AUF Leader - The Insta-fractioner MannequinScreams's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Default Re: Kobesons and Otis' Movie thoughts

Is that why you're not here as much, your PC died?

Every Christmas I have to watch The Santa Claus and Home Alone 1. Santa Claus is starting to wear thin, Home Alone will always be a classic. The Soundtrack and overall Christmas spirit makes me feel all warm inside hahaha

Havent been able to find Life of Brian on Blu any where. Eric Idle and John Cleese would have to be my favourite Pythons. The self defense against fresh fruit, oh man, "A banana! We havent done a banana have we!?"

AUF Friend - My Best Friend Girlfriends Sister (500+) kobeson's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    kobeson
    XBLA
    XBOXEATZCOX

nah, I've moved out into an office with work, whereas before I was working from home and had nobody over my shoulder...

my PC from home is now in the office, and my mac - I already have 2 computers, but now have nothing at home (apart from this laptop of my mate's for the time being).

yeah, Cleese is the king - the fresh fruit sketch is classic... I love Idle and Palin equally second, and then Jones & Chapman next... Gilliam was the weak link in the performances, but his imagination is the greatest of them all imo...

"A pointed stick?!?"

nobody goes as troppo as John Cleese does!!!
    Interested in joining --> START HERE

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

I quite like the Coen brothers: really enjoyed Fargo, the Big Lebowski, and Burn After Reading. I don't cut them any slack on No Country For Old Men's ending though just because it's based on a novel; they're responsible for the adaptation. Sometimes what works in print doesn't work in film. For example, take the Lord of the Rings movies: they cut out the Tom Bombadil section of the story, because there was no way in hell that could ever work in film.

On the subject of Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, I absolutely pissed myself laughing at both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Looking forward to their next project, whatever that might be. have you guys seen their TV show Spaced? It was on ABC2 for a little while, it was very good as well.
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I just noticed then that Spaced is on ABC2 tonight at 10. Im gonna try so hard to catch it. Never seen it before.

The scene where Shawn is looking out the mail slot and then looks a little to the side was damn funny. I love Romero's films so it was a very natural admiration for Simon Pegg's faithful homage.

I've noticed the best films are based of some form of literature.

Loved Fierce Creatues, havent seen A Fish called Wanda though.

Gonna bring up television, did anyone ever see the short lived The Invisible Man from a few years back?

AUF Leader (Retired) AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) YNWA01's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

Ok, busy ass day at work, so some late thoughts on the past page or so's discussions..

NCFOM - Well, I'm about the world's biggest Cormac McCarthy fan (he's the author of NCFOM). The book's ending is pretty much how they ran it in the film with a few minor differences. The first time I read it I was lost at the point Moss died, I just didn't get it and had to go back and re-read it a few times to make sense of it. I guess (as Kobes highlighted) it's really trying to paint a very honest picture of crime and violence in modern society, in that the hero (if such ppl exist) very rarely succeed "Hollywood style" in life, and infact bad things happen to good people (like his wife).. fate will play its part. Chirguh's relentless pursuit of Moss has an air of inevitability about it from the get go, you know he shouldn't take the cash, that it will end badly (he is acutely aware of this too calling it a dumb thing to do), and that much seemed pretty clear to me from the start. Plus, having read all his previous novels he's hardly renowned for upbeat endings, quite the opposite. McCarthy is very brutal and unforgiving a writer, he revisits the themes of fate and death and man's cruelty to man in most of his previous works too, he only seems to like animals really! It would be great if he would talk about his work more to give more insights, but much like David Lynch, he's very evasive (borderline reclusive infact) and rarely discusses his novels (but did so for "The Road" on Oprah a year or two ago). So we're just be left to interpret his works as best we can, which is how all good writing should be. Stiffy's point about changing the book to match the cinematic medium has merit, but to be honest, would it have been a better film if it had followed a more typical Hollywood thriller movie ending and conclusion? I honestly don't believe so, and fans of his writing (like me) would have felt terribly short changed.

I highly recommend "The Road" if you want a short sharp dose of CM's writing. Its only a couple of hundred pages long and it totally blew me away, read it in about 3 days flat. The movie adaptation is due out next year, directed by John Hillcoat who did the very impressive Aussie flick "The Proposition" a couple of years back. Go check the film if the book is too much like hard work, but you'll be missing a treat.

The Coens have been an enigma all their career, but thats their game, they rarely make anything safe or ordinary or dull. I love "Miller's Crossing" and would implore anyone to give it more than one watch before judging it. It has a complex, overly dense plot first time out, and can be a little OTT but as with many good gangster flicks the story unravels beautufully on repeated viewings and the performances start to make better sense too. This was the Coen movie that got me hooked on them. To rate them quickly I'd say (best top, worst bottom)...

1998 The Big Lebowski
    1996 Fargo
    1990 Miller's Crossing
    2007 No Country for Old Men
    2001 The Man Who Wasn't There
    1984 * * * Blood Simple
    1991 Barton Fink
    1987 Raising Arizona
    1994 The Hudsucker Proxy
    2000 O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    2003 Intolerable Cruelty
    2004 The Ladykillers

Yet to see... Burn After Reading

As for the rest of the mooooovies mentioned...

Kevin Smith's work is totally overated, hate all of his films that I've seen (about 3 in all I think, LOL, that was enough!).

SPACED is genius, hope to get the series box set for Christmas if released in Aus. Shaun and Hot Fuzz pretty much own all other comedies of recent years for me too. I love those guys.

Adam Sandler = Complete Cnut. Thats all I have to say on the matter.

Monty Python movies are funny stuff, but for me, only if you are in the mood for their surreal brand of humour. I find an insane amount of weed helps. Biggus Dickus scene still makes me cry with LOL when I watch it. Remember being taken to "Time Bandits" as a young kid by my bro, all I can say is (and was) ... WTF!!??? Not an easy film for a young guy used to Start Wars to cope with!!! Still can't watch it to this day. Just too tripped out for me on some level, but I'm no Gilliam fan either TBH.

Saw Ong Bak (??) on Fox a few months back, was a crazy film, but pretty awesome fight scenes fo'sure. Not much of a martial arts movie fan otherwise but can enjoy some Bruce Lee from time to time. He was stone cold the coolest dude ever!!! Go check this Nokia ad mo'fos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGQ72bre30

Ok, think I covered most stuff. Don't bother trying to find out about Lynch's plots Otis, thats not really the point of his films. Trust me on that. * *

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

That was a very impressive read, keep it up YN!

Im gonna treat Lynch's movies like I did with 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'll talk to people about it but I dont wanna know their thoughts on what its exactly about. I did that with Donnie Darko and now I have a tainted sense of a movie that is pretty cool.

It appears I have a few guilty pleasure movies lol

It's a bit late so I cant add anything really, might give it a go tomorrow.

AUF Full Member - Capable of Melting Worlds (7000+) CheekyChimpanzee's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    CheekyChimpanzee
    XBLA
    Chimp Daddy

Coen Brothers and Farrelly Brothers. *

You can't go wrong.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Just to clarify, my problem with the ending of No Country for Old Men wasn't that it was bleak. It was that the very last scene served absolutely no purpose. If you look at the previous scene, you already have a very bleak ending.

The final scene may have worked in the novel because it might have portrayed some thoughts of the characters that were interesting. But in film you don't get thoughts, only actions and words. And the actions and words didn't contribute anything new or meaningful. IMHO. Instead, it took me totally out of the film. When I should have been reflecting on the characters and events of the movie, I was instead reflecting on the choice of the directors, since that scene seemed to be not about the characters and events, but about me as a viewer..

It's funny but that one scene just got under my skin so much that it ruined the whole film for me. *

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Jim Carey?

AUF Leader (Retired) AUF Full Member - Ten F*&$#%kin Thousand Muthas!! (10,000+) YNWA01's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

Yeah, I hear you Stiffy. The scene with the Sheriff and his old wheelchair bound pal does shift the film (and book) into places that dulls the intensity of what came before, its really a slightly ponderous and somewhat philosophical conclusion to a smart but straightforward thriller before that point. I'll not make any excuses for it but I know it certainly tainted the experience for lots of viewers. Maybe on seeing it a few times this will feel less so? I certainly intend to watch it again soon to review it all again in my own mind and see how it differs from the structure of the book (which it does and I think this does change things slightly too in the way it unfolds).

But for me the scene is there to surmise Bell's feelings on the whole mess that has taken place, plus having gone looking for someone who can help him come to terms with it, that someone just confirms what has happened has been happening for years and that the nature of evil in the world is a constant, it endures and normally outsmarts the good. Bit of a downer really!! LOL. Its also the point where the Sheriff truly gives up on his life's work as a law enforcer, in the face of something he knows he can never conquer, or even, come to terms with - Chigurh is the ultimate badass remember - but Bell has seen enough other bad things (several are mentioned in the book and film) to have been finally beaten by it. The dream stuff I find harder to "interpret" but then dreams rarely make much sense, so I guess that is there for tone as much as meaning.

The delivery of the scene, a two-hander in ramshackle house in the wilderness, didn't really have the feel of what went before (thrilling intensity and tragedy) and it basically fell flat for a lot of people. Again, not sure whether it would have been a better film without it, maybe hit pause before it kicks in and see if that helps!!! I think I'll reserve judgement until I've watched (and read) it again, and get back to you then!

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I read somewhere that theres a part in the book that didnt end up fully playing out in the film. The part we saw was Chigurh shooting at the bird on the bridge and missing. In the book Ball finds a bird dead, and this is exactly how it turned out for Moss.

I really like that connection, maybe I should read the book. I did that with the the Hitchhiker series, reading them after the film. I became hard for me trying to divide the mediums.

Out of all movies I've seen that havent traversed into horror territory, Anton Chigurh unnerves me the most.

I think I'll give this a watch this week some time.

Does the movie end with the dream speech or the car crash? I think I've been thinking of the wrong thing this whole time with what Stiffy has been talking about. *:Hangman:

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

...with the conversation and the dream recollection (as I recall) the crash precedes this (not so in the book but I may be getting confused)... going to watch again soon too! LOL

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

I went back and read AStiffBreeze original post about it and it was about the crash. If it was about the dream recollection then I was about to get ready to defend the Hell of it lol. I cant remember all the details of his dream, what I do remember is that it left me with a strong lingering feeling from what he said and the sadness in his face. Tommy Lee Jones has got to be one of my favourite actors. He's done some crap movies but he's done some classics too eg. The Fugitive. Men In Black may not be for everyone but he did a great job on his role as K in my opinion.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeah guys, I meant the car crash. If the dream sequence came after that then sorry if I confused anyone. I was only upset with the car crash scene. The dream scene wasn't great but Tommy's character's journey needed an ending so fair enough.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Fair enough. Some movies just aren't for everyone.

Im happy you went into detail of why you didnt like it. Better than saying "It sucks!" then off you went.

Mind you, if my friends ask me if I like something that I dont I reply it sucks lol

-Watching No Country now-

AUF Full Member - Capable of Melting Worlds (7000+) CheekyChimpanzee's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    CheekyChimpanzee
    XBLA
    Chimp Daddy

- jealous now -

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

I guess the reason I got so worked up is because I loved the rest of the movie.

Has anyone watched the Band of Brothers blu-rays yet? I bought the damn things last week but haven't had a chance to sit down and watch them yet, and I'm keen to hear what people think of the picture quality.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

It ends with the dream recollection.

With my 4th(?) viewing it definitely flows better.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

Just re-watched NCFOM this week via my iPhone on trips to and from work. And 2nd time out this movie was better than the first for me. So much I saw and heard this time I didn't really take on board the first time, which made more sense both thematically and from a story POV. Some observations..

In the book the chick he meets near his end is much more involved in the story, she is actually a hitchhiker and he strikes up a relationship (only plutonic) that ultimately effects his wife's view of him (makes him out to have cheated on her) when Chigurh tells her about it near her end. For the sake if the film its better the way the Coens did it, than the more protracted way the book did (IMO).

Lots of conjecture about whether Chigurh is behind the door when Bell revisits the scene of Moss' death, it seems possible the way the Coens filmed it (again different to the book, where he is in a car watching the motel rather than in a room). But NO WAY I say to those who think he's behind the door, when Bell opens the door it swings back and he would have noticed the impact if a man had been behind it, it would have felt "wrong", I'm sure of that. Chigurh is in the room next door which is also covered by police tape - but why is he there? Moss goes back to the motel after his cop mate tells the story of how Chigurh returned to the scene of an earlier crime to finish the job and I think this drives Bell to revisit the motel too, just in case... not sure why he is located in the adjacent room though or for what purpose (maybe looking *for the money again??? Hmmmm)

The ending plays out like this... (BEWARE MAJOR SPOILERS!!!)

Moss dies at the motel at the hands of the Mexicans or Chigurh (it's unlcear which)..

After visiting the scene of the crime Bell meets a local cop mate for late night coffee and chat.

Bell revisits motel and seems relieved Chigurh is not there, he decides to quit the job at this point (IMO).

Moss visits his whellechair bound mate in the outback and discusses life and the bad things in an effort to get some reasoning for his own peace of mind, his mate helps, sort of....

Chigurh confronts Moss' wife (and kills her I presume as he checks the soles of his feet oin the way out of the house.. for traces of blood perhaps?).

Chigurh has his car accident, escapes and echoes Moss near death clothes purchase on the Mexican border bridge earlier in the film - this conveys some sense of the two men sharing some duality, but the bad overcomes the good (Moss has ultimately died at the hands of evil) and we have to accept that Chigurh "got away" which is annoying as we want to see him revenged!!!

Bell talks to his wife about his perplexing dream that involves his dad and in turn provides a philosophical but ambiguous ending to the film (I need to re-watch his monologue and see if it makes moe sense 3rd time out!!! LOL)

But all in all I think this works very, very well, and better the second time out fo'sho. There are no easy answers or comforting resolutions to the main characters fate. The writers and filmmakers point seems to simply be that the world is bad place, and nothing will change that, we're on a downhill slope and have been for all the years the men can recall and nothing looks like it can arrest the decline, much like nothing could stop Chigurh himself (which has a nice sense of completeness to it). Pessimistic though... to say the least.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

If you focused on the reflection of the metal cylinder that goes through the door, its possible to see Bell's reflection from Chigurh's view. And there looks like there would be a triangle shape if the door was fully open allowing for a space for Chirgurh to fit in. There also could be a door stop that was already there or put in to create a little extra room.

Once Bell is in the room we see that the vent cover has been taken off and there were a few screws and a coin laying on the floor.

And none of the main characters come face to face so this gives me reason to believe it was definitely the Mexicans who killed Moss.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

One thing I never understood was why the Mexicans left in such a hurry. Moss was dead, and the money hadn't yet been recovered.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

I took it as the hit went "tits up" as Moss put up a pretty good fight, so they legged it (and gave up on the money as it wasn't there) - seems plausible.

But on Otis' points I still disagree!!! LOL.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Well I have something you should agree on.

I watched Mulholland Drive today and I gotta say, what the fuck!!!!

Dont tell me your take though, thats not the point.

Finally found Apocalypse Now today too, gonna give that a watch before the weeks over.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by YNWA01\";p=\"65085
    I took it as the hit went "tits up" as Moss put up a pretty good fight, so they legged it (and gave up on the money as it wasn't there) - seems plausible.
    Yeah but once Moss is dead why do they have any reason to be scared? They would have expected a police response right from the start (that will happen when a band of men armed with machine guns opens fire in a public place!). So I could see them bugging out if they couldn't take Moss down, but once he's dead why wouldn't they tear the place apart until they find the money?

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

HAHA. Yeah I agree, I ain't gonna try with MD, but suffice to say that although its a massive headfu*k (especially the first time) it has an incredible sense of unease and despair about it, which makes it one of the most intriguing movies I've ever seen...

Go here for some help on WTF is goin' on...

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/classical.htm

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

[quote=AStiffBreeze\";p=\"65102]
    Quote Originally Posted by "YNWA01\";p=\"65085":1luwjd0b
    Yeah but once Moss is dead why do they have any reason to be scared? They would have expected a police response right from the start (that will happen when a band of men armed with machine guns opens fire in a public place!). So I could see them bugging out if they couldn't take Moss down, but once he's dead why wouldn't they tear the place apart until they find the money? [/quote:1luwjd0b]

Hmm, all very reasonable Stiffy. I'm not really sure... maybe Anton C turned up and they cacked their pants and did a runner??? I would have!! LOL.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    MannequinScreams
    XBLA
    Manny Screams

Does what Wells say about the number of floors for the building have anything to do with something?

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

I just took it an indicating they were totally dodgy and had a floor that was probably dedicated to a whole heap of illegal stuff, that they kept "hidden" from the general public or even the buildings employees. Was kinda a cool idea though.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Yeah, the whole hidden floor thing in a high-rise was ingenious. I would never think of something like that, guess I'm not cut out to be a drug baron *

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    YNWA01

Rented myself 'Mulholland Drive' and 'Lost Highway' from the DVD store today. So I will be having some Lynchian movie madness over the next few days. Will be interesting to see how they hold up having not seen either for a while, infact I saw 'Lost Highway' at the cinema in London when I still lived there and have never caught it again. Remember the opening passage of the film being freaky as fk though. Hope it still is many years later! Will post up my thoughts when I've caught them both.

Otis. If you would like to get hold of 'Lost Highway' PM me and we'll sort it out.