PDA

View Full Version : My PS3 coould be dying a slow death...

ANZACwarrior1976
06-12-2014, 10:53 AM
I hope someone here might be able to help out here, sometimes my PS3 just shuts off without warning, be playing fine, then, bang, turns off, and the red light flashes. It's an old fat PS3, and it has trouble ejecting discs too. I hit the eject button, you can hear it trying, but never produces a disc, i have to turn it off, and hold the eject and power button to charge the fan, and then the disc comes out. Might be time for an upgrade, or get a newer version PS3, since i have a heap of games already for it.

Any help, suggestions would be great.

Cheers,
ANZAC

artysig
06-12-2014, 11:06 AM
I hope someone here might be able to help out here, sometimes my PS3 just shuts off without warning, be playing fine, then, bang, turns off, and the red light flashes. It's an old fat PS3, and it has trouble ejecting discs too. I hit the eject button, you can hear it trying, but never produces a disc, i have to turn it off, and hold the eject and power button to charge the fan, and then the disc comes out. Might be time for an upgrade, or get a newer version PS3, since i have a heap of games already for it.

Any help, suggestions would be great.

Cheers,
ANZAC

Dude, your phat ps3 has served you well. The ps3 I have now is my 3rd one after the previous 2 have died. I'm not sure it is even worth the cost of a fix in your case. I think you are better off getting a new one.

Stonemull
06-12-2014, 11:55 AM
meh, everythings fixable ;)

eject issue is something mechanical obviously, might be up for a drive there but dunno, google it. is there rubber bits that fail or is it simply worn out.

other issue maybe power supply issue, maybe the cpu needs reballing. there are threads on here done by flux for fixing with a heat gun.

either way though, ps3's are going to be cheap secondhand, get one with a warranty if you still want to use the games you have invested in over the years.

Tallpaul77
06-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Get a PS4 instead. Worth waiting for if you need to save.

ANZACwarrior1976
06-12-2014, 06:24 PM
I think it's fully dead now, i turn it on, and it tells me it can not start, cant locate the software or something similar.

Taperooster
06-12-2014, 09:40 PM
RIP original fat. Forever remembered :(

Stonemull
07-12-2014, 11:40 AM
use by date .. passed.

ANZACwarrior1976
08-12-2014, 06:46 PM
yep, so now i'll have wait until after xmas etc and get another ps3 or maybe go for a ps4, but i have a heap of ps3 games.

SNKYwolf
09-12-2014, 11:37 AM
My fat ps3 plays up as well, whenever i quit a game it resets and i always wonder if it will turn back on or not XD but it lasted till ps4 release so all good and still ticking over XD

KatamariKun
10-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Have you tried the self cleaning function? http://youtu.be/THgb76CfVao
On a side note, I am on my third ps3 now, gen2 phat died (one without ps2 playback) and my Super Slim died within a year, so got a free replacement (known issue with the first batch of SS models).
I'll definately buy a spare ps3 or 2 in a year or so from now, have far too many games on the system I love.