Thread: European Cinematography

AUF Friend - My Best Friend Girlfriends Sister (500+) kobeson's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Haven't seen any I don't think. Doesn't mean there aren't any, I'm sure I have seen about 2% of the films ever made
    Interested in joining --> START HERE

AUF Leader - The Insta-fractioner MannequinScreams's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

So that's about 96% of complete shit

I can't help the feeling that compared to friends I'm sort of an authority of what's good when it comes to films.

Pierrot le fou just arrived. I can stop feeling anxious about my first OOP title getting lost in the mail Expect my thoughts of it Saturday morning.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Here's something curious. At the bottom of Criterion cases you know how they list other studios sometimes like WB or MGM?

Studio Canal is at the bottom of PLF's case. And they have their own release.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Um no I hadn't noticed that on them no, but Studio Canal own plenty of Criterion films so it's no surprise, I'd say they'd own at least 50 or more. Third Man, Contempt, Le Cercle Rouge, Bob le Flambour, Marienbad.

There's a thread at the criterion forum titled 'Studio Canal snatches it all away' or something similar, have a look at it to see all of the SC films in the Criterion collection. Criterion buys rights to films, and releases them on home video. Studio Canal are one of the biggest film distributors in the world, it's only recently they have released their own versions - not sure if they did with DVDs or not. But that's why some of them have gone OOP, because the rights can expire.

Just like Fox, MGM, Paramount etc all own a lot of the films in the collection also, I'm sure some would have their logos too.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I was more getting at that my hope of stuff like Mulholland Drive will get a CC transfer

Merienbad came out on SC and CC blu around the same time.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

But you will find that the American SC releases differ from the European releases.Criterion obviously still gold the rights to an American release of Marienbad, but not Pierrot Le Fou.

Eraserhead was a rumoured Criterion release on DVD, but I doubt any of his films will join the collection. I don't think he suits the collection tbh, maybe Blue Velvet and Eraserhead, but the rest of his films are hit/miss imo.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I can't see why Broadcast News is in the collection. Looks like just another 80's comedy (even though I wanna buy it).

Some are more contemporary than important I'd say.

Blue Velvet didn't do anything for me. Just didn't click.

Is The American on your waiting list?

Roast Chicken Enforcer AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) LeFarns's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    LeFarns
    XBLA
    LeFarns

shhhh....

what language are you speaking?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Wanna discuss your favourite French films Farns??

@Otis - it's apparently good, but I'm not interested in BN either. Blue Velvet is probably Lynch's best film before he lost control imo - even he doesn't have an explanation for Mulholland Drive I remember he said in an interview. The American - was kinda interested, but not really no.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Year is almost over and I haven't heard of one film from overseas that's caught my attention

Dude ... where's my M16? JinglesEnid's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    JinglesEnid
    XBLA
    GhostJingles

Just bought Pierre Le Fou off eBay today, so looking forward to getting that in the mail.

Also, I can understand why Broadcast News is in the collection, just the same as why Armageddon and The Rock are. I'm still confused about the lack of animation though.

Anybody buying anything from the Barnes and Nobles Criterion sale? I might grab The Game, Rosemary's Baby and Anatomy of a Murder.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Kobeson has returned!!!

As a different person....

I have all of the Criterion BDs that interest me. The last two 50% off sales rounded off the collection.

Decryptions of an Enigma Machine

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

How much did you pay for Pierrot Le Fou? The Criterion BD?
    Went I found out it was going out of print I quickly bought a copy. I had early seen Le Mepris by this time so it was an easy decision. Think I might of seen Vivre sa Vie. Godard's early works are very easy to like.

Wish I bought The Third Man before I bought my region-free blu-ray player. Can't justify paying $150+ for a used movie
    I'm guessing you have a region-free player too?

Hell, I haven't seen less than half the stuff I bought from the last B&N sale

Dude ... where's my M16? JinglesEnid's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    JinglesEnid
    XBLA
    GhostJingles

Quote Originally Posted by MannequinScreams View Post

I have all of the Criterion BDs that interest me. The last two 50% off sales rounded off the collection.

How much did you pay for Pierrot Le Fou? The Criterion BD?
    Went I found out it was going out of print I quickly bought a copy. I had early seen Le Mepris by this time so it was an easy decision. Think I might of seen Vivre sa Vie. Godard's early works are very easy to like.

Wish I bought The Third Man before I bought my region-free blu-ray player. Can't justify paying $150+ for a used movie
    I'm guessing you have a region-free player too?

Hell, I haven't seen less than half the stuff I bought from the last B&N sale
    I keep adding to my collection even though I really don't need more. I've still got to get around to watching the ones I already have.

I paid $52 for Pierre and it came with Hausu on Bluray as well so pretty happy for that. I haven't seen it but figured I should have it. I managed to pick up a fair few OOP Criterions earlier this year at a DVD sale somebody was having since they were leaving the country. So I managed to pick up Tokyo Olympiad, the OOP Bunuel films, and a few other ones all up for about $200.

I bought the DVD of The Third Man when it went OOP, but really should have bought the Bluray at the time. I bought a Bluray player in the States last year when I was there, figured I needed one to watch Criterion Blurays. I only wanted it for The Thin Red Line and Blow Out, and it kind of snow balled from there.

AUF Full Member - Halfway Glory-Hound (5000+) Smajs's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Arggh, can't think of the name of this damn film that has been on my mind all day.

It was set in a dreary world of 9 to 5 weariness, everything is too sterile and perfect, the protagonist discovers some irregularities within the seemingly perfect exterior.

All I can recall is that he kills or witnesses the death of someone or himself but then the next day they are back at work as if it never happened, later on he visits an isolated town and starts to hear music from a wall, he breaks apart said wall and from inside comes a burst of colour and sound going against the grain of the staleness of the 'other' world, he is caught and bundled onto a bus and banished seemingly into purgatory.

Help an AUF brother out ha ...

EDIT _ Found it, finally a use for Google other than Brazilian midget milf... It is The Bothersome Man http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808185/

Good film.

Last edited by Smajs; 13-10-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

That sounds like a great movie. Added it to my IMDB watch list.

The image of the man wearing a baseball cap and suit looks like it's taken out of Paris, Texas when we first meet Harry Dean Stanton's character. It's an American film but still European, directed by the great Wim Wenders.

40secs in to see what I mean.

I have no clue when I last watched a European film. It's all Japanese and Korean these days.

Might of been Headhunters, a cool Swedish thriller with Jaime Lannister.

AUF Full Member - The 6th Dimension (6000+) Stonemull's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Stonemull
    XBLA
    not sure

last euro film I watched was

District B13 (2004)
    Set in the ghettos of Paris in 2010, an undercover cop and ex-thug try to infiltrate a gang in order to defuse a neutron bomb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414852/

has some good parkour at the start.

I still have the sequel to watch on Tivo.

before that was the euro version of 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' but thats not as good as the current english one.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Not as good. Much, much better

I always mix up District B13 with District 9

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Has been awhile since I have delved into some European...

Timecrimes from Spain was not bad can't post the trailer since it gives away too much, but it is an interesting take on the time travel genre.

Suspiria was fun.

Tale of Tales looked good, I thought it would be similar to Pan's Labyrinth. visually astute but I couldn't get into it.

Next up is Solaris.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Caught two French comedies.

The Dinner game and Tais-toi.

Dinner game was remade as Dinner for Schmucks but the original is far better, Jacques Villeret is perfect.

Tais-toi/Shut Up has Jean Reno and Gerard Depardieu, good fun, the early prison scenes are the highlight, damn destroyed his cell mates.