PDA

View Full Version : PS3 - Blinking Red Light

mudman05
20-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Well its finally happened to my 60g. Was playing MW2 online & while in a pre game lobby the TV screen went blank, ps3 made a couple of beeps & then turned itself off & the flashing red light started. :scared: Bad news for me is that I don't have any of my game data backed up & its got the disc. Went on yuo tube & looks like i have to pull apart to fix. Anyone have any tips or fixes? Just want to get it working long enough to get data & disc & will then trade in for a new one.

Amusing Kill
20-07-2010, 07:48 AM
bugger mate, sorry to hear about your loss.

Kacoul-
20-07-2010, 11:20 AM
theres a way you can get the disk out, some emergency eject or somethinf, its how i got mine out, but dont know about the hardrive. Didnt care much for mine, just started everything again.

murph_BTK
20-07-2010, 11:57 AM
shit balls mines started to "freeze" while online and I have to shut down and re-start, not sure if its on its last legs
I have also put a 500Gb HDD in it so I have alot of crap on there. Better go out and get me another back up PS3
Im sorry to hear bout yours mate if I now of anything to help I'll be sure to pass it on

AStiffBreeze
20-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Well its finally happened to my 60g. Was playing MW2 online & while in a pre game lobby the TV screen went blank, ps3 made a couple of beeps & then turned itself off & the flashing red light started. :scared: Bad news for me is that I don't have any of my game data backed up & its got the disc. Went on yuo tube & looks like i have to pull apart to fix. Anyone have any tips or fixes? Just want to get it working long enough to get data & disc & will then trade in for a new one.

Did you try Force Eject (hold down the eject button for 6 seconds with the power connected)to get your disc out? Also have you tried unplugging the PS3 from everything (including power) for at least 10 mins before hooking everything back up and turning it back on? Or taking out the internal HDD and then reinserting it (with the PS3 off obviously :p)?

Wijome
20-07-2010, 04:14 PM
shit balls mines started to "freeze" while online and I have to shut down and re-start, not sure if its on its last legs
I have also put a 500Gb HDD in it so I have alot of crap on there. Better go out and get me another back up PS3
Im sorry to hear bout yours mate if I now of anything to help I'll be sure to pass it on

if you can still get it to turn on and you care about your save files connect a portable hard drive to it or just use a memory stick to get your saves.

happened to me 3 times and on the 3rd i didnt repair just gave my dead one to EB for like $100 and bought a slim.
But i had Uncharted 2 stuck in mine and none of the techniques got it out.

CheekyChimpanzee
20-07-2010, 04:16 PM
But i had Uncharted 2 stuck in mine and none of the techniques got it out.

Oooh that's a low blow.

Wijome
20-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Oooh that's a low blow.

i kept the case, as a harsh reminder.

Ranga91
20-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Unlucky Mudman, like said try the force eject, also with the hard drive if you really want to go to the bother maybe find a friend who has a ps3 and put your hard drive in there ps3 and then back it up which is probably to much of a bother but it is an idea.

AStiffBreeze
20-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Unlucky Mudman, like said try the force eject, also with the hard drive if you really want to go to the bother maybe find a friend who has a ps3 and put your hard drive in there ps3 and then back it up which is probably to much of a bother but it is an idea.
You can't swap PS3 hard drives unfortunately, if you put it in another PS3 it won't be recognised :(

mudman05
20-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys, have down the eject button & green light comes on for a brief second, no blue light & then just goes to blinking red light. Also tried the fan test & same thing with that.

Am now scouring you tibe & will probably attempt a fix myself as i have nothing to lose.

Crossy
20-07-2010, 09:28 PM
that's a kick in the balls, i should probably back up my data.

i don't have any Portable hard drives? i have a 4 GB USB? will that work?

YNWA01
20-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys, have down the eject button & green light comes on for a brief second, no blue light & then just goes to blinking red light. Also tried the fan test & same thing with that.

Exactly like mine when it died mate. I couldn't get the disc out either. Took SonY 3 months to return it too after they'd repaired and returned the PS3! :banghead:

mudman05
21-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah it certainly sucks balls. Have purchased heat gun & thermal compound to try & repair. Wish me luck as if all goes well might be on later tonight otherwise will be purchasing new one tomorrow night.

Chieforangutan
21-07-2010, 06:53 PM
bugger mate, sorry to hear about your loss.

bah, a dying ps3 is like a person dying in the world of videogaming clans, eh. aaahahaha.

mudman05
21-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Yeah good point chief. Memorial service will be held Friday at 2pm.

asadoxian
21-07-2010, 07:19 PM
^i'll bring the trumpet

murph_BTK
21-07-2010, 07:33 PM
^i'll bring the trumpet

:gayrepost:

TRUST YOU TO WANNA BLOW SOMETHING!!!!

Kacoul-
21-07-2010, 07:45 PM
bahahahahah

+rep

asadoxian
21-07-2010, 07:54 PM
:gayrepost:

TRUST YOU TO WANNA BLOW SOMETHING!!!!

says the guy with the psn comment "LOVE DOODLE"

mudman05
22-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Well did everything in the vids & still has YLOD :32:& suprisingly no left over screws. Have managed to get disc out thru manual extraction so will be off to the shops after work to get me a new ps3.

BlkR
22-07-2010, 03:13 PM
sorry to hear that mudman, when i had my 60gb ....it YLOD, took it apart, remove the fan, put new thermal compound and it was working fine.... though still sold it quickly just in case it happens again hehehe, bought a ps3 slim instead just to be on the safe side....

mudman05
22-07-2010, 09:24 PM
OK have purchased new 250g slim, so will be on after i set it up.

Wijome
22-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Great choice, i got the 120GB because didnt want to spend the extra cash.
Lucky bloke, you can download anything now without worrying about overfilling hard drive.

Chieforangutan
23-07-2010, 02:05 PM
sorry to hear that mudman, when i had my 60gb ....it YLOD, took it apart, remove the fan, put new thermal compound and it was working fine.... though still sold it quickly just in case it happens again hehehe, bought a ps3 slim instead just to be on the safe side....

dog. :D
10char