PDA

View Full Version : Buying A PS3 Console Overseas?

Khazii-
13-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Hey gang,

My PS3 was essentially kidnapped by my nephew a few months ago and I've decided buy a new one for myself! I'm headed to Thailand in a week or so I'm wondering if it's worth buying a console over there if it's cheaper and bringing it back in my carry-on?

If I just swap the power cable to an Aussie one will it work ok?

Will it have any dramas as far as connecting to the Aussie PSN and playing games in Aussie servers etc?

Will airlines actually let me bring it back in carry-on luggage?

Is this a viable option?

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

AStiffBreeze
13-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Hmmm, AFAIK the power supply should be universal but read the box to double check. PSN accounts and games won't be an issue, but it'll be DVD and Blu-Ray region-locked to the region you bought it from.

Khazii-
13-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Cheers Stiff-Guru, the DVD/BD thing might be a pain...

Will see if there is a major price difference or not, if it is cheap enough I might grab one but if there isn't much of a difference i'll just wait and pick one up when we get back ;)

bigfatant
13-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Just checke thailand is 220v 50hz so similar enough to australia.
My ps3 is a hk one so its region A locked and its annoying i cant play aussie blu rays. Thailand would probably be the same region lock.

Otherwise games are region free.

Warranty would be an issue because i doubt there is international warranty on a ps3.

MightyRhinox
09-04-2011, 04:26 PM
The AC/DC converter (inside the console) for console power supplies are voltage and frequency rated so you have to double check (the rating is on the sticker on the underside of the console). As Bigfatant said, Thailand is 220v@50hz, so the rating on a Thai console should be 220-240v @ 50-60hz so it should be fine.

But if anyone does manage to plug a console into an incorrectly rated outlet, don't worry, that little bang you hear doesn't mean you now have a nice new paper weight; the power supplies are fuse protected, so you can open it up and repair it using a nice shiny piece of cigarette foil ;)

(smoking kills)

L1eutenant
14-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I dont think they work out any cheaper, they didn't when they first came out as i had a friend look at one for me when he was there. Any way if it is cheaper let me know!

nurfman
14-04-2011, 02:57 PM
The AC/DC converter (inside the console) for console power supplies are voltage and frequency rated so you have to double check (the rating is on the sticker on the underside of the console). As Bigfatant said, Thailand is 220v@50hz, so the rating on a Thai console should be 220-240v @ 50-60hz so it should be fine.

But if anyone does manage to plug a console into an incorrectly rated outlet, don't worry, that little bang you hear doesn't mean you now have a nice new paper weight; the power supplies are fuse protected, so you can open it up and repair it using a nice shiny piece of cigarette foil ;)

(smoking kills)

I bought a PS2 in Dubai many years ago .......ive heard sony dumps alot of shit electronics there ...everything had its serial numbers removed, back to my hotel room plugged it in and boom , the guy replaced it but he wasnt happy. Asia is a cool place to buy electronics but i wouldnt even consider buying anything like this from anywhere in thailand ......Honestly i bought my slims for $400 almost at launch from david jones of all places. If i was to buy them again id buy from Harvey Normans ....to take advantage of extended warranty

MightyRhinox
14-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I did almost exactly the same thing bought a second hand PS2 off a friend from overseas, someone else plugged it in and boom. Patched it up with cigarette foil, which worked fine until someone else plugged it in without the converter. Cigarette foil doesn't really work very well in an overcurrent protection role :lol: