PDA

View Full Version : My PS3 won't read discs - what now?

AStiffBreeze
15-06-2012, 01:30 PM
A few people have recently reported that their PS3's were having problems reading discs so I thought it might be useful to post some solutions in one spot that could be easily referenced. If your Ps3 is under warranty, then obviously get it fixed under warranty. However, if your warranty has expired then you have a few options such as paying Sony to fix it, paying another company like Beetronix (http://www.beetronix.com.au/) to fix it, or you might consider trying to fix the problem yourself, depending on your level of expertise and how comfortable you feel working with electronics. I'm not a PS3 repair expert so what I say here is based on my understanding only.

How the PS3 reads discs

The disc loading mechnism accepts the disc and moves it into place.
The 'deck' (containing the laser and spindle) is then brought up to sit underneath the disc (this can be heard as a 'crunching' type sound).
The laser is illuminated and the disc is spun up
The laser is focused on the disc and begins reading it
Once you press eject the same things happen in reverse

COMMON PROBLEMS

Debris on the lens
The PS3 Blu-ray drive has both red and blue lasers for reading CDs/DVDs and Blu-rays respectively. Beyond that, the laser will also be focused differently depending on whether it is reading a single layer or dual layer disc. The most common problem in terms of reading discs is simply foreign objects (usually dust) on the lens which prevents the laser from focusing properly. Blue lasers are far more sensitive to problems with laser focus, so commonly this problem will manifest itself in the PS3 being able to read CDs/DVDs but not Blu-rays. However, the debris might affect only a certain focal length so it might be that you can read single layer Blu-rays (e.g. most games) but not dual layer Blu-rays (some movies), etc. Once there is debris against the lens often more crud will collect against it so the problem will often worsen over time. The solution to debris on the lens is simply to very gently clean the lens with isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol, and you generally want higher than 90% alcohol) on a cotton bud. The tricky part is obviously disassembling your PS3 so that you can access the Blu-ray lens.

These videos give you an overview of the process:

PS3 SLIM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXrEyE3OwbQ

PS3 FAT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSYYmYXgVl0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSwimBxV74

Laser is burnt out
If the laser is burnt out then you need to replace it. You can buy a laser yourself from places like Quantronics (http://quantronics.com.au/) but generally I'd just advise people to pay someone else to replace the laser for you.

Deck isn't rising up
If you put a disc in and hear the soft mechanical whining of the loader mecahnism accepting it, but there's no 'crunching' sound immediately afterwards or when you press eject, then the deck isn't rising up to read the disc. There are some brackets that run along the sides inside the Blu-ray drive which control this process and which can sometimes get stuck; fixing this problem is usually fairly easy once you can get access to the brackets, but you need to disassemble the Blu-ray drive itself to get to that point. If you're feeling up to it then there are some full disassembly vids available on youtube.

magpieonya
15-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Something of relevance here too, your bluray reader will last alot longer and do a better job if you only put clean cds into it.

Here are a few methods to try. I usually opt for the up and down wipe on your nice clean shirt but here are a few DIY methods you might not have been aware of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS2NMeUBArs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f01IkRSDdvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGbKXzm0lI&feature=fvwp&NR=1

nurfman
15-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks Stiff, I am trained in electronics (well i did an advanced electronics in the navy) , recently my kids PS3 began to have problems. The problem as such was when a disk was installed into the drive it would spin up and then more often then not make the crunching noise then try and spin up again which never worked. I did notice however that if i persisted the disk would eventually work and work fine until the disk was ejected or the PS3 was shutdown. My son recently bought his own PS3 and so this "broken" PS3 was given to the younger kids.....and that where the problem arises i think...My 5yo called Cooper used to consistently load disks that were filthy i mean terrible to the stage i would have to wash them , don’t get me wrong in nurfland we care for our toys but games like Toy story 3 he would play during the day with a mother who knows nor cares nothing about PS3. Id clean the disks to perfect, sometimes i pull BFBC2 out to play and discover filthy paw prints all over it anyway i digress.

I have just purchased a tool kit off eBay that will allow me to access all consoles/phones and laptops ......it cost $27 (possibly a bit wasteful for a few T series drivers but there’s a few things i wanted) Ive also been studying YouTube and the forums trying to see what fault my PS3 has while i patiently await my wanky toolset to arrive from China. I had been tossing up that the disk drive or the blue Ray were faulty and so yesterday i decided my best course of action was to purchase a disk drive that has been refurbished for my 120G slim from a guy in the UK for around $90 delivered from the UK (To get one in Aust is about $150). But now in hindsight and thinking about all the shit that laser has had to deal with over its life i think ill probably try and clean the lens as a first option and keep the disk drive as a spare part (as in nurfland we run two compatible PS3s with it) If the clean doesn’t work ill disassemble the old drive because you need the circuit card from it to operate the refurbished drive (or in techo talk the cct card is married to the mother board)

Again i must stress when you buy a PS3 consider taking the extra warranty because its piece of mind secondly if your semi intelligent and above all a bit patient then most repairs can be conducted by just you tubing the relevant tutorial (as your PS3 isn’t under warranty) Anyway I still haven’t opened my PS3 because i need a T8/10 screw bit but I’ll be buying some Isopropyl during the week and waiting. Ill post back with a conclusion to this very exciting tale of intrigue

AStiffBreeze
15-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks Stiff, I am trained in electronics (well i did an advanced electronics in the navy) , recently my kids PS3 began to have problems. The problem as such was when a disk was installed into the drive it would spin up and then more often then not make the crunching noise then try and spin up again which never worked. I did notice however that if i persisted the disk would eventually work and work fine until the disk was ejected or the PS3 was shutdown. My son recently bought his own PS3 and so this "broken" PS3 was given to the younger kids.....and that where the problem arises i think...My 5yo called Cooper used to consistently load disks that were filthy i mean terrible to the stage i would have to wash them , don’t get me wrong in nurfland we care for our toys but games like Toy story 3 he would play during the day with a mother who knows nor cares nothing about PS3. Id clean the disks to perfect, sometimes i pull BFBC2 out to play and discover filthy paw prints all over it anyway i digress.

I have just purchased a tool kit off eBay that will allow me to access all consoles/phones and laptops ......it cost $27 (possibly a bit wasteful for a few T series drivers but there’s a few things i wanted) Ive also been studying YouTube and the forums trying to see what fault my PS3 has while i patiently await my wanky toolset to arrive from China. I had been tossing up that the disk drive or the blue Ray were faulty and so yesterday i decided my best course of action was to purchase a disk drive that has been refurbished for my 120G slim from a guy in the UK for around $90 delivered from the UK (To get one in Aust is about $150). But now in hindsight and thinking about all the shit that laser has had to deal with over its life i think ill probably try and clean the lens as a first option and keep the disk drive as a spare part (as in nurfland we run two compatible PS3s with it) If the clean doesn’t work ill disassemble the old drive because you need the circuit card from it to operate the refurbished drive (or in techo talk the cct card is married to the mother board)

Again i must stress when you buy a PS3 consider taking the extra warranty because its piece of mind secondly if your semi intelligent and above all a bit patient then most repairs can be conducted by just you tubing the relevant tutorial (as your PS3 isn’t under warranty) Anyway I still haven’t opened my PS3 because i need a T8/10 screw bit but I’ll be buying some Isopropyl during the week and waiting. Ill post back with a conclusion to this very exciting tale of intrigue
Yeah Torx screwdrivers always cost a bloody fortune, which is why they're used to secure stuff that really shouldn't be opened by the average joe I guess :D

In terms of the second crunching noise, it's the PS3 assuming that the focus issues might be related to the disc not being seated properly and trying to reseat it and then bring the deck back up. It generally means it's just a dirty lens.

nurfman
15-06-2012, 03:06 PM
This calls for a http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/turbomammoth/files/2012/04/doh1.jpg

AStiffBreeze
15-06-2012, 04:00 PM
This calls for a http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/turbomammoth/files/2012/04/doh1.jpg

lol nurf, I posted a video in the YLOD thread (where you first brought up the problem) showing a guy with the exact problem you have, and explaining that he fixed it by cleaning the lens! Not to worry, it's nice to have a spare anyway.

nurfman
15-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Lol being inspired (in work time) i just went to repco and bought a $20 Torx kit including all the Phillips heads i need and a pretty cool driver. On the way home im going to the chemist to buy some swabs of isapropyl alchahol (as they dont leave lint) ........tonight my friends we ride. If i do get her going then i may simply go on ebay/gumtree and buy a fucked PS3 slim and try and fix that

Smajs
15-06-2012, 04:42 PM
The history of Playstation and disc issues is well known , much as i'd hate it to happen but a future machine without a disc drive would solve a lot of issues.

I remember with my fatty PS3 once the lens failed the guy who repaired it said the use of DVD in it seems to add more wear and tear so i rip mine now and only watch bluray....also they have a bluray lens cleaning disc with supposedly space age technology of air holes that spin and cause the lens to be cleaned , just don't use DVD cleaning disc with those little brushes on them , i learned the hard way.

DELICIOUS27
15-06-2012, 06:57 PM
My old ps3 had a problem like that. I could get discs to load by flipping my ps3 so the the front was facing up.

nurfman
15-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Well good news ive fixed it , stiffys video was for a newer type slim ...i had to remove power supply and blu ray ....but i learned heaps about the system and feel confident i can repair my slim .....if the drive shits itself i will have a spare....thanks stiffy

Oh i dropped LBP2 is and boom fired straight up.....for now

JORDS686
15-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I have this problem, this thread has convinced me that it is just a dirty lens. Question is, do you think it will clean out the shit off the lens if I just buy a can of air and push the nozzle into the disc opening and unload half a can?

I am a lazy bastard and this method sounds like a thirty second job compared to two hours toiling over Torx screwdrivers.

Btw, 4,000th post :)

Joshizzled
15-06-2012, 10:12 PM
One of my ps3s has this problem too. Wouldn't read my game of thrones

nurfman
15-06-2012, 10:18 PM
I have this problem, this thread has convinced me that it is just a dirty lens. Question is, do you think it will clean out the shit off the lens if I just buy a can of air and push the nozzle into the disc opening and unload half a can?

I am a lazy bastard and this method sounds like a thirty second job compared to two hours toiling over Torx screwdrivers.

Btw, 4,000th post :)

You can buy one T8 for 2 bucks on eBay repco sell kits for $13 , also a size 1 phillips head. Jords i dont think air will work ....I guess a film of grease gets on the lense I used a swab from the chemist ....it's isopropyl alcohol and won't leave lint cost 30cents for 5 I used 1

JORDS686
15-06-2012, 10:21 PM
You can buy one T8 for 2 bucks on eBay , also a size 1 phillips head. Jords i dont think air will work ....I guess a film of grease gets on the lense I used a swab from the chemist ....it's isopropyl alcohol and won't leave lint cost 30cents for 5 I used 1

2 bucks? Rip off. I got one for my iphone for 1 dollar, including postage!

I might look in to it over the next few weeks. Seems aq fairly easy issue to fix.

mmmgilly
15-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Well I went out and bought a new 320gig slim today cause I cbf fixing it or getting it sent away, and I was pretty damn adamant it wasn't just dirty. It's been getting progressivly worse for a while, think I may have caused by putting in a scratched disc (two 10mm scratches going outwards from the centre, don't judge me, it's the only disc of mine that has ever been scratched) I was going to need to upgrade HDD's soon anyway (12 gig out of 120 left) so I figured why not get a new one in a bundle with a game and extra controller for less than I got the original for.

nurfman
16-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Wanna sell it mmmmmmmmmmmmgilly I want a fucked machine so I can do Dr Frankenstein shit to it

mmmgilly
16-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Wanna sell it mmmmmmmmmmmmgilly I want a fucked machine so I can do Dr Frankenstein shit to it

Once I get all my data and shit sorted nurf, I'll send it out to you. It's not worth anything anymore as It's been replaced. I wouldn't be suprised if it's just dirty, but I figured since it plays non blu-rays fine I'd just replace it (not a fan of getting my wallet and sanity raped by repairers), I was needing to do it soon anyway as the HDD was running low.

nurfman
16-06-2012, 03:33 PM
thanks mate BUT free is not fair to you so If i get her running ill give you $100 or so, ill also pay for if thats acceptable. Basically i want to gut it and reassemble to learn a few more things ....then i can repair them for others via gumtree and so forth

Wijome
01-07-2012, 11:54 PM
My PS3 will read most games, but sometimes it just makes this quiet ticking noise and wont read them. It also wont play any blu-ray discs which I'm getting sick of.
What I was wondering is if there's people you can pay to do this, for those of us who shouldn't be trusted with tools. If so, how much would they generally charge?

nurfman
02-07-2012, 12:29 AM
My advice try and find a Blueray cleaning disk and see what happens

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLU-RAY-HD-DVD-Player-Laser-Lens-Cleaner-2-Brush-System-/270790368758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f0c5d1df6#ht_3542wt_1035

Smajs
02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
When my fat stopped reading i got these guys to fix it http://www.beetronix.com.au/ i think it was $100 or so i can't remember but they can repair it in your home in about 15 mins or they can ship it.

They worked out good for me but i'm sure there are other repairers around as well.

EDIT : I think the in home repair is only for the metro area not sure.

AStiffBreeze
02-07-2012, 01:46 PM
When my fat stopped reading i got these guys to fix it http://www.beetronix.com.au/ i think it was $100 or so i can't remember but they can repair it in your home in about 15 mins or they can ship it.

They worked out good for me but i'm sure there are other repairers around as well.

EDIT : I think the in home repair is only for the metro area not sure.
@Wij: Beetronix will do interstate repairs (they're in NSW) but you'll need to mail them your console (return postage is free).

nurfman
02-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Its most likely a dirty lens ....cleaning by removing the Blueray drive and isopropyl first ,if your not tech minded by a disk then and only then send it for repair...

Hey big W is selling PS3's 120G for $248 , while the PS3 Slim Console 320GB is $447.......wow thats $200 less for only 200gig more HD and

I would of bought a 120G and gone on ebay and bought a 1 Terra Bite HD for $139.....(well 120G does me actually)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOSHIBA-2-5-1TB-SATA-Internal-Hard-Disk-Drive-1000GB-Laptop-PS3-Macbook-Mac-/290725863011?pt=AU_Video_Game_Accessories&hash=item43b09c9e63

nurfman
03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Well after gilly the top bloke sent me his slim I'm happy to report the replacement Blueray arrived today and I dropped her in gillys ps3 and she runs like brand new , I'm giving it to my nephews who are doing it tough ATM and are going to love this bad boy to pieces ......thanks gilly

lima-alpha-88
03-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Well after gilly the top bloke sent me his slim I'm happy to report the replacement Blueray arrived today and I dropped her in gillys ps3 and she runs like brand new , I'm giving it to my nephews who are doing it tough ATM and are going to love this bad boy to pieces ......thanks gilly

This warmed my little gamer heart

Scout___AUS
03-07-2012, 07:39 PM
St Gilly and papa Nurf

ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY
03-07-2012, 07:53 PM
I thought the 1TB drive was a little too fat to fit in the slims.

JORDS686
17-07-2012, 01:12 PM
My advice try and find a Blueray cleaning disk and see what happens

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLU-RAY-HD-DVD-Player-Laser-Lens-Cleaner-2-Brush-System-/270790368758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f0c5d1df6#ht_3542wt_1035

I finally got my ass in to gear and bought this to give it a go. Mostly because my optical drive now reads no games, ever. It still spins up DVD's and Bluray movies though... wierd.

Anyhow if it doesnt work Nurf I am going to expect an instruction manual complete with pictures on how to replace the optical drive :)

OvACoNfIDeNT
14-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Recently had problems with my 120g slim, started off with a fan that sounded like a jet engine then 50% of the time wouldn't read the disk.
Followed the tips you guys put up then watched the videos (a few times). Today I pulled it apart and gave it a clean, now no noisy fan and is reading the disks perfectly !
Anyone struggling to find a T8 screwdriver try a 2mm flathead screwdriver for a replacement, they work the same.

Cheers all... with a family of 4 and a single income DIYs are a must , it would have been game over if I didn't see this thread :)

Wijome
16-09-2012, 08:24 PM
I wish I had the skills, but I'm about as handy as my vegetable nana.
Sending it off to Melbourne for repairs is such a tough decision. I don't have the money, but then I don't want Borderlands 2 to stuff up, but then I might not have my PS3 back in time for Borderlands 2.
First World Problems.

nurfman
25-09-2012, 07:58 AM
The one i cleaned finally its "laser died" , im going to replace it. Honestly if you follow youtube and buy a half decent tool kit its 30 minutes to repair and $20. PS3 fat was terrible to work on slims are very easy

nurfman
14-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I got my laser and replaced it all up it took 30 minutes and $20 , YouTube tutorial. It works perfectly.My only advice is buy god quality screw drivers.

JORDS686
15-10-2012, 04:09 PM
I have a tool box at work with top notch tools and it just so happens that everything including a T8 security torx is there. I bought my laser from deal extreme and should get it soon... If I hit any hurdles ill hit you up Nurf

AStiffBreeze
15-10-2012, 05:39 PM
I got my laser and replaced it all up it took 30 minutes and $20 , YouTube tutorial. It works perfectly.My only advice is buy god quality screw drivers.

My PS3 has stopped reading dual-layer Blu-rays (some games, and all movies) now. It'll still read DVDs and most games but cleaning the lens hasn't helped, so it looks like replacing the laser is the next step. Having said that, I'm not in any particular rush because I have another PS3 which still reads everything. Nurf can you post up the youtube vid which you found the most helpful? I'm looking at one by GameConsoleRepairs which is pretty good.

nurfman
15-10-2012, 08:42 PM
yes the game console repair ones are the best stiff, slims are very friendly to the repairer , Jords ill help you put anytime mate because i want my old mate back on the PS3

JORDS686
15-10-2012, 09:27 PM
My PS3 has stopped reading dual-layer Blu-rays (some games, and all movies) now. It'll still read DVDs and most games but cleaning the lens hasn't helped, so it looks like replacing the laser is the next step. Having said that, I'm not in any particular rush because I have another PS3 which still reads everything. Nurf can you post up the youtube vid which you found the most helpful? I'm looking at one by GameConsoleRepairs which is pretty good.

Thats exactly what mine did. Always the dual layer blurays - at first it would fail intermittently but it became progressively more common. Now it wont even read a DVD.

yes the game console repair ones are the best stiff, slims are very friendly to the repairer , Jords ill help you put anytime mate because i want my old mate back on the PS3

Yeh hanging out to get some more game time going on. I'm a bit worried that BF3 will now be way outta my league but I am hanging for a few rounds of Syndicate and a race in GT5!

Edit: Plus gaming will help me be 'nice Jords' a bit more often haha (well, for the most part)

ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY
15-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I will now forewarn you that any nudge I give you in GT5, no matter how big it will be, is only a "welcome back Jords lovetap". The laughing will also be a "I miss you long time" laugh made for you not at you...

JORDS686
15-10-2012, 09:43 PM
I will now forewarn you that any nudge I give you in GT5, no matter how big it will be, is only a "welcome back Jords lovetap". The laughing will also be a "I miss you long time" laugh made for you not at you...

Thats OK mate, youre gonna know I'm back when I suicide-pass you in to a hairpin!

Wijome
23-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Okay so having already posted my problems here, I will again. I never went through with repairing my PS3 in any way but now shit has gone down again.
I hired GoW Ascension and my PS3 is making the ticking noise and not reading the disc again.

Link to the repair video? I'll ask my handyman uncle or someone to give it a go.

Locoevo
23-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Okay so having already posted my problems here, I will again. I never went through with repairing my PS3 in any way but now shit has gone down again.
I hired GoW Ascension and my PS3 is making the ticking noise and not reading the disc again.

Link to the repair video? I'll ask my handyman uncle or someone to give it a go.

Links are in the first post Wij.

This post is iLocoevo approved.

RayTraced
23-03-2013, 08:16 PM
hey loco
loco

loco

loco

loco loco loco locolocolococlocolclollol

..good job..

nurfman
24-03-2013, 12:47 PM

Ticking probably just means your laser is dead , honestly check out a YouTube tutorial because you can fix it for $20 and 20 minutes of your time

renegade-mik
24-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi guys I had the same problem you'll find that it's not hard to replace.like nurf was saying,use good set of tools it makes a huge difference and it makes the job so much easier

JORDS686
05-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Expect it to take more like an hour the first time.

AStiffBreeze
17-04-2013, 01:50 PM
I know a few people have mentioned that they bought replacement PS3 lasers on ebay, can anyone recommend some reputable sellers on that front? They're a lot cheaper than sourcing them from console repairers but I don't want to end up with a second hand or otherwise dodgy laser.

nurfman
17-04-2013, 01:57 PM
I can send his eBay details cost me $20 delivered , remember to YouTube a tutorial to explain step by step. Just don't rush put some time away

AStiffBreeze
17-04-2013, 02:13 PM
I can send his eBay details cost me $20 delivered , remember to YouTube a tutorial to explain step by step. Just don't rush put some time away
That would be awesome nurf. I'm very familiar with the internals of the Slim (including the optical drive) so no worries on that front.

AStiffBreeze
21-04-2013, 01:09 AM
My slim PS3's laser has definitely carked it and won't read any Blu-ray discs now, although DVDs are still working. Even with DVDs though the drive sounds louder than normal so I've bid on an entire new deck rather than just laser. Looks like I might not be playing Dark Arisen on launch day after all.

I'm also looking at doing a drive transplant from my YLOD fat to my 'completely dead optical drive' fat. Digital downloads can't come soon enough...

Locoevo
21-04-2013, 08:43 AM
That sucks, I've had no issue with either of my PS3, I fear my original PS3 won't last much longer. I don't use it for anything other than watching DLed TV shows.

This post is iLocoevo approved.

AStiffBreeze
01-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Nurf never sent me any seller details, but I got my new deck for $35 (including delivery) from these guys (http://stores.ebay.com.au/Newpartsun). Turnaround was very quick considering it was being shipped from China and the deck is in and working perfectly.

AStiffBreeze
05-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm also looking at doing a drive transplant from my YLOD fat to my 'completely dead optical drive' fat.
Took both fats apart to discover that despite both being CECHG02 models, they use different daughterboards. I'm going to have to do a bit more digging now :(

ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY
05-05-2013, 10:14 PM
I have a Fat PS3 laying around if you need it Stiffy for spare parts. The disc player randomly works, but everything else is fine.

Scout___AUS
01-10-2013, 09:14 PM
I have a super slim that is skipping during DVD playback. It plays Bluray movies and games fine.

Most of you guys have been the other way around. Are the DVD and Blu-ray lasers replaced in a set or separately?

Nurf - It would be great if you could post up the youtube vid you used and the ebay seller you had success with

oDsArE
02-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Original 60gb ps3 are worth abit still, due to the backwards compatibility function. (PS1 to PS3 games) If you've got one I'd hold onto it.

Sent from my iPad using AUF Forums

bigfatant
01-02-2017, 11:37 PM
https://vimeo.com/202019979

So skip forward a few years to a two year old ps4 that's a year out of warranty.
As you will see in the video, the drive accepts the Blu-ray discs and spins up properly but it struggles to read the disc (tried a couple of different discs and can confirm the discs themselves are clean).

Anyway, should I send it in to Sony to fix or try to replace the drive myself or buy a new ps4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stonemull
02-02-2017, 12:28 AM
I would make sure the lens is clean first and their is nothing wrong with the sliders etc, if nothing visible then swap it out.
Guide here https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+3+Blu-ray+Disc+Drive+Replacement/3484

$20 or under on ebay for a drive, search for 'ps3 blu-ray', I woukd lonk but stupid ebay links on ipad are like 20000 charactes.

oops, went with thread title and thought it was your PS3, need correct numbers off the drive for a ps4 and they are like $45 on ebay.
guide here though https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/PlayStation-4-Optical-Drive/IF297-004-2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AStiffBreeze
02-02-2017, 08:29 AM
https://vimeo.com/202019979

So skip forward a few years to a two year old ps4 that's a year out of warranty.
As you will see in the video, the drive accepts the Blu-ray discs and spins up properly but it struggles to read the disc (tried a couple of different discs and can confirm the discs themselves are clean).

Anyway, should I send it in to Sony to fix or try to replace the drive myself or buy a new ps4?

Step 1 is cleaning the lens. If that doesn't fix it, Step 2 is replacing the lens. There isn't really a Step 3, unless you're adamant that you don't want to try replacing the lens. There will no doubt be a heap of YouTube tutorials on the whole process.

bigfatant
03-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Many thanks guys.. I'll try cleaning (again) and then replacing the lens or drive.. The alternative is upgrading to a ps4 pro..