AUF Full Member - A #@^&% load of posts!! (6500+) nurfman's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    nurfman
    XBLA
    nurfman11

Default Outer Space Thread

Yes i know this isnt my photo its from the hubble telescope and it simply a shot that blows me away ive added a spiel

NASA yesterday released an amazing new image from the Hubble space telescope that shows galaxy NGC 4452.
    That's it above - the thin glowing line which is actually billions of stars around a bright nucleus.
    NGC 4452 is one of around 2000 galaxies in the Virgo Cluster, which lies some 60 million light years away.
    It's a rare shot because from Hubble's perspective, NGC 4452 lies directly edge-on to the Earth. The line you're seeing is the edge of the disc-shaped galaxy.
    The galaxy was first spotted back in 1784 by William Herschel, who described it as a "bright nebula, small and very much elongated".
    NASA was also this week celebrating the first shot a brown dwarf star by its Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE).
    "The brown dwarfs jump out at you like big, fat, green emeralds," Amy Mainzer, the deputy project scientist of WISE at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, said.
    Ms Mainzer said the brown dwarf appeared green in WISE images because methane in its atmospheres absorbed infrared light that had been coded blue and it was too faint to give off the infrared light color-coded red.
    The only colour left was green.

She said the dwarf is named WISEPC J045853.90+643451.9, is between 18 to 30 light years away and has a temperature of about 370C.
    It also stinks, consisting mainly of methane, hydrogen sulphide and ammonia.
    "If you could bottle up a gallon of this object's atmosphere and bring it back to Earth, smelling it wouldn't kill you, but it would stink pretty badly -- like rotten eggs with a hint of ammonia," Ms Mainzer said
    Last edited by nurfman; 18-11-2010 at 02:33 PM.

AUF Friend - My Best Friend Girlfriends Sister (500+) kobeson's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

shit like that blows my mind, I've never bought a telescope but have always been fascinated by astronomy.
    Interested in joining --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    nurfman
    XBLA
    nurfman11

I want a telescope bad (i was going to do an astronomy thread) for the first time since day dot we can begin to see our universe and most people couldnt give a toss. But i just love the photo

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Mate, my mind boggles like mad when I begin to think about it all, I'm into it! Start a thread, I love reading and looking at this kind of stuff!

Seeing back to day dot is just too perplexing to comprehend, but I know it is scientifically possible - being able to see light years ago through a tonne of glass is just fucking incredible. Would have loved to get into it somehow but back in science class I was a clown messing up shit for the nerds - the irony!! I had this dude in my science class who wanted to injct himself with crocodile cells to strengthen his skin, and I was sure he was gonna step into a black hole before my eyes one day, he used to go on and on lol.

Watching Back to the Future trilogy the other night, I was thinking how time travel is theoretically possible (backward, not forward) thanks to Nasa and Hubble, but it is still physically impossible.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    nurfman
    XBLA
    nurfman11

Default Outer Space Thread

We live in a golden age and yet as a whole we seem not to pay notice to just how large space is .....heres an idea take every grain of sand from the face of the earth and thats still not enough to represent the amount ofplanets out there .....the photography of space these days is incredible ...heres a few shots from hubble to wet your appetite

Please add some more because i find it fascinating
    Last edited by nurfman; 18-11-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

What are they?

Here is Orion:

Some look like they are just photoshop jobs, they are so incredible:

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

I think that most (if not all) of these photos are false colour images, which is why they look photoshopped kobes. Still beautiful to look at though.
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Do you mean fakes? Or just boosted saturation etc?

I don't think they are fake, they may be slightly enhanced - but gasses and light can produce some incredible effects.

AUF Leader & Founder AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Snickersma's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Nice idea for a thread. I read a quote the other day about the unimaginable vastness of space.. Will find it later. It was trying to compare distances and numbers of stars .. Like...

- 100 million stars in a galaxy
    - 10,000 galaxies in a cluster
    - 10,000 clusters in some infintessimally small part of the known universe LOL ..

Truly is beyond human comprehension I think

The space section of the NewScientist website (actually all of it) is a great read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUF Leader & Founder AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Snickersma's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Quote Originally Posted by AStiffBreeze View Post
    I think that most (if not all) of these photos are false colour images, which is why they look photoshopped kobes. Still beautiful to look at though.
    Think its assigning colours to specific gas or radiation readings .. So effectively REAL just making it easier for us to perceive it.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    nurfman
    XBLA
    nurfman11

Quote Originally Posted by kobeson View Post
    Do you mean fakes? Or just boosted saturation etc?

I don't think they are fake, they may be slightly enhanced - but gasses and light can produce some incredible effects.
    Taking color pictures with the Hubble Space Telescope is much more complex than taking color pictures with a traditional camera. For one thing, Hubble doesn't use color film — in fact, it doesn't use film at all. Rather, its cameras record light from the universe with special electronic detectors. These detectors produce images of the cosmos not in color, but in shades of black and white.

Finished color images are actually combinations of two or more black-and-white exposures to which color has been added during image processing.

The colors in Hubble images, which are assigned for various reasons, aren't always what we'd see if we were able to visit the imaged objects in a spacecraft. We often use color as a tool, whether it is to enhance an object's detail or to visualize what ordinarily could never be seen by the human eye.

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/behind...olor/index.php

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Thanks for posting that nurfman. Sorry to confuse everybody, I should have put a link to what false colour images are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False-color
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

The size of the Universe

The universe is very large and possibly infinite in volume. The region visible from Earth (the observable universe) is about 92 billion light years across, based on where the expansion of space has taken the most distant objects observed.

For comparison, the diameter of a typical galaxy is only 30,000 light-years, and the typical distance between two neighboring galaxies is only 3 million light-years.

As an example, our Milky Way Galaxy is roughly 100,000 light years in diameter, and our nearest sister galaxy, the Andromeda Galaxy, is located roughly 2.5 million light years away. There are probably more than 100 billion (100,000,000,000) galaxies in the observable universe. Typical galaxies range from dwarfs with as few as ten million] (10,000,000) stars up to giants with one trillion (1,000,000,000,000) stars, all orbiting the galaxy's center of mass. Thus, a very rough estimate from these numbers would suggest there are around one sextillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) stars in the observable universe;

.. though a 2003 study by Australian National University astronomers resulted in a figure of 70 sextillion (70,000,000,000,000,000,000,000).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

... Thats err really BIG

Now ... what are the chances that just 1 of those stars out of the 70 Sextillion .. has a little green planet much like our own.. and collections of hairy moronic creatures sitting in their shelters (living rooms) typing on some random forum just like this one??

I ask how arrogant could one possibly be to even suggest for a millisecond that life on other planets doesn't exist?!?!

I think there's something in that for all of us.

As the great Douglas Adam's wrote in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe:

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

.. and as a side note - if you are to travel in outer space you need one thing more than anything else --

"The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to- hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
    More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

Last edited by Snickersma; 18-11-2010 at 06:36 PM.

AUF Leader - The Insta-fractioner MannequinScreams's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Ford!, There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out.

Douglas Adams was a truely great man when it came to space.

AUF Full Member - 8 Killer Bit Killer (8000+) asadoxian's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    asadoxian
    XBLA
    Asadoxian

gods final message to the heathens?
    [/CENTER]
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
    Stay off the crack... unless you can handle it socially!... Then go for it!!

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Quote Originally Posted by asadoxian View Post
    gods final message to the heathens?
    You're all soooo screwed.

??

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+)
    Clan
    PSN
    Tallpaul77
    XBLA
    -

Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" is a must read if you like this stuff, he really does cover just about everything n the book and some of the comparisons he draws to help your imagination cope with the scale of stuff are brilliant.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    asadoxian
    XBLA
    Asadoxian

Quote Originally Posted by Snickersma View Post
    You're all soooo screwed.

??
    lol obviously not read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?

EDIT oh but you are
    [/CENTER]

AUF Friend - 400 Bottles of Beer on the Wall (400+) Gir283's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    N/A
    XBLA
    Gir283

Astro physics is fun.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joshizzled View Post
    they were a pack of assholes. So i power fisted everyone of them

Super Moderator AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) themonkeysmiles's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

Some philosophical dude once said that if you want to be able to imagine the infinite then you just have to contemplate the depths of human stupidity...tend to agree...

I always thought that to easily comprehend the size of the universe it would be necessary to first imagine something bigger...y'know,to make a comparison.

An age ago I had an awesome telescope...8" Newtonian reflector....that thing was huge...it was so great when I was into it all...through that thing I could see Jupiters moons,the shadow that the ring made on saturn,oh...and the spot on Jupiter as well....big storm apparently,thousands of times the size of Earth...awesome stuff.

I was involved with the Astronomical Society in Bundaberg when I lived there...I had the key to the observatory after volunteering to maintain the telescope...I had anytime access to the largest amateur telescope in the southern hemisphere...or so I was told...Its mirror was around 1 metre....You had to climb a ladder to get to the eyepiece.For a while there I was at that thing every clear night...The coolest thing I ever saw through that scope was when some Astronomers came up from brissie...they brought with them this ridiculous eyepiece...this thing was a huge,pressurised,gas filled monstrosity....they pointed the scope at a 'empty' patch of the night sky and let me look....I saw a whole cluster of galaxies...that blew my mind right then...spirals,front on side on,irregulars...I was told that I was looking through and past where Virgo is in the sky..so far back into the past that I couldnt really comprehend it at the time...Just the incredible size of what I was seeing didnt really make any sense to my mind at that time...It took a lot of thought and processing before I could understand it without my brain trying to distract me with all the little things that we think are all there is...funny how the brain works to protect itself at times...but thats another thread entirely.

Nurfman...I repped the death star...you mad bastard...love the thread.

WaRD special consultant..

AUF Full Member - Pave My Way With BLOOD (2500+) French_Maiden's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    French_Maiden

O M G

there is a huge telescope in Bundy and i have never known???? r u talking about bundaberg qld??

I have a telescope but its just an ameteur one, only good for see like the moons craters and stuff - which is interesting still.(for a while)

Super Moderator AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) themonkeysmiles's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    smilingmonkey

yes.

yes.

nice.

Bundaberg Astronomical Society

Meetings are held at the Alloway Observatory every Friday at 7.30pm. The second Friday of the month is for general meetings. First Friday of each month Starting at 6.45am public observing nights are held at which a basic introduction to Astronomy is given. Group bookings for viewing are also available.
    Street Address Goodwood Road
    Postal Address P.O. Box 4221 Bundaberg South QLD 4670
    Email: macsen2@yahoo.com
    Phone: (07) 4153 6469
    Email: macsen2@yahoo.com

There ya go budding astronomer.
    Last edited by themonkeysmiles; 19-11-2010 at 09:35 AM.

WaRD special consultant..

AUF Full Member - Pave My Way With BLOOD (2500+) French_Maiden's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    French_Maiden

yay! I will have to go. Thanks smiling

sent from my stupid n97 which for some reason is not compatible with taptalk.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Epic awesomeness in this thread.

.. And I'm not just talking about the stars.

Of course what is really interesting is that the BIGGER you look the more orderly and Newtonian the universe is .. But the smaller you look .. To the quantum level .. The more disorganized and random reality is.

Not to mention that reality itself is merely a psychological construction of our organic minds.

As monkey referred to .. The mind constructs layers of illusion to distract Itself from the vastness of the universe ... Which is I think why getting to higher levels of consciousness through meditation or drugs or whatever is such ardous, delicate and potentially dangerous process .. Bc if you strip the mind of its protection too fast and get glimpse of the infiniteness of the universe ... You can seriously blow your mind.

.. Or something

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    nurfman
    XBLA
    nurfman11

The size of the universe was actually on a show called the universe and it had a graphic and my mind still cant comprehend ....then i think about the big bang and think what was there before truely blows my mind .....Also sorry about this but i wanted to be the first ....smiling monkey ..*sniggger...ever seen the rings around URANUS...Ive got photos

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Quote Originally Posted by nurfman View Post
    The size of the universe was actually on a show called the universe and it had a graphic and my mind still cant comprehend ....then i think about the big bang and think what was there before truely blows my mind .....Also sorry about this but i wanted to be the first ....smiling monkey ..*sniggger...ever seen the rings around URANUS...Ive got photos
    I was just waiting for someone to mention Uranus.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    asadoxian
    XBLA
    Asadoxian

theres millions of flies on uranus 2 are fighting, which two are fighting?.... the two in the ring
    [/CENTER]

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Inserts Facepalm into discussion about Uranus.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    asadoxian
    XBLA
    Asadoxian

no pic? aw shattered?

back OT i always thought one of my teachers was an alien his head just didn't look human and he used big words not even other teachers could understand very strange man indeed
    [/CENTER]

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

lol asa, can't rep you anymore!

Smilin - that telescope sounds freaking amazing, I would love to look through something like that!