Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Oriental Celluloid - discussions about Asian films, and all things Japan =)

AUF Friend - My Best Friend Girlfriends Sister (500+) kobeson's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

There's a new movie in the works about Ip Man, directed by Wong Kar Wai (one of my favourite Chinese directors, In the Mood for Love, Days of Being Wild) and starring Tony Leung (great actor Red Cliff, Infernal Affairs) and Zhang Ziyi (great femal actor Crouching Tiger, Hero, House of Flying Daggers) will definitely keep an eye out for this one. It's gonna have the Bruce Lee character in it, does Ip Man feature Bruce?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462900/
    Interested in joining --> START HERE

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Quote Originally Posted by kobeson View Post
    There's a new movie in the works about Ip Man, directed by Wong Kar Wai (one of my favourite Chinese directors, In the Mood for Love, Days of Being Wild) and starring Tony Leung (great actor Red Cliff, Infernal Affairs) and Zhang Ziyi (great femal actor Crouching Tiger, Hero, House of Flying Daggers) will definitely keep an eye out for this one. It's gonna have the Bruce Lee character in it, does Ip Man feature Bruce?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462900/
    Hmmm interesting movie this one..... IP MAN was about IP MAN!!! whereas the Grand Master looks to be about the same character????

IP MAN was hugely successful and an awesome film, maybe these guys are trying to cash in on it. The IP MAN film didnt contain Bruce Lee, but it's sequel will have a young Bruce Lee. Actually come to think of it, maybe The Grand Master is the sequel to IP MAN?? Although the first one starred Donnie Yen and not Tony Leung.

EDIT - Zhang Ziyi was the evil asian chic in Rush Hour...
    Last edited by Chiips; 22-01-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Sigs credit to SmilingLocoOtis

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

AUF Friend - My Best Friend Girlfriends Sister (500+) Wijome's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    wijome

I havent seen much Asian cinema, but i have seen The Host and Battle Royale and they were amazing.
    Im more into anime, but english dubbed.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Knowing Waong Kar Wai's films, I don't think The Grand Master will be as martial artsy, and Tony Leung isn't a martial artist either... will be a different approach I think...

Wijome - I love The Host!! Battle Royale was pretty cool too, I'm never sure how popular Korean films are, but surprisingly quite a few have seen The Host, and it's great! Awesome film hey...

Great Balls! AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Chiips's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chiips

Maybe not.... Tony Leung broke his arm...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/...d-grand-master

Ok, so looks like The Grand Master (starring Tony Leung as Ip Man) and IP MAN 2 (starring Donnie Yen as Ip Man) are different films, both are about Ip Man and both will contain a young Bruce Lee. geez, why the double up... here's IP MAN 2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386932/
    Last edited by Chiips; 22-01-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Sigs credit to SmilingLocoOtis

Interested in joining
    --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Ah ok. Well Leung isn't a trained martial arts I think, but he does it in some of his films - he's known for his acting though.

Geez, wonder how they will go down then - the sequel by the same director as Ip Man, and WKW's take on it also...

AUF Full Member - GUN PRON PRONE (3000+) R3PLIKATE's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    R3PLIKATE

Crouching Tiger was an awesome Trilogy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Jack_West View Post
    Well it's been a hell of a ride with amazing highs *remembers the time when k-brad got his tax back + interest* and terrifying lows *ponders reps criminal past coming back to haunt him*

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chocito

@Choc - let me know what you think of Ponyo, I found it more of a kids film than the rest of Miyazaki's recent work so I was a little let down by it. Being a new dad you might get a kick out of it maybe?

Btw, did you have a son or a daughter? I bet he or she is very cute, being half aussie half Japanese! I have an american friend who's girlfriend is Japanese, and they had a daughter - she's very cute...
    Will check out Ponyo over the weekend I think. Saw the first 5 mins and yeah it does look a little kiddie. Might be due to the artistic style they have used in this one. They look like they were done in colored pencils.

I had a son. He's name is Ashley Yujun. The second name is my grand grand grandfathers name. Means helping people.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Quote Originally Posted by R3PLIKATE View Post
    Crouching Tiger was an awesome Trilogy!
    There were sequels?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Chocito View Post
    I had a son. He's name is Ashley Yujun. The second name is my grand grand grandfathers name. Means helping people.

Congratulations mate!!!
    I like the name too, keeping tradition in there is great - and I was right he's a cute little fella!!

One of my best mates had a boy on Monday, for my bunch of friends it's the first child, but 3 others are pregnant it's all beginning now!! I'm sure we won't be that far behind, next 18 months wanna hopefully have our fitst.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

I have my top 25 Japanese films in my first post, with imdb and youtube links.

I also have my top 30-odd Asian films other than Japanese - I have a softspot for Japanese films so I have watched far more than any other Asian country.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

I downloaded a new Korean film from Joon-ho Bong the director of the brilliant Memories of Murder and The Host.

It's called Madeo (Mother) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_(2009_film) http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1216496/

Downloaded a 720p BRD rip, gonna watch it tonight

Will no doubt be getting it on Blu-Ray, if it is good as it is said to be. I have The Host on Blu, and I wanna get Memories of Murder also.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    R3PLIKATE

There were sequels?!?
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Hero
    House of Flying Daggers

Were a trilogy. But I use that word lightly becasue the films were on loosely connected to each other.
    Well it's been a hell of a ride with amazing highs *remembers the time when k-brad got his tax back + interest* and terrifying lows *ponders reps criminal past coming back to haunt him*

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Oh right, I googled it it's actually Curse of the Golden Flower instead of Hero but wtf? I never knew that, I don't see why they are a trilogy other than they are period films?!? None of the characters are linked, were they originally written as a trilogy or something?!?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    R3PLIKATE

SORRY. I thought hero was out of place, knew it was a different one.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    R3PLIKATE

My apologies. They aren't sequels at all. Someone else told me that, sorry for passing on the misinformation.

But Hero, House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden Flower are all by the same Director; whilst those three and Crouching Tiger are all a genre called 'wuxia'

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

No probs, I was wondering how they were lonked - you weren't wrong really tho as they have been released in a box as a trilogy, as I posted.

Hero, Flying Daggers and Golden Flower are kind of referred to as a costume trilogy - all from Zhang Yimou, I love all 3 of them. Crouching Tiger was Ang Lee, and a few years before them all. CTHD is more similar to a lot of past HK martial arts period films, but Yimou's are more about the eye candy.

AUF Leader & Founder AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Snickersma's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Has anyone seen Brotherhood of War ?? .. (Kang JeGyu) .. a Korean war film about the war between South and North Korea.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386064/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taegukgi_(film) : -

According to the numbers at Box Office Mojo, Taegukgi earned $1.1 million in the United States playing in limited release. It earned a further $68.7 million worldwide to finish as the 75th highest grossing film in the world in 2004. In addition to its record-breaking reception in South Korea, the film has also achieved positive responses abroad. It currently holds a fresh rating of 80 percent at Rotten Tomatoes. Most positive reviews cite its unflinching portrayal of war and praise it for showing the brutality of both the North and South Korean armies. -

Its known for its very graphic depiction of war and massive scale battles Released on Eastern Eye (love that Co.)

Ive just got it out on DVD - will watch it soon and report back

Super Moderator AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) RayTraced's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    RayTraced

does this thread include anime?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

@Snicks - check my list of non japanese films, it's #22

@ray - of course mate! Anything from any asian countries....

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    wijome

I am the biggest pokemon fan, ive watched like every episode i can online.
    And NARUTO, that is my all time favourite anime, i havent seen every season yet, and im waiting for Naruto: Shippuden to be dubbed.
    Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm for PS3, best fighting game ive ever owned and played, if only it had online capabilities

AUF Leader & Founder AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Snickersma's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

@Snicks - check my list of non japanese films, it's #22
    OH! I should have done that first

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    R3PLIKATE

Quote Originally Posted by Wijome View Post
    I am the biggest pokemon fan, ive watched like every episode i can online.
    And NARUTO, that is my all time favourite anime, i havent seen every season yet, and im waiting for Naruto: Shippuden to be dubbed.
    Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm for PS3, best fighting game ive ever owned and played, if only it had online capabilities
    Dubbed? Seriously?

Subbed is soooooooooo much better. English voice actors usually fail so hard. Naruto is one such example. Bleach did a good job though, and I'll say Death Note as well.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    wijome

gtfo, naruto dubbing is sick, i couldnt watch it with subs, takes away from the action side of things.
    Rock Lee ftw.

AUF Leader - The Insta-fractioner MannequinScreams's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Ergo Proxy is a bloody great anime. Loved the untypical anime art-direction, its more of a dark-Miyazaki world.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Whilst I agree that animation requires eyes glued on the pretty pictures constantly, I still take a sub over a dub any day of the week... I can't stand dub tracks...

The worst dub I ever heard was for John Woo's The Killer on VHS - even the cat was dubbed by a human voice going "miaaaoowwww" that was the last dub I watched I think...

I'm sure they're not all that bad, but I like original voices tho...

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Chocito

Sub is the way to go I think. Well if it's a Japanese movie especially. Although I do find myself reading the subs anyway!

I know some Dub can be awful but have seen some dodgy subs as well. Seen one where they even skipped few dialogues! Like they've gone "too hard to translate, skip it."

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Haha that would suck! Missing entire dialogues!!

Yeah, sometimes subs are done by fans of the film also, and the translations are bad - on downloads I mean.

I have always wanted to become fluent in a language (prop Japanese) but am too lazy. I wanna be able to watch a foreign language film without subs, would be awesome. Especially Japanese, so then all anime and films I could just take in the pictures

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    R3PLIKATE

I really don't think subs are an issue. You always have the option to pause or rewind so you can easily go back to something if you miss; which I occaisonally do because sometimes long sentences aren't subbed for long enough to read and watch.

Plus I read very quickly so distraction is not really an issue.

AUF Leader - The Insta-fractioner MannequinScreams's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Quote Originally Posted by Chocito View Post
    Sub is the way to go I think. Well if it's a Japanese movie especially. Although I do find myself reading the subs anyway!

I know some Dub can be awful but have seen some dodgy subs as well. Seen one where they even skipped few dialogues! Like they've gone "too hard to translate, skip it."
    English lacks words for some of Japans folklore doesnt it?

As great as English is it doesnt have a word for everything lol And plus the grammar is far different from most other languages.

R3P - I HATE rewinding anything to see something again. I must be desperate to know what happened to do it.

Super Moderator AUF Full Member - The Post Whore of Babble-Ion (4000+) RayTraced's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    RayTraced

I usaully hate having to read subs. Im with W in this one. it takes away from the action if ur watching an action type film and any thing else u gotta keep looking at to enjoy.

I can get over most average voice dubbing so its no big deal for me. plus just cause u dont understand a langauge dosnt automatically make it good voice acting. I understand the logic on why u would wanna listen to words u dont understand.