PDA

View Full Version : Dmz

Ffizack
20-01-2015, 12:19 AM
Hey guys had a chat to stiff and he said to drop down my modem details to hopefully get some help with connection issues

It's a D Link 2544n

AStiffBreeze
20-01-2015, 02:37 AM
Hey guys had a chat to stiff and he said to drop down my modem details to hopefully get some help with connection issues

It's a D Link 2544n

Are you connected to it wirelessly, or via an ethernet cable?

Here's a link to the manual for future reference:
ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-2544N/Manuals/DSL-2544N_T1_Manual_v1.00(AU).pdf

From a web browser on your home network, go to 192.168.1.1 (this is the setup page for your modem) and use the username/password of admin/admin

Go to SETUP > Local Network, and in the DHCP Reservations List section you want to click the Add button.

On the page that pops up, you want to tick the Enable box, type in PS4 as the computer name, pick a memorable IP address to be permanently assigned to your PS4 that's within the DHCP address range you would have seen on the previous screen (I'd recommend 192.168.1.69 because it's easy to identify and you won't forget it), and then you need to type in the MAC address for your PS4. You can find this in the network settings on your PS4 itself in Settings > Network > View Connection Status (it'll tell you the MAC address for both the ethernet cable and wi-fi, make sure you pick the one that corresponds to the way you connect to your modem).

Click the apply button and you should see your PS4 entry now pop up in the DHCP Reservations List. That's good, your PS4 is now getting a static address (i.e. it will always be the one you typed in earlier, e.g. 192.168.1.69). Now we just need to chuck that address into the DMZ.

Go ADVANCED > DMZ, and then tick the box to enable DMZ. Type in the IP address you picked for your PS4 earlier (e.g. 192.168.1.69) as the DMZ Host IP Address. That should do it. If you select Log Out from the left menu you should be good to go - if it asks you to save settings, or tells you that it needs to reboot the modem to save the settings, just agree to it. If the modem does need to reboot just be patient as that can take several minutes sometimes.

With that all done, the final step is to go back to your PS4 and make sure it's getting the IP address that you put into the DMZ. If you go to Settings > Network > View Connection Status, you should be able to see what IP address your PS4 is getting. If it's the one you picked earlier (e.g. 192.168.1.69) then you're in business and your PS4 is in the DMZ.

If you have any problems just post in here.

Ffizack
20-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Are you connected to it wirelessly, or via an ethernet cable?

Here's a link to the manual for future reference:
ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-2544N/Manuals/DSL-2544N_T1_Manual_v1.00(AU).pdf

From a web browser on your home network, go to 192.168.1.1 (this is the setup page for your modem) and use the username/password of admin/admin

Go to SETUP > Local Network, and in the DHCP Reservations List section you want to click the Add button.

On the page that pops up, you want to tick the Enable box, type in PS4 as the computer name, pick a memorable IP address to be permanently assigned to your PS4 that's within the DHCP address range you would have seen on the previous screen (I'd recommend 192.168.1.69 because it's easy to identify and you won't forget it), and then you need to type in the MAC address for your PS4. You can find this in the network settings on your PS4 itself in Settings > Network > View Connection Status (it'll tell you the MAC address for both the ethernet cable and wi-fi, make sure you pick the one that corresponds to the way you connect to your modem).

Click the apply button and you should see your PS4 entry now pop up in the DHCP Reservations List. That's good, your PS4 is now getting a static address (i.e. it will always be the one you typed in earlier, e.g. 192.168.1.69). Now we just need to chuck that address into the DMZ.

Go ADVANCED > DMZ, and then tick the box to enable DMZ. Type in the IP address you picked for your PS4 earlier (e.g. 192.168.1.69) as the DMZ Host IP Address. That should do it. If you select Log Out from the left menu you should be good to go - if it asks you to save settings, or tells you that it needs to reboot the modem to save the settings, just agree to it. If the modem does need to reboot just be patient as that can take several minutes sometimes.

With that all done, the final step is to go back to your PS4 and make sure it's getting the IP address that you put into the DMZ. If you go to Settings > Network > View Connection Status, you should be able to see what IP address your PS4 is getting. If it's the one you picked earlier (e.g. 192.168.1.69) then you're in business and your PS4 is in the DMZ.

If you have any problems just post in here.

Hey stiff! Just completed everything and the IP address on the playstation is saying 192.168.1.6 there's no 9 on the end

AStiffBreeze
20-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Hey stiff! Just completed everything and the IP address on the playstation is saying 192.168.1.6 there's no 9 on the end

That means the DHCP reservation either isn't working, or you just made a typo when entering the IP address there. If you go back to that screen you should see your PS4 entry there with the IP address you typed in.

If you don't see a PS4 entry there, then just add it again. You might need to log out and/or tell it to save the settings. Once that's all done, powering the modem down and then (after a minute or so) powering it back up might be required.

If the entry does appear there, it might be that the PS4 is still using the old DHCP lease (try switching to wireless then back to wired on the PS4, or vice versa), or you might have entered the MAC address incorrectly. There are various notations used and it might be that the one that the PS4 displays on screen (using colons if I remember correctly) differs from the one that the modem is expecting (replacing the colons with either dashes or full stops might be all it takes). Hopefully the modem entry screen makes the format it wants clear.

Is your PS4 connected to the net via a network cable, or wirelessly?

Interested in joining AUF? Full instructions can be found HERE (http://www.ausforces.com/showthread.php?4-An-introduction-to-AUF-(START-HERE!)).

Ffizack
20-01-2015, 11:38 AM
That means the DHCP reservation either isn't working, or you just made a typo when entering the IP address there. If you go back to that screen you should see your PS4 entry there with the IP address you typed in.

If you don't see a PS4 entry there, then just add it again. You might need to log out and/or tell it to save the settings. Once that's all done, powering the modem down and then (after a minute or so) powering it back up might be required.

If the entry does appear there, it might be that the PS4 is still using the old DHCP lease (try switching to wireless then back to wired on the PS4, or vice versa), or you might have entered the MAC address incorrectly. There are various notations used and it might be that the one that the PS4 displays on screen (using colons if I remember correctly) differs from the one that the modem is expecting (replacing the colons with either dashes or full stops might be all it takes). Hopefully the modem entry screen makes the format it wants clear.

Interested in joining AUF? Full instructions can be found HERE (http://www.ausforces.com/showthread.php?4-An-introduction-to-AUF-(START-HERE!)).

Have tried that but everything the same..
I'm connected via cable in a range extender ? Could that be it?

Ffizack
20-01-2015, 11:42 AM

Also the nAT type is failing

AStiffBreeze
20-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Tell me more about the range extender you're using

Stonemull
20-01-2015, 01:34 PM
still don't know if on wifi or LAN cable.
people are trying to help, answer ze qvestions !

Locoevo
20-01-2015, 01:44 PM
still don't know if on wifi or LAN cable.
people are trying to help, answer ze qvestions !
He said connected via cable with a range extender2 posts up.

Ffizack
20-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Tell me more about the range extender you're using

He said connected via cable with a range extender2 posts up.

It's one of the belkin ones , not home anymore to check. Played GTA online and had no connection issues, everything worked well

Thanks loco ! At least someone can read ;)

AStiffBreeze
20-01-2015, 02:53 PM
It's one of the belkin ones , not home anymore to check. Played GTA online and had no connection issues, everything worked well

Thanks loco ! At least someone can read ;)

When you get home it would be great to get a couple of bits of info to try and troubleshoot this problem:

- Model of the extender
- Screenshot of the DHCP reservation list (best to black out the MAC address)
- Screenshot of the DMZ page

If we can get your PS4 into the DMZ then the NAT issues you have with voice chat will go away, along with most other issues TBH.

Ffizack
20-01-2015, 02:55 PM
When you get home it would be great to get a couple of bits of info to try and troubleshoot this problem:

- Model of the extender
- Screenshot of the DHCP reservation list (best to black out the MAC address)
- Screenshot of the DMZ page

If we can get your PS4 into the DMZ then the NAT issues you have with voice chat will go away, along with most other issues TBH.

No worries stiff! Thanks for your help!

Stonemull
20-01-2015, 07:04 PM
I can read ffairly well :)
not being pedantic, was genuinely confused.

ethernet copes with 100m, you use an ethernet extender to get kilometers. its not called a range extender though.
multiport switch, its not for extending range as such, its not called a range extender.

google range extenders you will will find they invariably extend WiFi range, they are either connected by ethernet or wifi, i figured it was a cabled wifi extender.

either way, the 'range extender' in this case is a very important part of the equation and specifics is needed.

I used an old dlink modem just as a switch in my lounge and it made a horrible mess of NAT no matter what options I tried.
tried a full wifi range extender and it was even worse. those things are disgusting, only good for browsing.

ended up buying a second gigabit switch and problems went away.

the PS4 really needs some better tools for network analysis. It seems the 'network test' function changes depending on wind direction. its so variable.

boydglin
20-01-2015, 08:03 PM
just wondering if its worth changing to dmz if im not really having any problems gaming with my current connection?

AStiffBreeze
20-01-2015, 09:31 PM
just wondering if its worth changing to dmz if im not really having any problems gaming with my current connection?

If you only have one gaming console then I'd say DMZ is best. If you have more than one then UPnP is your only decent option.

The thing with a DMZ is that the manufacturers can't really fuck up the implementation. DMZ is DMZ, if your modem/router offers it then it will work. UPnP on the other hand is all down to how the manufacturer implements it; some work well, some are terrible.

If you never have any problems then you're lucky. I'd still say DMZ is better but it might not be worth the hassle if you have zero problems and your modem/router has a fantastic UPnP implementation. If it was me I'd still try it though.

Sw3Et
20-01-2015, 09:55 PM
You're very helpful Stiffy. Top bloke

Sykotik_mushroom
20-01-2015, 11:09 PM
Is "default DMZ server" the same as DMZ host IP address

AStiffBreeze
20-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Is "default DMZ server" the same as DMZ host IP address

Yep.

boydglin
21-01-2015, 09:16 PM
If you only have one gaming console then I'd say DMZ is best. If you have more than one then UPnP is your only decent option.

The thing with a DMZ is that the manufacturers can't really fuck up the implementation. DMZ is DMZ, if your modem/router offers it then it will work. UPnP on the other hand is all down to how the manufacturer implements it; some work well, some are terrible.

If you never have any problems then you're lucky. I'd still say DMZ is better but it might not be worth the hassle if you have zero problems and your modem/router has a fantastic UPnP implementation. If it was me I'd still try it though.

cool thanks stiffy i will look into it on the weekend i think