PDA

View Full Version : Changing PS3 Hard Drives

Wijome
28-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Okay so my PS3 has officially fucked itself, this being the fourth time I think.
It starts up and reads some discs but now has the tendency of freezing after 10 minutes and discs can only be removed with a screwdriver. SO...

If I was to buy a preowned PS3 at EB (too poor for a new one), would it be as simple as removing my hard drive and putting it in the new one to keep all my game saves and files? Or is there more to it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
(I already tried the blu-ray lense cleaning and that didnt seem to work)

TheHotHead
28-05-2013, 04:46 PM
I think it will try to reformat the hard drive as i've tried putting other hard drives into other PS3's before and I haven't been able to use the data. There might be a work around but I don't think so. Are you able to just load up your old PS3, copy the save files to a portable hard drive or a couple USB's then put them in the new PS3 and copy them over? Some can be locked but you can copy most over to another PS3 which you can continue playing on.

ike001
28-05-2013, 04:49 PM
No. Hard drives are system specific. System will automatically format a new drive upon first boot up. System backup/restore function must be used.

AStiffBreeze
28-05-2013, 05:39 PM
No. Hard drives are system specific. System will automatically format a new drive upon first boot up. System backup/restore function must be used.
Bingo. You'll have to use a separate external drive (which the PS3 will format) and then backup to that, then use the restore function on your new PS3. That process is very flakey though (it didn't work for me going from my fat to my slim, and in the end I gave up after ~40 hours of trying to restore).

You can buy a new optical drive for around $35 though, and then put that in your PS3. I did that recently (http://www.ausforces.com/showthread.php?6976-My-PS3-won-t-read-discs-what-now&p=367043&viewfull=1#post367043) with my slim.

oDsArE
02-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Are you able to swap the HDD to a bigger one? I was under the assumption that you wouldn't be able to get the ps OS onto the new drive?

My dad had dramas using externals with his ps3 and had to change the format of the drive, originally I think they come in NTFS, and you'll have to format to FAT 32 to make the ps read the external HDD. (Format it through a windows PC by right clicking properties and format, from memory)
If its in fat32 change it to NTFS after testing to see if the ps will read the HDD

Sent from my iPad using AUF Forums

ike001
02-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Are you able to swap the HDD to a bigger one? I was under the assumption that you wouldn't be able to get the ps OS onto the new drive?

My dad had dramas using externals with his ps3 and had to change the format of the drive, originally I think they come in NTFS, and you'll have to format to FAT 32 to make the ps read the external HDD. (Format it through a windows PC by right clicking properties and format, from memory)
If its in fat32 change it to NTFS after testing to see if the ps will read the HDD

1. You can install a larger drive with ease. It will format the drive and install the operating system it self all you will need to do is have the current firmware available on a USB.
2. Ps3 system only reads the Fat32 format

oDsArE
05-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks for clarifying mate

Sent from my iPad using AUF Forums