Thread: The Official ISP Discussion Thread

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) repercuss's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    repercuss
    XBLA
    N/A

In other news my new 4g* phone gets just under 40mb down and 30ish up.

Latency? Yeah you bet there is. 100-200ms

* I am aware that its not "real" 4g in Aust yet. A lot easier than saying 3.7g kinda

remotely operated

Consequences and Repercussions

H.H > R.C > You

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) repercuss's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    repercuss
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Locoevo View Post
    Bloody better be.
    Oh you mean you country kids don't have to use satellite?

Double post FTW!

remotely operated

Consequences and Repercussions

H.H > R.C > You

AUF Full Member - Almost To The Point Of No Return (9000+) Kacoul-'s Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Kakkers-
    XBLA
    Steam: Kakkers

Steams DL has dropped from 1.5mb/s to 400kb/s. So disappointing, almost makes me wish I didn't move. Could be because Internode is far better than Telstra though.
    "Another reason to love AUF, you guys have skills, even those of us that think we are unskilled have uber-skills compared to the ham-fisted gaming atrocities I witnessed tonight." - Smilingmonkey

"You see nurf, the problem with stupid people is, they are too stupid to realise how stupid they are, and thus these stupid people need constant reminders to not do stupid things that the rest of us just know not to do." - mmmgilly

So joining AUF, that's a thing and can be done HERE...do it...right MEOW!

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Quote Originally Posted by AStiffBreeze View Post
    Nope! I called them up and asked "can I get it?" and they told me "yes you can."

Isn't the NBN coming to your neighbourhood any day now?

Posted from my phone
    I probably won't be getting it till maybe June 2014 by the looks of it.

Found a link if anyone is interested about telstra cable, good option if NBN isn't coming to a street near you any time soon. Also heres a link to find out if NBN is in your area yet.
    Last edited by Locoevo; 17-06-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    CLICK ON MY MANBOOBS TO JOIN AUF

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

People seem pretty interested in Telstra BigPond Ultimate Cable, which is the connection I just got and is giving me these speeds:

I thought I'd post up some more info in case anyone is interested.

Basically, it's cable internet so you connect via a cable modem (your existing ADSL modem won't work) plugged into a Foxtel outlet. That means that you must have Foxtel wired to your house/building before you can get it. if you're already using BigPond cable internet but aren't on the Ultimate plan then you'll need a new cable modem to get it (Telstra is currently using the Netgear CG3100).

To check if it's available in your area, use the link that Loco posted above: http://register.bigpond.com/check-availability.do

You want Ultimate Cable, not Elite Cable.

In terms of cost, Telstra had a deal going where they were offering free modem and installation, 200GB data quota (shaped to 256kbit/s after that) which includes uploads sadly, home line rental, free local calls, and free calls to telstra mobiles, for $90/month on a 2 year contract. I was already paying $50 a month for shithouse internet, and my phone line rental was $23 a month (without any free calls included), so for me it was a no-brainer.
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) Sw3Et's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Sw3Et_07
    XBLA
    N/A

Can you run foxtel and the net through the same outlet? I have foxtel already there should be some double adapter thing surely? Also I'll definitely look into this as I work from home so it's a tax deduction for me :P

EDIT: our foxtel is dish and not cable (duh) fucking perth
    Last edited by Sw3Et; 21-06-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Super Moderator AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) RayTraced's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    RayTraced

Is ther any alternatives other than telstra??

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) Sw3Et's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Sw3Et_07
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by RayTraced View Post
    I'm pretty sure telstra are the only ones who have those foxtel cables do I doubt it.

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Quote Originally Posted by RayTraced View Post
    Optus has cable as well, although minimal coverage (selected areas in Brissy, Melb and Syd only). Not sure if they're signing new people onto cable though, and dunno if they can match Stiffy's speed

Sigs credit to SmilingLocoOtis

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) drgeebz's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    drgeebz
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeah inlaws have optus cable. Its very fast but not ^that fast.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Chiips View Post
    Optus has cable as well, although minimal coverage (selected areas in Brissy, Melb and Syd only). Not sure if they're signing new people onto cable though, and dunno if they can match Stiffy's speed
    Yeah I'm not sure if Optus is offering the new spec cable yet or has any plans to. The previous cable spec (which is what BigPond Elite still uses) was about 40Mbit/s downstream and about 1.2Mbit/s upstream. Which is still pretty damn good especially if you're a long way from an exchange.

Posted from my phone

--> CLICK HERE <--

AUF Full Member - Private First Class (250+)
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    xX-CjunkY-Xx
    XBLA
    N/A

People seem pretty interested in Telstra BigPond Ultimate Cable, which is the connection I just got and is giving me these speeds:

I thought I'd post up some more info in case anyone is interested.

Basically, it's cable internet so you connect via a cable modem (your existing ADSL modem won't work) plugged into a Foxtel outlet. That means that you must have Foxtel wired to your house/building before you can get it. if you're already using BigPond cable internet but aren't on the Ultimate plan then you'll need a new cable modem to get it (Telstra is currently using the Netgear CG3100).

To check if it's available in your area, use the link that Loco posted above: http://register.bigpond.com/check-availability.do

You want Ultimate Cable, not Elite Cable.

In terms of cost, Telstra had a deal going where they were offering free modem and installation, 200GB data quota (shaped to 256kbit/s after that) which includes uploads sadly, home line rental, free local calls, and free calls to telstra mobiles, for $90/month on a 2 year contract. I was already paying $50 a month for shithouse internet, and my phone line rental was $23 a month (without any free calls included), so for me it was a no-brainer.

Think i'm gonna try this,unfortunately have to leave internode which has the best customer service i've dealt with.

Thanks for the info stiff.

AUF Full Member - Halfway Glory-Hound (5000+) mmmgilly's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

So, we have been with Optus for quite a long time now, and we've been using the same modem we got with our plan for about five years now, because the internets always been the same just different amounts of bandwidth and phone plans over the years, and now our modem is definately having troubles.

Every now and again, the internet will just cut out (for everything at the exact same time from the computer at one end of the house to the playstation at the other), so naturally the modem is what we are looking at. Because it's an intermittent fault, we can't re-create it (but we do have a log using the modem software to show just how many times in the last month it's happened), and last night my brother was on hold to optus for an hour and a half (with random disconnections throughout) and as soon as he managed to get someone, it was fine for about an hour with nothing wrong.

Optus doesn't want to do anything about it because we are in the middle of a contract and they don't want to do anything without pulling everything apart and checking everything, so we told them that we haven't got a new modem for five years, and that either they come out and replace it, or they lose four long term loyal customers. They'll be ringing back today to say when they are coming out so hopefully soon all my disconnects and shit will get sorted.

Anyway, we have now learnt from our error and from now on will always get a new modem whenever we renew a contract with optus, just to be safe.

EDIT: The saga continues. They never rang. Some friends who were previously with optus gave us a brand new optus cable modem that they never used, due to going with a different ISP, we figured we'd just ring up, they could connect it to our account and activate it and it would be all good. Wrong. The bullshit artists at tech support tried telling us that our account had been cancelled for 18 months. so after a bit of stuffing round, we asked to be put onto billing, so we could get a refund for said time period. But the lady there (who was the only person at optus whose native language was english and had an IQ higher than 40) wanted to know why we wanted a refund, because our account had not been cancelled.

She told us that because we have had been on the same plan for such a long time, that the plan we are currently on was being phased out (which we had not recieved notice of) and the closest new plan was 6$ more but we get faster+more internet and she could send us out a notic so we can think about and decide, and we could get a new modem with it, so we were definately thinking about it. Then she also said "would you like me to get onto techs to see if they can activate your spare modem you've got there so you can use that while deciding on the new plan" so we like that idea. She asks us to hold, and after about 10 minutes comes back and she tells us that she's having difficulties getting on with/to them, and she'll be just a while longer. 40 minutes later, the hold music just stops. We're still on the line, the timer keeps ticking but we're getting nothing. after a while of that we get a mobile phone and ring up and try and figure out what is going on (all the while the other phone is on speaker and still nothing coming through), but absolutely no one could tell us who we were talking to and what was going on and ALL of them tried fixing our modem problem, and all of them telling us that our account had been cancelled for 18 months.

We worked our way up management untill we got the tech support manager who would not solve our problem of what happened to the girl from billing (we came to the conclusion that she got so pissed off with tech support she strangled herself with her phone cord) but we did come to a point where he said he would send us out a new modem. Relief. They send the modem, we plug it in, it may or may not already be activated to our account but a short call should have it all good, right? Wrong. We get the modem last night, plugged it in, did everything right and it didn't work. We called tech support again, he tried activating it and couldn't get it done, asked us if we'd "requested a cancellation" and upon insisting we haven't, he told us to wait ten minutes, unplug it, wait two minutes and then turn it back on again. It didn't work. My brother gets a call from the dipshit at tech support saying he'll work on it overnight. This morning, still nothing. We can still get internet through the old shithouse modem and our phone still works, but the brand new modem they sent us, will not work.

TL;DR, do not use Optus.
    Last edited by mmmgilly; 30-11-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    "Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000ft and climbing"

"What have I done, that poor dog" GuitarGod-2016

"thanks to gilly for giving me "head" ....... shots.. 5 to be exact.. thanks bud.. took a load off .." Keppida aka Des 2017

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) L1eutenant's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    L1eutenant-
    XBLA
    N/A

With GTAV and the PS4 coming out I am thinking about getting internet setup where I currently live.

The guy that has lived here for the last 5 years normally works on the pipeline so he uses a laptop with mobile broadband.

The problem is that I know we have a phone line but he has never had a home phone so I have no idea where/what number to provide to Telstra etc. to see if i can get internet where i live.

How do I progress from here?

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Quote Originally Posted by L1eutenant View Post
    With GTAV and the PS4 coming out I am thinking about getting internet setup where I currently live.

The guy that has lived here for the last 5 years normally works on the pipeline so he uses a laptop with mobile broadband.

The problem is that I know we have a phone line but he has never had a home phone so I have no idea where/what number to provide to Telstra etc. to see if i can get internet where i live.

Giving them your address should suffice Lt.

Or try using (not sure how accurate it is though)

http://www.yourbroadband.com.au/

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Kakkers-
    XBLA

Do you pay for a home phone? If you do it'll probably be in white pages, if not you wont have a phone number, so you'll need to set one up with your ISP.
    "Another reason to love AUF, you guys have skills, even those of us that think we are unskilled have uber-skills compared to the ham-fisted gaming atrocities I witnessed tonight." - Smilingmonkey

"You see nurf, the problem with stupid people is, they are too stupid to realise how stupid they are, and thus these stupid people need constant reminders to not do stupid things that the rest of us just know not to do." - mmmgilly

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) L1eutenant's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    L1eutenant-
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Kacoul- View Post
    Do you pay for a home phone? If you do it'll probably be in white pages, if not you wont have a phone number, so you'll need to set one up with your ISP.
    So I can't just get internet?

EDIT: no home phone...
    Last edited by L1eutenant; 11-09-2013 at 11:58 AM.

AUF Full Member - Warbird Firehead (750+)
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    SpudRotor
    XBLA
    SpudRotor

Have you called your mobile from the Home Phone(buy a 5-10 dollar cheapy) if it isn't private it will come up
    Spud out...

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Kakkers-
    XBLA

You need a phone connection to use internet.

Unless your lucky enough to have naked broadband in your area.

edit: when i was renting we didnt use a home phone either so just went on the cheapest option available and never connected a phone.

AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) Rob_Cliffeild's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Rob_Cliffeild
    XBLA
    Steam: Rob_Cliffeild

Thought of Cable?

Sent from the Android rebellion at AUF
    OMG, GPS Russia is the best! My favourite is still N 59 56' 19.9062", E 30 18' 41.601", that video went off!
    Want to Join AUF
    --> READ ME FIRST <--
    make sure you click that link that Rob posted above, it explains what you need to do.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Lt

Just give ISPs a call, give them your address and they should be able to give you options. Just do your homework to figure out what's avail in your location, and don't sign on the spot yet.

Go for cable if it's an option, but depending on who owns the cable, naked might not be an option, you might have to sign up for cheap phone line as well.
    Or look into bundles. options will differ depending where u live, so what applies to us might not be avail for you.

Also ask them who owns the line/cable in your area, as it'll then give you an idea what other ISPs to enquire. Eg. Internode use Telstra lines.
    Some ISPs have their own infrastructure, so look into them separately. TPG for example, and maybe iinet?

Good luck

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) stieny's Avatar

So the nbn is currently being connected in my unit and was wondering if any Auf peeps know who the best provider is in regards to speeds download limit and prices. I'm currently with Telstra but very willing to change to someone else

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) lima-alpha-88's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    lima-alpha-88
    XBLA
    strong

Quote Originally Posted by stieny View Post
    So the nbn is currently being connected in my unit and was wondering if any Auf peeps know who the best provider is in regards to speeds download limit and prices. I'm currently with Telstra but very willing to change to someone else

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    Too jealous to give advice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) Stonemull's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

Quote Originally Posted by lima-alpha-88 View Post
    Too jealous to give advice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    it would only be post-labour pretend nbn.

Not as noisy as Des

AUF Full Member - Private First Class (250+) engn042's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF~
    PSN
    engn042
    XBLA
    N/A

Default The Official ISP Discussion Thread

Hi All. I'm getting the willies with TPG and having to constantly reboot my modem in order to maintain a decent download speed. Plus their VOip service is always failing.

I'm in Sydney and I'm wondering what the Clan's recent positive experience with ISPs are?

I am contemplating bundling the phone, Internet, mobiles with one service provider, if I can get a decent "family" plan as I have stuff all over the place.

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) Scout___AUS's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    Scout___AUS
    XBLA
    N/A

We were with TPG. Switched to internode and paid the extra $.

The extra $ has earned its keep with good phone technical support by Australian's. We have our land line with them but never use it. They have Voip but not sure about mobiles

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by engn042 View Post
    Hi All. I'm getting the willies with TPG and having to constantly reboot my modem in order to maintain a decent download speed. Plus their VOip service is always failing.

I'm in Sydney and I'm wondering what the Clan's recent positive experience with ISPs are?

I am contemplating bundling the phone, Internet, mobiles with one service provider, if I can get a decent "family" plan as I have stuff all over the place.
    What sort of ADSL sync speeds do you see (i.e. how far from an exchange are you)? If they're not flash then don't forget to check out BigPond cable. Won't be the cheapest option but might be the best depending on your situation.

Interested in joining AUF? Full instructions can be found HERE.

--> CLICK HERE <--

AUF Full Member - Locked and Loaded (500+) mstwntd1's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mstwntd1
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeah I'm with tpg was thinking of changing as well but don't know much about the net. I remember them telling us years ago the distance from the exchange is crap, but how do you check the sync speeds stiff? My dl speeds are pretty crappy as well

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd1 View Post
    Yeah I'm with tpg was thinking of changing as well but don't know much about the net. I remember them telling us years ago the distance from the exchange is crap, but how do you check the sync speeds stiff? My dl speeds are pretty crappy as well
    Sorry sync speeds are just the download and upload speeds (same thing). Speedtest.net.

Interested in joining AUF? Full instructions can be found HERE.

--> CLICK HERE <--

AUF Full Member - Private First Class (250+) engn042's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF~
    PSN
    engn042
    XBLA
    N/A

For me, I use an iphone app called Ookla. When working well (after reboot), its 9 Megabits down and 0.9 up.