PDA

View Full Version : Wifi - what's an acceptable signal strength for gaming?

CheekyChimpanzee
20-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

I'm on ADSL1 (but supposedly the "fast" one).

My last set of speed tests are as follows: *All tests performed via iPhone connected to wifi access point*

17/05/10 1.97mbps down / 0.11 mbps up 934ms ping (sunny coast to bris) - (Gaming config: WIFI to PS3) (OLD ADSL)
15/09/10 4.25mbps down / 0.15 mbps up 426ms ping (sunny coast to bris) - (Gaming config: WIFI to PS3) (OLD ADSL)
06/12/10 6.20mbps down / 0.30 mbps up 74ms ping (sunny coast to bris) - (Gaming config: WIRED to PS3) (NEW FAST ADSL)

Then most recent:
17/01/11 3.20mbps down / 0.27 mbps up 215ms ping (sunny coast to bris) - (Gaming config: WIFI to PS3) (NEW FAST ADSL)

So, I think it's really "time of day" and other factors are influencing whether I get between 2mbps and 6mbps download on my ADSL connection...

However the real purpose of the post is to discuss what is an acceptable signal strength for gaming? Last night I finally finished "danland" and am set back up now for gaming.. however, I can only connect to my home network on the ps3 via WiFi and the signal strength to the room the PS3 is in is 75%. Is that good enough?

JORDS686
20-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I have found that the PS3 picks up the wifi signal a lot better than my phone, so you may find that your signal thru the console is much better.

At the end of the day, your not going to know until you try it out.

I survived for a year on a wireless dongle attached to my laptop, then connected to my ps3; so remember, it could be far worse!

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Chiips
20-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I've used Cable connection on ~85% signal strength and it ran beautifully.
I've also had 98% strength @ home on 8mps down - and it's seems pretty good when i get to use it.

75% - only one way to find out!! Try it out with a few games.

You know all this, but have a read of this in case it can help you gain a few percentage points

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/qt/locate_aprouter.htm

repercuss
20-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Normally it wont be the actual bandwidth that makes or breaks it, but the latency (the ping) which is always not as good on wireless.

Make sure you aren't using any other wireless devices while playing as well if at all possible.

CheekyChimpanzee
20-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I have found that the PS3 picks up the wifi signal a lot better than my phone, so you may find that your signal thru the console is much better.

At the end of the day, your not going to know until you try it out.

I survived for a year on a wireless dongle attached to my laptop, then connected to my ps3; so remember, it could be far worse!

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Thanks mate - yeah could be worse.... The 75% is what it told me last night as I configured the net on the PS3 and did connection settings test. Gave me a 2.9mbps download speed.

I've used Cable connection on ~85% signal strength and it ran beautifully.
I've also had 98% strength @ home on 8mps down - and it's seems pretty good when i get to use it.

75% - only one way to find out!! Try it out with a few games.

You know all this, but have a read of this in case it can help you gain a few percentage points

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/qt/locate_aprouter.htm

Normally it wont be the actual bandwidth that makes or breaks it, but the latency (the ping) which is always not as good on wireless.

Make sure you aren't using any other wireless devices while playing as well if at all possible.

Thanks lads. Chiips, I'll check out that link and Reper, good tip - thanks.. I'll just have to suck it and see.

rezn8richo
20-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I used to always play in the bedroom and the signal was usually between 50% and 70% resulting in fluctuating ping and lag. Every other room in the house I get at least 80% so I moved the ps3 to the loungeroom

CheekyChimpanzee
20-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I used to always play in the bedroom and the signal was usually between 50% and 70% resulting in fluctuating ping and lag. Every other room in the house I get at least 80% so I moved the ps3 to the loungeroom

I've not investigated if it's possible, but I wonder if I should run cat5 into the wall and over the lounge room and down into the media room, a.k.a. danland, to hit into the PS3 then.... hmm

nurfman
20-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I've not investigated if it's possible, but I wonder if I should run cat5 into the wall and over the lounge room and down into the media room, a.k.a. danland, to hit into the PS3 then.... hmm

I ran wireless for years but i have so much wireless shit in the nurf household and reading about latency etc i went to RJ45

LOL ive just run cat 5/6 to both PS3's got 20m for $6 on ebay,I installed a wall plate (external double brick walls) to stop her indoor whinging also im slowly building a home network and ill all but piss wireless off ...just use it for the ipad and notebook , phones etc. Honestly if your in a rental and dont wanna splash for a tech. Grab a flathead screw driver and punch a small hole in the roof above your modem and above your TV then jump in the roof (or send a kid up ...i always isolate power when i send a kid in my roof) then when you move grab a bit of spack filler and a sample pot of ceiling white ...problem solver my advice is screw wireless if it even adds a touch of latency

SecretWeapon
20-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I play at 50%-60% signal strength and it is decent. It can be a bit dodgy tough, you can get random lag spikes and disconnects.

CheekyChimpanzee
20-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I play at 50%-60% signal strength and it is decent. It can be a bit dodgy tough, you can get random lag spikes and disconnects.

Yeah I was on wireless connection for about 3 years.. but didn't know any better as i'd never tried wired.. I spent the past 3 months wired and don't want to go back!! haha.

I ran wireless for years but i have so much wireless shit in the nurf household and reading about latency etc i went to RJ45

LOL ive just run cat 5/6 to both PS3's got 20m for $6 on ebay,I installed a wall plate (external double brick walls) to stop her indoor whinging also im slowly building a home network and ill all but piss wireless off ...just use it for the ipad and notebook , phones etc. Honestly if your in a rental and dont wanna splash for a tech. Grab a flathead screw driver and punch a small hole in the roof above your modem and above your TV then jump in the roof (or send a kid up ...i always isolate power when i send a kid in my roof) then when you move grab a bit of spack filler and a sample pot of ceiling white ...problem solver my advice is screw wireless if it even adds a touch of latency

Own the place, so that's okay... just have to work out the best way to get the cable from the modem to the PS3. 20m for $6 is AWESOME. Wish I had a hardcore network friend on the sunny coast, i'd get them over to whip it together.

The other option is to get a telstra guy over to put a phone plug in the media room and put the modem in there.. and then run another modem in the study for the computer.

(Assuming you can have two modem/routers going at once on the same connection).