PDA

View Full Version : BF:BC -- Unable to connect to EA online -- the fix

CheekyChimpanzee
13-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Simple to diagnose.
Pretty simple to fix.

Diagnosis: *You are using a modem/router that has an inbuilt security mechanism/firewall that constricts port communications. *You need to create a rule to explicitly forward the required ports. *This *will* fix the problem. *

The Fix:

You need to forward some of your ports. *In particular:

UDP: 3658 (peer-to-peer connection); 6000 (voice over IP); 9555 (EA SPORTS Ticker)

TCP: 31400-31499 (lobby connection); 13505 (EA Messenger); 443 (DNAS authentication)

Don't freak out when you see UDP/TCP and a whole range of digits. *This is simple shit.

Firstly, look at your modem/router and check out what BRAND and MODEL it is... then go to this URL:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

- locate your router in the list and click it.

- The bottom of the intro paragraph should read:

If you do not see the program you are forwarding ports for, be sure to visit our Default Guide for this router

Click the word "default guide".

Follow the steps (it will have screenshots) in the guide to forward the necessary ports (listed above).

All up, it should take you no longer than 10minutes to do if you've never, ever fiddled with this stuff before. *

Personally, I'd never forwarded ports before or done any specific router configuration and using the default guide for my router i set it up in about 3 minutes. I shit ye not.

Get onto it. *Fix it. * Seeya on the killing fields.

KLAZLA
13-08-2008, 03:52 PM
sigh, i tried this mannn... i musnt have setup my static ip properly cos when you type it into your adress bar it dont work... ill try again tonight.

ARandomNade
13-08-2008, 04:22 PM
this may be an eay fix but unfortunately most of the ppeople playing this game will not have the knowledge or the patience to do this

EA should just fix their servers to suit all

CheekyChimpanzee
13-08-2008, 04:37 PM
this may be an eay fix but unfortunately most of the ppeople playing this game will not have the knowledge or the patience to do this

EA should just fix their servers to suit all

The servers are.

Just some firewall configurations are more hardcore than others.. there is no way to release a title that will accommodate all default firewall configurations of all devices on a saturated market. *

I agree - shit should just work out of the box - but this is waaaay out of EA's control.

Miney
13-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Cheers mate. There are ports that i have seen in the Manual that you get with the game as well. Not sure whether these are the same ones or not as i can't remember. Unlucky for the ones it didn't fix :(

KLAZLA
24-08-2008, 02:09 AM
ok ive done as requested sly and it doesnt work, altho i went back *into my modem settings and my changes were not there anymore... it says only click apply and it will save the settings, which it has obviously not :( plus they got my fukn modem thing wrong which is why iwas havn trouble the last time...

also my lan ip is different from my static, does this matter at all?

CheekyChimpanzee
25-08-2008, 02:04 PM
if they are not there when you go back, that is likely the cause.

I found for me it said, click apply and reboot your modem for changes to take effect.

Reality was, a reboot clears the changes... so i just click apply (and don't reboot) and it works.... maybe something similar?

---

I am not qualified to really answer the query as per setting the static ip etc.... do they have a support email on the site? *I think the whole static IP thing is to do with the age of your modem. *I noticed it is listed as supporting windows 98 and 2000/NT. * So, possibly a bit of a dinosaur.

KLAZLA
25-08-2008, 02:22 PM
ok, well i did reset it :S but i will have to check it out again and see if its all been removed, kinda a pain as i reboot my modem every now anda again if the net is fukn round, a REAL pain in the arse to simply play a game online...

yea had it for a few years now...

might just send a mega abusive email to ea instead :D

CheekyChimpanzee
25-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I also reboot now and then... the upside is you get quicker and quicker at resetting it when you need to!! :)

KLAZLA
25-08-2008, 02:41 PM
there is no upside of extra work you noob

Miney
25-08-2008, 04:42 PM
For the first time i haven't been able to get on now either. I used to go on first time every time but after trying the other night, i can't now. Not happy :p

CheekyChimpanzee
25-08-2008, 04:57 PM
i lol at "not happy" followed by a happy face. hahaha

yeah - i was the same.. could log on for ages and then couldn't... did the above to get the action back :)

Miney
25-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah i have already done that though so that's why i'm not happy *:) Lol.