PDA

View Full Version : It's official! Internet Explorer users are totally dumb

nurfman
01-08-2011, 11:05 AM
NERDS the world over are rejoicing at news they're smarter than their mum.

For years, computer geeks have taken pride in using a "real" browser like Firefox or Opera to surf the web, while n00bs stick with simple old Internet Explorer.

Now a new study has backed up all that boasting by finding that ditching Microsoft's default browser really is the smart choice.

In an online IQ test of 100,000 people, Aptiquaint Psychometric Consulting found that users of alternate browsers were likely to have a higher IQ than Internet Explorer users.

"It comes out pretty clear that Internet Explorer users scored lower than average on the IQ tests," said Aptiquaint.

"Chrome, Firefox and Safari users had just a teeny bit higher than average IQ scores. And users of Camino, Opera and IE with Chrome Frame had exceptionally higher IQ levels."
Out of all the Internet Explorer versions, "subjects using IE 8 (fared) a little better".

To carry out the study, Aptiquaint offered a free online Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (IV) test for four weeks, and then correlated the results with people's browser choice.

Update!

Aptiquaint chief executive Leonard Howard has issued a statement after receiving "hate mail" from Internet Explorer users.

"I just want to make it clear that the report released by my company did not suggest that if you use IE that means you have a low IQ," he said.

"What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer."

http://www.news.com.au/technology/its-official-internet-explorer-users-are-totally-dumb/story-e6frfro0-1226105771664

Nurfs 2 cents; Ive only ever used IE and google ...What should i be using and why?

http://helablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Internet_explorer_dumb.jpg

JORDS686
01-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I only use IE but lately it's been giving me the shits.

I hate firefox because it feels clunky. And the way it handles downloads is stupid.

I've had a go in Google and found it's smooth and faster than IE without the crashing and constant prompting to turn on/off addons.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

French_Maiden
01-08-2011, 04:24 PM
No way. I hate firefox too. My mum uses it and I use IE. This study sucks ...

AStiffBreeze
01-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Study aside, if you're an IE user I highly recommend checking out other browsers anyway: you don't know what you're missing! I'm not a big Firefox fan either, so if that doesn't float your boat maybe give some other browsers a go. I quite like WebKit browsers (Safari and Chrome) but there are other good options out there.

PvtParts
01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I used IE for years and was extremely hesitent to use anything else. Even when I downloaded Firefox I only used it a couple of times and then just left it for months and went back to IE. Ended up giving firefox a longer trial later and personally I much prefer it over IE - been using it for years. Much quicker, smoother and a better layout IMO. Never tried anything else so might give something else a go soon

nurfman
01-08-2011, 06:17 PM
WTF I thought I'd be the only one who would be using IE....this study must of been conducted by nerds ....anyone not use IE?

PwnazorusRexx
02-08-2011, 07:09 AM
I use Firefox, have for years. Much quicker and smoother than IE. I prefer it over google chrome as well.

L1eutenant
02-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Im the same as Rexx, IE is just to damn slow compared to firefox and chrome.

nurfman
02-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Im the same as Rexx, IE is just to damn slow compared to firefox and chrome.

What speeds we talking because IE is pretty darn quick ....so everyone uses firefox because its half a second quicker? What other reasons?

L1eutenant
02-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Add block and the add-ons are exceptional on Firefox.

IE struggles when a lot is displayed on the page and crashes a lot.
The layout is much user friendly on Firefox.

And as for speed, the difference is huge (to me it is anyway)

IE takes a lot longer to start and close, tabs are quicker on firefox.

So someone create a thread with a poll and we can see which is the most used.

drgeebz
02-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I use netscape navigator. :laugh:

AStiffBreeze
02-08-2011, 10:42 AM
I've attached a poll so we can see which web browsers are the most popular at AUF :)

MightyRhinox
02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
I used opera for a while and liked it, but found it was a little buggy and didn't take advantage of the kaspersky plug-in. Now I use chrome.

Chiips
02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
I've attached a poll so we can see which web browsers are the most popular at AUF :)

Can you adjust the poll so users can vote more than 1? I use Firefox on Windows PCs, and Safari on MAC.

There are heaps of add-ons (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/i/) available for Firefox for personal customisation.

As for why not Internet Explorer. This is just one of many times the security of IE has been questioned..... although the latest version is supposed to be better?

Govt issues IE security warning

Emily Bourke for AM
Updated January 19, 2010 21:21:00

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/1214240-3x2-340x227.jpg (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-01-19/internet-explorer-logo-on-a-computer-desktop/1214240)

The Federal Government has ramped up warnings about Microsoft's web browser Internet Explorer, which has come under attack from hackers.
The Government is warning that people risk having their computers infiltrated and passwords stolen unless they install temporary fixes from Microsoft or use alternative browsers.

The Government says Microsoft has acknowledged all recent versions of the program are vulnerable.
It also says people should remember to regularly update their security software and change passwords frequently.
The French and German governments have warned internet users in Europe to avoid Microsoft's popular web browser.

AStiffBreeze
02-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Can you adjust the poll so users can vote more than 1? I use Firefox on Windows PCs, and Safari on MAC.

I've changed the poll from "which browser do you use" to "which is your favourite". That's a more interesting question I think and what I meant to begin with (otherwise I would have had to vote for every single category :().

nurfman
04-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Just found this and had a chuckle!

It's OK, Internet Explorer users - we're the dummies

WE ran a story about web browser dummies and ended up looking like fools.

It was revealed overnight a study which found that Internet Explorer users scored lower in an online IQ test than users of other web browsers was in fact a fake.

The hoax sucked in scores of mainstream and technology media outlets including Mashable, CNET, AFP, PC World, The Daily Mail, smh.com.au and the BBC.

AptiQuant, the company purportedly behind the study, was not real. Its website was a forgery of that of a legitimate psychometric testing company called Central Test.

Central Test issued a statement distancing itself from the bogus company and the Internet Explorer study.

"Central Test noticed the fraudulent use of its identity by AptiQuant, a Canadian company and deny any direct or indirect link with the above mentioned company," it said.

"Central Test, as a qualified online psychometric test publisher, also declines to be the source or the author of the study published on the 'Intelligence Quotient (IQ) and Browser Usage'.

"Central Test is investigating the issue and we reserve any rights to pursue legal action against AptiQuant, or whoever is behind this."

The hoaxer behind AptiQuant also revealed himself as San Francisco computer programmer Tarandeep Gill.

Gill said the elaborate stunt was designed to draw attention to the shortcomings of Internet Explorer 6.

"This was not a cheap publicity stunt, but an honest effort to create awareness about the incompatibilities of IE versions 6.0 to 8.0," he said.

"In the end, I would once again like to apologise to IE users who felt insulted, and to Central Test for copying their stuff without permission."

http://www.news.com.au/technology/its-ok-internet-explorer-users-were-the-dummies/story-e6frfro0-1226108035021

JORDS686
04-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Just found this and had a chuckle!

It's OK, Internet Explorer users - we're the dummies

WE ran a story about web browser dummies and ended up looking like fools.

It was revealed overnight a study which found that Internet Explorer users scored lower in an online IQ test than users of other web browsers was in fact a fake.

The hoax sucked in scores of mainstream and technology media outlets including Mashable, CNET, AFP, PC World, The Daily Mail, smh.com.au and the BBC.

AptiQuant, the company purportedly behind the study, was not real. Its website was a forgery of that of a legitimate psychometric testing company called Central Test.

Central Test issued a statement distancing itself from the bogus company and the Internet Explorer study.

"Central Test noticed the fraudulent use of its identity by AptiQuant, a Canadian company and deny any direct or indirect link with the above mentioned company," it said.

"Central Test, as a qualified online psychometric test publisher, also declines to be the source or the author of the study published on the 'Intelligence Quotient (IQ) and Browser Usage'.

"Central Test is investigating the issue and we reserve any rights to pursue legal action against AptiQuant, or whoever is behind this."

The hoaxer behind AptiQuant also revealed himself as San Francisco computer programmer Tarandeep Gill.

Gill said the elaborate stunt was designed to draw attention to the shortcomings of Internet Explorer 6.

"This was not a cheap publicity stunt, but an honest effort to create awareness about the incompatibilities of IE versions 6.0 to 8.0," he said.

"In the end, I would once again like to apologise to IE users who felt insulted, and to Central Test for copying their stuff without permission."

http://www.news.com.au/technology/its-ok-internet-explorer-users-were-the-dummies/story-e6frfro0-1226108035021

HAHAHA thats very funny! + rep

Chiips
04-08-2011, 09:51 AM
A fake study does not necessary mean that it's supposed results and conclusions are incorrect....

... :D

MightyRhinox
04-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I think the first real clue came when he said IE users have an average IQ of 80...

Chiips
04-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I think the first real clue came when he said IE users have an average IQ of 80...

yeah, it's a bit too high....

Nurf's IQ surely only nudges 50 on a good day...... still luv ya though nurf :D

nurfman
04-08-2011, 01:50 PM
yeah, it's a bit too high....

Nurf's IQ surely only nudges 50 on a good day...... still luv ya though nurf :D

http://img43.ownskin.com/powerwall/56/VP/wX/EO/05a559c8.gif

HARRASMENT!!!! ..... i demand the above admin be stripped of his rights and he be set adrift into the internet....Chiips its important to note im a South Aussie who is made of rubber whatever you say bounces off me and onto you ..no returns dubsies

Chiips
04-08-2011, 01:59 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ToalJMCh3go/S727sPZeqUI/AAAAAAAAAD4/XoFL5wgBRh0/s1600/i_am_sorry_02.jpg

if it makes you feel any better, I'll double click on the IE icon just for you.

nurfman
04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ToalJMCh3go/S727sPZeqUI/AAAAAAAAAD4/XoFL5wgBRh0/s1600/i_am_sorry_02.jpg

if it makes you feel any better, I'll double click on the IE icon just for you.

yes...yes it does make me feel better...thanks

Locoevo
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Firefox. i got told to use Chrome by an IT mate of mine. i told him to go fuck himself.

Chiips
08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Firefox. i got told to use Chrome by an IT mate of mine. i told him to go fuck himself.

oh.... and how did Cheeky react? :D

.... doesn't the newest version of Firefox look at bit like Chrome (tried it during beta stages only), the "minimalist" look?

Locoevo
08-08-2011, 03:45 PM
cheeky isnt my mate. he's my soulmate.

L1eutenant
08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
cheeky isnt my mate. he's my soulmate.

Naw!

And go FIREFOX, and yes Chiips, the simple look works..

SuperlapS15
08-08-2011, 06:16 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha that is superb!