PDA

View Full Version : PS3 backup & Restore

murph_BTK
15-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi all AUF tech heads

I'm in the process of getting myself a new 500gb slim PS3. I was wanting to know if any of you knew a "easy" way to A: back up my current PS3 files (I'm mainly wanting all my gaming info, DLC trophies etc) not really worried about the movies, music & photos etc

If someone could/would take the time and do a step by step (as I'm not tech savvy) on backing up the PS3 and then transferring onto a new PS3
I've googled it and watched numerous YouTube clips but. I'm still not 100% sure

Thanks guys , gals & whatever Nurf is :p

Locoevo
15-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Can't you hook the 2 ps3s via an Ethernet cable and transfer them directly?

This post is Locoevo approved

Rob_Cliffeild
15-03-2013, 01:29 PM
By memory a USB stick or hdd will do it. Never had a second ps3 to test a network transfer.

Where is Mr 4 ps3's aka Stiffy?

Tapatalk stole my Dogtags

Locoevo
15-03-2013, 01:31 PM
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html]Data transfer manual.

This post is Locoevo approved

RayTraced
15-03-2013, 01:32 PM
breeze would know. Oh while were on the subject (kind of) im just wondering if its possible to transfer my old fat ps3 hard drive to a new 500GB slim ps3?

can i do that and keep everything that was on it?
I dont want to have to re-download, aaaaallll the downloads that I already have on there. cause that would kill me.

EDIT:

By memory a USB stick or hdd will do it. Never had a second ps3 to test a network transfer.
ooooo so do u think an external hdd would work rob???

mmmgilly
15-03-2013, 01:42 PM
I tried the transfer thing loco, gave up after 48 hours and never getting passed 10%

Rob_Cliffeild
15-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Correct I have backed up some save data using an ntfs stick

RayTraced
15-03-2013, 02:04 PM
how about dlc?

Smajs
15-03-2013, 02:08 PM
If i remember correctly from when my PS3 fat got YLOD.

I had luckily backed up all the data (you should if possible delete any media to speed up the process considerably, i had my tv/movies/music/photos backed up to another hdd)

When you first boot up the new PS3 go to back up utility and hit restore .

Choose the back up location , ie the external/usb hdd.

Then you should have your old data on the new HDD.

The data transfer is supposed to be a much simpler process though.

Some copy protected saves will not copy across, i deleted game installs as well since it is easier to just install them fresh.

Step 1 - back up to usb/external hdd.

Step 2 boot up new ps3 , go to back up and select restore.

Step 3 . wait , play with the missus's goodies

step 4 . enjoy shiny new ps3 with old ps3 stuff inside.

murph_BTK
15-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Correct I have backed up some save data using an ntfs stick

Hasn't it got to be a fat32 formatted USB or HDD. Not NTFS?
I'm in the same boat Ray with wanting to do the same transfer stuff..
@ loco I'm not sure about hooking up the two systems and file share. I will investigate it :)

Rob_Cliffeild
15-03-2013, 02:13 PM
@ loco I'm not sure about hooking up the two systems and file share. I will investigate it :)

Fat32 is for girls real men use ntfs.

NA I use tools to format my sticks to ntfs so I can have more freedom with data. Seems to work fine for me

TheHotHead
15-03-2013, 02:13 PM
how about dlc?

DLC is saved to the PSN ID so as long as you deactivate the account on your older PS3 once your done, you can activate it on the new one and grab the DLC.

RayTraced
15-03-2013, 02:29 PM
i dont want to have to re-downlaod it though!! >_<

which is why i hope if i get a external hdd i can transfer all that stuff.

but thanks HH, that will probably help me out when i go to my new ps3. other wise i would of forgotten all about the whole activation thing. i didnt even know that was there

I had luckily backed up all the data (you should if possible delete any media to speed up the process considerably, i had my tv/movies/music/photos backed up to another hdd)

Some copy protected saves will not copy across, i deleted game installs as well since it is easier to just install them fresh.

Thanks Smajs!!
+rep

murph_BTK
16-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks mr smjas!! I will do this Monday as thanks when I pick up my new PS3

ike001
16-03-2013, 06:40 PM
I have had my fare share of PS3's die on me in the past 3 years ( 2 x 60gb and 2x 120Gb )
Both the versions i had , had there HDD changed for a large 7200rpm -500 + gbs drives.

A ps3's HDD is machine Dedicated - so i couldn't remove from a dead one and keep the gear on it when installed into new Machine , Machine Auto Formats as part of start-up.
As my machines died durig game play due to - YLOD amongst other hardware failures , i didn't have the chance to Backup to most recent Image of the HDD. suffered a couple times till i learnt my lesson. I AM A LIL SLOW THEY SAY !

I backup once a f/night now, religiously !

AStiffBreeze
16-03-2013, 06:54 PM

Unless they made changes in one of the later firmwares (quite possible), that won't work.

The Backup/Restre utility will only work for the same PS3. It's intended for use when your Ps3's internal HDD dies, or if you accidentally delete seomthing form the internal HDD, or when you upgrade the internal HDD drive. If you try to restore one of those backups to a different PS3 it will ignore the majority of the data and only copy things which you could have done manually yourself anyway (i.e. anything you could have chose to copy to an external drive manually such as audio, video, non-protected save games, etc).

To copy the other data to another machine, you're supposed to use the Data Transfer Utility. This will (in theory) create new license files for downloaded content so that it can work on the new PS3. The downside to this is that the transfer will accordingly take forever and a fucking day, if it works at all. In my case, after about 3 attempts taking up the better part of a week, I just gave up and copied my shit across myself manually, and redownloaded the other stuff from the PSN.

Yes, it has to be FAT32 (the PS3 can't read or write to NTFS formatted drives). The only exception to this is on custom firmware PS3s (where NTFS support has been added by the community).

The data transfer utility actually guides you through the whole process Murph (it tells you what to hook up and when). All you need is a crossover cable from memory.

how about dlc?
The Data Transfer Utility is the only way to copy your downloaded content across (Backup/Restore to a different PS3 won't do this). You just have to hope that it actually works.

RayTraced
16-03-2013, 06:55 PM
A ps3's HDD is machine Dedicated - so i couldn't remove from a dead one and keep the gear on it when installed into new Machine , Machine Auto Formats as part of start-up.

thanks for that ike.

plus rep for u too

The Data Transfer Utility is the only way to copy your downloaded content across (Backup/Restore to a different PS3 won't do this). You just have to hope that it actually works.

aaaaaaaaaahhh, son of a bitch!!

murph_BTK
16-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Stiff you effing rock mate thank you

Sent from my Samsung galaxy 4S

Smajs
16-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Oh shit , i thought i had remembered it correctly but i see i did not , i have to apologize for the incorrect information, hope nobody lost data because of my stupidity .

So many years ago i had to do it after the YLOD and i did not remember correctly .Once again i am sorry.

Feels like the time i lent a mate the wrong paper to study before a test...i hang my head in shame.
Hopefully PS4 and the cloud will make any future process like this easier.

As punishment i shall forgo sex for 1 week (coincidentally this week my gf is out of town , but it still counts.)

murph_BTK
19-03-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm in the process of setting up the new PS3 and when it comes time to transfer my data from old to new it's saying
"Trophies cannot be transferred during this operation
Rouse trophies on the other (new) ps3 you must sync the trophy info on this system (old) with the server before transferring data!
* I understand all that**
It says go to Game> trophy collection and select sync with server.

I don't have a trophy collection under my Game header

What is it I'm doing wrong :(

HEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP

PeskyPossum
19-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Isn't the trophy list under a different section now?

murph_BTK
19-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Here is my options

PeskyPossum
19-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Try under the PlayStation icon header

murph_BTK
19-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Try under the PlayStation icon header

Thank you matey I will look now

murph_BTK
19-03-2013, 01:29 PM
You rock possum it was there and is done! My shout for a beer I insist

* stress levels are back to normal now :)

PeskyPossum
19-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Your welcome Murphy, any time :)
PS. I would rather a cider if that's OK? :D

murph_BTK
19-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Your welcome Murphy, any time :)
PS. I would rather a cider if that's OK? :D

It's a deal... :)

I have 2hrs & 53mins remaining - knowing my luck I will get the storm of the century and power will go out :(

murph_BTK
27-03-2013, 11:21 PM
** couldn't find a thread nor wanted to make a new one on such a non issue!
But does anyone have a PS3 SLIM power supply (spare) and wants too sell. I work away from home and want to take my PS3 away but CBF pulling apart cables etc, I've checked eBay but no luck. I was hoping someone here might have kept theirs.

nurfman
29-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Just start fresh you nutman , what's on there you want to keep

murph_BTK
29-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Just start fresh you nutman , what's on there you want to keep

I'm working away and want to take my PS3 but don't wanna take leads etc so I was hoping someone out there might have a old slim power cord their not using.

nurfman
29-03-2013, 08:31 PM
eBay mate I ended up buying a super slim , stays up here for the most part and updates I do via USB game updates I slam it in ye olde work bag and do it at home

Rob_Cliffeild
29-03-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm working away and want to take my PS3 but don't wanna take leads etc so I was hoping someone out there might have a old slim power cord their not using.

The figure 8 240v cable? Might be an idea to check good old dickys or bigw