PDA

View Full Version : PS3 BluRay drive playing up

JORDS686
25-03-2012, 01:01 PM
The Blu-Ray drive on my PS3 is playing up. When I put a game into the drive, it makes a bad sound, then seems to eject partially but doesn't, then spins up the disc but won't read it. After trying for about a minute, my PS3 freezes. This happens about 50% of the time, so I have to restart my PS3 a few times to get a game running. Once its up and running, no problems at all.

For those of you that know about these things, does it in fact sound like a BR drive error or is it something more sinister. Also can I buy any laptop size bluray drive and replace the current one?

AStiffBreeze
25-03-2012, 02:26 PM
The Blu-Ray drive on my PS3 is playing up. When I put a game into the drive, it makes a bad sound, then seems to eject partially but doesn't, then spins up the disc but won't read it. After trying for about a minute, my PS3 freezes. This happens about 50% of the time, so I have to restart my PS3 a few times to get a game running. Once its up and running, no problems at all.

For those of you that know about these things, does it in fact sound like a BR drive error or is it something more sinister. Also can I buy any laptop size bluray drive and replace the current one?

Do DVDs do the same thing, or is it only Blu-ray movies and games? Also you can't swap the Blu-ray drive out yourself. One of the most common vectors for piracy is altering the optical drive to recognise burnt discs as being masters, so the consoles are very particular about the optical drive.

Posted from my phone

JORDS686
25-03-2012, 02:41 PM
It is playing all discs, bluray and DVD, it's just making horrible noises when it loads the disc. I don't have the lockup issues with DVDs, or bluray movies. That's a game specific issue only.

nurfman
25-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Wow exactly same as my sons PS3, I'm ordering a refurbished Blueray drive from the US for $70 delivered, installation is fairly straight forward , simply need a T8 screw driver and a Phillips head. YouTube offers a great installation tutorial.ill send you the link or simply search for refurbished drives

Joshizzled
25-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Sounds like mine. Put a bluray in and it doesn't read it at all.

Rayndylra
25-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Generally if it sounds like it's making a buzz-saw sound, it could just be that you've got something blocking the laser from moving.
The other reason for this is that the programming has hit a bug and it's trying to move it back and forth and getting stuck in a loop. (Similar sort of thing like when a PC disk drive decides it wants to dance and eject, slide in, eject, slide in, etc.) Best thing is what Nurf said. Get another one and put it in. When you pull the other one out, have a look underneath the laser and see if something's obstructing it..
I've never actually got to dissect a PS3 optical drive.....

As for the lockups, since it's happening with games I'm leaning more towards the software rather than hardware - although it could actually be the hard drive.. As far as I'm aware, the hard drive isn't accessed when reading movies. I could be wrong though, I should find out. o-O

nurfman
25-03-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm saying to buy the entire blue ray drive ....not to even open it up just slip a new one in for $70 ...refurbished! Best option if something is bent inside

Smajs
25-03-2012, 10:03 PM
I guess this would be one nice thing to come from next gen system without a disk drive , every PS console i've had got disc read errors. both my fat PS2 and PS3 needed new lasers... when i got Beetronix to look at mine there was two options like mentioned, replace the lens or just straight up replace the drive.

I think the software can have an effect on the drive because some people have lock ups and then after a hard reset the drive fails to read , though the PS3 would ask to check HDD for errors i would think.....damn fiddly tech not like the good old days when a game would not play you just blew out the dust heh.

nurfman
26-03-2012, 12:11 AM
True smaj my mate had a bullet proof ps1, just ran and ran got treated it so badly

Rayndylra
26-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Anyone remember the N64? You could throw that down 15 floors to a mate on the ground, he drop it, but then blow the dirt off it and start playing..

nurfman
26-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Anyone remember the N64? You could throw that down 15 floors to a mate on the ground, he drop it, but then blow the dirt off it and start playing..

remember it i simply loved my N64 and golden eye ....i even have a few cartridges laying around "starwars and Banjo Kazooee" .....sadly my wife threw my N64 out by donating it to some stinking kid

drgeebz
26-03-2012, 03:55 PM

Remeber the NES when you had to blow out the cartridges to try and get it to work. Had to be super careful that you didnt start blowing on the cartridge while/after eating your favourite gaming snack. I can remember getting a game back from a friend and it was full of little bits of dorritos. That thing was rage inducing sometimes, had to hold everything in just the right position to get it to work.

mmmgilly
14-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Getting a similar problem to you Jords, DVD's play fine, but no blu-rays (the wierd noises and shit going on when they are put in). How'd you go about fixing it, Replace the drive yourself or get someone else to do it?

JORDS686
02-10-2012, 01:36 PM
I bought a new laser for my PS3 over the weekend, so should be back online a bit soon. I'll take a few happy snaps during the process too I think. I'm keen to see the inner workings of the optical drive.

JORDS686
17-10-2012, 07:51 AM
I bought a new laser for my PS3 over the weekend, so should be back online a bit soon. I'll take a few happy snaps during the process too I think. I'm keen to see the inner workings of the optical drive.

So I got the laser, and last night over dinner i was talking to one of my mates about it and turns out he used to work at a console repair shop... So the change out just got easier!

Looking like getting online on the weekend...

nurfman
17-10-2012, 07:21 PM
So I got the laser, and last night over dinner i was talking to one of my mates about it and turns out he used to work at a console repair shop... So the change out just got easier!

Looking like getting online on the weekend...

You have to ask yourself why did he leave , nah there pretty simple....like me

JORDS686
17-10-2012, 10:59 PM
The torx I had from work is too big... It's a T10. Looks like I have to wait for the one I ordered from eBay...

AStiffBreeze
17-10-2012, 11:21 PM
The torx I had from work is too big... It's a T10. Looks like I have to wait for the one I ordered from eBay...

It's not just a torx, it's a torx tamperproof (has the hole in the middle). Hopefully you already knew that.

Posted from my phone

JORDS686
18-10-2012, 09:25 AM
It's not just a torx, it's a torx tamperproof (has the hole in the middle). Hopefully you already knew that.

Posted from my phone

Yep, knew that. The ones from work were the right type just a bit too big. I have a T8 security bit on order.

JORDS686
24-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Fixed it! Fuck yeah!

Locoevo
25-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Nice Jords, now get back to gaming, GT5 race November 6th, be there or don't be there.