PDA

View Full Version : PS3 dead. Can i somehow extract my data

stieny
23-04-2011, 10:50 AM
My PS3 died yesterday was a 40 gig fat going out to buy a new one in a minute. does anyone know if i can put the old hard drive in the new one then back it up or are my save games gone forever. If so I think I'll be trading in a fair few games as cant be bothered starting from scratch again. Ahh just realized i'll have to start My Tiger woods 12 career again dam it.

asadoxian
23-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey steiny I think chiips made a thread overflowing with info on this subject I can't link ATM but maybe give a search or someone else might be able to link.

nurfman
23-04-2011, 01:00 PM
No it won't work in a new ps3 , the new ps3 will ask to format, same deal if you return to Sony .....I don't think there's an extraction program on ps3 , onlyway is to back up when it was working .....don't worry I've been in the same boat

L1eutenant
23-04-2011, 01:02 PM
No it won't work in a new ps3 , the new ps3 will ask to format, same deal if you return to Sony .....I don't think there's an extraction program on ps3 , onlyway is to back up when it was working .....don't worry I've been in the same boat

people that can do the hack for the ps3 can some how extract the info of the old hard drive. but thats as much as i know

AStiffBreeze
23-04-2011, 01:10 PM
My PS3 died yesterday was a 40 gig fat going out to buy a new one in a minute. does anyone know if i can put the old hard drive in the new one then back it up or are my save games gone forever. If so I think I'll be trading in a fair few games as cant be bothered starting from scratch again. Ahh just realized i'll have to start My Tiger woods 12 career again dam it.

Let me see what the CFW PS3 options are; don't do anything with your old HDD just yet.

stieny
23-04-2011, 02:34 PM
well bought new PS3 but now the screen flashes on and off for about 1 second with my HDMI cable plugged in on 1080p DAM YOU SONY

AStiffBreeze
23-04-2011, 02:54 PM
There's a way to decrypt the internal HDDs but it's pretty full-on:
http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/03/ps3-internal-hdd-decrypted-by-graf_chokolo/

Not sure how keen you'd be on giving that a go but it's pretty much the only avenue left to you if you want your old game saves back and don't have a backup.

As to the screen flashing on/off, plug the standard composite cable into your TV and then turn on the PS3 holding down the power button until you hear it beep. That'll reset it to 576i and then you can select the proper screen resolution for your HDMI connection.

stieny
23-04-2011, 03:02 PM
got it working at 1080i but whenever put on 1080p it just flashes on for 1 second and off for 5 seconds
I think i'll give up on my old saved data seems like a hassel coupled with a burden to get it back

AStiffBreeze
23-04-2011, 03:34 PM
got it working at 1080i but whenever put on 1080p it just flashes on for 1 second and off for 5 seconds
I think i'll give up on my old saved data seems like a hassel coupled with a burden to get it back

That's a weird one. Can you test the 1080p HDMI input on your telly using some other device (use the same HDMI cable and port that you're having problems with on the PS3)? Alternatively have you tried using a different cable and/or port on the TV?

Smokin_Icarus
23-04-2011, 03:46 PM
how much noticable is the difference between i and p ? does it matter?

AStiffBreeze
23-04-2011, 04:03 PM
how much noticable is the difference between i and p ? does it matter?

Most (but not all) games will kick back to 720p anyway. But for Blu-ray movies you'll want 1080p, progressive looks a lot better if you ask me.

Smokin_Icarus
23-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Ok so really for blue ray movies

AStiffBreeze
23-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Ok so really for blue ray movies

Some games do support 1080p (Gran Turismo 5 for example).

Locoevo
23-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Try turning your Telly off for 5 seconds steiny then back on again. My slim ps3 does this when I wanna watch TV on it via mediaserver but turning the TV off fixes the problem.

Enviado desde mi iPhone usando Tapatalk

Capt_Jack_West
24-04-2011, 03:05 PM
In terms of extracting the data - try all of the above and if that doesn't work try the following:

Drill a hole in the side of the machine, insert a pump and fill it up with water. Insert a small charge and detonate. The pressure wave should shake all of the data free. Pump in some sulphuric acid and then extract all the sludge. A simple chemical process will allow separation of the valuable data and the sludge. Voila!

Just be careful getting rid of the sludge - environmentalists will be all over your arse if you just dump it in the ocean.

L1eutenant
24-04-2011, 11:57 PM
In terms of extracting the data - try all of the above and if that doesn't work try the following:

Drill a hole in the side of the machine, insert a pump and fill it up with water. Insert a small charge and detonate. The pressure wave should shake all of the data free. Pump in some sulphuric acid and then extract all the sludge. A simple chemical process will allow separation of the valuable data and the sludge. Voila!

Just be careful getting rid of the sludge - environmentalists will be all over your arse if you just dump it in the ocean.

or you could just take a shit on it...