PDA

View Full Version : PS3 as a media hub

R3PLIKATE
01-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Aye, I know quite a few of you guys use your PS3 to stream movies and TV you legally acquired from your PC onto your TV. Use the PS3 as a media hub/centre/slut.

I'm sure we had threads on this somewhere; someone point me in the right direction? Else, someone let me know how.

From what I understand should be easy.

Just open up a wirless network (or wired) from my PC to my PS3 and access the shared folders right?

Kacoul-
01-10-2010, 11:26 AM
pretty much yes.

I go to:

XMBVIDEO>*COMPUTERNAME*>VIDEOS>FOLDERS>VIDEOS

and then what ever you wanna watch from there.

LeFarns
01-10-2010, 11:29 AM
yeah i use ps3 media server on my pc to stream to PS. it is pretty cool as i can turn subtitles on or off from the ps3 instead of having ot remove it from the PC. Plus i get heaps of transcode options.

I don't know what i would do without my PS as the DLNA connection for my TV is dodge and harldy ever works properly

repercuss
01-10-2010, 11:31 AM
You need a DLNA server thingy. Thats the actual software that the PS3 connects to so it can browse and play media.

I use this one: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/ (beta version seems to work better for me than the stable)

And it works great, most avi's "Just Work"tm and it can convert on the fly anything that is in an incompatible format.

There are others out there but this works the best for me. Setup is simple pretty much just tell it where your media is and away it goes.

Some torrent programs also have built in DLNA servers (azureus/vuze does) that will automagically share stuff thats finished.

YNWA01
01-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah I use VUZE on my Mac to steam to my PS3 and watch movie files on my Bravia. Er, thats what we're talking about yeah?

Are there any other freeware media server thingos that can do the same for Macs?

CheekyChimpanzee
01-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah I use VUZE on my Mac to steam to my PS3 and watch movie files on my Bravia. Er, thats what we're talking about yeah?

Are there any other freeware media server thingos that can do the same for Macs?

I'm only aware of VUZE but I haven't searched for anything.

The main issue is that I remove pretty much all files from my VUZE library because I leech, rather than seed. (oh yes, im one of those).

Chiips
01-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm only aware of VUZE but I haven't searched for anything.

The main issue is that I remove pretty much all files from my VUZE library because I leech, rather than seed. (oh yes, im one of those).

You do your "seeding" in another way..... little chimps on the way?

Agreed on PS3MediaServer.... although it sometimes ran poorly on my crap PC resulting in freezes or low fps

Might have to checkout VUZE

AStiffBreeze
01-10-2010, 12:56 PM

PS3 Media Server is available on Mac as well (it's written in Java so easily ported). I don't really use it but have heard good things about it. You can get it here:

http://download.cnet.com/PS3-Media-Server/3000-18506_4-10910073.html?tag=mncol;2

R3PLIKATE
01-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Cheers guys!

LeFarns
01-10-2010, 01:12 PM
VUZE is rubbish compared to PS3MediaServer..... new beta version has support for H264 and DTS Dolby...pretty customisable is you know what you are doing.

YNWA01
01-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Uh oh, you too huh? :cheers2:

@ Stiffy, thanks for the advice. Will have a look over the weekend.

Snickersma
01-10-2010, 03:42 PM
VUZE is rubbish compared to PS3MediaServer..... new beta version has support for H264 and DTS Dolby...pretty customisable is you know what you are doing.

I can never get it to work in a stable way though.. Like some times it would appear on my ps3 as an option .. Sometimes not. Becomes annoying as all he'll after a while. Same experience for me with other servers such as tversity. For some god knows reason they just crash .. Or they stutter wh

kobeson
01-10-2010, 03:49 PM
yeah i use ps3 media server on my pc to stream to PS. it is pretty cool as i can turn subtitles on or off from the ps3 instead of having ot remove it from the PC. Plus i get heaps of transcode options.

I don't know what i would do without my PS as the DLNA connection for my TV is dodge and harldy ever works properly

I use PS3MS also, but I can't turn subs off from the PS3 - how the f can you do it mate?? I always have to check "Definitely disable subtitles" on the PC...

Joshizzled
01-10-2010, 04:49 PM
ive been using rthe ps3 are a media centre recently and its fucking great!

Im using VUZE, copying season 3 of Californication as we speak :)

dutch47
01-10-2010, 05:23 PM
i use vuze to and im a leecher also i just stop them from seeding manualy piece o piss and i find it really stable had no issue with it what so ever

Xx_C3PO_xX
02-10-2010, 08:06 AM
i Use MPC star it seems to work fine plays in fulll surround sound also but i may give this VUZE a try though

CheekyChimpanzee
02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
PS3 Media Server is available on Mac as well (it's written in Java so easily ported). I don't really use it but have heard good things about it. You can get it here:

http://download.cnet.com/PS3-Media-Server/3000-18506_4-10910073.html?tag=mncol;2

downloaded this, dragged it to applications.

Double clicked it and nothing.... no response... nothing loads etc.

How are you supposed to use it? No readme in the .dmg and no instructions on the blogsite.

Drace_Sabin
02-10-2010, 08:02 PM
try tversity its really simple to get going on a pc/ps3, its what i use

AStiffBreeze
02-10-2010, 10:47 PM
downloaded this, dragged it to applications.

Double clicked it and nothing.... no response... nothing loads etc.

How are you supposed to use it? No readme in the .dmg and no instructions on the blogsite.

You double-click it and it opens up (with a tabbed window as the interface). Try downloading it from a different source maybe, or trashing it's prefs, or doing a permissions check on your drive. Make sure you have the latest java updates as well. As I said I don't really use it, but I do have version 1.10.5 on here and I just checked and it works fine.

YNWA01
02-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I just got it too, and again its not working. When trying to get a movie to play I click on the movie file but just get a message "There are no tracks" or "The data is corrupted".

Strangely it did play some MP4s ripped from a DVD (The Wire), but it only seemed to play these as they had an * at the end of the file type i.e. MP4*.

Anyone got any ideas, am I not doing something I should be after installing this program?

CheekyChimpanzee
04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
You double-click it and it opens up (with a tabbed window as the interface). Try downloading it from a different source maybe, or trashing it's prefs, or doing a permissions check on your drive. Make sure you have the latest java updates as well. As I said I don't really use it, but I do have version 1.10.5 on here and I just checked and it works fine.

Hmm.. when i double click it gives the little ghosty animation like it's opening.. but nothing actually opens. No window to tab across etc.

I'll try trashing the prefs (pretty sure all my system stuff is up to date).

I just got it too, and again its not working. When trying to get a movie to play I click on the movie file but just get a message "There are no tracks" or "The data is corrupted".

Strangely it did play some MP4s ripped from a DVD (The Wire), but it only seemed to play these as they had an * at the end of the file type i.e. MP4*.

Anyone got any ideas, am I not doing something I should be after installing this program?

Hmm odd.. but at least you're doing better than me!

LeFarns
04-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I can never get it to work in a stable way though.. Like some times it would appear on my ps3 as an option .. Sometimes not. Becomes annoying as all he'll after a while. Same experience for me with other servers such as tversity. For some god knows reason they just crash .. Or they stutter wh

if it doesn't just go into windows services and restart the PS3 service.

LeFarns
04-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I use PS3MS also, but I can't turn subs off from the PS3 - how the f can you do it mate?? I always have to check "Definitely disable subtitles" on the PC...

its an option in videos settings on the media server tab. ie: when you start the ps and go to videos, select ps3 media server, and down the bottom it will save video settings or something like that...all the option should be right there.

kobeson
04-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Ok, cheers will check that out tonight :D

Pain in the arse to have to run to the other end of the house to my pc all the time...

CheekyChimpanzee
07-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Still can't make this banshee load shit.

Or work.

repercuss
08-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Step one is make sure your using the latest BETA version, I find its more stable than the stable version and more shit works. EDIT - Looks like they have _just_ released new versions and beta versions so possibly the stable version is the way to go now.

The *at the end of the file means it will be transcoded on the fly, which means that its in a format that the PS3 can't handle (or ps3ms thinks so anyway)

The forums are here: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/
and can be pretty helpful.

As to anything you should do after install, no, it "should" just work, it includes all the ffmpeg crap that it needs to work, from the web site:

"Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also."

YNWA01
09-10-2010, 12:03 AM
+REP for Player. I got it working last night but you post was full of good, helpful sh*t. I like that.

R3PLIKATE
22-11-2010, 01:31 PM
OK. So I'm a bit noobish with this stuff, so I have a few questions.

Firstly, I downloaded and installed the latest version of PS3MediaServer on my PC. No worries there. Created a local hoc (pc to pc) wireless network so I could share, as I presume such a network is needed.Opened up media sharing and file sharing in the control panel (using Windows Visa). Turn on the PS3 and try to detect media servers but it says that no ethernet cable can be detected. I have a 60GB so I know I have wireless capabilities, but does the PS3 not support wireless media sharing with a PC? Its not that much of an issue I guess, I have 2 ethernet ports in my PC so I can just throw another cord in, but its kinda annoying.

On that note, a few other things
1. Does PS3MediaServer support .avi and .mkv file types? Cause thats what most torrents will be in, and what all mine are in.
2. Internet from modem to PC. If I put another ethernet from PC to PS3, can I use internet on the PS3 through PC?

Cheers guys for any and all help.

LeFarns
22-11-2010, 02:09 PM
When you say you "createda local hoc" i am assuming you did this using a wireless router with NAT and not just on your PC. Stupid question but is your PS and PC on the same IP network? Is the wireless turned on on the PS3? (you have to enable it).

Also the ethernet cable should go from the router/modem to the PS3. Not from the PC to PS3.

R3PLIKATE
22-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Ummm. Created the hoc on my PC.

I have one ethernet cable that I share between my PS3 and PC depending which one I want online. I'll have to check if wireless is turned on, on my PS3, but it should be.

And I was merely wondering if I could channel internet through my PC to my PS3 using a second ethernet cable, since I have to share one between the two at the moment.

LeFarns
22-11-2010, 04:14 PM
ummm what? you are trying to run a connect physical ethernet from your PC to the PS3? not sure that will work. usually you would
1. have a modem/router that has wireless and 4 physical ehternet ports attached (to kind off act like a hub). this allows you to share your internet connection with multiple internal appliances, such as PC and PS3
2. connect both PC and PS3 to either the wireless router via wireless or physical connection into an available switch port
3. configure the modem/router with a private ip range of say router: 192.168.1.1/24, pc 192.168.1.2/24, ps3: 192.168.1.3/24. that would put them all on the same subnet and should enable your PS to access media on PC.

R3PLIKATE
22-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah dude. I get that. I know it seems 'weird' to connect an ethernet cable from my PC to my PS3, but if I could AND if that allowed me to use my net it would save me having to constantly switch. Like it would go Modem > PC > PS3; the PC would in essence 'channel' the net, just be another system for it to pass through. Don't worry about it. #3 was what I really wanted to know. I'll have to do some fiddling round, we have like 4 devices running off our modem, I suppose I'll set the PS3 up for wireless again, since I'm not playing COD at the moment and don't need a perfect connection.

Thanks LeFarns. Static IP's are better for torrenting anyways.