
    XBLA
    N/A

Internode does unlimited nbn at 100/40 for 110 or 120 bucks.
    I'm on a discontinued plan but may take that on.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Consequences and Repercussions

H.H > R.C > You

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Default The Official ISP Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by repercuss View Post

I was on the discontinued 300gb/$95 100/40 a month plan and could stream Netflix free but the new plans have changed and 100/40 is unlimited and $99 so I swapped to that now so unlimited streaming and downloads. It was about $115 before though from memory.

PS4 game downloads and watching Twitch/Amazon chew through 300gb which is why I ended up switching over.

Interested in joining AUF? Just CLICK HERE to learn more about our clan, including how to go about joining
    CLICK ON MY MANBOOBS TO JOIN AUF

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

I'm currently on a non-NBN plan of 100/2.6 with a 500GB cap and all local calls (including mobiles) thrown in for $90 a month.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

When looking at stuff yesterday I must have overlooked internode. for naked NBN internet internode's unlimited 100/40 offering is 99.99/month, bundling a call pack with it to compare with TPG's and iiNet's similar services (unlimited local/national/mobile) puts it up to the $120 mark along with iiNet, TPG still looks best value at $110.

Interestingly enough, internode is the first I've seen to offer four of the speed packs (12/1, 25/5, 50/20, 100/40) most of the others only offer three, either skipping the base 12/1 or the 50/20