Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Iphone vs Android

Roast Chicken Enforcer AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) LeFarns's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    LeFarns
    XBLA
    LeFarns

Default Iphone vs Android

Ok, so i am due to upgrade my phone. Currently have Iphone 3G and have hacked the shit out of it. My question is what are peoples thoughts on the android? and what is the best android phone? and should i get the new Iphone or Android??????

AUF Full Member - Capable of Melting Worlds (7000+) CheekyChimpanzee's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    CheekyChimpanzee
    XBLA
    Chimp Daddy

Hmm.. i'm gonna watch this with interest.

Personally, I'm seriously considering going back to a standard mobile (for the better reception than smart phones in the more regional areas) and then I am considering getting an iPad version 2.0

AUF Full Member - Pave My Way With BLOOD (2500+) murph_BTK's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    murph_BTK
    XBLA
    tnuca

I second that cheeky I have had enough of my Iphone , Im hoping K-brad and or GIR look at this thread. A mate of mine the other day was telling me he got a samsung ( with all the techo bullshit on it) and they gave him a 160gb slim PS3 , And that they all so had other deals where you get a phone ps3 and a 32" LCD tv , I cant remember the name of the store he was in when I find out i'll post it up

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    LeFarns
    XBLA
    LeFarns

please do murph...hope someone can shed some light on the android. they seem ok. Not sure what the apps store is like, but i believe it is pretty easy to hack...i will not get it unless you can hack the apps.

AUF Friend - My Best Friend Girlfriends Sister (500+) acriu55's Avatar
    Clan
    FV
    PSN
    acriu55

Its all really a matter a preference. The OS is similar but the android is more 'open' so if you want to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot you can do that (NFI why you would want to but anyways...). The iphone wins out on apps though. the android marketplace is a clusterfuck

Oh and on the topic of reception, I believe the iphone 4 is a telstra blue tick phone. so the reception has improved alot over older models

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    LeFarns
    XBLA
    LeFarns

soooooooooooooooooo your preference is iphone? for apps? i use my phone more as a email/apps/music device anyway...phone reception no biggy for me.

Clan
    FV
    PSN
    acriu55

apps and games is the clincher for me. more so on the games.

EDIT: I think email is better on android but music on the iphone shits all over android. each have there positives and negatives

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    LeFarns
    XBLA
    LeFarns

know anywhere they have done a comparison?

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

The question is what do you want to get out of your phone? I've got an iphone, but only use it for phone+sms+ occ use as camera...as I'm around computers most of the day (work and home), so there's rarely a need to check emails, ausforces.com via iphone.

I'm with Cheeks. A non-smart phone + ipad or laptop/macbook/macbook air might be the go.

But will be looking at this thread with interest for self education!

Sigs credit to SmilingLocoOtis

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

AUF Friend - 400 Bottles of Beer on the Wall (400+) Gir283's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    N/A
    XBLA
    Gir283

The same advise I've given everyone asking me that question (iOS/Android) It's dead simple.

Solution in 4 Easy steps:
    1. Go to a Large Telstra Store
    2. Play with Live iOS Phone (iPhone 4)
    3. Play with all the Android's (Remember, Manufacturers skin their ones so play with several "makes")
    4. Select which one you feel meets your needs

Done! Dead Simple! Even my learning disabled cousin (True story) was able to make his mind up with that.

NOTE: I am not saying buy it from Telstra or even go with Telstra for provider, what i AM saying is our stores actually have real, working phones there where you can actually see and feel what you'd be getting. I don't give a rats if you look there then go to some dodgy little shop to buy a Korean import etc

Quote Originally Posted by Joshizzled View Post
    they were a pack of assholes. So i power fisted everyone of them

Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    N/A
    XBLA
    Gir283

Quote Originally Posted by acriu55 View Post
    Its all really a matter a preference. The OS is similar but the android is more 'open' so if you want to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot you can do that (NFI why you would want to but anyways...). The iphone wins out on apps though. the android marketplace is a clusterfuck

Oh and on the topic of reception, I believe the iphone 4 is a telstra blue tick phone. so the reception has improved alot over older models
    Market? Really? Have you USED the market? I don't see it being any worse than Mac Market (YES i have both phones, actually i currently have 2 iPhones and 3 Androids). In fact if you want to argue market you COULD also put up the argument that the % or paid vs unpaid apps on the two markets are almost reversed (more paid on Apple's, less paid on Googles). Also - i know people want to argue the Apple store has XXXXXX apps and Google has XXXX but seriously you can't use them all...

Oh. and wrong, it's NOT a bluetick phone. We don't have a blue tick version of any iOS or Android phone

I'll add to my last response with this:
    Go to www.appbrain.com (a version of the Android Store) and go to the Apple market and check for apps that you actually want.

SIGH...

Ok just read some more of these responses. Guys.... Don't listen to anything ANY of us say - just go look. As for me. I use my Galaxy Tab as my primary phone at the moment. Music? I use Winamp and have no problems, Email? Samsung's email works well, and video i use the samsung video app. Watching 720p MP4's on the weekend while in sydney (a couple of movies of mine in 1080 MKV format simply converted) were easy to watch. But seriously I get sick of hearing posts on all forums/facebook/whereever on the topic. At the end of the day if you want to have a laptop/phone/camera all separate etc who cares? That's your choice so do it. But it's a personal choice as is choosing between ANY mobile platform for smartphones (iOS/Android/Rim/WP7) so please - just go look, Telstra has deployed live phones in stores to help with that, in the past we all had to just look at the printed screen and have people say things like Ohhhh, no Iphone is best or No... Black phone is best but you couldn't interact with it to see if it works for you, which, if you're looking for a smart phone is the only freaking thing you should be worried about
    Last edited by Gir283; 15-02-2011 at 01:11 PM.

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) JORDS686's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    JORDS686
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Murphinator666 View Post
    I second that cheeky I have had enough of my Iphone , Im hoping K-brad and or GIR look at this thread. A mate of mine the other day was telling me he got a samsung ( with all the techo bullshit on it) and they gave him a 160gb slim PS3 , And that they all so had other deals where you get a phone ps3 and a 32" LCD tv , I cant remember the name of the store he was in when I find out i'll post it up
    The PS3 and TV deal is from Dodo. I was considering getting that but went for an iPhone 4 on a $49 cap with optus because they removed the handset charge for me.

I had an android phone(Sony Ericsson Xperia X10) I think they are both pretty similar although at first impressions I think this iPhone is slightly better. If you have a bit of patience, Samsung are releasing their flagship Nexus S in a few months and I think it will be the best phone you will be able to buy.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    LeFarns
    XBLA
    LeFarns

hmmm you sound cranky. maybe you should take a pill and lie down...

thanks for the advise sort of. I was really interested in OS stability, customisation, etc....

AUF Full (TRIAL) Member - Still on Trial OMFG!!! (100+) bobandbunny's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    bobandbunny
    XBLA
    N/A

Had a long discussion about this with friends at the weekend. One had a HTC Desire the other an Iphone 3. The Iphone owner wouldn't get another Iphone. All music has to be transferred via itunes and not drag and drop like on the HTC, which as far as a pc is concerned, is simply an external drive. Apparently most of the decent apps (like common games) are available on both. Generally the HTC is more open to changing ring tones, the look of the desktop etc, whereas the iphone is locked down.

Having said that my wife is still getting an iphone - aahh

Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    N/A
    XBLA
    Gir283

Quote Originally Posted by LeFarns View Post
    hmmm you sound cranky. maybe you should take a pill and lie down...

thanks for the advise sort of. I was really interested in OS stability, customisation, etc....
    lol. No. It's just another forum i've on has over the weekend - and today - devolved into Jobites Vs Google Fan boys, it's like if you posted a thread here asking innocently "Which should I get PS3 or X360?"

Stability: My Desire was stable (i've been cooking up new roms for it lately so it's currently out at the moment). The Galaxy tab is fine apart from Samsung's Skinning on that device causing a bit of lag. My iPhone was running generally ok.

Customisation: With Apple the customisation is..... Put icons in a different order. Apart from that you're locked into Apple's way of doing it. Google give you flexibility to run any number of widgets, launchers, keyboards etc (My partner needed Japanese Input, she changed from iPhone to another Android because of the number of different keyboards she has to chose from other than "This is my way, enjoy it or F7(k off" that you get with the iPhone.

At the end of the day people will try and justify their purchases to others by exalting their chosen item's merits. I take the other approach of telling you how you can more readily make your decision and have it fit with what you need from something. The thing to remember. A Smartphone is only as weak as it's ability to offer you a UI that works well for you, it doesn't matter what lies under that, if everytime you want to use one of the underlying functions you have to suffer through "God i hate how it makes me do XXX to get to YYY" then it's going to fail for you. Personally, i prefer my Android than the iPhone - in fact i sent my 32G 3GS to iOrion to use - so i only had Mei's one here in Melbourne.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    CheekyChimpanzee
    XBLA
    Chimp Daddy

Lefarns, you should be an early adopter of that new ericsson playstation phone.

Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    N/A
    XBLA
    Gir283

Quote Originally Posted by CheekyChimpanzee View Post
    Lefarns, you should be an early adopter of that new ericsson playstation phone.
    OR he should get a Defy Android - you know, because they're waterproof.

Clan
    FV
    PSN
    acriu55

Quote Originally Posted by Gir283 View Post
    Market? Really? Have you USED the market? I don't see it being any worse than Mac Market (YES i have both phones, actually i currently have 2 iPhones and 3 Androids). In fact if you want to argue market you COULD also put up the argument that the % or paid vs unpaid apps on the two markets are almost reversed (more paid on Apple's, less paid on Googles). Also - i know people want to argue the Apple store has XXXXXX apps and Google has XXXX but seriously you can't use them all...

geeez chill dude. no need to get so worked up. but firstly, the market place is a clusterfuck which is why google have started to try getting there act together and unifying it all. Alot of die hard android fanboys don't deny this. it's one of the major downsides to the android platform. This is not something I am going to get into an argument about though, so you have your opinion and ill have mine.

Oh. and wrong, it's NOT a bluetick phone. We don't have a blue tick version of any iOS or Android phone

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/29/australias_telstra_awards_iphone_4_blue_tick_for_s uperior_reception.html

I'll add to my last response with this:
    Go to www.appbrain.com (a version of the Android Store) and go to the Apple market and check for apps that you actually want.

I dont get what your saying here, you mean you can get any app for iOS for android on that site? If I was to list all the top tier games and apps available for iOS and NOT out on android ill be typing for weeks

SIGH...

Indeed...

Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    N/A
    XBLA
    Gir283

Firstly... From our OWN internal coms
    Code:
    Tip 1 – Enjoy Blue Tick equivalent coverage on iPhone 4 in regional coverage areas with an approved bumper or case

The great news for our regional and rural customers is that an approved rubberised bumper or case can help to maximise the coverage performance of the iPhone 4. In fact, the handheld coverage performance is improved so that it is equivalent to one of our Telstra ‘Blue Tick’ devices.

We award our Blue Tick to mobiles that have the best coverage performance and recommend them to customers working or living in regional and rural coverage areas.

A bumper, in case you’re wondering, is a rubber accessory that fits snugly around the edges of a mobile phone.
    It's equivalent - IF you have a bumber case on due to the crap radio design - which caused Apple to advertise for more antennae engineers to hire. We haven't awarded it a blue tick. And, from a personal testing of our devices perspective I haven't seen any real difference in reception quality iPhone4 Vs, Galaxy Tab (though this was consistantly higher due to the massive size of the antennae) HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S, or the Legend and Hero phones we have here - and this includes a drive out to the north west of Vic to test it's ability (I still don't know how i convinced people to let me do that )

And on the app front. Both camps, Apple and Google fan boys go on about "we have 100000 apps etc" but to be honest how many apps do you use vs are there, and of those which ones are unique to the platform - equivalent apps or even the same app dev's are developing on both platforms.

I'm simply over the AndroidVsApple debates - after almost one whole week of them going on in another forum - and with my idiot cousin At the end of the day i'm constantly surprised that people simply don't go and test drive one, you would if you are looking for a car

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    CheekyChimpanzee
    XBLA
    Chimp Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Gir283 View Post
    At the end of the day i'm constantly surprised that people simply don't go and test drive one, you would if you are looking for a car
    I guess it just comes back to LeFarns' query.. OS stability, ability to customise them etc..

Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    N/A
    XBLA
    Gir283

Quote Originally Posted by CheekyChimpanzee View Post
    I guess it just comes back to LeFarns' query.. OS stability, ability to customise them etc..
    Yup. And after he put that down I was able to answer

Clan
    FV
    PSN
    acriu55

I wasn't referring to the quantity of apps i was referring to top tier apps and games available for iphone but not android. eg. infinity blade and other games using the unreal 3 engine are only available for iphone. whats the android equivalent to that?

Yeah you need a bumper case for it to be blue tick but thats only because there is a chance that if you are covering the aerial the reception may suffer. the plastic case does not improve the reception in any way. and from someone who has used the iphone 4 with and without the bumper case i havent noticed a lick of difference tbh. I death grip the hell out of my phone on a daily basis and never lose reception. the whole aerial issue was blown way out of proportion and was lapped up by anti apple people.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    LeFarns
    XBLA
    LeFarns

ok - relax the tension.....everyone can have an opinion. this was a basic pro's and con's question.

I have played with both in the store. I am familiar with the iPhone obviously but don't really know the cons of the android.

so will just leave it there i think and take a punt.

AUF Full Member - Middle Distance Man (1500+) bigfatant's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    bigfatant
    XBLA
    dunhaveonela

I believe they were saying that the new IOS release will have wifi hotspot function..

Anyway, I have an iphone 3gs, wife has a iphone 4, daughter has a ipod touch, mom has an ipad..
    All pretty much stable and lots of educational apps for my kid which she loves.

But saying that I'm tempted to get the new nexus phone just for myself when my contract runs out at the end of this year..
    And probably get my wife the new iphone 5 as well. best of both worlds i guess.

An interesting story though, our office receptionist has just got a new iphone but asked fellow iphone users - 'how do i change the sms notification tone??'
    I don't think you can so essentially, it's apple iphone way or the highway..
    That's why my next phone will probably be the new nexus..

AUF Friend - 40 Posts of PAIN! (30+) x-CODY9428's Avatar
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Clan
    AuE*
    PSN
    x-CODY9428
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatant View Post
    'how do i change the sms notification tone??'
    I don't think you can so essentially, it's apple iphone way or the highway..
    yeh mate you can change the tones in the settings

but yeh i have the iphone 4 and love it and so does my mum and sis has the 3Gs. im with optus because of the data plan and plenty of credit and my mum is with telstra and the reception issues are huge difference. she pre much always has 4-5 bars in good areas wher i will probally have 3-4 but the real test is when we have been to places with low reception and hers shits all over mine.

i dont use to much apps for mine besides stick cricket atm when im bored in class and at home but i mainly use it for emails, text, facebook, net and which i beleive is the best device for music.

but some mates have the android and they like it but and i think its pre sweet aswell but they have the galaxy which has pre shit battery life and other problems but samsung have just announced galaxy 2 in barcelona event and other phones have also been announced and also at the 2011 CES convention soo i think their will be a boom in the android market and also im pre sure they have their new firmware or its was just the honeycombe for their tablets which also now are really good and i would consider getting one myabeh depending on what the next ipad is like but i have an ipad atm soo wont be for a while

but it really just comes down to personal preference but for now im loving the iphone

AUF Full Member - 8 Killer Bit Killer (8000+) asadoxian's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    asadoxian
    XBLA
    Asadoxian

dont forget the playstation software is going to be run on android phones
    [/CENTER]
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
    Stay off the crack... unless you can handle it socially!... Then go for it!!

Clan
    AuE*
    PSN
    x-CODY9428
    XBLA
    N/A

yeh i will have to see more videos and stuff to make my mind up about that and the battery life better be good otherwise dont even bother

AUF Full Member - 8 Killer Bit Killer (8000+) asadoxian's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    asadoxian
    XBLA
    Asadoxian

um dude not the new psp2 the PSN software is gunna be available on mobile android devices
    [/CENTER]
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
    Stay off the crack... unless you can handle it socially!... Then go for it!!

AUF Full Member - Battlehead Boy (3500+) Drace_Sabin's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Drace_Sabin
    XBLA
    you're eX's BOX

i bought a htc desire hd and i have never had a phone that is as awesome as this phone........plus farnsey i have a app that you can get over 9000 paid apps for free on an android phone if ya get one.........for me i went android for 2 reasons......apple sells so many units cuz of the logo.....the htc desire hd kills the iphone 4 in every way....but because people with an iphone can look at others and say i have an iphone im super awesome you should have an iphone too and be cool like me......basically its a modern schoolyard yo-yo...alot like people that buy $3000 mac's and dont use it for music, graphic design or multimedia editing......its just stupid.....that being said its still a great phone......but the openess of the android allows way more...i have a htc desire hd thats rooted...so i can set my cpu speed to overclock or underclock to conserve battery....remove all those annoying system apps like twitter and all that gay shit....install custom rom OS's......i can even install iclone that makes it exactly like a iphone....plus i can send files over bluetooth (lol at apple for that stupidity)
    the thing with phones is.....its a personal thing...we could post the pros and cons of android vs iphone till the cows come home but its all down to personal preference

on a side note i do think in the future android will surpass the iphone app-wise and the playstation phone is a great start for games on android but thats my 2 cents

Clan
    AuE*
    PSN
    x-CODY9428
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by asadoxian View Post
    um dude not the new psp2 the PSN software is gunna be available on mobile android devices
    yeh i no what u are talking about and im saying the battery better be good on the phone cause running bigger games like that would use a fair bit of battery its like on all phones