PDA

View Full Version : PS3 fan is getting louder...

SnakeSDR
25-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Over the last 2 months you may have noticed I have not been online as much as I used to be. Sure I've been playing some Xbox, but in general I'm not doing as much gaming. There have been a few reasons for this, but one of the main reasons I havn't been jumping on my PS3 is because suddenly the thing is starting to generate more heat and get louder, and not necessarily because it's doing something taxing.

Within 10 minutes the console goes from inaudible at my typical playing distance (bout 6 feet) to quite noticeable. It's not jet engine loud (I've had it get that loud on God of War III a few months back after a particularly long session) but its enough to grab my attention even when a game or movie is blaring. It's now louder then my xbox, and close to my 3 year old PC.

It's a 40gb model with a 500gb hdd in it. I'm sure it was a 5400rpm drive but I'm going to do a backup tomorrow so that I can take it out and check (I heard 7200rpm drives can cause the console to overheat, dunno if it's true but I'm covering all bases).

What I would like from you guys is some advice on what to do next, or if this is even a big issue. I've had games crash before, but I'm pretty sure it's been the game being buggy, like Fallout 3 for example (and its happened a long while before any of this loud fan business). Am I just being paranoid or is this the beginning of the end for my PS3? I'd like any and all input you guys can offer.

Ideally I would like to not buy a new ps3, but I would rather that then have this one die and send it to sony and get a refurb.

P.S. It is out of warranty, well out of warranty lol. Also has anyone replaced the thermal paste in their PS3?

repercuss
25-09-2010, 10:48 PM
haha well... Lucky you. Mine gets "Jet Engine" loud after about 30 seconds of gaming or watching a dvd or bdrom etc.

Its pretty ridiculous.

N0TORIOUS
25-09-2010, 11:03 PM
ya my xbox is shocking, But i just turn the volume up louder, dnt no about ps3 but my xbox been doing it for like 6 months and it works fine so i dnt think u need to stress m8, maybe u could just get new fan even.

FRANKSEY
25-09-2010, 11:13 PM
ya my xbox is shocking, But i just turn the volume up louder, dnt no about ps3 but my xbox been doing it for like 6 months and it works fine so i dnt think u need to stress m8, maybe u could just get new fan even.

Xboxs are naturally loud, PS3's are meant to be really quiet

YNWA01
25-09-2010, 11:16 PM
My PS3 had real bad fan noise after a while and then eventually I got YLOD! Since I got it repaired it rarely goes into "fan noise' mode, maybe never has come to think of it.

AStiffBreeze
25-09-2010, 11:32 PM
You probably know everything I've put here but it's probably better to say too much rather than too little :)

Fan speed in general is related to the internal temp sensors, so if the temperature is reading higher inside your PS3 then the fans will be run at a higher RPM which will mean more noise. So anything that might increase the temp inside your PS3 might be the culprit. I'm assuming the ambient temperature of the room where your PS3 is stored hasn't changed, but if you've moved it to a different room or part of the room where it might get hotter then maybe consider moving it back.

Otherwise the biggest issue in terms of internal temperature will generally be airflow obstructions. Make sure there is plenty of room around the PS3 inlet and exhaust vents so that the fans can easily bring cooler air in and move the warmer air out of the PS3's housing - this is especially important at the rear. If you do have plenty of room around the vents then maybe a build up of dust is restricting airflow; use a low powered vacuum cleaner against the vents to try and remove excess dust.

Sometimes a damaged bearing in a fan will lead to increased noise irrespective of the speed at which the fan is running.

Beyond that, it could indeed be thermal paste issues; if not enough is applied you'll see increased temps, and the same if too much is applied. I haven't really followed the various PS3 models very closely, I remember reading at one point that Sony had used way too much paste but then hearing later that it was because the design of one of the PS3 revisions (can't recall which one) didn't allow for very good contact between the heat sink and the chips so Sony just used the paste the bridge the gap (not exactly a quality design!).

asadoxian
26-09-2010, 05:28 AM
You probably know everything I've put here but it's probably better to say too much rather than too little :)

Fan speed in general is related to the internal temp sensors, so if the temperature is reading higher inside your PS3 then the fans will be run at a higher RPM which will mean more noise. So anything that might increase the temp inside your PS3 might be the culprit. I'm assuming the ambient temperature of the room where your PS3 is stored hasn't changed, but if you've moved it to a different room or part of the room where it might get hotter then maybe consider moving it back.

Otherwise the biggest issue in terms of internal temperature will generally be airflow obstructions. Make sure there is plenty of room around the PS3 inlet and exhaust vents so that the fans can easily bring cooler air in and move the warmer air out of the PS3's housing - this is especially important at the rear. If you do have plenty of room around the vents then maybe a build up of dust is restricting airflow; use a low powered vacuum cleaner against the vents to try and remove excess dust.

Sometimes a damaged bearing in a fan will lead to increased noise irrespective of the speed at which the fan is running.

Beyond that, it could indeed be thermal paste issues; if not enough is applied you'll see increased temps, and the same if too much is applied. I haven't really followed the various PS3 models very closely, I remember reading at one point that Sony had used way too much paste but then hearing later that it was because the design of one of the PS3 revisions (can't recall which one) didn't allow for very good contact between the heat sink and the chips so Sony just used the paste the bridge the gap (not exactly a quality design!).

Most common issue would be change in air flow being obstructed or room temp resulting in the fan needing to do more work but generally if your fan is loud it's doing too much work it means your system is probably running at higher than desired temp at first this may not be an issue but if your internals are constantly rrunning at that higher temp it will almost definitely reduce the life of your ps3 another issue is if your fan gets too clogged with dust this can also cause the fan to work harder as it needs more energy to rotate. It would be cool if you could intergrate a liquid cooling system into you ps3 I would jus extend the one I recently installed to my pc system to it :laugh:

Iunio
26-09-2010, 09:44 AM
i'm thinking it might just be nearing the end of its life cycle.
i mean, you got 32 platinum trophies out of it, that's pretty good value lol

SnakeSDR
26-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Ok, the PS3 was on a shelf on my tv stand before, with less breathing room then it has now (open spot on top of a unit). I made this change shortly after it started getting loud, with the hope that giving it more room to breath would cool it down, no such luck. Room temperature has been stupid cold lately, so thats not the issue (but will be an issue in a couple of months, which I'm very worried about). I've vacuumed the vents for dust twice, and got a bit out, but there didn't seem to be a large build up around the vents atleast. I'm starting to think it's had it's day and I have to look at replacing it before it dies (lots of copy protected game saves I want to transfer eg Demon's Souls, I would never start that game again). Yeah I've gotten a lot of play out of the PS3, but I got twice as much out of my PS2. That little machine just kept on truckin' for 7 years, whereas I have had the PS3 for about 2 and a half.

Anyway, I might look into the thermal paste stuff some more, I will let you guys know what I end up doing.

P.S. When you back up your PS3's data onto an external HDD, and restore it onto a new PS3, will copy protected saves just not transfer over? Does anybody know about this first hand?

AStiffBreeze
26-09-2010, 12:18 PM
P.S. When you back up your PS3's data onto an external HDD, and restore it onto a new PS3, will copy protected saves just not transfer over? Does anybody know about this first hand?

If you have the two PS3s at the same time you can use the Data Transfer Utility to supposedly copy everything from one to the other. In my case this didn't do shit: it kept failing and I had to give up.

If you use the backup utility and then restore the backup to a different machine, copy protected saves won't transfer over. I think some other things will also fail (PSN demos and games?).

To get copy protected saves off there you could possibly jailbreak your old PS3 and then copy them off using the blackbox FTP server.

CheekyChimpanzee
27-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I heard 7200rpm drives can cause the console to overheat, dunno if it's true but I'm covering all bases

Hmm.. i'll be upgrading my HD soon enough.

Is this true? Should I be looking for a lesser speed drive?

I hope you resolve this doc, I'm watching with interest because mine has ALWAYS pumped into overdrive after an hour or two of gaming.... not looking forward to dec-feb up here for that...

Drace_Sabin
27-09-2010, 12:43 PM
i thought the speed variant was a myth and people only went with the 5400 cuz thats what they use out of the box

bigfatant
27-09-2010, 06:37 PM
External fan people! $20 investment for your $500 product is well worth it!

murph_BTK
27-09-2010, 07:51 PM
External fan people! $20 investment for your $500 product is well worth it!

true that bigfatant
I have a 500GB HDD in my PS3 with a 7200rpm and to this stage no probs its been almost a year now I have bought a cooling fan for it and no probs it sits in the TV cabinet with minimal external airflow if its a real hot day or I intend to play for more than 2hrs I do put a small desk fan directly on the PS3 for added airflow .. good luck snakes

CheekyChimpanzee
27-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Ooh what type of fan big fella?? URL eg?

YNWA01
27-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Hopefully this kind of fan...

http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/larissa-riquelme/larissa_riquelme.jpg

Nope, scratch that, she just made me all hot in the groin.

Drace_Sabin
27-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Hopefully this kind of fan...

http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/larissa-riquelme/larissa_riquelme.jpg

Nope, scratch that, she just made me all hot in the groin.

haha that chick is in zoo mag almost everyweek

Capt_Jack_West
27-09-2010, 10:27 PM
haha that chick is in zoo mag almost everyweek

With good reason it would seem

bigfatant
28-09-2010, 08:38 AM

I've used these two PS3 specific external cooling fans before. They connect straight to the USB and cools the front. They didn't last. I've attached two of the photos for them.

The other attached picture is what I'm now using which is a box fan sitting towards the top/disc loading side of my FAT Ps3.

This looks good if you have a Fat.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10226
I haven't tried this external fan that sits on the PS3 but I think it's the best one you can get that is custom made for the PS3 fat. US17 + delivery, but I'm sure you can find something similar from an Aussie seller or ebay.

Another one.
http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_13745_PS3__Powerwave_HorizontalStand_with_Coolin g_Fans
This is a weird one which sits under the PS3 but it's pretty cheap and it's a local website. Helpful if you want to show off your ps3 with the blue light in an entertainment centre. But I never liked these blue LED lights for some reason.

For the SLIM
I've seen two on EBAY. There is a really small one that plugs into the USB and has only one fan.. probably not a good throughput but may work a little.

The other one sits on the bottom has two small fans and probably won't last that long but for $17 bucks it's ok.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-1-Cooling-Fan-Stand-Sony-PS3-Slim-Console-/360281073786?pt=AU_Video_Game_Accessories&hash=item53e26ce87a#ht_2903wt_1137

murph_BTK
28-09-2010, 08:48 AM

by "big fella" I assume you mean me ( you been talking to the missus again??) I picked a up my PS3 fan from game trader $19.95 it plugs into the USB and my FAT PS3 sits on it.. EB had the exact model etc for $79.95.. (thieves) I cant seem to find any picys to post up ( *stiffy to the recuse:blink:) ..i just read that and people could read that a different way :laugh:, but anyhow.... its well worth the $$$$$ my poor old PS3 use to be so hot inside my tv cabinet but now all good........