PDA

View Full Version : ps3 internet conection through a laptop

simnga
12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
My brother just got himself a ps3 and wanted to know if u can connect to the net through his laptop using a lan cable ? as he has no home phone. any help would be great as ill like to take him down in MW2 !! :cheers2:

Chiips
13-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Noticed no one's helped you out yet... so let a noob help u!

Check this link out...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network/Connecting-to-the-ps3-using-a-laptop/m-p/30626669

bigfatant
15-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah it can be done but the lag is absolutely terrible. I know because I was using the wireless broadband setup connected to the PS3 for months. Trying to play FPS is horrible and it would be lucky if he can get anything more than red bars for your connectivity.

And connectivity is worst for wireless broadband networks at the peak times like 6-10pm.
Anyway, it can be done through windows internet connection sharing like Chiips link eludes to, but one of the most important this is that you need to know that the host pc/laptop MUST have an IP of 192.168.0.1 and the PS3 has to set to look for this IP as their server/dhcp/gateway then they'll be able to get online.

They may need to open some firewall/security ports that PS3 needs but you can look for those ports details.

simnga
16-08-2010, 04:55 PM
thanks for the reply s i pass the info on to him..cheers

simnga
17-08-2010, 08:19 AM
yeah he gave it ago but still having no luck .. ill try to get a bit more info of him

Chiips
17-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Might be easier just to get a home phone + internet, or go naked? unless he's in the sticks and cant get wired internet.