PDA

View Full Version : Multiple PS3's on the same network

forcefullcuddles
31-07-2012, 12:58 PM
So I've finally managed to convert my two housemates over to BF3, but every time the three of us try to play in the same game, one or two of us is kicked and are unable to join again.
It's happening pretty much every day we try and play together. It especially sucks for me if I'm playing on the AUF server and they join on me, because I get kicked and can't get back in.

I've tried using each PS3's MAC address to assign an IP address for each PS3, but that hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any knowledge or ideas about this? Is it a common problem?

Oh, we're on Telstra ultimate cable, and we all access the Internet wirelessly .

Tapatalk Livin'

Scout___AUS
31-07-2012, 01:08 PM
New router? the one that a lot of the AUFers run?

You can also fix the ip of each ps3 on the ps3 and router side. and put those three ips into DMZ

mudman05
31-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Definetly need to be set up for DMZ for BF3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AStiffBreeze
31-07-2012, 01:58 PM
You can also fix the ip of each ps3 on the ps3 and router side. and put those three ips into DMZ

Definetly need to be set up for DMZ for BF3
The DMZ is for a single IP address only, so won't help with multiple devices unfortunately.

There are two basic solutions:
The proper solution is to get multiple public IP addresses from your ISP and then get a high end router that can properly deal with them and assign each PS3 to a DMZ for each of those public IP addresses (or equivalent). This will cost you extra money and not all ISPs will offer it, and I'm not sure which routers on the market actually support it.
The duct tape solution is to turn off static IP addresses for the PS3s, and set all of them to use UPnP (and enable that on the router). Then hope for the best. This assumes that you have a router that has a good UPnP implementation. It's sure as hell not perfect but is probably your best bet.

French and Sarum might also be able to offer some insight on this topic in terms of what works for them.

Scout___AUS
31-07-2012, 02:08 PM
You cant DMZ multiple ips?

I've never tried it but it looks like you can in the router firmware...

AStiffBreeze
31-07-2012, 02:34 PM
You cant DMZ multiple ips?

I've never tried it but it looks like you can in the router firmware...
You can't DMZ multiple private IPs. If you apply to your ISP to get multiple public IPs then you can have multiple machines in a DMZ, but it'll still only be one private IP address per DMZ (there will just be one DMZ per public IP address).

forcefullcuddles
31-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the advice, I've turned on uPnP on both the router and the PS3's, and have each of the ps3's on static IP's, while everything else in the house is still on whatever IP the router assigns them.
I gave this set up a whirl and was kicked as soon as my housemate tried to join.

Have I done the things you suggested stiffy? I think I have but I'm a bit unsure.
Perhaps calling Telstra and asking for 3 public IP's and then placing them in DMZ is my only option.
I've got a netgear 3100 cable modem/router, I wonder if it can handle the task...

Tapatalk Livin'

AStiffBreeze
31-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, I've turned on uPnP on both the router and the PS3's, and have each of the ps3's on static IP's, while everything else in the house is still on whatever IP the router assigns them.
I gave this set up a whirl and was kicked as soon as my housemate tried to join.

Have I done the things you suggested stiffy? I think I have but I'm a bit unsure.
Perhaps calling Telstra and asking for 3 public IP's and then placing them in DMZ is my only option.
I've got a netgear 3100 cable modem/router, I wonder if it can handle the task...

Tapatalk Livin'

If you're going the UPnP route then take the PS3's off static addresses (i.e. set them back to DHCP) and try it.

forcefullcuddles
31-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Oh ok, I'll take them off static IP's and give that a try.
Many thanks!

Tapatalk Livin'

Fluxburner
31-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Hey Guys just thought I'd post what I do with both of mine. I run the primary PS3 in the DMZ both have static IP addresses and the rest are on a closed range DHCP. I then have the other PS3 using port forwarding and forward all the ports for that PS3 with UPnP on and they can both function online together.But when I have tried to connect to BF3 servers like you say I too get the same problem and it will kick the 1st player off the BF3 server and you cannot log back into it? :(
So I tried to work it out as well but could not so gave up.
I too am interested in an answer to this topic as I am at a loss how to get this too work also..........

guitar_god7007
31-07-2012, 07:58 PM
To try get my battlefield to run better ( and possibly GTA ). I tried putting my PS3 into a DMZ. I got it a static IP and all. But I get onto the router wwebsite thing and cant find DMZ. I use a Thompson TG782T. Anyone know anything about DMZ on that?

nurfman
31-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I run a billion 7800NL(i think but buy a billion like stiffys) and ADSL2+ haven't touched my router and i run 3 PS3,s online as well as one kid playing club penguin on the PC (2 on BF3 and 1 on COD Zombies).....You need two things a half decent connection and a half decent modem ......then start nerding round with your DMZ

forcefullcuddles
31-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Do you have any issues playing in the same BF3 game with all 3 ps3's? Being on cable I think we're fairly limited with what modem we use, though ours is fairly new.

Tapatalk Livin'

Fluxburner
01-08-2012, 12:39 AM
I can't get ADSL 2+ speeds at ours, so prob the main problem for me, I would think then as I have the Billion 7800N which has all the bells an whistles, just not enough puff from my exchange. Sad very Sad :(

forcefullcuddles
01-08-2012, 09:12 AM
That sucks! Our connection definitely is strong enough, all three of us can play at the same time.
I'm going to try and get public IP's from Telstra today..

Tapatalk Livin'

Fluxburner
01-08-2012, 12:11 PM
It does suck mate it's been a sore point for some years this house is a relatively new suburb like 7 yrs old tops & they only put in copper Telstra knew this and obviously now it's double dipping for them with the Update as they were only ever originally contracted by the gov to supply infrastructure that could supply 1.5mbps / 256 it pains me. I am moving as soon as I can get enough coin together to buy another house and it will have to be need 2 be on fibre.
Also the billion is prob 1 of the best router out it is set up for a cable connection also if required.

Just out of interest what's your NAT type mate?

Sent from my iPhone using You Mum

forcefullcuddles
01-08-2012, 12:30 PM
My NAT type is NAT 2, I'm fairly sure that's the one I want... I have a few friends who have experienced similar problems, does it have something to do with anti-cheat software that the games (bf3,cod) use?

Tapatalk Livin'

French_Maiden
01-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Sarum and I had this problem on BFBC2. Whichever one of us was in the game first had to be in the game menu otherwise they would be kicked.

I can't remember the solution though. Sarum thinks the problem just stopped happening and it doesn't happen for us in BF3. I thought it had to do with putting them in DMZ though. Sorry, I'm actually no help at all :S

Sent from the battlefield

forcefullcuddles
01-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for your help, hopefully can try fiddling with DMZ when I get home tonight

Tapatalk Livin'

Fluxburner
01-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Funny really cause there must be a solution for us if Nurf can run 3 PS3's playing BF3 on separate accounts without glitch then obviously it can work.

Nurf answers please mate, and no I don't sleep in a woombie so don't ask. Why I say that as I am expecting abstract but am wanting Concrete mate ...please. :D

AStiffBreeze
02-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Funny really cause there must be a solution for us if Nurf can run 3 PS3's playing BF3 on separate accounts without glitch then obviously it can work.

Nurf answers please mate, and no I don't sleep in a woombie so don't ask. Why I say that as I am expecting abstract but am wanting Concrete mate ...please. :D

Nurf's using the duct tape solution :)

It comes down to how well your router implements UPnP.

Posted from my phone

forcefullcuddles
02-08-2012, 09:07 AM
It would appear that my router implements it quite badly

I also discovered that Telstra cable (which i have) won't work with any modem other than a Telstra provided one... Seems like I'm just going to have to deal with my problems. Thanks everyone, especially stiffy, for your advice.

Tapatalk Livin'