PDA

View Full Version : SSD or SSHD for the PS4

JORDS686
18-01-2015, 09:35 PM
i have almost filled the stock 500GB HDD on my PS4, so am thinking about putting in a 1TB SSD or SSHD... Probably the latter given the price of the former! Just wondering if anyone else has done this for their PS4...

I like these newer type of drives because loading times SUCK for games like GTA. Hoping they will be reduced a little with a better storage device.

Locoevo
18-01-2015, 09:38 PM
There's a few of us with SSHD, can't remember the name of it but I think there was discussion about it in the Official PS4 thread

Interested in joining AUF? Full instructions can be found HERE (http://www.ausforces.com/showthread.php?4-An-introduction-to-AUF-(START-HERE!)).

Angelus-512
18-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Seems to me a SSD would be a waste. Unlike on PC gaming performance is not improved far as I'm aware. It would simply speed up load times/screens but for the cost "whatevs"

artysig
18-01-2015, 11:12 PM
i have almost filled the stock 500GB HDD on my PS4, so am thinking about putting in a 1TB SSD or SSHD... Probably the latter given the price of the former! Just wondering if anyone else has done this for their PS4...

I like these newer type of drives because loading times SUCK for games like GTA. Hoping they will be reduced a little with a better storage device.

I went with a 2TB HDD. Did a "pepsi" challenge with a 1TB SSD and on some games it loads a fews seconds faster and on others pretty much the same. So I decided to go for capacity. All comes down to personal choice really.

KatamariKun
19-01-2015, 04:56 PM
I don't believe the PS4 uses a real SATA 3 connection, so you will never get the full speed of most SSD's. From what I understand it shares the USB3 headers, hence why you still see some speed over a 2.5 HD, but not say, 500Mbp/s fast.

JORDS686
19-01-2015, 07:25 PM
I think I'll go with the 1TB Seagate SSHD. Its $125 at MSY so not too big an investment. I'm also planning to upgrade the HDD on my laptop - searching for some better performance there as well. Currently it has a 1TB 5400rpm HDD, I'm thinking I'll cut the capacity to 500GB so that a proper SSD drive is in affordable land. They're still $300ish but my laptop stinks and I'm hoping it will get a bit of a boost from a better hard drive. So sick of waiting for ages for Chrome to load or simple Word tasks to execute (this is a bit my fault - when I'm researching/writing an assignment for uni I often have 30-40+ tabs open in Chrome and 5-6 different Word documents plus an Excel spreadsheet or two along with 5 or 6 Adobe documents)

bigfatant
19-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Or put the laptop hdd in the PS4 and do a clean install with a new hdd for the laptop

Stonemull
20-01-2015, 12:29 AM
the laptop would be a far better proposition for the SSD.
I couldnt see much point on the PS4. a little quicker maybe but you really need size more than speed, lots of big games going to come out this year.

JORDS686
20-01-2015, 10:04 AM
the laptop would be a far better proposition for the SSD.
I couldnt see much point on the PS4. a little quicker maybe but you really need size more than speed, lots of big games going to come out this year.

I'll bet the next gran turismo instalment is 100GB+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murph_BTK
09-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Makes you wonder why the never started with a 1TB HDD. Most games have huge data storage needs plus all the add ons these days

guitar_god7007
10-02-2015, 12:36 AM
Makes you wonder why the never started with a 1TB HDD. Most games have huge data storage needs plus all the add ons these days

Yeah. I got a 500Gb console and thought it was heaps cause of my days on PS3, but games are like a 50Gb install on next gen

Sent using Tapatalk because my laptop is more than an arms length away and I'm a lazy sod