PDA

View Full Version : PS4 HDD Upgrade

krunt0xen
08-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Well, here goes nothing. I'd been wondering why, for the last 2 days, my Evolve update wouldn't download. Turns out I'm out of space on the 1Tb SSHD :(

I've been extremely happy with the performance of the SSHD, but as many who stuck with the 500Gb stock drive found out quickly, this generation requires buttloads more storage.

After much reading, I've bitten the bullet & decided to follow this (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb) guide over at Eurogamer, to upgrade to 2TB. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes to the snappiness of the OS. Even if it's a bit noticeable at first, I simply need the space, and will have to adjust.

Got the drive at JB for $149 (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/seagate/seagate-expansion-2tb-portable-hard-drive/556411/) No point embedding a https link. The model is STBX2000401 on the bottom of the box.

http://www.takuchat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/20140906_104802.jpg

This external drive is actually cheaper than just buying the drive itself, without the caddy. There's plenty of guides available for ripping the drive inside (SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 2TB) out of the caddy. If you can't be stuffed you can just buy the naked drive for about an extra $20.

Just waiting on a couple of downloads to finish, then the nearly 1Tb backup begins. Good thing is the PS4 has recognised a dual bay external USB HDD dock, and sees an old WD Green 1TB drive formatted to exFAT just fine. Will post back if I encounter any gremlins during the process.

mmmgilly
08-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Well, here goes nothing. I'd been wondering why, for the last 2 days, my Evolve update wouldn't download. Turns out I'm out of space on the 1Tb SSHD :(

I've been extremely happy with the performance of the SSHD, but as many who stuck with the 500Gb stock drive found out quickly, this generation requires buttloads more storage.

After much reading, I've bitten the bullet & decided to follow this (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb) guide over at Eurogamer, to upgrade to 2TB. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes to the snappiness of the OS. Even if it's a bit noticeable at first, I simply need the space, and will have to adjust.

Got the drive at JB for $149 (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/seagate/seagate-expansion-2tb-portable-hard-drive/556411/) No point embedding a https link. The model is STBX2000401 on the bottom of the box.

http://www.takuchat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/20140906_104802.jpg

This external drive is actually cheaper than just buying the drive itself, without the caddy. There's plenty of guides available for ripping the drive inside (SAMSUNG Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 2TB) out of the caddy. If you can't be stuffed you can just buy the naked drive for about an extra $20.

Just waiting on a couple of downloads to finish, then the nearly 1Tb backup begins. Good thing is the PS4 has recognised a dual bay external USB HDD dock, and sees an old WD Green 1TB drive formatted to exFAT just fine. Will post back if I encounter any gremlins during the process.
I'd love to hear how you go krunt, I can't see myself needing to upgrade soon as I don't plan on having a lot of games on the PS4 but knowing if it's going to be an easy upgrade or a shit one in terms of data transfer would be nice to know.

Sw3Et
08-04-2015, 10:39 PM
I upgraded a few months ago to a 2tb seagate. Already half full haha. It's very easy to swap them out, the hardest part was transferring my save files.

Rezzix-
09-04-2015, 05:41 AM
I'm hoping to upgrade my HDD, either in my current PS4 or in the new Arkham one if I decide to pick it up. Keen to see how you go mate [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krunt0xen
09-04-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm hoping to upgrade my HDD, either in my current PS4 or in the new Arkham one if I decide to pick it up. Keen to see how you go mate [emoji106]

Strongly recommend doing it out of the box. Upgrading to 1TB on launch day saved me from doing this until now. My total backup was about 900GB & took 13hrs. I'm guessing a complete restoration will take just as long.

krunt0xen
09-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Just came across a potential issue that I haven't seen in anything I've read, and could well catch a few people out.

If you have multiple accounts using your PS4 as their primary console, you need to go into the settings of each account and deactivate them individually, before removing the old drive.

krunt0xen
09-04-2015, 11:07 PM
This guide has the tear down of the HDD unit mentioned in the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7qkVUbXVXc

Have got the restore running now, and it seems to be running quicker than the backup did. Whacked the 1Tb SSHD into the enclosure the new drive came in, reassembled it & it's working a treat. Random nerd fact: The PS4 had created 15 separate partitions on the old drive.

Rezzix-
10-04-2015, 06:20 AM
Very handy video, cheers krunt [emoji106]

krunt0xen
10-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Success :D

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae227/Ingeloakastimizilian/666B0579-02BB-4BDE-9BB0-855019E1FAAF.jpg

Went for a hoon around the shoreline of the entire GTA map & got into some decent shootouts & the performance seems no different to the SSHD. Snapping from the game back out to the XMB is slightly less crisp, but nothing painful.

The backup/restore functionality added with 2.50 works a treat. It saved my multiple account structure and put it back exactly as it was, right down to the themes in the XMB each account was set to. Didn't even have to re-enter the sign ins for Crunchyroll & Spotify. The only thing I had to do was sign into each account & activate them as my primary PS4, then reboot so it picked up my PS+ sub, and the system was back to exactly as it was before I did the backup.

Gilly, in answer to your question, it's pretty damned simple, just a bit time consuming. That said, if I'd just backed up save files, and reinstalled all the software fresh, I reckon I'd be sitting here for another week, downloading updates, dlc, etc. Anyone with a bullshit data cap on their internet service would be hamstrung for that month. Much better to do it this way.

mmmgilly
10-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Gilly, in answer to your question, it's pretty damned simple, just a bit time consuming. That said, if I'd just backed up save files, and reinstalled all the software fresh, I reckon I'd be sitting here for another week, downloading updates, dlc, etc. Anyone with a bullshit data cap on their internet service would be hamstrung for that month. Much better to do it this way.
You're a legend mate. Good to know shit works well before you actually need it. Did they have a backup utility before patch 2.5? I'd think that would be something pretty basic to be included from the start.

Rezzix-
10-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Good to hear it all worked well mate[emoji106]

What multiple account structure do you have set up if you don't mind me asking?

Stonemull
10-04-2015, 10:50 AM
So what process did you actually use to copy the old SSD to the new drive krunty?
Did you have both drives connected up on the PS4 or did you use some software on a PC to copy the data across ?
Thats the only part missing from the vid above, he redownloads everything. I am not sure how you did the actual game data copy.

Upgrading the Tivo was still a trickier job, 13 partitions I think it was :)

mmmgilly
10-04-2015, 11:01 AM
So what process did you actually use to copy the old SSD to the new drive krunty?
Did you have both drives connected up on the PS4 or did you use some software on a PC to copy the data across ?
Thats the only part missing from the vid above, he redownloads everything. I am not sure how you did the actual game data copy.

Upgrading the Tivo was still a trickier job, 13 partitions I think it was :)
I believe he backed up to a seperate drive, then upgraded to the 2TB drive and restored from the seperate drive.

Good thing is the PS4 has recognised a dual bay external USB HDD dock, and sees an old WD Green 1TB drive formatted to exFAT just fine. Will post back if I encounter any gremlins during the process.

krunt0xen
10-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Did they have a backup utility before patch 2.5? I'd think that would be something pretty basic to be included from the start.

Nope. 2.50 was when it was introduced. Fortunate timing for me. Doing it pre 2.50 would've been truly painful. I imagine testing the functionality & making sure everything was captured while ensuring they could stop people using it to hack the box is what took time.

What multiple account structure do you have set up if you don't mind me asking?

I have accounts in different regions so I can grab games we don't get, which is quite a few thanks to our dickhead classification mob.

As gilly said. Formatted an old 1Tb Western Digital green drive as exFAT, hooked up a powered HDD dock to the PS4 & used the backup/restore tool in Settings - System to back up everything. Once I'd reinitialised the PS4 I used the same process to restore.

One strange thing I did notice was that the 1Tb SSHD, in the caddy I ripped the 2Tb drive from, formatted to exFAT, wasn't recognised when I tried to use it to do the reinitialisation after putting the new 2Tb drive in. Formatted a 16Gb USB flash drive the same way & it worked fine. I'm not sure whether the volume size freaked it out, or whether the drive trying to pull all its power from 1 USB port on the PS4 was too much for it. I know, from the last time I upgraded the drive, that the PS4 really doesn't like cheapshit USB flash drives. Will hook up the 1Tb shortly & see if the backup/restore tool recognises it.

mmmgilly
10-04-2015, 12:06 PM
One strange thing I did notice was that the 1Tb SSHD, in the caddy I ripped the 2Tb drive from, formatted to exFAT, wasn't recognised when I tried to use it to do the reinitialisation after putting the new 2Tb drive in. Formatted a 16Gb USB flash drive the same way & it worked fine. I'm not sure whether the volume size freaked it out, or whether the drive trying to pull all its power from 1 USB port on the PS4 was too much for it. I know, from the last time I upgraded the drive, that the PS4 really doesn't like cheapshit USB flash drives. Will hook up the 1Tb shortly & see if the backup/restore tool recognises it.
Maybe the old drive recognises the PS4 and still thinks it's the primary drive?

On the subject of cheapshit USB flash drives, I'm thinking I'm going to need a USB hub for my ps4, I went and got a 16GB USB3.0 flash drive, but because of where the port is situated in the case it doesn't fit perfectly. Plug it in as far as it can go and it recognises it, but if you just leave it it will disconnect while not visibly appearing to move. It goes in just far enough to make it seems like it's in perfectly, I had to get right up close and look at it side on to realise that the case of the flash drive was wider than the space in the PS4 where the USB ports are.

krunt0xen
10-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Maybe the old drive recognises the PS4 and still thinks it's the primary drive?

On the subject of cheapshit USB flash drives, I'm thinking I'm going to need a USB hub for my ps4, I went and got a 16GB USB3.0 flash drive, but because of where the port is situated in the case it doesn't fit perfectly. Plug it in as far as it can go and it recognises it, but if you just leave it it will disconnect while not visibly appearing to move. It goes in just far enough to make it seems like it's in perfectly, I had to get right up close and look at it side on to realise that the case of the flash drive was wider than the space in the PS4 where the USB ports are.

Nah I'm just a dipstick. I checked the drive again & I'd actually formatted it NTFS. Reformatted as exFAT & the backup tool sees it just fine. If you get a good hub for the PS4, let us know. I will never understand why they inset the USB ports. Such an obvious design flaw. Stops some devices being plugged in, and makes others extremely difficult to remove.

Stonemull
10-04-2015, 04:36 PM
I have 2 USB extension cables, a short one I got with a wifi dongle works really well on anything, a cheaper one I have will not work well on devices that draw a fair bit of current. They come in very handy at times.

Rezzix-
15-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Trying to upgrade my new PS4 today straight out of the box... No luck :(

I've got the hard drive mentioned in this thread, swapped it into the caddy and booted up in safe mode with a USB containing the latest firmware (2.55) in the correct folder structure, but the PS4 isn't recognising it and just keeps asking me to insert a USB with the correct firmware 1.76 or later...
Any ideas?

Edit:

Solved, was the update file, not the full firmware.

Stonemull
05-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Just bought myself a 2TB drive, $129 for a porsche design doohickey ..
wish me luck ! I'm going in..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stonemull
05-04-2016, 06:54 PM
First hiccup is I am assuming because my 1T backup drive is FAT32? not sure yet, it tells me there will be 247G left after backup, reboots to backup and then fails with an CE-31414-3 error (cannot backup to usb) yay, so copying the rest of what is on the drive to my PC so I can reformat as exfat.

Only 3 hours left of the copy .. sigh, could be a long night. Might as well go play bf4..

Playstation update file took an hour to download 253M and is sitting on a USB stick in /PS4/UPDATE ready to go.

The drive is from here http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=131&bid=5&sid=269803

was on special today for $129, pulled the bay out and it is a samsung drive which was a problem in 2014 but appears ok now.

Version 1.7 solves the PS4 cold boot problem with the Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB (ST2000LM003). I want to personally thank everyone on this forum post for making this issue publicly known. It appears Sony has actually listened and solved our problem. I can finally enjoy my 2TB hard drive without worrying about my PS4 not booting properly. Smiley Very Happy

Stonemull
06-04-2016, 02:03 AM
backup has 43 minutes left..
oh, suggest doing a 'rebuild system database' before doing the backup, reading up on issues that can cause backup to fail several hours in and force you to start again, so worth spending a minute beforehand to do this.
From safe mode if not sure, powerdown then hold power for 7 seconds.

Stonemull
06-04-2016, 03:58 AM
Getting there more.. I was going to clean the PS4 while it is in bits but decided to do one job at a time, only 1 screw for the HDD caddy so it is hardly backtracking. Prefer to make sure it is operating with the new disk before jiggling the motherboard.

My post up above is wrong, I downloaded the incorrect PS4UPDATE.PUP .. there are 2, I guess one is just an incremental backup, the other is a full system, so you need the 814MB file, not the 250MB file or you get to look up another error message.
Good news though, it is downloading a heck of a lot faster than the first one did. 15 minutes or so..

The backup has created a PS4 folder already, so just created an UPDATE folder under that, saves having to find yet another USB device just for the update file.

... and that works fine,
I wasted some time resetting up my "new" ps4's internet, waste of time, just skip all that and go straight to restore, it will erase all the settings anyway before the restore.
a few weeks ago I deleted a bunch of games I haven't played in a while (sahdow of mordor, ufc etc) so I could install the last BF4 map and world of tanks as it was simply chokka.
Wish I hadn't now.

so to summarize ..

you need an EXFAT partitioned drive with as much free space as your ps4 holds. (might work with a FAT32, perhaps it just needed to be unfragmented, not sure, it recognised it, just would not back up), you do not need a second usb stick.
Do a system "rebuild database" first.
then its 4 hours + for the backup, its an old external HDD so might be a lot faster with a more current one.
the 850M PS4 system update file.
about 20-30 minutes to install the system software on the new HDD.
another 4 hours plus for the restore.

Only tools needed are a small phillips head screwdriver. No torx bits required.

So fingers crossed I will wake up to a PS4 with 1.6TB free.
g'night..

Smokin_Icarus
06-04-2016, 07:11 AM
Stoney thanks for your feedback on your own experience. One day I will have to do this as well. No more disks for me.

Stonemull
06-04-2016, 10:42 AM
No worrys, the easiest part of the whole thing is actually putting the HDD in physically, easiest HD to change ever. You need your PS login as well after update.
I ended up with 1.77TB total and 1.40TB free space..

AStiffBreeze
06-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Your backup drive definitely needs to be exFAT since there are individual files larger than 4GB.

Interested in joining AUF? Full instructions can be found HERE (http://www.ausforces.com/showthread.php?4-An-introduction-to-AUF-(START-HERE!)).

Stonemull
06-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Your backup drive definitely needs to be exFAT since there are individual files larger than 4GB.

Ah, well that makes sense then, I wish they would put simple facts like that in easy to find descriptions for error messages. It would make life a lot easier.

In other news : I was going to put the old drive aside for safekeeping, but have decided to stick it in the now empty porsche case, reformat it as ex fat and then backup the drive as it is now to it.
Why not .. I quite like the look of the porsche designed thing, nice solid aluminium case, but it has a short cable with some proprietry USB connector on it with like a double micro USB on it side by side, it will be a pita to use as a regular 2.5 external so I will just use it to keep my old drive safe.
At least if it reformatted it is useable for 100G of free space plus keeping a backup of my PS4 as it stands.

Stonemull
06-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Plugged old drive in the new housing into the PC, computer manager found 15 seperate partitions, right click and remove volume on each of them, create a new unformatted volume (you can only format as NTFS at this stage), then select and reformat as ExFAT.
Plugged back into my PS4 for another 3 hours and I have a current backup I can put aside for an energency and can then reformat the 1TB drive with my first backup on it.

AStiffBreeze
06-04-2016, 03:57 PM
I quite like the look of the porsche designed thing, nice solid aluminium case, but it has a short cable with some proprietry USB connector on it with like a double micro USB on it side by side, it will be a pita to use as a regular 2.5 external so I will just use it to keep my old drive safe.

Are you sure it's not just a USB 3.0 Micro-B connector?

Stonemull
06-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Backup complete .. apparentely the newfangled dagnabbit doohickey connector is a USB 3 micro connector. (shuddup stiffy, i can hear you sniggering, its my first one!)

Also tested caddy and it works with a stock USB micro cable.
The backup files are all 4G by the way, 86 of the lil fuckers.

mmmgilly
07-04-2016, 12:08 AM
The backup files are all 4G by the way, 86 of the lil fuckers.

That's a very specific size, almost as if it was designed for a FAT32 formatted drive.

AStiffBreeze
07-04-2016, 12:49 AM
That's a very specific size, almost as if it was designed for a FAT32 formatted drive.

The PS4 can't read FAT32 - it's probably a holdover from the PS3 version of the backup utility (which required FAT32).

Stonemull
09-04-2016, 11:38 PM
The PS4 can't read FAT32 - it's probably a holdover from the PS3 version of the backup utility (which required FAT32).

Nup, that did not sound right as when my HDD was FAT32 I could browse it for media, just there was none on it.
I just grabbed an old USB stick, FAT32 with an linux installer on it (pendrive linux), created a Music folder and dragged a couple of mp3's and a movie into it.
PS4 plays all of them just fine. So maybe they fixed it, the backup would not work to a fat32 however, I did not try a defrag first though.

AStiffBreeze
10-04-2016, 12:08 AM
Nup, that did not sound right as when my HDD was FAT32 I could browse it for media, just there was none on it.
I just grabbed an old USB stick, FAT32 with an linux installer on it (pendrive linux), created a Music folder and dragged a couple of mp3's and a movie into it.
PS4 plays all of them just fine. So maybe they fixed it, the backup would not work to a fat32 however, I did not try a defrag first though.

I meant for the backup/restore utility. Although that might have been updated since they released it on PS4.

Stonemull
10-04-2016, 01:07 AM
roger, i wasnt sure what you meant.

mmmgilly
19-12-2016, 02:03 PM
So tonight/this afternoon I'll be upgrading from the stock 500GB to the 2TB, just checking, after doing the backup, when putting the new drive in, does it need to be formatted beforehand, or will the initialisation with the USB with firmware handle everything?

Locoevo
19-12-2016, 02:44 PM
PS4 should format any new drive automatically.

Interested in joining AUF? Just CLICK HERE (http://www.ausforces.com/showthread.php?4-An-introduction-to-AUF-(START-HERE!)) to learn more about our clan, including how to go about joining :)

mmmgilly
19-12-2016, 04:00 PM
PS4 should format any new drive automatically.

Interested in joining AUF? Just CLICK HERE (http://www.ausforces.com/showthread.php?4-An-introduction-to-AUF-(START-HERE!)) to learn more about our clan, including how to go about joining :)
cheers loco

Stonemull
19-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Yeh, it adds quite a few partitions.

AStiffBreeze
19-12-2016, 05:56 PM
So tonight/this afternoon I'll be upgrading from the stock 500GB to the 2TB, just checking, after doing the backup, when putting the new drive in, does it need to be formatted beforehand, or will the initialisation with the USB with firmware handle everything?

As pointed out, the drive will be automatically formatted.

For the USB stick with firmware, make sure of three things:
The stick is formatted as ExFAT, with MBR partition schema;

You have the full PS4 firmware file, not the incremental one; and

Make you sure you place the firmware file at /PS4/UPDATE/

mmmgilly
19-12-2016, 11:18 PM
Cheers for the help guys. All worked fine.

Stonemull
20-12-2016, 12:43 PM
enjoy that new space !

chnxx
20-12-2016, 08:52 PM

Where did you find 2TB drive I'm looking at upgrading from 500GB as well or even 1TB will do me.

UPDATE: Found some on JB https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/wd/wd-elements-portable-1tb-hard-drive/438708/
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/seagate/seagate-expansion-portable-hard-drive-1tb/718560/

I'm looking at getting one of these pulling it apart and slapping it in the ps4 given they have similar read/write/access speeds to the stock one. Would anyone have insight on these or am I better going off to PLE or some computer shop in WA and finding a drive there?

mmmgilly
21-12-2016, 01:14 AM
Where did you find 2TB drive I'm looking at upgrading from 500GB as well or even 1TB will do me.

UPDATE: Found some on JB https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/wd/wd-elements-portable-1tb-hard-drive/438708/
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/seagate/seagate-expansion-portable-hard-drive-1tb/718560/

I'm looking at getting one of these pulling it apart and slapping it in the ps4 given they have similar read/write/access speeds to the stock one. Would anyone have insight on these or am I better going off to PLE or some computer shop in WA and finding a drive there?
I'd go the 2TB version of the Seagate expansion you have their mate. (when I say I would, I really mean thats exactly what I did) For the extra $30-40 you get heaps more space (also the artice krunt linked in his OP http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb says the 1TB option doesn't feature a SATA connection and isn't suitable to go into the PS4) . I got mine from officeworks, but it's the same price there as JB. The caddy is pretty simple to open up, but it will be pretty hard to get it open without scratching the outside a tiny bit. Apparantly the older model with the same internal drives were a bit easier

chnxx
23-12-2016, 06:04 PM
I'd go the 2TB version of the Seagate expansion you have their mate. (when I say I would, I really mean thats exactly what I did) For the extra $30-40 you get heaps more space (also the artice krunt linked in his OP http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb says the 1TB option doesn't feature a SATA connection and isn't suitable to go into the PS4) . I got mine from officeworks, but it's the same price there as JB. The caddy is pretty simple to open up, but it will be pretty hard to get it open without scratching the outside a tiny bit. Apparantly the older model with the same internal drives were a bit easier

Thanks gilly took your advice and just opted for the 2TB model went to JB earlier and didn't even think twice about ahah. Now i just gotta get off me a** and install it and play the waiting game with the back up & restore, i think afew drinks will help pass that time. Yeah I've ripped an old toshiba drive to upgrade my original 40GB to a 500GB so i'll just use some small computer tools i have laying around to crack it open. Should hopefully be the same as ps3 though PNP

mmmgilly
23-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Yeah I've ripped an old toshiba drive to upgrade my original 40GB to a 500GB so i'll just use some small computer tools i have laying around to crack it open. Should hopefully be the same as ps3 though PNP
The only tools you'll need is something to crack the caddy open (not having a scalpel on hand I used a really thin but rounded steak knife, it's not too hard, but you just need to make sure you go all the way around cracking the clips, once you've got it open you can pull the SATA-USB bridge off by hand) and one phillips head screwdriver. As far as opening up the PS4 and swapping the drives goes, I don't think SONY could have made it much simpler to be honest. Don't forget the firmware update file on a USB to reinitialise the PS4 as Stiff pointed out above.

Locoevo
07-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Just put my SSHD into the pro hopefully that'll make load times a bit better, Found Destiny was loading way to slow, will have to download all the games again but thats no issue.

AStiffBreeze
07-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Just put my SSHD into the pro hopefully that'll make load times a bit better, Found Destiny was loading way to slow, will have to download all the games again but thats no issue.

Nice! The SSHD will give you the biggest boost when you're accessing the same files a lot... e.g. constantly loading Destiny :D

SSHDs aren't quite as good if your data access patterns are a little more random (e.g. regularly launching lots of different games); that's where a full SSD kind of has it all to itself.

Given how bad load times are on consoles (a byproduct of the encryption no doubt) there was no way I was going to use the stock drive in the Pro. It meant a way longer setup time as I backed up my old PS4 SSHD, swapped the Pro and old PS4 HDDs, restored to the old PS4 (which now had the stock drive from the Pro in it), and then finally transferred the data from old PS4 to Pro (which now had the SSHD in it); it was a tough wait with a shiny new toy, but I figured I'd just get it out of the way upfront.

I'll probably grab one of the new 2TB SSHDs when they become more widely available. I was semi-tempted by the performance of a 1TB SSD, but storage space is already kind of tight for me at 1TB, and it's not going to get any better as time goes on...

Locoevo
07-01-2017, 03:37 PM
Yea it's noticeably faster opening up menu screens etc, I meant to do it when I first got it but just figured I'd swap it over later.

All my old data is gone but I never used any of it anyway, lost some great clips for a montage of Destiny but oh well, I'll make some more eventually.

I don't have that many digital games and I'd just delete them if I finished them anyway so 1TB should be good enough for me.

mudman05
23-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Is this drive suitable for upgrading PS4 hdd?
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/seagate/seagate-expansion-portable-hard-drive-2tb/718568/

Have to finally upgrade the 500mb one as I only have 6 game files on it & can't even do updates anymore so am needing to do asap

Edit: or this one better
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/seagate/seagate-backup-plus-slim-2tb-portable-drive-black/511478/

AStiffBreeze
23-01-2017, 08:29 PM
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/seagate/seagate-expansion-portable-hard-drive-2tb/718568/

Have to finally upgrade the 500mb one as I only have 6 game files on it & can't even do updates anymore so am needing to do asap

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/all-computers--tablets/seagate/seagate-backup-plus-slim-2tb-portable-drive-black/511478/
You just need a 2.5" SATA HDD that's less than 9.5mm tall. Anything that fits those specs will do. If you get a 7200rpm drive, just be aware that those generate more heat than the 5400rpm drives that Sony ships in the consoles; not a huge issue, but depending on ambient temps where you keep your PS4 it's something to consider.

Personally I'm still waiting for the Seagate FireCuda 2.5" SSHD in 2TB (ST2000LX001) to become more widely available.

mudman05
23-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks Stiff, I keep mine vertical on top of the tv unit so heat shouldn't be a issue
I did see a 2tb sshd but can't afford $1249 right now [emoji6]

mmmgilly
23-01-2017, 10:01 PM

Muddy, I used the seagate expansion 2TB and haven't had any problems so far.

Stonemull
23-01-2017, 10:45 PM
I used one of these Porsche Design doohickeys, I can't remember what size it was or drive type (Hitachi?) any longer, its a nice aluminium case though that I then put the PS4 drive in and use it as my TV's local recorder storage.

https://www.umart.com.au/newsite/goods.php?id=34545

mudman05
23-01-2017, 11:16 PM
Thanks Gilly & Stoney.

AStiffBreeze
23-01-2017, 11:26 PM
Thanks Stiff, I keep mine vertical on top of the tv unit so heat shouldn't be a issue
I did see a 2tb sshd but can't afford $1249 right now [emoji6]

They're about $180.

HDD is (in current common parlance) a standard spindle disc, slow but cheap.

SSD is pure flash storage, super fast, and costs a fortune.

SSHD is a hybrid of the two, it features a spindle disc but with some flash memory as well to speed up access to commonly used data. It's quicker than an HDD and cheaper than an SSD.

bigfatant
24-01-2017, 06:41 AM
Anyone using the nyko drive adaptor for the ps4 so you can use 3.5" drives?

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

mudman05
24-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Did anyone try backing up to ps plus cloud instead of hd? Think I might try it but will do a back up just in case

mudman05
24-01-2017, 04:10 PM
They're about $180.

HDD is (in current common parlance) a standard spindle disc, slow but cheap.

SSD is pure flash storage, super fast, and costs a fortune.

SSHD is a hybrid of the two, it features a spindle disc but with some flash memory as well to speed up access to commonly used data. It's quicker than an HDD and cheaper than an SSD.

That's not so bad, but really need it now, might save that for the pro when I get it

AStiffBreeze
24-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Did anyone try backing up to ps plus cloud instead of hd? Think I might try it but will do a back up just in case

That will only backup your saves I think. It won't get game install data, themes, digital games, etc.

mudman05
24-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Ah ok no probs, thanks mate

mudman05
25-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Quick question for the flash drive with the update file does that have to be formatted to anything specific? Have tried one & am getting error saying no file

lex_stone_76
25-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Quick question for the flash drive with the update file does that have to be formatted to anything specific? Have tried one & am getting error saying no file
Exfat is all I've been able to get to work with mine

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

mudman05
25-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Thanks Lex, that's what I tried first but think it partitioned it funny so will have to try again

lex_stone_76
25-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Thanks Lex, that's what I tried first but think it partitioned it funny so will have to try again
Sounds strange hopefully some of the gurus around here can help if you can't get it to work.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

mudman05
25-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Ok fixed now, had downloaded smaller file & then correct file which it renamed with a "2" in it. Renamed file & working now. Bring on 2tb's

mudman05
25-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Ok bigger problem, new hard drive in & initialised gone to restore my back up & it's saying it's corrupted. Any ideas or do I have to pull apart & re-do all over again? Or could I put old PS4 hdd in the external case & re copy to my other portable drive with corrupted data

Locoevo
25-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Ok bigger problem, new hard drive in & initialised gone to restore my back up & it's saying it's corrupted. Any ideas or do I have to pull apart & re-do all over again? Or could I put old PS4 hdd in the external case & re copy to my other portable drive with corrupted data

Does your PS4 boot up normally before restoring files?

mudman05
25-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Yep PS4 boots normally, checked & hVe 1.77tb of free space, clicked on restore, finds drive & then has window pop up with corrupted data & yesterday's date. When I did the backup it said it had completed correctly

Locoevo
25-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Yep PS4 boots normally, checked & hVe 1.77tb of free space, clicked on restore, finds drive & then has window pop up with corrupted data & yesterday's date. When I did the backup it said it had completed correctly

Looks like you might be playing all your games again :(

Most stuff will be saved on servers like Destiny BF1 etc but any SP games may be corrupted. You could try hooking up the old PS4 HDD and use that to reinstall the data?

mudman05
25-01-2017, 08:30 PM
oh man! not to concerned with SP stuff & am hoping game save files are on ps+ cloud. Might try connecting old ps4 drive with the usb attachment & see what happens. Otherwise i guess i just have to reinstall of each disk as i play & re-do all the bloody updates :(

Nope doesnt work straight off old HDD, don't think i can be bothered pulling everything apart & backing up again in case it doesn't work a second time.

Locoevo
25-01-2017, 08:35 PM
oh man! not to concerned with SP stuff & am hoping game save files are on ps+ cloud. Might try connecting old ps4 drive with the usb attachment & see what happens. Otherwise i guess i just have to reinstall of each disk as i play & re-do all the bloody updates :(

Yea it's what I've been doing as i go along, only have 4 games on new PS currently haha

mudman05
25-01-2017, 08:36 PM
ok thats what im going to do as well. should run fast with lots of memory i guess.

AStiffBreeze
30-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Personally I'm still waiting for the Seagate FireCuda 2.5" SSHD in 2TB (ST2000LX001) to become more widely available.

Digital Foundry have just done some benchmarks using the drive model I mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hftHjOvcUtc

mudman05
30-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Very interesting, I haven't timed mine but there is definitely a slight decrease in load times from the original 500gb hdd

Fluxburner
25-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Quick question anyone know if there is a compatible 4Tb HDD to fit straight into a PS4 Pro caddy as I only can find 15mm thick ones and I believe these are too thick if I remember I think 11.5 mm is max in that caddy. Was told there was a BArracuda but I cant find it they are all seemingly 15 mm . ANyone know of an option here.
I realise about the external hdd but dont want to lose the usb port which is why Im wanting one.
Thanks in advance guys.

Locoevo
25-11-2017, 04:33 PM
The Pro is 9.5mm caddy so there’s nothing over 2TB at the moment but I saw this that might help solving some issues.

https://youtu.be/r_DEjsbC1Xc

https://nyko.com/products/playstation-4-data-bank

AStiffBreeze
25-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Or just get a small USB hub. Powered if you need it, unpowered if not (depends on what devices you have connected. I have a 2TB internal SSHD, small SSD external, and a powered USB hub for my other crap (keyboard, headset dongle, charging, etc.).

Fluxburner
25-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Or just get a small USB hub. Powered if you need it, unpowered if not (depends on what devices you have connected. I have a 2TB internal SSHD, small SSD external, and a powered USB hub for my other crap (keyboard, headset dongle, charging, etc.).

Yeah true ok thats a plan

The Pro is 9.5mm caddy so there’s nothing over 2TB at the moment but I saw this that might help solving some issues.

https://youtu.be/r_DEjsbC1Xc

https://nyko.com/products/playstation-4-data-bank

I saw those mate just wasn't a fan on ergonomics with that block strapped on.

Ended up going with this bad boy Seagate 8Tb since it was a sweet price atm off US Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HAPGEIE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) $190 AUD shipped here not half bad since they are still $300 here....
This should fix my storage issue.
Thanks guys for input.