Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Official ISP Discussion Thread

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+)
    Clan
    PSN
    Tallpaul77
    XBLA
    -

Ookla is speedtest.net

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) mstwntd1's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by AStiffBreeze View Post
    Sorry sync speeds are just the download and upload speeds (same thing). Speedtest.net.

Interested in joining AUF? Full instructions can be found HERE.
    Awesome thanks I'll check it tomorrow

AUF Full Member - Private First Class (250+) engn042's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF~
    PSN
    engn042
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Tallpaul77 View Post
    Ookla is speedtest.net
    Cool. I'm a genius and I didn't know it.

Is 9 download a good speed?

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Quote Originally Posted by engn042 View Post
    For me, I use an iphone app called Ookla. When working well (after reboot), its 9 Megabits down and 0.9 up.
    9down and 0.9up should be plenty for gaming, as long as there aren't too many devices using it a the same time.

Hmm, if speeds deteriorate after a power cycle, could it be a problem with the modem/router itself then?? got a spare one to test?
    Last edited by Chiips; 29-09-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: oops

Sigs credit to SmilingLocoOtis

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) Stonemull's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Chiips View Post
    9up and 0.9 down should be plenty for gaming, as long as too many devices using it a the same time.
    just noting chippys deliberate mistake in case of confusion.
    he means of course 9 down and 0.9 up

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Really should proof read my posts...

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

not often i catch you in a fubar.
    had to post..

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Ok so I finally remembered to do this check thing. I dont pretend to know anything about the internet so here goes...

Ping = 53ms
    DL Speed = 2.39Mbps
    UL Speed = 0.8Mbps

I did the test a second time and the variation is so minor it is not worth discussing in detail.

Is this good or shit?

I know that I have never had anything download at 2 Mbps I can assure you...

Rekon the most I've ever seen is around 500Kbps for a system update.

AUF Full Member - Halfway Glory-Hound (5000+) mmmgilly's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd1 View Post
    Ok so I finally remembered to do this check thing. I dont pretend to know anything about the internet so here goes...

Ping = 53ms
    DL Speed = 2.39Mbps
    UL Speed = 0.8Mbps

I did the test a second time and the variation is so minor it is not worth discussing in detail.

Is this good or shit?

Storage usually uses Bytes as the unit of measurement, and speed is usually measured in bits/second. So your 2.39 Megabits per second is equal to around about .3 MegaBytes per second (I'm not familiar with adsl2+ at all so I can't really tell you how good that is compared to similar networks, but it's shit compared to cable and fibre). 0.8 Megabits per second upload is decent though considering your download speed.
    "Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000ft and climbing"

"What have I done, that poor dog" GuitarGod-2016

"thanks to gilly for giving me "head" ....... shots.. 5 to be exact.. thanks bud.. took a load off .." Keppida aka Des 2017

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Ping = 53ms
    DL Speed = 2.39Mbps
    UL Speed = 0.8Mbps

Is this good or shit?

we have it in the thread here somewhere, you can pretty much divide a bits pre second by 10 to give a bytes per second, once you throw in packet overheads and the like.

I am guessing you are in a 256k connection, if on adsl 2 it should only be a switch flick at the isp end to upgrade to either a 512K or 1500K connection.
    at least I think so, depends on how far from the exchange etc.
    if you login to the router you should see a sync speed, this I think will be at the line rate (may be wrong?)

I am on 1500 adsl 2+ regional and get this to my ipad over wifi 25m from the router.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/981229903

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Ok thanks guys didn't even know about any of this. I'll log into the router and see what the story is.

Clan
    AUF~
    PSN
    engn042
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Stonemull View Post
    we have it in the thread here somewhere, you can pretty much divide a bits pre second by 10 to give a bytes per second, once you throw in packet overheads and the like.

I am guessing you are in a 256k connection, if on adsl 2 it should only be a switch flick at the isp end to upgrade to either a 512K or 1500K connection.
    at least I think so, depends on how far from the exchange etc.
    if you login to the router you should see a sync speed, this I think will be at the line rate (may be wrong?)

I am on 1500 adsl 2+ regional and get this to my ipad over wifi 25m from the router.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/981229903
    What's funny is you've a better speed than I have when I've even plugged in the Ethernet and am 1m away from the router.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Quote Originally Posted by engn042 View Post
    What's funny is you've a better speed than I have when I've even plugged in the Ethernet and am 1m away from the router.
    probably cause my account is 6 times the speed of yours.
    its always worth checking what prices ISP's are offering at least yearly.
    they don't bother to tell you if there is a new faster account thats cheaper than what you now pay.

did you get any modem info ?

Clan
    AUF~
    PSN
    engn042
    XBLA
    N/A

TPG dialled back the speed to 6.5Mbps down, 0.4Mbps up and it appears to have settled the connection. Have also moved the wifi to Ch8, from Auto.

Good idea re: "service level". Indeed I've been with them 10 years and that has happened a couple of times.

I picked up a W8980. Will see whether I get the boost in signal strength. Maybe on the weekend.

AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) lex_stone_76's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lex_stone_76
    XBLA
    N/A

Anyone use aanet? Am thinking about switching to them (from iinet, must have a thing for vowels). Used them years ago with no probs just wondering if they're still alright.

AUF Full Member - Progressing thru Pain (400+) abey17's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    abey17
    XBLA
    abey17

Optus

Ping - 10ms
    Down - 98.36 Mbps
    Up - 1.36 Mbps

(Ethernet - Ookla Speedtest)

Limitation is that there is only 120gb for the month :P

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

So I finally got around to finding the modem details - kept forgetting!

The Line Rate - Upstream = 992kbps and the Downstream = 3151kbps.

I also had a look at TPG. The plan I'm on says I should achieve up to 20mbps. Given I'm only achieving 2.39mbps - I assume its not that flash?

I remember TPG said we were located some distance from the exchange, but we went with it at the time. Might be time to shop around.

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

I had terrible internet with TPG, I'm 3+ km away from exchange and after 5pm every night my net would just completely cut out. I'm with Internode now and haven't had any probs and am getting a faster connection.

Wish Abbot wasn't PM then I would have NBN by now
    CLICK ON MY MANBOOBS TO JOIN AUF

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeah I was thinking of either Adam or internode. Good to know you don't have any dramas. The advantage of Adam is its run from Adelaide so I'm hoping they'll have more local exchanges.

With you on the Abbott thing. At least we know hes out there shirtfronting people for us.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

i would love to see abbot and putin in the ring together.
    i'd put my money on putin lol. dude took on the kgb and won.
    abbots just a mouthy fukn wimp who would have folded in a split second behind closed doors.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Yeah I was thinking of either Adam or internode. Good to know you don't have any dramas. The advantage of Adam is its run from Adelaide so I'm hoping they'll have more local exchanges.
    I would recommend looking at Exetel as well. They normally utilise the best lines available (NBN, Telstra, etc), and you have plenty to choose from, with competitive 12month plans and good quota (no excess charge).

Used to use them for both work and home, and was quite happy with them. Only thing, they may not phone support you can call, everything used to be done via email I think.... not sure if that's changed?

But yes, I would definitely check them out, enter your address in etc and compare.

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Thanks chiips will do!

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

I was with exetel and mo major hassles but they went downhill after the death of john linton.
    very unfriendly to those lawbreakers using torrents.
    I was happy enough with them in general but they could not do a net/phone bundle and also could not get me adsl 2 on my exchange despite me asking 4 times. the only ports in my exchange were telstra owned and all exetel could offer were optus.
    I changed over to logitel, they could bundle my phone/net for $30 a month cheaper, went from 160G a month (60 peak and 100 offpeak I think), no longer count uploads at all, could go to adsl 2 giving me 8 times the soeed, 200G a month, no offpeak, included a VOIP number.
    once past the exchange it seems to become AAPT, works ok except for a bit alow early evenings.
    its worth shopping around.

plug your number in here and see what comes up ..

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Optus have some nice $90/month unlimited deals, expires 6th April 2015. Applies to Cable/ADSL/NBN connections.

Have a quick look at the summary (phone, or fetch tv, and also optional free Samsung Galaxy tab on 2yr contract)

LINK HERE

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

Cheers for the heads up chiips, will get mum and dad on to that. Their currently with optus on a $85 bundle with only 120GB of data, $5 to go unlimited data and calls is pretty good.
    "Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000ft and climbing"

"thanks to gilly for giving me "head" ....... shots.. 5 to be exact.. thanks bud.. took a load off .." Keppida aka Des 2017

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Quote Originally Posted by mmmgilly View Post
    Cheers for the heads up chiips, will get mum and dad on to that. Their currently with optus on a $85 bundle with only 120GB of data, $5 to go unlimited data and calls is pretty good.
    Be aware though gilly some of the older plans came with a speed increase pack, whereas these new ones cost $20/month extra for extra speed.
    Some cable plans which provide downloads up to 100mb/s maximum, whereas these new plans caps it at 30mb/s. I asked.
    For that reason, I decided against these new plans for now

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

Be aware though gilly some of the older plans came with a speed increase pack, whereas these new ones cost $20/month extra for extra speed.
    Some cable plans which provide downloads up to 100mb/s maximum, whereas these new plans caps it at 30mb/s. I asked.
    For that reason, I decided against these new plans for now
    The $85 one is pretty old, not sure what our "cap" is but we've hit 100Mb/s doing speedtests. Even if these new plans do cap at 30, if it's stable and unlimited that's good enough for me. I looked through the CIS for one of the plans, didn't see anything about speed even mentioned.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Gilly, more from Optus. 6 months free Netflix, unmetered.

Not sure if you can sign onto to one of those $90 plans AND get 6 months free Netflix.

LINK HERE

Get a taste of Netflix on OptusAvailable from 24 March until 5 July, Optus is giving customers the ultimate entertainment experience with a generous Netflix subscription. New and re-contracting customers can get a six month subscription to Netflix through Optus when they sign up to:

• home broadband bundle on a $60 plan or above, on a 24 month contract;
    • a postpaid mobile service on a $60 plan or above, on a 24 month contract; or
    • a postpaid mobile broadband service on a $30 plan or above, on a 24 month contract.

Optus is also giving prepaid customers a three month subscription when they purchase any prepaid phone or mobile broadband device and activate the included SIM.
    Allen Lew, Optus Chief Executive Officer, said “We know that while many Australians prefer to watch their favourite TV show or the latest movies from the comfort of their home, they also want portable content for their smartphones. With our subscription offer, we’re giving customers all the entertainment they need in the one place, and the freedom to watch what they want, when they want it.”
    Netflix however you like it
    In addition to the subscription offer, we’re giving customers the flexibility and control around their Netflix experience with Optus:

• Un-metered Netflix: From 17 April, Optus fixed home broadband customers will be able to stream as much Netflix content as they want, without metering
    • Fetch TV: Optus Fetch TV customers can access Netflix through the app on their Fetch TV 2ndGeneration set top box*
    • Protection from excess data charges: Optus My Plan Plus customers can get the most out of their Netflix subscription with automatic data top ups for $10 per extra GB, so they can catch the end of last night’s episode on their morning commute without bill shock.**
    • Superfast speeds: Optus’ rapidly expanding 4G Plus network means mobile customers can stream Netflix content at superfast speeds in more places.
    • Watch on almost any device: Optus customers can enjoy their Netflix subscription on laptops, smartphones, SIM-enabled tablets, or on a compatible smart TV or game console.

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

Gilly, more from Optus. 6 months free Netflix, unmetered.

Not sure if you can sign onto to one of those $90 plans AND get 6 months free Netflix.

LINK HERE
    Yeh, I've seen the unmetered stuff, didn't know about the subscription giveaway though. Mum and dad are discussing re-crontracting but the issue is they are currently paying for something they've tried to cancel multiple times meaning their $85 plan is actually $101 and they don't want it to go even higher. Optus has really fucked them over, when they first got the plan they are on now they were told that they had been paying (and recieving what they paid for) for an internet plan that had been cancelled for over a year and a half(somehow they managed to cancel just the internet half of an internet/homephone bundle), and the only option was to sign up to a new plan just to send us out a replacement modem. When getting the new plan they could not have the primary email as their old email adress, because it was allready assigned - to them.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

I had similar issues with Optus on the one time I used them, I can't remember details, I know I was billed for 3 months after disconnecting, would get a refund, then get another bill, with the refunded amount tacked on..
    I was very happy to finally see the back of them and will never use them again.
    since I will no longer ever use telsra, optus or vodaphone, my choices are limited.
    surprisingly my best service was with AAPT, my free modem lasted about 6 years till I blew it up adding a fan, it used to overheat on hot days towards the end. only issue with them was their latency, currently signed up with logitel on a telstra port .. guess who they use for bulk data, aapt lol.