PDA

View Full Version : PS3 won't read discs

discobreakfast
11-08-2008, 11:31 AM
ARRRGGGGGGG last night was playing Fifa and the game crashed. I reset the PS3 and everything works fine but it won't read any discs (blu ray or dvd) so now I'm shattered!

I'm guessing I have to get it sent off to Sony now for a long wait.

Any help on what I have to do? Do I have to ring up Sony and ask for like an order number before I send it? And do I have to do it through registered post to be safe?

Thanks guys :D

Natzke
11-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Hmm i've never had to send anything to Sony. I would have a quick look through some aussie forums on sending PS3's to Sony (and where) and also give them a call!
I would register it for sure.
BL on the error, i guess you've tried cleaning the disks with cleaning fluid etc.?

KLAZLA
11-08-2008, 12:02 PM
man thats gotta suck, the dreaded laser death :( seems to be happening alot atm...

hope you get it back soon man.

Snickersma
11-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Dude - thats my worst nightmare - have heard it a few times - most likely the BD laser has packed it in ...

Looks like you;ll have to wait for Sony to fix it... but yeah try clean discs etc + full reboots - not much more to do really.. *:vom:

kobeson
11-08-2008, 12:34 PM
another one bites the dust!!!!! *:Hangman:

that sux mate, yours is one of the original consoles isn't it? from early on?

hope the wait isn't too painful buddy :)

CheekyChimpanzee
11-08-2008, 01:06 PM
oh noes.

i hope they are quicker for you than my flatmate. *that happened to him. *he called sony. *they said the only resolution was to ship to them. *took forever and *a day - maybe 6 weeks or more before he got it back. :(

They I don't think they send you back the same one either... i think when one comes in, then they ship you back one they've just fixed... although somewhere in there it takes 6 weeks to do that. lol. *
So, if you have any personal data on there.. try to get that onto a thumb drive or something....

YNWA01
11-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Unlucky Disco dude, I noticed you going on and offline a bit last night when I was on... was that when it happened?

I'm sure wifey would be the only happy one if it happened to me. Good job I have Wii and Mario Kart as back up, oh, and a PS2 with Pro Evo 6. Phew!!!

discobreakfast
11-08-2008, 04:12 PM
hehe thanks guys...I haven't tried cleaning the disks yet but it crashed when I was playing a game so I presume the laser is a goner!

I'm lucky I don't spend time on the PS3 as much as I used to but I still watch plenty of movies on it so normal TV will suck for a while haha.

Yeah YNWA I was going on/off to see if clean reboots would do the trick! Such a hassle it is to get it fixed!

Kobeson: Yeah I got mine on release day 60gb model :S Surely they wont send me a 40gb model?

kobeson
11-08-2008, 04:28 PM
nah, they wouldn't do that - it's just that it means that nobody's console is safe, wether you bought it on release day, or yesterday!

pretty crap of sony hey!!!

gor289
11-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I still think the ps3 community is doing way better than the xbox3shizzle. *
Thier return rate alone was the reason why I baught a PS3 in the first place.
more of my mates have a 360 but more have spent time without it 2.

sorry to here bout the dramas disco!

CheekyChimpanzee
11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
well, i guess it is touted to be a cheap bluray player - and as such the laser must be budget i guess.

that said, i try not to watch too much on it that doesn't require DVD... my flatmate churns a few DVDs through mine and he churned heaps through his til it farked itself... maybe that's the thing? *play more games and less dvd's?? dunno.. i spose its all using the laser.

http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootdesigncontestentries/mmuhlenkamp/Sharks_with_Laser_Beams-w72pgv-d.jpg

discobreakfast
11-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeha thanks guys it sucks balls. Now I have to ring these SOny fuckers up and have to put up with their shit lol

Tank1252
11-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Disco, if you need any help, i've done this twice myself & helped about 8 others on this site...

Miney
11-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Ouch! That hurts mate. Have heard of similar problems. Looks like you're out of it for a while...

Tank1252
12-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Disco, sent you a pm,

Here are the details for anyone else that may need them:-
PlayStation Support Centre
Telephone: 1-300 365-911
Email: support [at] playstation.com [dot] au
Fax: 02 9450 9011
Website: www.au.playstation.com (http://www.au.playstation.com)
Opening hours: Mon to Fri 08.00  20.00, Sat 10.00  18.00, Sun Closed AEST (Calls to the PlayStation Support Centre are charged at the cost of a local call)

discobreakfast
13-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks a lot for the help guys :D I love you all LOL

Tank is a star he provided me with the most detailed information ever hehe cheers mate and included the contact details for Sony! :D