Results 8,371 to 8,400 of 8402

Thread: The Film Thread.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Saw Overlord today, I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. There was a review that called it ďan A-grade movie for B-grade tastesĒ which made me laugh, but itís on the money

It was just a good, fun matinee-style movie. The cast was great, it was nicely shot, and the action was very well done. They nailed the tension too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interested in joining AUF?

--> CLICK HERE <--

to learn more about what sort of clan we are,
    and how to go about joining.

AUF Full Member - Dual Post-Millenium Man (2000+) jackal_84's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by AStiffBreeze View Post
    Saw Overlord today, I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. There was a review that called it ďan A-grade movie for B-grade tastesĒ which made me laugh, but itís on the money

It was just a good, fun matinee-style movie. The cast was great, it was nicely shot, and the action was very well done. They nailed the tension too.

I was curios about this one. I'll have to give it a go

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

AUF Full Member - Halfway Glory-Hound (5000+) Smajs's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Darkman is pretty good.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Smajs View Post
    Darkman is pretty good.
    I havenít seen that since I was a little kid. It holds up? I can barely remember it.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Obviously some of the special effects are dated but I think it holds up, I think it is underrated actually.

Liam Neeson is particularly good as Darkman, the tortured soul, and the battle within him gives the film depth, felt a bit like The Crow when I was watching it. Not just another crusader for justice.

Durant is an excellent antagonist, the finger fetish was a nice touch.

Has a good ending as well.
    Last edited by Smajs; 11-12-2018 at 02:09 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Just had a viewing of One Cut of the Dead.
    It is one of the most enjoyable films I have seen in ages.

I don't know if it has/will be widely shown in Australian cinemas, some film festivals have showings. If anyone gets a chance to go see it, or view it by other measures, then they are in for a treat.

The 37 minute, one shot opening is a prelude to an even better final act.

Not just another zombie film.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Hopefully gonna see Free Solo this week.

A documentary about free solo rock climbing the El Capitan. I can feel the gravity just watching it on a screen.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Saw Alita: Battle Angel last night. The early trailers had looked pretty dodgy to me, but the effects in the most recent ones (particularly for Alita) looked significantly improved, so some friends talked me into seeing it.

I was actually really impressed: while some of the characters were very one dimensional, thatís probably my only criticism. The effects are spectacular, particularly for Alita, whoís actually able to properly emote on screen (much like Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War). If that hadnít worked then the whole movie wouldíve been a failure, but Alita is actually (surprisingly) very easy to watch on screen. The world itself feels nicely fleshed out and real, the action is really well done, the design is good, and I found the pacing to be excellent.

Iím really hoping it does well at the box office and we see some big budget sequels. Also, FWIW, a few of the people I saw it with were big fans of the original source material, and the movie got their seal of approval.

--> CLICK HERE <--

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Was it an Anime or Manga originally? Iíve seen a few trailers and will see it eventually.

CLICK ON MY MANBOOBS TO JOIN AUF

AUF Full Member - Kobesonlikepostspammer (4500+) ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

Early reports are it is set to be a box office flop. Surprised to hear it was a decent movie, it has a troubled journey getting onscreen.

I will watch it when it streams, but I will go out on a limb and say that I do not rate James Cameron as a writer. The last good movie he wrote was either Rambo 2 or The Abyss. I donít count Aliens or T2 because they were reworked stories of their previous movies.

As far as digital effects, every movie with a decent budget has great CGI, but he does generally pioneer a lot of tech in his movies. But as a writer he has been stale for a very long time.

AUF Full Member - Dual Post-Millenium Man (2000+) jackal_84's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    jackal_84
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY View Post
    Early reports are it is set to be a box office flop. Surprised to hear it was a decent movie, it has a troubled journey getting onscreen.

I will watch it when it streams, but I will go out on a limb and say that I do not rate James Cameron as a writer. The last good movie he wrote was either Rambo 2 or The Abyss. I donít count Aliens or T2 because they were reworked stories of their previous movies.

As far as digital effects, every movie with a decent budget has great CGI, but he does generally pioneer a lot of tech in his movies. But as a writer he has been stale for a very long time.
    And Rambo 2 was virtually completly rewritten by Stallone from what I heard.

The last great movie was probably True Lies.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

That was probably why I liked Rambo 2 haha.

AUF Full Member - Halfway Glory-Hound (5000+) mmmgilly's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

Saw Captain Marvel and it's Ok. Entertaining, but little substance really. The weakest of the solo origin movies IMO in terms of character development (at least in terms of titular characters).
    "Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000ft and climbing"

"What have I done, that poor dog" GuitarGod-2016

"thanks to gilly for giving me "head" ....... shots.. 5 to be exact.. thanks bud.. took a load off .." Keppida aka Des 2017

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Quest For Fire (1981)

A Caveman road movie of sorts. It seems like a parody at first but it is actually good.

A tribe in possession of life giving fire come under attack and in the process of losing much of their tribe, they also lose the fire, they send three of their warriors off in search of fire and a way to survive.

It has dated special effects, looks cheesy at first, and has very little dialogue outside of the native gestures and vocal calls of the various tribes, yet it possess an engrossing narrative, illustrating the motivations and machinations of the protagonists, and actually provides real character development.

It is emotionally interesting enough to invest in the journey, has some pretty brutal moments yet it is also genuinely funny at times.

Ron Perlman's Film debut, I think Rae Dawn Chong steals the show though, she is amazing in this.

If you can look past some of the make-up work and get stuck in, then the ride is worth it imo.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Smajs View Post
    Quest For Fire (1981)

A Caveman road movie of sorts. It seems like a parody at first but it is actually good.

A tribe in possession of life giving fire come under attack and in the process of losing much of their tribe, they also lose the fire, they send three of their warriors off in search of fire and a way to survive.

It has dated special effects, looks cheesy at first, and has very little dialogue outside of the native gestures and vocal calls of the various tribes, yet it possess an engrossing narrative, illustrating the motivations and machinations of the protagonists, and actually provides real character development.

It is emotionally interesting enough to invest in the journey, has some pretty brutal moments yet it is also genuinely funny at times.

Ron Perlman's Film debut, I think Rae Dawn Chong steals the show though, she is amazing in this.

If you can look past some of the make-up work and get stuck in, then the ride is worth it imo.
    Yeah, a very strange yet compelling movie. I posted about it in here way back in 2010:

http://www.ausforces.com/showthread....920#post239920

It actually won the Oscar for best makeup!

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

Yeah, a very strange yet compelling movie. I posted about it in here way back in 2010:

http://www.ausforces.com/showthread....920#post239920

It actually won the Oscar for best makeup!

I watched it again with a crowd and it was even more enjoyable, pretty incredible how much it draws you in without dialogue.

Also Annaud directed L'Ours, aka The Bear. Another film with sparse dialogue, also another gem.

EDIT - Also a couple of films I caught recently.

Major League (1989)
    Pretty fun Baseball ragtime bunch.

Crying Freeman (1995)
    An Assassin with a heart....or not.

Hereditary (2018)
    A good horror film is a thing to behold.
    Last edited by Smajs; 10-04-2019 at 02:44 AM.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Saw Avengers: Endgame this arvo. They did a fantastic job on it, if it was the last Marvel movie ever made I donít think anyone would feel shortchanged. Lots of callbacks to the earlier films, plenty of tension, quite a few surprises, and it feels like every loose thread in the MCU was appropriately wrapped up. Two thumbs up from me

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

Saw Avengers: Endgame this arvo. They did a fantastic job on it, if it was the last Marvel movie ever made I donít think anyone would feel shortchanged. Lots of callbacks to the earlier films, plenty of tension, quite a few surprises, and it feels like every loose thread in the MCU was appropriately wrapped up. Two thumbs up from me

Here I am trying to contain my hype and you go and post that. Thanks. Will have to go see it Friday.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    "Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000ft and climbing"

"thanks to gilly for giving me "head" ....... shots.. 5 to be exact.. thanks bud.. took a load off .." Keppida aka Des 2017

AUFs bearded Norse Mod AUF Full Member - It's all true .. this person is an AUF-god (15,000+) Locoevo's Avatar
    Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Im off to go see it on Sunday, cant wait

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Just got home from Avengers Endgame, what a fantastic movie, it really did have everything in it.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

Yep, bloody amazing. I think I loved what they didn't do almost as much as I loved what they did do, they handled it brilliantly. I would definitely watch an extended cut if there was one, cause it felt just a tiny bit rushed in the beginning.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

Quote Originally Posted by mmmgilly View Post
    Yep, bloody amazing. I think I loved what they didn't do almost as much as I loved what they did do, they handled it brilliantly. I would definitely watch an extended cut if there was one, cause it felt just a tiny bit rushed in the beginning.
    I think another 3 hours would have been perfect....

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

I saw this interview with the writers which I thought was interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/m....co/8hyNIK5z1S

I still have some questions about specific things Iíd like to see answered though. There are a number of competing theories online

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Locoevo

I saw this interview with the writers which I thought was interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/m....co/8hyNIK5z1S

I still have some questions about specific things Iíd like to see answered though. There are a number of competing theories online

Really good read. Iím honestly happy with the entire franchise as a whole tbh, there were movies that couldíve been better I guess but overall I donít think it will ever be topped as far as scope goes.

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    mmmgilly2
    XBLA
    N/A

There are a number of competing theories online

There's alot of theories from people who either didn't pay enough attention or don't remember previous movies well enough. Personally after having thought about it for a while I'm not asking questions about exactly what happened at all, the only question I have is where the fuck do we go from here.

One thing they didn't mention in that interview regarding the TV shows is,

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY

Quote Originally Posted by Locoevo View Post
    Really good read. Iím honestly happy with the entire franchise as a whole tbh, there were movies that couldíve been better I guess but overall I donít think it will ever be topped as far as scope goes.

It wonít be topped as far as profits go for a long time as well. Which means studios will be falling over themselves trying to copy its success for a long time.

AUFFFFF ... wtf?! who are you?? StonyRF's Avatar
    Clan
    Clan
    PSN
    N/A
    XBLA
    N/A

I've watched the Professor and the Madman. Awesome movie, strongly recommend to everyone

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

The Russo brothers chime in with some answers to the questions I had (spoilers for the end of Avengers: Endgame, obviously):

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/30/ave...ptain-america/

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    AStiffBreeze
    XBLA
    N/A

Saw John Wick 3 the other night. It was OK, great action (particularly the Halle Berry scenes), but it felt a little bit like a cash in to me, with a lot of hokey Ďmythologyí shoehorned in, and a very cynical cliffhanger ending that offered no real closure past the end of the previous movie, let alone John Wick 3.

--> CLICK HERE <--

Clan
    AUF
    PSN
    Smajs

The turnaround between John Wick films is almost as fast as we change Prime Ministers.

The first was excellent, second was great, but I hope they don't run it into the ground with countless sequels, sometimes closure is the best thing.