PDA

View Full Version : YLOD (Yellow Light of Death!!!!) What now?

Chiips
16-10-2010, 07:45 PM
http://ps3troubleshooting.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ylod.jpg

The dreaded YLOD!!!!! (Yellow Light of Death)

Noooo she's DEAD......aaaargh what now? :1: Relax, take a deep breath and read on....

This happened to me about a week ago, and thought I'll share with everyone what I've learnt. I realise there are other threads on this topic, but I thought a thread like this will be beneficial to AUF, to be referred to when needed.

The PS3 performs a self test each time you turn it on, checking for faults. If it detects a problem, it shuts down self-preservation. So what you get is a brief yellow flash when you turn it on, beeps 3 times and powers down to a flashing red light. Note that YLOD is different to a busted blu-ray drive - where the PS3 still turns on but just doesn't read discs!!

Common Causes

Now it would appear that the older fat models are more prone to YLOD. Would be interested to hear from anyone who got a slim YLOD

1. Crappy solder susceptible to overheating and heat-cool cycle. Some theories suggest that the slim is ventilated better than the fat, hence it's less likely to overheat. There have been debates on horizontal versus vertical positioning of your fat, some reckon vertical placement might offer better ventilation but some disagree.

It's also been suggested that the solders used in the fat models are unstable, resulting in frequent melting and solidifying when you operate your console. I think this is the most common cause of YLOD, as the fixes which work are aimed at correcting this problem.

2. Busted power supply. I haven't looked into this yet, but I recall reading somewhere you might be able to replace a power supply (to be updated??)

3. Failed hard drive. I dunno if this is a common cause of YLOD, but perhaps you'll get corrupt data as precursor to it carking it?? (to be updated??)

What to do?

1. Is your disc stuck in it???? If so, the first and RECOMMENDED method is the fan test method = THIS WORKED FOR ME!!!
** Muddy says this DOES NOT work for original 60GB model :(

Turn your PS3 off from the back
Keep your finger on the Eject button (don't let go!! - if you let it go, it'll just YLOD again))
Turn the PS3 on from the back
Keep your finger on Eject Button.......within a few seconds the PS3 fan will blow HARD
Spammmmm the eject button until it spits your disc out

If that doesn't work, then you could risk taking the PS3 apart yourself and somehow remove the disc without scratching it.

NOTE - Taking your PS3 apart will void it's warranty. So see next option if you're still covered!!

2. Get it repaired under warranty.

Unfortunately it seems most fat PS3s seem to cark it after it's first anniversary.... which just happens to be Sony's default warranty period. Just out of warranty? You might get lucky if you abuse them enough??? If you didn't manage to eject the disc, ask Sony to send yer disc back. How long did it take for yours YN (5 months?). You will receive a refurbished PS3, not necessarily the one you sent in.

3. Get it officially repaired by Sony.

Refer to This thread (http://www.ausforces.com/showthread.php?t=774). Not sure what the going rate is at the moment, used to be $315, but I'm sure it's less now (to be upated??)

4. Independent repair joints.

Most of these fellas offer a 3 month warranty. Here's a list of people who conduct repairs (help me lengthen the list fellas!!)

Beetronix (http://beetronix.com.au/) (Based in NSW. Services Australia wide)
Online Electronics (http://www.playstation3-repairs.com/) (Services Australia wide)
Console Pal (http://www.consolepal.com.au/)
Mod Xpress (South Perth) - $99

5. DIY repairs

Hair Dryer Method

This one doesn't require you to open up the PS3.
There's plenty of youtube clips on the internet, search for it.... or here's a random one I'll embed

jZWVmP4YA_4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZWVmP4YA_4&feature=related

The aim is to heat the PS3 and melt the solder back into place.
This method is usually short lived, but might be long enough for you to extract stuff from your HDD and fool EB Games or some poor kid into thinking it's a fully working PS3 when you trade or sell

Re-Flowing Method

This is a more time consuming method and requires to open up and dissect your PS3. Again there are plenty of youtube clips out there, and here's the first part of a comprehensive step by step guide

U70SgRDVcBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

This method should last longer than hair-dryer method. I assume this method could be what the "repairers" use?

NOTE - Both DIY methods seem to be short lived, majority of PS3 end up with YLOD again (within a few months)!! The official and 3rd party repaired/refurbished PS3s are also known to die again

So your best option if you have the money....

6. Get a new PS3 Slim

Just suck it up and get another one
You might be able to trade in your busted PS3 for a small amount, or get a bigger amount via "trickery" (just happen to forget to tell them it's "dead") or temporary fixing it so it works when they test it!

***I've sussed it out at EB Games, and they'll offer $50 for a YLOD PS3 (40GB model), and $100 for a working one (16th October 2010). They do not accept original 60GB model (thanks Muddy)
*** GAME do not accept YLOD PS3 (18/10/10), only working models.

A new Slim means less likely to get YLOD, and also a new warranty!

7. Another great novel idea is to turn it into one of these (This was Cheeky's suggestion)

ZLnm_dRzr84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLnm_dRzr84

Your account details if u sell or trade your YLOD PS3?

Hard drives are paired with the PS3 it's installed in, so you can't access the HDD by simply plugging it into another PS3 or computer.

If you are afraid of someone else gaining access to your account details, perhaps you can replace or remove the HDD before trade in/sell, or use one of the methods above to briefly resuscitate your PS3 to delete/format.

Otherwise you can hope whoever fixes it will reformat the drive for you before passing it on - apparently if Sony replaces the entire motherboard, your drive will be formatted automatically so the HDD can pair with the new mobo.

Tips to preventing YLOD

Keep it ventilated (don't place it in an enclosed area, don't block the vents)
Keep it cool (usb fans, external fans, chuck some ice on it :D)
Keep it clean (dust cover when not in use, vacuum the vents every now n then)
Keep it updated with latest firmware (helps the ps3 run more efficiently.... not always though!)
Keep it down - don't play with it for too long?

well that's it. Hopefully not many of us will need to refer to this thread eh....
and all are welcome to correct or add to what I've written here.

YNWA01
16-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Epic post.

I got my PS3 back quite quickly but my disc took ages 3+ months I think?

Smokin_Icarus
16-10-2010, 09:39 PM
i've fixed 2 so far, both under warranty

i'll bet ya that one of mine will cark it when CODBO comes out from overuse!!

Snickersma
16-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Awesome thread Chiips!! :)

karnage001
16-10-2010, 10:24 PM
repped. epic post is epic

ill be driving my dead horse south of the river next friday to fix her up. $40 for all YLOD fixes.

If anybody in perth is keen for a good price on fixes, ill link his site below. supposedly he's pretty quick and offers 1 month warranty after a fix. will post back when i hand it in for repairs. hopefully the bastard doesnt steal my MW2 disc.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~modking/repairs.html

AStiffBreeze
17-10-2010, 12:34 AM
+ rep for another brilliant thread Chiips.

Beetronix (http://beetronix.com.au/) are the repairers that I hear mentioned the most, and everyone seems to speak pretty highly of them. They also have a little info page on YLOD:
http://beetronix.com.au/gaming-consoles/ps3-ylod.html

Tank1252
17-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Well done Spud.
I take there are still plenty of original 'fat' PS3's still going tho. My (2nd) refurbed one is still going strong, although it doesn't get the use it used to lol.

YNWA01
17-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah. My refurb sounds a lot happier than my original model ever did

TaLEntZ96
17-10-2010, 11:46 AM
do the slims still occasionaly get YLOD? Coz i have 2 slims

Chiips
18-10-2010, 09:47 AM

AFAIK, the Slims have only a very "slim" chance of YLOD :wink2:

They supposedly generate less heat, are better ventilated.... and so far are less likely to YLOD on you!

- will add Beetronix to OP

DarkPhoenix
18-10-2010, 01:32 PM

You have 2 slims? do you play them both at the same time?

slims have only been out a short time, so i guess theres no way to know for sure how good the compare to the fat versions in terms of YLOD.

Although you would think that when sony released the Slim, they would have wanted to address this problem (unless the YLOD is a marketing ploy by sony to artificially increase their sales numbers... repairing is expensive, slims are cheap, so sales numbers go up)

AStiffBreeze
18-10-2010, 01:51 PM
OT, but have you considered jailbreaking one of your PS3s?

- will add Beetronix to OP
I notice that you mention them as being NSW based, but they actually do postal repairs so service all of Australia. I've heard of quite a few people who've posted their consoles from interstate, although I don't know if I would.

Wijome
18-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey man you quoted $50 from EB?

I traded mine in a few weeks before Red Dead was out and got $100 store credit that went straight to Red Dead....
interesting.

but great thread.... would've helped for the 3 times mine YLOD.

Chiips
18-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey man you quoted $50 from EB?

I traded mine in a few weeks before Red Dead was out and got $100 store credit that went straight to Red Dead....
interesting.

but great thread.... would've helped for the 3 times mine YLOD.

yeah, $50 for YLOD PS3, $100 for a working one. 40GB model. Not sure if they offer more for a different model. Might have to try again.... or another store. Or did you trade it during their Trade in special??? or it's simply depreciated

I checked GAME as well, they don't accept YLOD PS3s for trade in :( only working ones... and maybe only certain models.

Wijome
18-10-2010, 04:45 PM
mine was just a normal day at Geelong EB.

Broken YLOD 40GB PS3 fatty with my game stuck inside. they didnt want the game....

Chiips
18-10-2010, 04:47 PM
^ cool, if I decide to do it, I'm gonna say Wijome got $100 for it.....what u say to that!!!

mudman05
18-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Great post Chiips, a few extra things the original 60g wont auto eject or fan test in YLOD, i checked everywhere when it happened to mine but no luck. I did try the Gilsky's fix which looked the best & most detailed on youtube but no luck. I think cost me $10 for the special heat compound & had to buy a heat gun witha minimum output. There is another vid on youtube with instructions on how to geta stuck disc out & works a treat, will try to find again later.

Lastly with the trade in Eb & Games will not trade any 60g models anymore as they are to prone to ylod but they will take all other models including the ylod of those as well.

Chiips
19-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Added your points to OP Muddy!

Confirmed with EB that it's currently (and recently changed :( ) $50 trade in value for YLOD PS3, used to be $100. why didnt my ps3 die earlier...

mudman05
19-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks chiips, i suppose $50 is better than the $0 i got cos no one would trade.

R5169
25-10-2010, 12:22 PM
well old faithful has passed away...again.

number of failures on my gaming consoles;
PS3: 2
360: 0

its a bit of a kick in the dick because both consoles are open aired, they get all the cool air off the aircon machine, cleaned every other week when i do the house yet i still get YLOD... my fucking brother msg'd me the bad news at 2am while i was half way home from SYD. fucker.

cant afford another ps3 at the moment with having to buy new tyres, new key, stamp duty & rego on the new car, blah, blah, blah... so i might try one of the above tricks to get it working or atleast get all my details out of the bloody thing! the xbox has now taken over key media tasks (nightly soprano's watching) so see how the old girl really stands up to the task.

so AUF'ers if my name says i have been offline for a while here is my excuse!

the only positive in this is i will have a new ps3 around GT5 time if it ever comes out!haha

discobreakfast
15-11-2010, 10:35 AM
my old 60gb got YLOD on the weekend, still got warranty on it, second time its happened.

Went to buy a new slim cos cbf waiting 6 weeks to get it back.

CheekyChimpanzee
15-11-2010, 11:09 AM
I think Black Ops will be an "old console" killer. Mine goes into hyper-drive playing it. Got a cooling system on the way via eBay however, and cranking the air-con.. but this reminds me that I'd better give it a vacuum tonight.

karnage001
15-11-2010, 10:56 PM
throw in Mod Xpress (South Perth)

i got my 60GB fixed by those guys 2 weeks ago and they did a really swell job on it. Got it done in 2 days for $99

R5169
16-11-2010, 01:05 PM
mine is on its way pack from www.consolepal.com.au (http://www.consolepal.com.au) at the moment, $110 return in 2-3 weeks (he is in QLD so took longer to post), i'll let you know how it goes...

im looking to trade it in now its working + my xbox and games for a new 250gig unit, start fresh with a solid warrenty

Chiips
16-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks Karn, updated repair list with Mod Xpress in South Perth <-- nice area BTW!

Consolepal.... fairly sure it's operated by one of the dudes I used to play Socom with. Interested to get some feedback on it

R5169
16-11-2010, 05:23 PM
he has been very easy to deal with so far, he also is big into GT5 with an awesome rig and how to build guide on his site! he is well known on myps3.com i think

Smajs
27-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Yep, sad day for me, just got YLOD and GT5 disc is still inside..................

RIP PHAT PS3 04/2007 to11/2010

No more GT5 for me, no BFBC2 Vietnam..........well at least it is nearly Xmas so i can get a slim.

Got to try to get GT5 out though and damn i was just about to back up my saves.......30 hours of Fallout,GT5 ...FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

AStiffBreeze
27-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Yep, sad day for me, just got YLOD and GT5 disc is still inside..................

RIP PHAT PS3 04/2007 to11/2010

No more GT5 for me, no BFBC2 Vietnam..........well at least it is nearly Xmas so i can get a slim.

Got to try to get GT5 out though and damn i was just about to back up my saves.......30 hours of Fallout,GT5 ...FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
That sucks mate :(

Were there any warning signs, or did it just happen out of the blue?

Smajs
28-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Nah no signs, was loading up a run on Laguna Seca and bamn,thought it was a power surge at first because it looked exactly like that but everything else was still on,had a good run though, almost 4 years.......and after a few hours i finally have my GT5 disc at least lol, now to look around for a Slim (ironically the cheapest i've seen in store was the new Gt5 bundle ha ha ha)

Gir283
28-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Nah no signs, was loading up a run on Laguna Seca and bamn,thought it was a power surge at first because it looked exactly like that but everything else was still on,had a good run though, almost 4 years.......and after a few hours i finally have my GT5 disc at least lol, now to look around for a Slim (ironically the cheapest i've seen in store was the new Gt5 bundle ha ha ha)

Wtf yours go out with a bang? I've only ever seen 1 rrod and It's just hit power to start, nothing happens :'( wish ours went out with a bang

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Smajs
02-12-2010, 12:09 PM
It turns out my YLOD was caused by the power board and that may have shown signs beforehand because when i bought a new TV and sound setup i had a buzzing noise from the speakers that was audible at high volume, always thought it was the speakers but since i got a Slim no noise, the slim has a 2 prong power cord but the Phat had 3,my mate reckons it was the 3rd prong (grounding) that caused the humming and may have fried my PS3 but who knows.

Also plug the PS3 into a surge protector now instead of the wall and run PlayTv through PC so PS3 isn't on as much, paranoid but fuck it.

nurfman
02-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Also plug the PS3 into a surge protector now instead of the wall and run PlayTv through PC so PS3 isn't on as much, paranoid but fuck it.

Thats what i do i refuse to use my PS3 as an entertainment hub so play TV is something i dont use.I dont think you paranoid. Ive blown up a 60g fat a 40g fat and i sold the 40 to my local repair guy for spares and my 60G went back to sorny for a 250 refurbishment (did a great job).I then bought us 2 slims and i keep the 60 in the coffin box for a spare BUT sometimes ill break it out so 3 of us can play online ......

Smokin_Icarus
02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I know how you feel

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

TheHotHead
21-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Well, im sad to say im out of the race for a while guys. Loaded up a dvd the other day and the PS3 just dropped. No yellow light, no beeping just stopped and went completely blank so no lights or anything. I'll look around for a cheap one but i don't think i'll be so lucky. :( RIP Fatty.

repercuss
21-01-2012, 11:48 PM
RIP fatty.

We'll keep a server slot warm for you Hottie.

mudman05
21-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Very sad news Hothead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locoevo
22-01-2012, 06:54 AM
RIP FATONE

I think my fatty is on the brink of death as well, the fan sounds like its about to lift off and fly out of my house.

Joshizzled
22-01-2012, 08:31 AM
That sucks hotty, I think I'm onto my third ps3 at the moment

JORDS686
22-01-2012, 10:00 AM
RIP fatso.

Have a look in your local EB games or Game store they often have cheap traded ones. With warranty, too.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
P

PwnazorusRexx
22-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Maybe you just got too hotheaded for it. *sneaky ba dum chi* :laugh:

Tallpaul77
22-01-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm on my 4th.

BTW, does anyone know if Game/EB buy/trade YLOD PS3s? I've still got a fatty just sitting in the cupboard, I just threw the other 2 in the bin.

Locoevo
22-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Yea you should get about $100 for it.

ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY
22-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Mine is on its last legs, can't complain as it is an original. Should buy one just to be on the safe side

Tallpaul77
22-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Yea you should get about $100 for it.

Serious!! Sweet. Thanks :)

Smokin_Icarus
22-01-2012, 11:46 PM
When is ps4 coming out?

JORDS686
22-01-2012, 11:51 PM
When is ps4 coming out?

Hopefully still a long way off!

P

TheHotHead
23-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Cheers guys. Hopefully it wont take me too long to get back on and smash out BF3 with you guys then with the comms patch, things will definitely be an improvement :)

I've found a few good PS3 prices (160gb). The least i cen get one for is $294 but i might trade in a couple games to take the price down a bit more.

mudman05
23-01-2012, 07:48 AM
EB won't trade 60gb fatties as they are the most common to YLOD. tried to trade mine at EB & Game & both dont do it'. All the slims are ok though

Smokin_Icarus
23-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I use my fatty purely as a blue ray player only.

AStiffBreeze
23-01-2012, 02:21 PM
RIP FATONE

I think my fatty is on the brink of death as well, the fan sounds like its about to lift off and fly out of my house.
Mine's been doing that for a long time, and just keeps on keeping on. I wonder if they made a change in one of the firmwares to be very aggressive on the fans with the fat consoles as a precaution after all of the YLOD issues. When I check the back of the unit after the fans kick into overdrive the actual exhaust air is barely even warm (and I remember back in the day it used to be incredibly hot).

I keep thinking it's going to die… but it hasn't yet (touch wood).

Locoevo
23-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Yea well ive had my slim for about a year and a half now so its been happening that long for me. We usually only watch TV or movies on it, missus will occasionally watch a BluRay.

Smajs
23-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Let me tell you this, YLOD is bad but at least it is better than the YDOS (yellow dot of shame )......seeing some old dude mowing the lawn with those y fronts and that was something i could do without.....

Had my Slim for just over a year now and it barely ever gets above warm , bought these little rubber feet to place underneath that raises it about 8 cm of the shelf , did that after i noticed that the underneath heated up faster because the surface below would trap the heat ... works well for me plus it looks kewl hyuk................

Talnoy79
23-01-2012, 10:33 PM
News on the PS4.
http://www.ps4playstation4.com/ps4-release-date-countdown-begins

JORDS686
24-01-2012, 12:00 AM
My slim sits on top of the entertainment unit and it never even works up a sweat. It runs ALL day... Between blurays, PlayTV and gaming it hardly gets a rest. No issues in over 2 years now. Fair to say quite happy with my trusty PS3.

P

OldSarum
24-01-2012, 12:12 AM
I have my ps3 sitting on top of a cake cooling rack. About 2cm high. It's alot cooler now than it used to be.

Smokin_Icarus
24-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Why not stand it on its side?

Locoevo
24-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Why not stand it on its side?

Thats what I do as well.

This post is Locoevo approved.

JORDS686
24-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Why not just keep it in the fridge? You could set up a bar fridge next to your TV, drill some holes in it for the cords and even store your beers in it as well. Guaranteed not to overheat.

P

PwnazorusRexx
24-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Why not just keep it in the fridge? You could set up a bar fridge next to your TV, drill some holes in it for the cords and even store your beers in it as well. Guaranteed not to overheat.

P

What happens when warm air and cold air meet? You'd have a fucked playstation quicker than nurf has sex.

Smoke signals sent from my pipe.

Locoevo
24-01-2012, 11:18 AM
What happens when warm air and cold air meet? You'd have a fucked playstation quicker than nurf has sex.

A Tornado or a hurricane.

JORDS686
24-01-2012, 11:20 AM
A Tornado or a hurricane.

A tornado in your fridge would be a great conversation starter. Maybe you could even turn it into a pick up line.

PwnazorusRexx
24-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Well, on a small scale you'd have condensation.

JORDS686
24-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Just drill a few extra holes in the top for the condensation to escape.

P

Ropes
28-01-2012, 03:43 AM
I now know what has occurred to my friend the Hothead.

I am sorry for your loss.

Even fatties need loving.

TheHotHead
28-01-2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks Ropes.

Hopefully my new slim one (once i get it) won't get YLOD or whatever my chunky playstation got. I also couldn't back up a lot of the data that i had saved on my PS3 which means i have to start a lot of games over :\ (GT5, BF3, Skyrim, UC3, AC:R, RDR,RE5 and more...) Fuck life :(

TheHotHead
28-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Alright... Just hooked my new 160gb slim console so im ready to jam again. See you guys on there :)

Smokin_Icarus
28-01-2012, 05:37 PM
What was the damage? $$$

TheHotHead
28-01-2012, 08:20 PM
I picked it up from Harvey Norman for $250 which i didn't think was too bad. Was the cheapest i could get it anyway so im happy.

Smokin_Icarus
28-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Not bad at all.

Ropes
30-01-2012, 08:34 PM
RIP another Fatty.

JDM Sharpshooter's (My step son) PS3 just hit the skids.

Its all over

Smokin_Icarus
30-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Any tell tale signs before it went?

TheHotHead
30-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Fuuuck. Was it the yellow light or is there no lights showing at all? It's basically dead either way, just curios.

Anyway, RIP Fatty. They were good while they lasted..

Ropes
31-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Nah, he said he was playing then it just stopped.

Tried to turn it back on and the yellow light came on followed by the flicking red light.

LEBSTAA
25-02-2012, 04:28 PM
My PS3 just carked it!

JORDS686
25-02-2012, 04:44 PM
My PS3 just carked it!

That sucks! Have you got another one?

P

LEBSTAA
25-02-2012, 05:44 PM
No mate, I don't own another PS3. I might see if my magnanimous brother would let me borrow his, but he uses it as a DVD and Blu Ray player, so not sure what I'll be doing. Really don't think I'll buy another one at this stage...

It's an old fatty I've owned since '07. I get a yellow light and then a flashing red light. Tragic.

Luckily, I was able to get the BF3 disc out of it.

Does anyone know if I can download the Back to Karkand DLC onto another PS3 using the same code I used on the dead PS3?

ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY
25-02-2012, 06:06 PM
You should be rght Lebstaa, aslong as when you move your account on to the second PS3 you use the same account details. The DLC is locked to your LEBSTAA account, not your PS3. You wont even need the code.

Locoevo
25-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Damn that sucks dude. Havent even really seen you on BF3 or had any games with you.

Ropes
25-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Hard luck Leb.

My kids fatty just got fixed actually, $99 at Mod XPress. Pick it up Monday.

nurfman
25-02-2012, 08:57 PM
RIP another Fatty.

JDM Sharpshooter's (My step son) PS3 just hit the skids.

Its all over

I've got a Launch fatty rebuilt by Sony sitting under my bed.......one day I'll make my Money back ....1 grand

A rebuild costs $250 or HN are selling slims for $325 ...not worth rebuilding

Ropes
25-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Wow a that is pricey!

$99 was a worthy investment.

Unfortunately he has had 3 strikes at school with missing assignments, not turning up for scab duty, general mucking around. I told him flat, you aint getting your PS3 back to you shape up you little fuck.

Should have seen his face. Been offline for a month now, will be 5 weeks till he (IF HE IMPROVES) gets it back.

LEBSTAA
26-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks guys. I ended up getting my brother's slim PS3 and squeezing in some BF3 tonight. I might see how much I can get the fatty repaired for: hopefully around $100.

AStiffBreeze
26-02-2012, 01:34 AM
+ rep for another brilliant thread Chiips.

Beetronix (http://beetronix.com.au/) are the repairers that I hear mentioned the most, and everyone seems to speak pretty highly of them. They also have a little info page on YLOD:
http://beetronix.com.au/gaming-consoles/ps3-ylod.html

^ LEBSTAA these are the guys I was talking about.

Posted from my phone

LEBSTAA
27-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the link, Stiffy.

I gave Beetronix a call earlier today. I was told it would cost $130 to fix the PS3; no cost if they're unable to fix it. In any case, they'll pick up the console from my home and post it back, for free.

I think that's a fair deal.

Ropes
27-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Great deal.

Mine was $40 if they couldn't fix it, $99 for full repair. I had to drive myself back & forth.

NosajEel
27-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Nice one stiffy... I just lost my launch 'PHAT' to the YLOD. Was going to attempt a self fix or sell it on ebay (Collectors Item). I will get a quote from beetronix see how we go. Got a new slim to use in the meantime :D

Locoevo
27-02-2012, 10:29 PM
So who's Fatty is still going without a refurb, i wonder who's will last the longest!

Snickersma
27-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Not mine .. Had it sent away over 12 months ago. Only 1-2 guys had original working ones then.

Sent from a galaxy far far away a long time ago (using tapatalk)

AStiffBreeze
27-02-2012, 11:18 PM
So who's Fatty is still going without a refurb, i wonder who's will last the longest!

Mine is still going (touch wood). I think I got it in November of 2007 and have been whipping it like a rented mule ever since without issue.

Posted from my phone

JORDS686
27-02-2012, 11:29 PM
I've got a Launch fatty rebuilt by Sony sitting under my bed.......one day I'll make my Money back ....1 grand

Your dreaming!

How much is a PS1 worth these days? Or a Sega Mega Drive or any of the original consoles? Hardly anything. Not even close to a grand!

P

Locoevo
28-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Mine is still going (touch wood). I think I got it in November of 2007 and have been whipping it like a rented mule ever since without issue.

Posted from my phone

I got mine 6 months after release, so whenever that was and its still kicking ass, the fan sounds like a jumbo jet taking off though. :D

NosajEel
29-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Your dreaming!

How much is a PS1 worth these days? Or a Sega Mega Drive or any of the original consoles? Hardly anything. Not even close to a grand!

P

Rubbish i sold my old super nintendo with 2 controllers and 15 games for $180 to some bloke on ebay in '09. Still have my Sega Mega Drive, NES, PS1, PSone, PS2, PS3 (Launch PHAT) and original gameboy. Just need to hold on to them and keep them running.

JORDS686
29-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Rubbish i sold my old super nintendo with 2 controllers and 15 games for $180 to some bloke on ebay in '09. Still have my Sega Mega Drive, NES, PS1, PSone, PS2, PS3 (Launch PHAT) and original gameboy. Just need to hold on to them and keep them running.

My point stands. $180 is nowhere near a grand.

P

ELMO-LIKES-BOOBY
29-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Last year some retailers were selling ex demo launch PS3's for nearly a grand. And people were buying them!

PwnazorusRexx
29-02-2012, 10:17 PM
I paid 88 bucks for a PSP the other day, I believe its a 2000. I just wanted it for my late night shifts at work and God of War.

Sent from the chewed remains of my phone.

nurfman
24-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Last year some retailers were selling ex demo launch PS3's for nearly a grand. And people were buying them!

I have a mint condition one under my bed fully refurbished by Sony after the blue ray died ......I will hold onto it till its worth a grand and I just can't bring myself to ever use it again .....may drop it on gumtree

My sons slim is playing up I suspect the drive that loads the disk is damaged and it's not feeding the disk properly to the laser I can get a disk to load after pissing around but I say fuckem (the kids) for mistreating the ill lass and my launch 60 gig is staying under my bed. I'm going to buy the whole drive assembly and replace it holus bolus....in a month or so

I'm going to bunnings to buy a T8 driver now

Ropes
14-04-2012, 09:33 AM
GONE!!!

OUT!!

DISMISSED!!

JDM's fatty has received yet another YLOD, a mere 18 days afer the 30 day warranty expires....

Is it completely gone? Does he play it far too much on holidays? (given this is his second YLOD that coincides with his school holidays) Does MOD Express fix it fo rfree, or will I have to pay again?

All the answers to these questions and more will be revealed soon, don't miss a thing...

TheHotHead
14-04-2012, 10:07 AM
GONE!!!

OUT!!

DISMISSED!!

JDM's fatty has received yet another YLOD, a mere 18 days afer the 30 day warranty expires....

Is it completely gone? Does he play it far too much on holidays? (given this is his second YLOD that coincides with his school holidays) Does MOD Express fix it fo rfree, or will I have to pay again?

All the answers to these questions and more will be revealed soon, don't miss a thing...

Ahaha that's crazy! You were talking about it last night and everything. Looks like it was only just chugging on in BF3 last night. RIP yet another Fatty.

mudman05
14-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Geez Ropes bit of a coincidence that it's happened 2 school holidays in a row. Hope they fix it for free

Fluxburner
14-04-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't want to jinx it but mine is still traveling well brought in '07 release day and no repairs, jusr a HDD upgrade to 500Gb is all. Has been in a cabinet it's whole life, and used to stand vertical until I needed some more space in my hifi cabinet last year.
Still the best unit, just a noisy fan has fatty.

Ropes
14-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Geez Ropes bit of a coincidence that it's happened 2 school holidays in a row. Hope they fix it for free

Thanks Muddy, indeed they are fixing for free, but have warned it may not come good. Poor kid.

Locoevo
15-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Yea mines the same, the noisy fan is because of a update Sony did i think, they speed it up to combat the heating??? i'm not sure, i think that's what Stiff said.

Fluxburner
17-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Oh ok I was thinking it was getting tired and the heat sink wasn't handling the load, causing the fan to kick it up a notch or 4. So it's an update ramping up the fan speed is all then, in that case all is well. I was going to put some DC PC fans mounted into the cabinet but I won't now, I did however open the back of my cabinet up to dissipate the heat and I also always open the glass door on the cabinet when PS3 is running as it gets hot in there otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using You Mum

nurfman
13-06-2012, 02:34 PM
OK my sons PS3 slim 120G is playing up.

Turns on and goes into XMB not a problem , i insert a game ie LBP2 and it loads the disk (blue light indicates) then it either starts no worries or makes a clicking noise and no disk is shown. I want to fix it myself. My fault finding has led me to 3 conclusions (disks are clean btw)
1). Its perhaps a dirty laser (bit iffy but possible) to rectify ill need to buy a Blu Ray cleaner around $15
2). Laser is working intermitently (again bit iffy once game is loaded will run fine till its turned off to rectify ill need to buy a Blu Ray laser Around $40
3). Blu Ray Laser is fine and somehow my son (5yo) has stuffed the drive mechanisism to rectify ill need to buy a Blu Ray Drive assembly Around $80

Heres a youtube clip of a guy with a similar problem .....but no answer. please excuse the clip quality but its the noise that i want you to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTwMtFV8KlQ

AStiffBreeze
13-06-2012, 02:43 PM
OK my sons PS3 slim 120G is playing up.

Turns on and goes into XMB not a problem , i insert a game ie LBP2 and it loads the disk (blue light indicates) then it either starts no worries or makes a clicking noise and no disk is shown.

When you say "clicking noise", do you mean you insert it and you hear the normal "disc being taken in" crunching noise as you insert the disc, but then after a short period you hear another crunching noise as if the disc was being inserted/ejected (but neither is happening)? Like at 2:08 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKTeJi8Fsck

nurfman
13-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Yep thats right seems to load disk then tries to read disk then ...yep like 2.08

JORDS686
13-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Mine does the same, only I get a blank black screen and a hard lock up... It does this approximately 50% of the time.

AStiffBreeze
13-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Yep thats right seems to load disk then tries to read disk then ...yep like 2.08
Sounds like it's dust on the lens. If so, this is the solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXrEyE3OwbQ

My slim has similar symptoms but it mostly happens with Blu-ray movies rather than games. Once it starts happening with games I'll take mine apart and clean the lens.

Diddy_george
13-06-2012, 04:07 PM
hey fellas, its diddy here.

i have a 500gb SATA 2.5" HD. will this go into my ps3? also how could i transfer all my save files etc to an external HD to "re-load" them on to the new 500gb HD onces its in the ps3

Sw3Et
13-06-2012, 04:13 PM

http://stickerish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/YouDontSayBlackWithTextSS.png

any "laptop" hard drive works in a ps3, You can save some of your save files onto a usb and load them back in once you swap hard drives, but for some reason there are some games which don't let you (which resulted in a lot of wasted hours for me when I swapped mine)

Diddy_george
13-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Hi Fellas, DIddy here again :P

is it just a matter of selecting " COPY MULTIPLE"?

AStiffBreeze
13-06-2012, 04:59 PM

i have a 500gb SATA 2.5" HD. will this go into my ps3? also how could i transfer all my save files etc to an external HD to "re-load" them on to the new 500gb HD onces its in the ps3
Check out this thread mate:

http://www.ausforces.com/showthread.php?5967-Cool-Add-Ons-Peripherals-For-Your-PS3

gumballs21
21-07-2012, 04:59 PM
It said to keep it cool by putting ice on it and it melted and broke my ps3 :( there is smoke coming out of it :(

jk jk

gumballs21
21-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Had mine for 4 years and it died, so i got a new one and the saves didn't really matter because it was mainly online cod at the time and the stats are saved online :)

RAT072
03-05-2013, 01:36 PM
So my playstation has died again from YLOD. It might be about a month, til I'm back on the battlefield. To the friends I,ve made and ran with so far its been awesome, and I'm glad to be a part of AUF.So I'll be scanning the forums for the next little bit to stay in tune with everything. Til I sign in again, have fun.

AStiffBreeze
03-05-2013, 01:37 PM
So my playstation has died again from YLOD. It might be about a month, til I'm back on the battlefield. To the friends I,ve made and ran with so far its been awesome, and I'm glad to be a part of AUF.So I'll be scanning the forums for the next little bit to stay in tune with everything. Til I sign in again, have fun.
I know that feel bro.

RAT072
03-05-2013, 01:46 PM
I know that feel bro.

Yeah mate it sucks. It did it about a month ago and it cost me a bottle of wild turkey to get it fixed. Don't think I'll bother with it again this time though. Might just get a pre-loved one again, found one for $158 from EB games,buy the timeI trade in the busted one, it won't be too bad, or get a slim. Either way it's going to be a little wait. Just wanted to let the platoon know so they know why I've been idle. Just can't believe it happened to me last night during the 100 v non 100.

RAT072
06-05-2013, 07:46 PM
So I'm wondering if when I sign in again from a new PS3 will ally stats be the same. I'm not too worried about transferring stuff on the hard drive because all I play is BF3 multiplayer. But if I wanted too how can I transfer info from a dead PS3 to a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using AUF Forums mobile app

Rob_Cliffeild
06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
So I'm wondering if when I sign in again from a new PS3 will ally stats be the same. I'm not too worried about transferring stuff on the hard drive because all I play is BF3 multiplayer. But if I wanted too how can I transfer info from a dead PS3 to a new one.

Transfer your data as u may want game saves for the future ... and its good practice :D

AUF Android TapaTalk stole my dogtags

AStiffBreeze
06-05-2013, 08:12 PM

You can't transfer data from a dead PS3 to a new one. If you remove the HDD and insert it into a new PS3 it'll ask you to format before you can use it. If you had PS+ then your cloud saves will still be available, and any data which is stored on third party servers (e.g. your BF3 stats) will be fine.

There might be some tools to read your old HDD on a PC, but I suspect you would have needed your old PS3 to have been running CFW, and you would have probably needed to have dumped your root key already. I'm not entirely sure how the PS3 file system encryption works though, that's one area I haven't really played around with.

Posted from my phone

RAT072
07-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I guess I'll just have to sign in when the new PS3 comes, re download everything, and hope Ive still got all the BF3 content.

bigfatant
08-05-2013, 08:01 AM
downloadable content is linked between your psn nick and your ps3 unit id.. you only get two to link to but you can reset that on the playstation website if you ever lose access to the older linked console..i think you can reset once or so every year..

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2297/~/activate-%2F-deactivate-a-ps3

RAT072
08-05-2013, 12:11 PM
downloadable content is linked between your psn nick and your ps3 unit id.. you only get two to link to but you can reset that on the playstation website if you ever lose access to the older linked console..i think you can reset once or so every year..

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2297/~/activate-%2F-deactivate-a-ps3

Thanks ant.

Sent from my iPad using AUF Forums mobile app

murph_BTK
08-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Mate if your stuck for a PS3 I have an original fat 40gig PS3 nothing wrong with (the last time I check, which was approximately 3 months ago) it is a lot louder than my new PS3. Comes with a HDMI & a controller, But all in all it's good to use. All I want for it is a $50 PSN card or same in a EB Games card and its yours.

PS: getting it to you is your responsibility. If your interested PM. I will then double check its all good. And or I could send you some pictures of it.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy 4S

RAT072
12-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Mate if your stuck for a PS3 I have an original fat 40gig PS3 nothing wrong with (the last time I check, which was approximately 3 months ago) it is a lot louder than my new PS3. Comes with a HDMI & a controller, But all in all it's good to use. All I want for it is a $50 PSN card or same in a EB Games card and its yours.

PS: getting it to you is your responsibility. If your interested PM. I will then double check its all good. And or I could send you some pictures of it.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy 4S

Thanks Murph, I'll let you know. Where abouts is it, and other than an obvious answer, which Australian State.

Sent from my iPad using AUF Forums mobile app

Fluxburner
12-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Ok so it's finally happened the end of an era!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hV3nUdpBjbM/T55-O2ZXdVI/AAAAAAAAJWY/XNuUeqVV2ao/s1600/ylod-demotivational-posters-1317581766.jpg

Original '07 Fatty here "gone", it was a hand me down to my son and has just had the YLOD!

It was a faithful sturdy but loud companion, and a great heater on those cold nights when you wanted to heat up the room, just put COD in and let the heat sink fan do the rest.
To say the young fella was devastated, would be an understatement.... lol
Well not one to go down without a fight I'm off to JCar to try to resurrect this fat boy with some pliers and a blow dryer .......

rb---1
12-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Ok so it's finally happened the end of an era!

Original '07 Fatty here "gone", it was a hand me down to my son and has just had the YLOD!

Oh no!! Good effort for the ol' Fatty though. I had a launch model which died on me about 2 years ago and I was devastated. Ended up paying someone to fix it, and then it decided 3 months later to bring on YLOD number 2. Had my slim model since, and loved the fact that I could swap over my 500GB hard drive with so much ease.

TheHotHead
12-05-2014, 03:03 PM
RIP Fatty.

What a fighter <3

SNKYwolf
12-05-2014, 03:05 PM
My fatty sounds like its on its way out :/ also quitting a game makes it reset XD not long now :(

See you on the battlefield or my elgato game capture will.

SNKYwolf
12-05-2014, 03:32 PM
My fatty sounds like its on its way out :/ also quitting a game makes it reset XD not long now :(

See you on the battlefield or my elgato game capture will.

krunt0xen
12-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Back it up while you still can Snky.

Fluxburner
12-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Ok so that Fat PS3 I told you about earlier rite is like Jesus. It died, it was dead, as I said in its obituary above .....

and now it has risen again! :D

So I checked out the PS3 YLOD repair method. Seemed easy enough.Especially liked the in the box with the hairdryer method, have to say lol'ed on that one, and then I turned to looking at pictures of guys that actually put there ps3's in the oven or the freezer to fix the YLOD and again Iol 'ed and gave out a couple of WTF's?
Whats with this guy below ?

Numbnuts says: So I was told that you could fix your YLOD PS3 by baking it in the oven for 20 minutes on 180℃. I attached a picture.

Yeah that'll work. lol

http://media.bestofmicro.com/fire-ps3-burnt,A-0-256968-13.jpg

http://beforeitsnews.com/contributor/upload/30080/images/fullretard.jpg

I even saw a video clip of some idiot putting his PS3 in the microwave. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3JixTvfgnM) Hmmm ?

Anyway armed with my trusty thermal paste and my heat gun. I ripped that fat boy down earlier in search of the mother of boards, till there were bits of shit and screws everywhere. I prayed to baby Jesus with my trusty heat gun to take away this dreaded evil YLOD and turn this black sabbath Fatty back into all its former explosion making pixel creating glory.
Some hours later and we plug it back in with the young lad looking on like someone just offered him back his torn jocks after the mother of all wedgies was performed on him. Interesting look I must confess I lol'ed again.

Powered it up and what do you know..... presto it runs like Frankensteins monster from the dead. No beeps, or yellow light , it lives again to heat up another cold bedroom at night, and comfort you with its sweet drone from that incredibly loud fan that sounds like it should actually be attached to one of these

http://william8.edublogs.org/files/2011/01/AirBoat-16glx5m.gif

rather than a little black glory box of love.

Lets see how she goes from now?

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae2/harold_cakington/YLOD-4.jpg (http://s952.photobucket.com/user/harold_cakington/media/YLOD-4.jpg.html)

rb---1
13-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Did u clean the fan out while it was in pieces?

Fluxburner
13-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Sure did , cleaned all the dust off of everything with compressed air. Was build up on the resistors on the board, and that area of the heat sink.Not so much on the fan itself to be honest. Just some surface dust on the blades really.

Stonemull
13-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Not tackled a BGA myself, impress !

http://i.imgur.com/0mdSb4c.png

Officially an old fart

mudman05
13-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Nice work Flux on the repair, my original fatty never left the operating table & was pronounced dead after I tried to resurrect

AStiffBreeze
13-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Ok so that Fat PS3 I told you about earlier rite is like Jesus. It died, it was dead, as I said in its obituary above .....

and now it has risen again! :D

So I checked out the PS3 YLOD repair method. Seemed easy enough.Especially liked the in the box with the hairdryer method, have to say lol'ed on that one, and then I turned to looking at pictures of guys that actually put there ps3's in the oven or the freezer to fix the YLOD and again Iol 'ed and gave out a couple of WTF's?
Whats with this guy below ?

Yeah that'll work. lol

http://media.bestofmicro.com/fire-ps3-burnt,A-0-256968-13.jpg

http://beforeitsnews.com/contributor/upload/30080/images/fullretard.jpg

I even saw a video clip of some idiot putting his PS3 in the microwave. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3JixTvfgnM) Hmmm ?

Anyway armed with my trusty thermal paste and my heat gun. I ripped that fat boy down earlier in search of the mother of boards, till there were bits of shit and screws everywhere. I prayed to baby Jesus with my trusty heat gun to take away this dreaded evil YLOD and turn this black sabbath Fatty back into all its former explosion making pixel creating glory.
Some hours later and we plug it back in with the young lad looking on like someone just offered him back his torn jocks after the mother of all wedgies was performed on him. Interesting look I must confess I lol'ed again.

Powered it up and what do you know..... presto it runs like Frankensteins monster from the dead. No beeps, or yellow light , it lives again to heat up another cold bedroom at night, and comfort you with its sweet drone from that incredibly loud fan that sounds like it should actually be attached to one of these

http://william8.edublogs.org/files/2011/01/AirBoat-16glx5m.gif

rather than a little black glory box of love.

Lets see how she goes from now?

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae2/harold_cakington/YLOD-4.jpg (http://s952.photobucket.com/user/harold_cakington/media/YLOD-4.jpg.html)

Well done flux :D

I know it goes without saying, but generally repaired YLODs have a fairly short lifespan, so don't forget to begin succession planning (and back up any important saves) ;)

Interested in joining AUF? Click here. (http://www.ausforces.com/showthread.php?4-An-introduction-to-AUF-(START-HERE!)&p=12)

Fluxburner
14-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Haha cheers guys. Great certificate , thanks Stoney.
Will be interesting how long it lasts? Yeah backed important stuff up since wasnt expecting to retrieve it originally so bonus there.
It likes the refurb. So far the fan hasn't even gone into hi gear yet, where as before it was maxing out with ease.