PDA

View Full Version : Dead PS3 returns to Sony

Tank1252
13-08-2008, 08:24 PM
I hate to have to post this, but more & more dead PS3's are having to be returned to Blacktown, Sydney for exchange for a refurbed unit. Sony say allow 4-5 weeks for the exchange.
Here's a slightly amended pm i sent to Discobreakfast recently after he was the latest AUF member to be sadly afflicted with a dead ps3 (dead bluray laser in his case). Hopefully it will help any more members that have to ship thier PS3 to Sony...

"Ok mate, first phone the buggers.
They will get you to try a few pointless things, then agree it's stuffed & get you to send it to them. They'll send an email with a weblink to a site where you get a barcode to print out & take to the post office with your ps3 (nothing else need be sent). The barcode tells the post office staff to give you a box & packaging and postage to the sony address the barcode gives them, all at no charge to yourself.
I recommend paying for registered post on top @ around $4 i think.
Sony then send you an email when they receive it and they're gonna process it, and another email when it's ready to come back.
It took me 9 days to get the first email, and a further 14 days to get the 2nd email. Received the unit back a further 5 days later. 4 weeks exactly to the day.
I got a different ps3 (same 40gb though) and no extra leads/controllers or even any paperwork. I do know a guy who got a complete new system, contollers and all.
Apparently you also get a further 3 months added to the balance of your warranty, although as i said, i was sent no paperwork.
I recommend chasing Sony heaps by phone as nothing seems to happen at each stage until you chase them, & then things move pretty quickly. For instance when i rang them to check they had received my unit (after 9 days & registered post) they said they hadn't received it yet, only for me to receive the email saying it was being processed half an hour later, lol.
Anyway, good luck, contact me if you need any more help...
Sony's contact details are:
PlayStation Support Centre
Telephone: 1-300 365-911
Email: support [at] playstation.com [dot] au
Fax: 02 9450 9011
Opening hours: Mon to Fri 08.00  20.00, Sat 10.00  18.00, Sun Closed AEST (Calls to the PlayStation Support Centre are charged at the cost of a local
call)"

RayTraced
13-08-2008, 08:42 PM
how long is a ps3's life span in ur experience. I only got mine this year. do u reckon that an average ps3 should live for a year before having to send it to hospital??

acriu55
13-08-2008, 08:48 PM
good advice. ill keep this bookmarked incase i need this in the future. cheers

btw when i first read the title i thought your ps3 had died AGAIN lol

dutch47
13-08-2008, 08:50 PM
what do you do if you have no warranty left i got mine on release date over a year ago and that means it's outa warranty ???

Tank1252
13-08-2008, 09:03 PM
@ acriu: If it dies again i'm gonna...i'm gonna...er... i dunno, but i'll do something drastic! :axe: *:Hangman: *:minigun:
@ Ray: If you ask Sony, they'll say they should last a long time (definately more than a year) & have a failiure rate of less than 1%. I reckon using AUF members as a guide it's getting closer to 5%, with more being the newer 40gb models (i know your's wasn't steggs/disco). Your's will be ok Ray, i'm sure!
@ dutch: If you're out of warranty (ie over a year) they will still repair it at a flat repair rate of $315 (although some have been recently been quoted $365 - inflation?).
However, there have been plenty of occasions where Sony have exchanged out of warranty PS3s FOC as a goodwill gesture (read admittance of guilt!!) Worth a try!
:axe: There are also (cheaper?) third party repairers that i know of in Sydney & Brisbane.

discobreakfast
14-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Mien lasted from release date until now so year and a half roughly. Glad I bought the 5 year warranty

panda_fu
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
hey disco breakfast,how much was the warranty and where did you get it?

Natzke
06-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Panda ive noticed you've been posting in a lot of old threads recently which is cool but just don't expect a reply from ppl since they last posted like 2 months ago.

panda_fu
06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
yeah i realised that.i just need somthing to do seeing as *i dont have the sony untll this weekend

Natzke
06-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Is borrowing a PS3 from video-ezy/blockbuster possible?

panda_fu
06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
i doubt it but its away from me for a reason.i need to hit the books so i cant have any distractions.

Natzke
06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
LOL

SmajsII
06-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Beetronix google them ;)

ARandomNade
06-10-2008, 07:17 PM
or you could do what i did ans sell you 40gb PS3 for about $400 and buy a brand new one for $288 on top. gives full warranty that way

PS i had mine for nearly two years without any real issues.

spiltek
19-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Well guys my PS3 died tonight also (BLU Ray laser)......................

See ya's in 4 weeks......

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!

i'LL FIX THESE CUNTS TOMORROW!

Tank1252
19-02-2009, 10:20 PM
No good Spils.
Hassle them in your own special way (pretend they're yanks) and i reckon you'll get it back before you send it!
:axe:

acriu55
19-02-2009, 10:23 PM
no spils for 4 weeks?? :crybaby:

faaark bummer dude. hope u give em hell and make them return ur ps3 asap

kobeson
20-02-2009, 09:06 AM
sad to hear spils mate, hope the wait isn't too painful for ya...

had some games of w@w with your wife the other day, hope it wasn't the female jinx that did it!

;)

spiltek
20-02-2009, 12:50 PM
hahaha was my son kobes, she just responded to your message

kobeson
20-02-2009, 12:58 PM
oh it was ur son?

yeah, I pm'd son_of_spiltek (is that right?) and ur missus replied - was cool to see, he's only 6 is that right?

he kept jumping in my tank - i hogged 4 tanks in that game lol

spiltek
20-02-2009, 04:58 PM
hahahahaha yeah hes just turned 5 kobes.....

Maybe I can use him as the excuse as to why the PS3 isnt working, and lay some new ground rules.................

Miney
29-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Hahahaha. Come on now, that's not nice.

Jack (son_of_spiltek) is always playing W@W. You should teach him that it is shit Spiltek :)

epicnut
07-04-2009, 07:42 PM
lol sorry for bringing this back to life?

what can we do to help save our ps3's from the blu-ray laser dying? .. atm i've got an old ATX psu sitting on the table behind my ps3 with a few 80mm fans - one at the front blowing air in, and 2 at the back sucking hot air out.. is this bad? i only turn it on if i've had the ps3 on for ages (2-3 hours +)

Tank1252
07-04-2009, 09:00 PM
lol sorry for bringing this back to life?

what can we do to help save our ps3's from the blu-ray laser dying? .. atm i've got an old ATX psu sitting on the table behind my ps3 with a few 80mm fans - one at the front blowing air in, and 2 at the back sucking hot air out.. is this bad? i only turn it on if i've had the ps3 on for ages (2-3 hours +)

Jees, you're really worried about not having yr ps3!
I don't think this is bad for yr ps3, but i'd say it's probably overkill.

epicnut
07-04-2009, 09:53 PM
overkill is alright, just dont want it to harm my ps3.. guess im a bit paranoid cos one of my mates had to send his ps3 this week back to sony after owning it since 07 because the blu-ray device died and wouldnt read + the ps3 would overheat and so he had to sit around and wait for it to cool down to be able to turn it back on.. is this a big problem? i know its bad on xbox but havent heard much about overheating probs on ps3

kobeson
28-04-2009, 04:59 PM
fuck me, I've had mine for 16 months, never had any probs with it, have treated it like a baby, and it won't read discs.

I didn't get the extended warranty, all I can do is send it back and pay $315 right?

what a fucking lemon of a product.

YNWA01
28-04-2009, 05:04 PM
So yours is fkd Kobes!!!?? That happen today?

dutch47
28-04-2009, 05:06 PM
kobes contact beetronix first

kobeson
28-04-2009, 05:09 PM
yeah mate, just turned it on this arvo, won't read COD4 or Rock Band 2 or a Blu Ray disc :(

absolutely shattered - don't need a $300 bill on a fucking console...

what u talkin about dutchy? what do beetronix offer? can they help us vics also?

EDIT - rang beetronix, $170 + $20 roughly for postage. much better deal. still $200 more than I need to spend on the thing.

am so pissed off, I have over 100 Blu-Rays and I have hundreds of $ worth of games and peripherals etc, all going to waste with no PS3.

dunno what the fuck to do here... majorly pissed off, fucking lemon of a product...

spiltek
28-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Try contacting Sony first kobes. Because it's a known fault even without the warranty they might still fix it!!!!!

kobeson
28-04-2009, 05:25 PM
they are claiming it is not a known fault, and said the 4 months outside of warranty means didley squat.

"give us your fuxxing $315 you mug, and if it dies 6 months after that, give us another $315"

that is basically a summary of their stance on my predicament.

had I known it was gonna be a fuxxing lemon when I bought it, I would have taken that 4 year extended warranty for $80 that harvey norman offered me at the time.

R5169
28-04-2009, 05:49 PM
get onto the yellow pages or sumthin, as this is a problem effecting a shitload of ps3's lately so there will most likely be a heap of electronic joints fixing these things. sony are cunts, always have been go round em and you might get sumthing done for around 100ish

kobeson
28-04-2009, 05:56 PM
yeah mate, I might have to do that.

can't fucking believe how shit this all is, I have spent a couple grand on my PS3 including games and movies etc, and it dies 4 months outside warranty. never needed a warranty claim on my PS1 or PS2, or XBOX, or Nintendo or C64 or Atari lol

and 4 months outside of warranty they try to bend me over for it...

might go grab a trading post...

acriu55
28-04-2009, 06:01 PM
so far my ps3 has lasted longer then any other consoles i have owned. NFI why though as i dont take care of it very well. but i went through 3 ps2's and 2 ps1's. destroyed them beyond repair lol. but i have always had problems with all my game consoles so if mine died i wouldn't be to shocked

spiltek
28-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I can always call SONY for you?

SnEaKs91
28-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Take option A and let spiltek ring them lol
if that dosnt work go to a Sony Warhouse and smash it in the cunts face, im not sure where you live but if you live in NSW theres a warhouse in Parramatter.

kobeson
28-04-2009, 06:37 PM
haha I would love you to spils :)

I already called 1 person a c*nt and I don't think it will get me anywhere tho...

I wish there was some way I could threaten them with a complaint to get them to repair it for me... my wife's rego is due next month ($600), and another $700 bill, so I can really do without having to spend hundreds on repairing a farkin video game console...

EDIT - ok I need to borrow spils's mouth, and sneaks's fists lol

PS - there are no repairers in the trading post from what I can tell, beetronix or sony are my only options it seems...

Tank1252
28-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Crappyfreekingshittybollox news mate. See my pm.

kobeson
28-04-2009, 07:29 PM
thanks mate, got your pm.

have called sony 4 times now, and all 4 of them will not bend on the warranty claim, damn bastards!

they are in denial about there being a problem, and thus any void warranty is bad luck as far as they are concerned.

KLAZLA
28-04-2009, 07:41 PM
FARKN JIGGLYBITS!~! so many ded ps3s!!! i had mine since release date and have only touched the on/off and eject buttons on it, fukers covered in dust n all!!! shit ey *touches wood* hope it doesnt affect me!!

Heard on Black Current Affair the other night about death dates some products have where they are made to last only for a certain amount of time, seems most people have had theres for around 1.5 years when they fuk up strangely just after the 1 year warranty runs out... i think i went 5 year with mine, but fucked if i know where the cunt is...

KLAZLA
28-04-2009, 07:45 PM
<double post>

kobo robo a mate of mine is an electronics tech an the bastard makes all kinda things n sells em cheap ie lcds plasmas mp3s etc i can ask him if he knows how to or can fix the ps3 lasers, imo it would just mean replacing the laser which for him would be easy as gang rape at preschool and cheap as mineys makeup. If he can do this ill grab some prices n will be sure to let all members know.

Tank1252
28-04-2009, 07:47 PM
thanks mate, got your pm.

have called sony 4 times now, and all 4 of them will not bend on the warranty claim, damn bastards!

they are in denial about there being a problem, and thus any void warranty is bad luck as far as they are concerned.

As Stephen Fry famously said: Arse, pants, botty and double damn them to hell.

kobeson
28-04-2009, 07:50 PM
@KLA - sweet mate, lemme know what you can find out fer cher :)

PS - no pre-school-gang-rape tho plz lol

@Tank - yeah, zacly...
PS - Fry is a legend!

dutch47
28-04-2009, 08:41 PM
one other option is if it's just the blu ray laser yu can buy a replacement laser

here is one site that sells them
http://www.modsupplier.com/catalog/ps3-kes-400aaa-laser-lens-p-229.html

here is another place that repairs PS3
http://www.ausgamestore.com/ps3/ps3%20index.html

kobeson
28-04-2009, 08:46 PM
oh sweet, cheers mate will call them in the morning =)

MannequinScreams
28-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Mine sits flat now and its not as strong as it used to be pulling the disc in. Its a year old now.

Smajs
28-04-2009, 09:29 PM
To people who have been unlucky to have their PS3 laser die and don't want to pay Sony $300 or a private repair place such as beetronix $200 then there is another option and that is to buy a replacement lens and fix it themselves......my lens died & i was suprised that it wasn't as difficult as i'd imagined to fix,the replacement lens start at $90 i think or the whole replacement drive at $110 so with shipping it should be under $150. My PS3 has a thread showing step by step instructions http://www.myps3.com.au/Post.aspx?id=5522

kobeson
28-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey Smajs mate, what were the symptoms of your PS3?

From what I have heard from others, mine might be more than just a simple laser swap. Mine will not read Blu-Rays, Games, DVDs, or CDs. One guy at myps3 says that means there is potentially something more than just the laser damaged.

Can you remember what yours was doing/not doing?

Smajs
28-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Well the symptoms were it would not read any disc at all, DVD,BD,CD,Game , nothing, the small spinning transparent circle would come up at the top right of the screen but it would never load.....also the disc would spin inside if it doesn't spin at all then it would be the drive itself that is dead not just the lens.

spiltek
28-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Thats exactly what was wrong with mine kobes and Sony said quote" Its a common issue with the 40 gig model" unquote.............

spiltek
28-04-2009, 11:02 PM
You could fix it like smajs suggested. Once done, buy a parcel from Australia Post, shit in it, and send it to Sony!!

With Compliments.............

R5169
28-04-2009, 11:34 PM
kobe i had the exact same problem, wouldnt read anything and sony told me it was a common problem with the 40 gig aswell :s

kobeson
29-04-2009, 09:05 AM
haha I mite do that spils, the parcel part anyway...

they said it was "no good" but didn't mention it being a common problem... mite call them again...

definitely gonna shit in a box tho lol

MannequinScreams
29-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Shit and piss in the box and leave a note "Never forget that you were born between this".

spiltek
29-04-2009, 10:13 AM
haha I mite do that spils, the parcel part anyway...

they said it was "no good" but didn't mention it being a common problem... mite call them again...

definitely gonna shit in a box tho lol

I bought a pair of shoes from Ebay once!! After "months" of waiting for them to arrive, numerous abusive emails to the seller (Who stated he had sent them) and ongoing dispute resolution through paypal I received them (nearly 4 mths later). I shat in them, packed them up and returned to sender!

kobeson
29-04-2009, 11:40 AM
are you serious spils?

that is fkn funny, and pretty bad-ass!!!

Chiips
29-04-2009, 11:41 AM
FFS :D you shat in the pair of shoes you waited for 4 months?!??!?! LMAO

Shuda shat in an old pair of shoes and sent that back!

kobeson
29-04-2009, 11:58 AM
haha that does make more sense, but the look on the recipients face would be much more priceless the way spils did it I reckon, even if it meant he paid for no shoes lol

spiltek
29-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I regretted not saying to them when I sent them "I think theyre pre worn, they smell funny"

kobeson
29-04-2009, 12:30 PM
haha it's a classic story anyway, but that would have elevated it to 110% classic :D

MannequinScreams
29-04-2009, 02:21 PM
With all the anger Spils has Im guessing his shit was anything but solid!

Chiips
29-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Hmm, so what type according to the Bristol Chart?

http://nuclearfamily.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/bristol_stool_chart.png

Nissx
29-04-2009, 02:57 PM
I did a Type 3 and 4 this morning.

Chiips
29-04-2009, 02:58 PM
so you mean a 3.5

Nissx
29-04-2009, 02:59 PM
so you mean a 3.5
Yeah I guess. :D

Deckung
29-04-2009, 03:04 PM
My Hitachi 50inch HD plasma died after 16months, lucky I bought an extended warranty otherwise it would have cost me over $700 to get fixed... If I ever buy another ps3 or any electronic equipment, i get the extended warranty.

Has saved me a three times now. I had 5 years on a video cam, it died about 4 months before the warranty run out and even though I bought a newer type a year before I still had them fix it just because I could.

kobeson
29-04-2009, 03:35 PM
well I never get the warranties, coz over time I have noticed if I buy the top or 2nd top of the range model, then it never seems to fail.

my pioneer DVD player and pioneer 7.1 HT receiver, my panasonic 50" plasma, all other products I have had in the past were all in top 2-3 brands... Sony handycam, panasonic dDigital camera, old Sony TV, old Sony steroe... and I have never had a warranty claim before... so when it came to the PS3, I looked back on my PS1, PS2 & XBOX and realise the extended warranty might not be required...

never gonna trust Sony again - the past 10 years their service has been on the decline, I know on the audio side of things they aren't what they used to be, and now this shit with the PS3's dying all the time - figures must be a good 10-20% of AUFers now have had theirs die.

Blair_Au
18-05-2009, 10:56 AM
I got my ps3 4 christmas in 08, i had it until Australia Day and it died. that took 5 weeks to get back. i was happy playing then the laser broke in it. i had to take it back again, this was bs coz it took 8 weeks, so since christmas ive missed out on 13 weeks of it.