Thread: European Cinematography

AUF Leader - The Insta-fractioner MannequinScreams's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

The ones gattiweb have on ebay are brand new. 480 is still a bit steep so it might have to wait a bit longer. Gonna have to keep watch on my spending for a bit lol

AUF Friend - My Best Friend Girlfriends Sister (500+) kobeson's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

$480 for a brand new what from gattiweb? he doesn't sell Kogan does he?!?
    Interested in joining --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

It's a Panasonic BD60. Same as yours yeah?

Im interested in how good the dvd upscaling would be.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Mines the BD80 which adds analogue audio out - something u prob wouldn't need...

As for upscaling - upscaling upschmaling, all DVDs look average
    in comparison... it's not the best, so I have read, you need to spend a fair bit more for the best - the Oppo apparently is a good upscaler... but the Panny would suffice I'd say, I haven't actually tested the 80 with a DVD... check the dtvforums for more...

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

The closest you've seen to a dvd for years is a rip yeah? hahaha

I'll hold off on a region-free until there's a Criterion blu that is a must buy.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

The only DVDs (yeah, apart from rips ) are the Underbelly series 1 - the only ones I have bought since getting my PS3 I think!

If u don't consider any of the current titles must buy, you might be waiting a while!

8 1/2, The Third Man, The 400 Blows, The Seventh Seal, M, Yojimbo, Days of Heaven, Walkabout, Wings of Desire - they are as close to must buy as it gets!

I know you have only seen 3 of those though.

I really wish amazon would discount the Criterion titles more, I am not going to pay that much for them, but there's 3 titles I really
    wanna buy. M, Days of Heaven and Vivre sa vie.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I dont wanna fork out 500 then another 100 for a couple blu's. Because you know I couldn't just get one.

Days of Heaven is in my sight.

I was listening to GOLD FM this morning and they started talking about The White Ribbon!! Couldn't believe it. Nothing negative, just chatter. And how it's going to be shown at some Aussie film fest.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

M is $36.95 at amazon ffs!

I sold my DVD set to upgrade, but even at that price it's almost twice what I paid each for Repulsion + 8 1/2 + Wings of Desire about 2 months back...

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Spirit of the Beehive. Excellent. Unnerving. Needs a blu-ray.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Glad you liked it, I thought you would - best film from a child's perspective I've ever seen I think.

I'd expect Criterion would be working on it, great visuals. I have another film of his which I haven't watched http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105438/

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

The photography was great too. He was able to be a bit more creative with angles and levels to full effect.

Essay inside was pretty good. Read it cover to cover.

Only complaint is the shoddy sound.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Shoddy sound?? Can't say I ever noticed that, on any release from Criterion actually!

What was wrong with it? They usually do their own work on the soundtracks and source the best available...

The booklets are great, can't remember how many pages in that title - some have numerous essays, interviews etc.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

It was only coming through the centre channel and there was a fair amount of crackling coming through the speaker.

I do think it's just the recording rather than a poor transfer. Wouldn't think 1970's Spain would have the best equipment, especially with Franco still about.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

It was mono that's why - just one channel.

Yeah ok, prob can't remember - was a few years ago I watched it...

Gotta expect a few cracks and hisses, just like the video will contain some grain. I haven't seen an older film with a crystal clear soundtrack, but when u hear a terrible audio track that hasn't been cared for, u realise how clean the restored ones are in comparison.
    Last edited by kobeson; 22-04-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Mono?! Isnt that bad?!?! Will I get mono from riding the CriterionRail?!

Are there any other notable fantasies I should look out for?

Excited about del Toro getting the helms of The Hobbit. He's writing it too.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

The Third Man, M, Ordet, Godfather - all mono... if the DVD had 2.0 it was probably 2 speakers outputting the same channel. Dog Day Afternoon, you name it it was recorded in mono. I'm not sure when stereo and then multiple channel became more common, but most old films were and still are mono.

Most pre 70's films were mono, I'm surprised you weren't aware...

Criterion strive to present the film in the way the director originally intended - Original Aspect Ratio, original sound format.

Yeah, Jackson and Del Toro should make one hell of a combination for The Hobbit. You're a LOTR convert now r u? Weren't u not interested in the past?
    Last edited by kobeson; 22-04-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Lord of the Rings was all very nerdy. Wouldn't name it anywhere near my fave films. Worth seeing though. Damn good CGI for the year it was made.
    Any way, this isn't the place for Lord of the Rings
    Those trees were cool too. The art direction was my main favourite thing about them. If it didn't have the vivid world I probably wouldn't watch it.

Sounds like you have mono.

Going to see LetTROIn again tonight the right way

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

You brought them up!

There have been tonnes of visual interpretations, can't credit Jackson and co for the look of the characters really - but they did bring it all to life...

Foxtel's World Movies channel (do you have Fox?) is screening a cool festival. I have seen a few, and seen other films by most of the filmmakers, but there's still 11 titles I haven't seen - I have 5 of the 11 on DVD but haven't watched them:

25 FILMMAKERS YOU MUST SEE BEFORE YOU DIE

Yojimbo (Akira Kurosawa)

A samurai wreaks havoc on a village divided by rival gangs. Acclaimed director Akira Kurosawa's most popular film in his native Japan also inspired Clint Eastwood's 1964 hit, A Fistful of Dollars.

Grand Illusion (Jean Renoir)

Legendary filmmaker Jean Renoir garnered international recognition with his meditation into the minds of soldiers caught on opposing sides of World War I. Nominated for Best Picture at the 1937 Academy Awards«.

Nights Of Cabiria (Federico Fellini)

A profoundly affecting film about the misery of existence, following a prostitute as she searches for love and happiness in her unstable world. In 1957, it won director Federico Fellini his second Oscar« in a row for Best Foreign Film.

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie (Luis Bu˝uel)

When an army of bourgeois typed can't find anywhere to have dinner, director Luis Bu˝uel feasts on their irrational impulses as they slip in and out of each other's fantasies and compulsions. Won Best Foreign Film Oscar« in 1972.

Pierrot Le Fou (Jean-Luc Godard)

Jean-Luc Godard marks his transition into the next stage of his incredible film career in this cross-country odyssey starring Jean-Paul Belmondo and Anna Karina, Godard’s long-time collaborator and muse.

Rocco And His Brothers (Luchino Visconti)

In this story of a family of southern Italians who migrate to Milan hoping to find financial stability, legendary director Luchino Visconti revels in his returns to the neo-realist movement after a 20 year hiatus.

The Devil’s Backbone (Guillermo del Toro)

An orphan develops a relationship with the ghost of a child who once occupied his bedroom. A child’s empowerment fantasy mixed with an allegory about war and justice from the master of dark atmosphere, Guillermo del Toro.

The Red Circle (Jean-Pierre Melville)

Revered auteur Jean-Pierre Melville draws on the iconography of classic American gangster films and the codes of Japanese samurai movies in this enthralling heist movie starring the iconic Alain Delon and Yves Montand.

Life Is A Miracle (Emir Kusturica)

The controversial Emir Kusturica constructs a surrealist extravaganza when a father falls in love with a hostage used in the prisoner exchange swap for his son. Nominated for the Palme D’or at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival.

Volver (Pedro Almodovar)

Pedro Almodovar's enchanting tale of family, death and superstition won critical acclaim internationally, including Best Screenplay and Best Actress (Penelope Cruz) at Cannes International Film Festival 2006.

The Last Emperor (Bernardo Bertolucci)

Bernardo Bertolucci’s Academy Award«-winning epic story about China’s last emperor follows the personal tragedy of a man who was given everything as a child except the ability to adapt.

Ashes Of Time (Wong Kar Wai)

Assembling a who's who of New Wave Hong Kong action cinema, Wong Kar Wai's re-edited journey follows a desert-dwelling loner who hires a swordsman for contract killings.

The Last Metro (Franšois Truffaut)

Winner of 10 CÚsar Awards, celebrated filmmaker Franšois Truffaut explores the dynamics in the relationship between members of a theatre company up against a backdrop of hostility and fear.

Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog)

Awarded Best Director at the 1982 Cannes Film Festival for his grandiose cinematic vision, the legendary Werner Herzog directs a quest film where his hero’s expedition is scarcely madder than the filmmaker’s.

Time To Leave (Franšois Ozon)

Celebrated filmmaker Franšois Ozon skilfully negotiates the personal and isolating aspects of death in this provocative film about a Parisian fashion photographer who learns he has a terminal illness.

Pather Panchali (Satyajit Ray)

Nominated for the Palme d’Or at the 1956 Cannes Film Festival, India’s greatest ever director Satyajit Ray’s first feature depicts the impoverished childhood of the young Apu in the rural countryside of Bengal in the 1920s.Winner of eleven international prizes.

The City Of Lost Children (Jean-Pierre Jeunet)

Nominated for the Palme d’Or at the 1995 Cannes Film Festival, Jean-Pierre Jeunet creates a riveting look at the longings of cynical adults for the innocent dreams of childhood.

Journey To Italy (Roberto Rossellini)

Roberto Rossellini’s magnificent tale of cruelty and cynicism mixed with the renewal of love documents a young couple’s journey from England to Naples.

Wings Of Desire (Wim Wenders)

Wim Wenders’ much loved hymn to a divided Berlin follows a couple of angels who watch over the city, silently comforting its citizens in their hour of need. Captivated by a beautiful trapeze artist, one of the angels decides to trade his gentle life for the torturous emotions of human life.

Zentropa (Lars Von Trier)

This hallucinatory tale follows an American who becomes caught up in a plot to blow up a train for the woman he loves in 1945 Germany. Nominated for the Palme D’or at the 1991 Cannes Film Festival.

Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind (Hayao Miyazaki)

The first film both written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki is adapted from his manga series that depicts a Princesses plight to restore the bond between humanity and the earth, themes that would become staples in Miyazaki’s later films.

Les Diaboliques (Henri-Georges Clouzot)

Critically recognised as one of the greatest films from the 1950s, Henri-Georges Clouzot was considered a serious rival to Alfred Hitchcock for the title of ‘Master of Suspense’ after the release of this story of two women who join in an unlikely conspiracy to murder one man.

The Double Life Of Veronique (Krzysztof Kieslowski)

Winner of three prizes at the 1991 Cannes Film Festival and nominated for Best Foreign language Film at the 1992 Golden Globes, Krzysztof Kieslowski explores the notion of different paths in life for the same person.

Playtime (Jacques Tati)

The most daring and expensive work of Jacques Tati’s career took nine years to complete and links a young American tourist and a befuddled Frenchman as they repeatedly encounter one another in the course of a day.

Fanny And Alexander (Ingmar Bergman)

Winner of four Oscars« at the 1984 Academy Awards, Ingmar Bergman’s masterpiece is regarded as a largely autobiographical film that reflects his own beginnings in naturalism.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I have only seen one of those and nah I dont have Foxtel.

Playtime is something I'd get from Criterion on blu.

I've heard of about 20 of those listed but havent got around to seeing. Maybe not 20, still a few hahaha

Looks like the folks behind the channel have a good idea of what's good and not too pretentious.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

I would have bought Playtime had it been mastered from the 70mm print, but for some reason they did it from the 35mm format which means much less detail. It looks good still, but it could have looked much better. I have the DVD set, so haven't double dipped it. It is a remarkable film, and I know you will just love Tati's humour.

Some great titles in there - but only a few I would class as required viewing (and you have seen one already!):

Yojimbo (Akira Kurosawa)
    Grand Illusion (Jean Renoir)
    Nights Of Cabiria (Federico Fellini)
    The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie (Luis Bu˝uel)
    The Red Circle (Jean-Pierre Melville)
    The City Of Lost Children (Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
    Wings Of Desire (Wim Wenders)
    Playtime (Jacques Tati)
    Fanny And Alexander (Ingmar Bergman)

The others I have seen are a quality films still though.

World Movies is a great channel, they do show some stuff I'm not interested in, but they have always screened all the great films... I don't have that channel at the moment, but have in the past. During AFL season I switch to the sports package, and movies in the off season.
    Last edited by kobeson; 23-04-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Jean-Pierre Jeunet's catalogue is probably who's I'll dig into next. A couple of his films are readily available in Aus.

The Red Circle sounds good too.

Good thing is that Im at least aware of most of the directors.

Decided Im going to rewatch some of my own before I go out to buy anything more.

Is there such a thing as a French film without love?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

A Man Escaped is a good French film about solitude

Also Le Samourai comes to mind... but they are rare yes...

Le Samourai is Directed by Melville - all of his films are ultra cool, but Army of Shadows is my personal favoutrite. If you do check out Le Cercle Rouge, make sure you look for Le Samourai and Army of Shadows, oh and Bob Le Flambeur also is awesome.

Jeunet's films are all very idiosyncratic, you have an idea of what you will get from watching only one of them (you saw Amelie didn't you?). His latest Micmacs sounds great also, but yeah check out Delicatessen, City of Lost Children and A Very Long Engagement.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I've read that City of Lost Children is very similar to Amelie in style. Amelie would be a very hard film to dislike. Quirky to the max.

Did Melville take a lot of influence from Japan? Le Samourai is obvious and The Red Circle is claimed to be from a Buddha quote. Two more for the list.
    Last edited by MannequinScreams; 23-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Not sure about that, but probably so - Le Samourai is about a gangster who is a rogue, like a Ronin or Samurai tho yeah...

All of Jeunet's films are similar in style, Delicatessen is just as quirky and visual... AVE is also typical of his style, and Micmacs also seems to be - can't wait to see that one...

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Delicatessen is getting a Studiocanal blu if you haven't checked out any of the blu-ray sites today.

Along with The Red Circle and The Third Man(!!) in the same batch. Just hope they're good transfers.

Weird how they announce this just a week after The Third Man was mentioned a few pages ago and Melville and Jeunet a few days ago.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4512

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Saw this yeah, are they gonna be the releases we get here tho? Last time we got different releases to the US...

Some good titles tho!

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

We'll get the Optimum prints I reckon. Good that a studio picked up The Third Man quickly after Criterion lost the rights.

I've heard a few bad things about Studiocanal just using their old hd-dvd transfers with poor results. Any upgrade over the dvd will be a blessing in my book.

If only I waited a year to see all the classics then I could have seen them on blu first Only Citizen Kane to goooooo

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4526

Now that's announced just today about Citizen Kane!! This is getting weirld. Only a year's wait.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Go buy a lottery ticket, and give me a cut of it!!

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

DVDbeaver finally has a review of The White Ribbon up. Lucky I didn't wait around for a review.

Speaking of Europe, I have Saving Private Ryan to watch on blu hahaha