AUF Leader - The Insta-fractioner MannequinScreams's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Default Re: Kobesons and Otis' Movie thoughts

It's definitely something I wanna see. I have a thing about needing the real copy with case and all lol

Im still in awe from The Cowboy scene of MD. Its up there with the NCFOM coin toss.

For some odd reason the lesbian theme in MD doesn't make the movie any better, I see it as a good plot device to tie the two together. Im probably looking gay but its too messed up of a film to focus on that aspect.

Also finally saw Apocalypse Now. Wow. I had never seen a slaughter of an animal before so I was left in a cold sweat lol The scene was real and I knew it beforehand so it had a bigger impact.

AUF Friend - My Best Friend Girlfriends Sister (500+) discobreakfast's Avatar
    PSN
    discobreakfast

guys guys guys....what about Pumping Iron with Arnie

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I just ordered Jacob's Ladder off CD-WOW, cant wait and hope it gets here before the week is over. $9.99 isnt a bad price, same amount I paid for MD which I got from them too.

I have a list of movies Im gonna try to get in the next couple weeks

-Punch-Drunk Love. Saw the end of this last night. It was really something else and Im looking forward to seeing it again.
    -Lost Highway. Obvious reasons.
    -Being John Malkovich. This one is gonna be a bit tricky hunting down I think. The concept of it is thoroughly fascinating. Havent seen it before.
    -Stir Of Echoes. I was told Its good by a friend so Im gonna get it to watch together. Ran out of Will Farrell movies to watch so we've gone onto others lol
    -The Truman Show. Just incase I dont see ya, "good afternoon, good evening and goodnight".

AUF Full Member - Capable of Melting Worlds (7000+) CheekyChimpanzee's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    CheekyChimpanzee
    XBLA
    Chimp Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by discobreakfast
    guys guys guys....what about Pumping Iron with Arnie

LOL cult epic!!!

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Might have to look into it. Can only imagine the guy/girl at the counter when I hand it to them lol

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    CheekyChimpanzee
    XBLA
    Chimp Daddy

ahahahhaa.. it's worth watching for teh scene where he carries on about being pumped up is like "cumming" and the scene where he is smoking a spliff in the Arnold is Numero Uno tee.

fuck.. makes you feel like a midget dwarf.. but gold to view. The freaks.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I ordered Jacobs Ladder off CD-WOW and for about 5 days now the order status has been "pre-release". Any idea what this could mean?

AUF Leader & Founder AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Snickersma's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

I remember as an 16 year old I took in Jacob's Ladder by myslef one day when i was on holiday by myself coz all my mates had deserted me... big mistake.. one freaky film :Hangman:

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I saw the start of it late one Saturday night, didnt wanna stay up all night listening out for bumps of the night so I turned off my TV lol

Im shocked that all of my friend that are meant to be horror fans have never heard of it.

AUF Leader & Founder AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) Snickersma's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

Its a cult classic for sure. I still remember today sitting in the theatre watching it b/c it scared the living shit out of me.

Only one i can compare would have been in about grade 6 me and a mate took 2 girls to see An American Werewolf in London - an M rated film which they let us 11 year old in to !! The girls got so scared we had to take them out half time!! haha!!

..I wasnt scared tho... really!! :retard:

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Thats a bit weird, the first horror I remember watching is American Werewolf in Paris. I saw down and watched it with my older brother.

I also was freaked out by the bad guy in Who Framed Roger Rabbit when he revealed himself.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Snickersma (MW2)

the London version was far scarier dude believe me!! Classic movie if youve never seen it - groundbreaking effects for its time! John Landis I believe!! :smirk:

AUF Leader (Retired) AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) YNWA01's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

^^^ May have had something to do with it making me cack my pants as a young 'un...

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    CheekyChimpanzee
    XBLA
    Chimp Daddy

i am almost embarrassed to write this but i vaguely remember being freaked out by "the black cauldron" when i was a teeny tacker.. no movie has really scared me since.

i know it is an animation, but i was 5 years old at the time of seeing it on the big screen. it had evil shit in it i think... can't really remember.

AUF Full Member - Paid in FULL! (1000+) jdFRANK's Avatar
    Clan
    -
    PSN
    jd_FRANK

sooky sooky la la

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Be lookin' good, Warriors. All the way back to Coney. Ya hear me, babies? Good. Real good. Adios.

AUF Friend - My Best Friend Girlfriends Sister (500+) kobeson's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

lol @ black cauldron slylake... you pussy... :ninja:

yeah, american werewolf in london is a cool flick, some awesome old school effects there...

I found my Jacob's Ladder dvd the other day - couldn't find it for the past 18 months or more, found it in a cupboard... have to watch it again, great flick...

the following are my mini-reviews of the "oscar contenders" for 08/09

Slumdog Millionaire - 10/10 absolutely wonderful film from one of the more interesting film-makers alive Danny Boyle. Trainspotting to The Beach to 28 Days Later to Millions to Sunshine to Slumdog. There is no genre he can't do!!
    This film has everything, and it is the best picture for the year imo, and it is one I look forward to re-watching on Blu-Ray. Just go and see this film, you will not be disappointed.

Revolutionary Road - 9.5/10 the re-pairing of Di Caprio and Winslet in Sam Mendes's (Winslet's husband) latest offering, which features a tour de force from both lead actors... Leonardo is one of my favourite actors over the past 2-3 years, he is getting better with each role it seems... this is a straight forward tale of man and wife, set in early-mid 1900's, and I found it completely engrossing from start to finish. Powerfull stuff.

Seven Pounds - 9/10 I really liked this film, in a similar vein to The Pursuit of Happyness. some found it a little hard to swallow, but I found it irresistable to not be touched by the film emotionally.

The Wrestler - 9/10 one one hand, I really loved this film... superb acting (as according to the buzz) and a great story, but on the other hand it didn't really feel like anything I hadn't seen before... director Aronofsky (Requiem For a Dream, The Fountain) started his career with a bang (Requiem), then invested years and some 28 million of his own dollars into a film which Brad Pitt pulled out on late, and ended up being a post production mess (The Fountain) really needed a safe film to resurrect his career, and this is it... it's a lot better than my words make out, but I felt a little disappointed overall, despite the powerhouse acting from Rourke (who was also great in Sin City). It's a film I was expecting near perfection from, and it was almost kinda near perfection. Brilliant performance from Rourke, and Marisa Tomei is great also.

Curious Case of Benny Button - 9/10 I had been looking forward to this one for ages now, and like The Wrestler, I found it great if not unoriginal... apart from the "gimmick" of the ageing backwards, I found it was straight forward, and reminded me too much of Gump (which I hate). in saying that, it was probably on par with Slumdog as far as direction goes, and was beautiful to look at, it just left me a tad disappointed. again, almost kinda near perfection.

Gran Torino - 8.5/10 not up for best picture, and far from perfect, this is an enjoyable film from Clint Eastwood (how old is he? and he directed 2 films in 2008!!). fans of Clint will love it, and it's an interesting film in his career. it's not best picture material, but it's one of the good films from 2008/2009.

looking forward to watching Milk and Frost/Nixon next. And the film I am looking anticipating the most is Doubt starring the always brilliant Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep.
    Interested in joining --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Seven Pounds sounds like something I need to watch. I loved Pursuit, Will Smith proved to me he has depth as an actor.

Sad to hear off you Benjamin Button is lacking. I've tried so many times to see this movie but things keep getting in the way and dont wanna go to the cinemas by myself.

I found out today that CDWOW is having trouble getting Jacobs Ladder off their distributor so Im gonna have to wait a while longer to get it.

You should be proud Kobes that I like a Paul Thomas Anderson film, Punch-Drunk Love.

AUF Leader (Retired) AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) YNWA01's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

So they have a cinema on the cruise ship? You seem to have done nothing else for the last few weeks but watch movies. How about the all day buffet? That must take up some time, that and taking Klaz for his daily walk to the bridge to "see" the captain.

LOL. Great stuff dude. Can't get excited by any of the above, well, enough to see them at the cinema anyway. Will track them all down on DVD for a rental though.

AUF Friend - 400 Bottles of Beer on the Wall (400+)

I am intrigued with The Wrestler,but those mini reviews have peaked my interest..oh,oh yeah it is peaked down boy,i'll have to put a full day in and catch them all at once,reading Kobe's reviews i imagined him doing a review show on some community access tv station lol,seriously though he should maybe do some podcast reviews and now welcome to The Film Factor with kobeson,sponsored by AUF. :drinkers:
    The Blade.......

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    CheekyChimpanzee
    XBLA
    Chimp Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by OtisbDriftwood
    Seven Pounds sounds like something I need to watch. I loved Pursuit, Will Smith proved to me he has depth as an actor.
    I always thought will smith was a funny fucker.. his roles in MIBs, BadBoys, etc etc were all good fun, heaps of attitude etc... and i enjoyed it.

BUT, i truly saw his depth of acting in ALI. He did it brilliantly. One of the best reviewing comments of his acting was Ali's daughter who said that after a few minutes of watching the movie, she forgot that she wasn't actually watching her dad.

ALI is one of those movies that got hot/cold reviews. Personally, i think anyone who knows a bit about ali, especially those who have watched the (brilliant) documentary "when we were kings" would understand, follow and enjoy ali.
    For those who haven't seen WWWKings, the story seemed to have holes that limited their understanding.

Actually, for those who haven't seen that doco, i couldn't recommend a doco more highly: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118147/

AUF Friend - My Best Friend Girlfriends Sister (500+) discobreakfast's Avatar
    PSN
    discobreakfast

haha yeah Sly, the talk about "cumming" in Pumping Iron is gold, his face is priceless....so happy haha

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Kobes is prowling the forums. It is important that we all bathe in his thoughts about movies.

Whats an aussie site other than ezydvd and cdwow with cheap buys and a large selection?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

:unibrow:

lol

um, as far as online buying goes, ezydvd.com.au is probably the biggest range, but try the search function at dvdplaza.com.au if you wanna compare prices between a few stores

http://dvdplaza.com.au/pricecrawler/?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Thanks Kobeson. Ended up going with EzyDVD.

Bought Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 1 to see if I like the series or not. I
    Im not a huge fan or even a small fan of anime. I tend to like the American styled animation. I couldnt watch a huge amout of Japanese anime just because thats what it is. I'll like one show and thats it. Spawn: The Animated Series is something in that style that I'll always like the most. I've never seen a better use of shadowing.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

Quote Originally Posted by YNWA01
    So they have a cinema on the cruise ship? You seem to have done nothing else for the last few weeks but watch movies. How about the all day buffet? That must take up some time, that and taking Klaz for his daily walk to the bridge to "see" the captain.

LOL. Great stuff dude. Can't get excited by any of the above, well, enough to see them at the cinema anyway. Will track them all down on DVD for a rental though.
    yeah, I watched a few movies over the holidays... not many of them legally tho, but will buy the Blu-Rays of most of them anyway, so nobody is being ripped off by me imo...

you can't get excited about this slew of oscar hopefulls? not enough Jason Statham for ya?!? lol

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

LOL. Yeah, Jase is da' man.. word!!! I'm pretty limited on cinema trips these days so it has to be a movie to really peak my interest for me to make the effort. Oscar bait means bugger all to me anyways. Sh*t, they gave one to 'Ordinary People' the same year as 'Raging Bull' was out, and WTF won the year 'Goodfellas' was around? Some cr*p I suspect. Go figure... All the popcorn munchers, non stop inane chat and mobile phone idiots put me off these days too.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

fark yeah, it can be so frustrating in the cinema, I agree... another reason why downloading is not a bad thing, you can enjoy the film more

yeah, I also agree about "oscar bait" but there are some good ones in this batch - and I watched Frost/Nixon last night, was great... and this time of year is the best time for films, and the reason is the lead up to the oscars - hence the coinciding late release dates...

well, as long as ppl see Slumdog Millionaire (one way or another) I am happy...

speaking of Statham, you have seen Bank Job right? did we chat about that one already?!?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

Quote Originally Posted by kobeson
    speaking of Statham, you have seen Bank Job right? did we chat about that one already?!?
    Yes.

Yes.

Loved it.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Snatch was another purchase I made today.

Stathem was really good in it along with Brad Pitt as one-punch-Mickey. I surely hope Guy Ritchie makes another movie with the feel of this and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Out all of the movies with seemingly separate storylines joining at the end, this must be the most well done.