PDA

View Full Version : Connecting ps3 to old monitor via VGA converter issues

A_ROCKET_RACCOON
27-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Here's an issue for the hardcore tech nerds.

Due to moving and being poor, my only option for being able to use the ps3 (without fighting with flatmates for the big tv) is to connect to an old spare monitor.

The monitor only accepts VGA input. So I've connected the HDMI output from the ps3 to a HDMI to VGA converter. That's all good, and I can see the output from the ps3 on the monitor.

The issue is that the monitor has a floating box that says "Input not supported" which is really odd, as I can see the picture output from the ps3.

I've tried messing with the ps settings, and resetting it, but the box won't go away.

Any ideas that don't involve buying a new monitor or TV?

guitar_god7007
27-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Here's an issue for the hardcore tech nerds.

Due to moving and being poor, my only option for being able to use the ps3 (without fighting with flatmates for the big tv) is to connect to an old spare monitor.

The monitor only accepts VGA input. So I've connected the HDMI output from the ps3 to a HDMI to VGA converter. That's all good, and I can see the output from the ps3 on the monitor.

The issue is that the monitor has a floating box that says "Input not supported" which is really odd, as I can see the picture output from the ps3.

I've tried messing with the ps settings, and resetting it, but the box won't go away.

Any ideas that don't involve buying a new monitor or TV?

I don;t exactly understand what you've done. But maybe it's because HDMI outputs at a high quality, and I dont think VGA does HD output. Thats just a guess. Probably wrong.. but whatever

A_ROCKET_RACCOON
27-02-2014, 09:55 PM
HDMI is a digital signal, whereas VGA is an analog signal. Thus the only way to covert a HDMI output to a VGA output is through a converter. This changes the signal from digital to analog.

The digital output from the ps3 shows up on the analog monitor, so the conversion process was a success.

The issue is that the floating box saying "Input not supported" won't go away, despite the fact that I am clearly getting a supported input format.

Maybe because the HDMI contains audio output as well, but as the monitor has no way of utilising this data, it's throwing an error?

RayTraced
27-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Have u tried googling it??

heheheh...

but seriously have u?

guitar_god7007
27-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Have you tried turning it off and on again.....

Sent from the AUF Forums app because I'm far too lazy to grab my laptop

A_ROCKET_RACCOON
27-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Have u tried googling it??

Yep. Google tells me it's a miracle that I got the video feed up and running in the first place.

Lots of references to the error box with a black screen, none to the error box with images.

Have you tried turning it off and on again.....

Yep. Both the monitor and the ps.

And I did that thing where you get the ps to standby then hold the power button till you hear a second beep.

RayTraced
28-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Have u tried the press left then x trick??

edit: what type of converter are u using? what brand etc

edit 2: have u tried lowering the resolution in the ps3?? maybe what GG saids is true. Try lowering the res (Im sure u can do it some where in the menus). might as well give it a shot

A_ROCKET_RACCOON
28-02-2014, 02:17 AM
Have u tried the press left then x trick??

edit: what type of converter are u using? what brand etc

edit 2: have u tried lowering the resolution in the ps3?? maybe what GG saids is true. Try lowering the res (Im sure u can do it some where in the menus). might as well give it a shot

Tried the left then x thing. No luck.

Using a Digitech HDMI - VGA/AV Component Converter.

Tried lowering the resolution. Also no luck.

My current thought on the matter is that nothing's going to work. The plan is now to return the converter, add a hundred bucks to the budget and go to the Harvey Norman seconds store to get an actual TV.

lima-alpha-88
28-02-2014, 04:57 AM
Tried the left then x thing. No luck.

Using a Digitech HDMI - VGA/AV Component Converter.

Tried lowering the resolution. Also no luck.

My current thought on the matter is that nothing's going to work. The plan is now to return the converter, add a hundred bucks to the budget and go to the Harvey Norman seconds store to get an actual TV.

As a fellow poor person, I would totally just hunt around Gumtree for a cheap small LCD.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

guitar_god7007
28-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Why don't you try using the old component (I think they're called) cables. Like the red white and yellow. It won't output in HD, but it's an old tv anyway. Probably if your going to have to use the tv for a while, look on gumtree or eBay for a cheap proper tv

Sent from the AUF Forums app because I'm far too lazy to grab my laptop

Stonemull
28-02-2014, 11:59 AM
odd one.
all I can think of is the DDC data is not being correctly read from the monitor and the timing is out of spec. The monitor is assuming the resolution correctly but is not particularly happy about it.

did find this ..

http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/47-02/HDMI_VGA.html

another converter may work better but I reckon you could find cheaper than HN perhaps.
I love my benq monitor on my PS3 compared to the TV it is now on (an aldi 45 inch), dynamic range in the blacks suck, backlight bleed is atrocious in the corners. and the crappy thing has no LED backlight brightness control.
The benq I got from a no longer open nerang store about $70 off by getting an ebay price first, he could not match it but knocked it down from $330 to $250.
ebay is where they dump the dead pixel ones..

Need a new sig

bigfatant
28-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Wait wait wait people.
I think you can first reset your HDMI settings before doing anything else.
I think you hold down the power button while turning in the PS3 and it will use the lowest setting and resolution for HDMI.
If you're lucky you can still see something

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using AUF Forums mobile app