PDA

View Full Version : YLOD (heat treatment) FIX WORKS

stoozo
06-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Well after sum deliberation I decided to go for it and strip down my old ps3 and try the re/solder trick(im going to say re-solder cause thats effectively what we are doing) Watched a couple of vids on youtube...

4_Ic1_TY-GU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

...today and decided to go for it with a hairdryer (yes I did use a hair dryer(GASP) the americans dont know my little sister and her hair,cause I knew she'd have the goods :001_cool: ) Well somewhat to my surprise after 10 minutes of not listening and using a hair dryer I was careful not to disturb the board when cooling as this could shift solder causing a short and nothing would ever work again. So after a cooling period of 15-20 minutes(half a beer to be precise) it worked :) Ive just put it all back together and its transfering my old data (hallelujah) to my new slimbo and I will promptly be down to EB's to trade the old girl in tomo!!!!!!!!! Ah the wonders of crappy non-leaded solder and a hair dryer. Anyway I was just writing in here so if anyone is afraid of doing this, dont be,I have and it works a treat and its likely to save you $150 and lots of time sweating over your old data! Besides this i now have a fat ps3 power supply which anyone who needs one can have at a very reasonable price PM me(I bought the power supply before Id done my research properly..silly I know) Watch the vid grab a serious hair dryer or a heat gun and screw driver and have sum fun, and dont forget your new thermal compound to hopefully stop the problem in future!

AStiffBreeze
06-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Congrats stoozo, it's good to hear a success story like that.

YNWA01
06-05-2010, 06:34 PM
lol, pretty ballsy Stoozo, if I tried that I'd probably kill the PS3 and burn the house down too.

stoozo
06-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I was always decent with electronics at High School and ive always had R/C cars and played around with electronics. I build computers too(just built an i3) And the fat was literally junk sitting on the floor so I had nothing to lose except all my old data and mp3s...after watching the vid I thought I understand the concept of re-melting solder,I can pull a heat sink off,and I was positive my sister would have sum kinda phyco hair dryer I could borrow. To easy! Im stoked at least i can get sum kinda coin for it now plus all my old data. I was spewin when it broke being two years out of warranty(its been a trooper that ps3)!

stoozo
06-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Oh and I used the BATHROOM cause everything is tile and its pretty hard to set ceramics on fire! Got to use your head when playing with dangerous things like hairdryers:6:

YNWA01
06-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Did you do it in a full bath?

:tongue_smilie:

Snickersma
06-05-2010, 07:01 PM
I stuck a hairdryer down my pants once... sizzling ;)

stoozo
06-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Did you do it in a full bath?

:tongue_smilie:

Nope cant say i did...I dont wana end up as a Darwin Award and you know I would using a hair dryer in the bathroom like that, I was just asking for something strange and unfortunate to happen to me!

Revs77
06-05-2010, 07:19 PM
I've seen another fix which seems really simple just by using washers. There is no need to completely disassemble the PS3 and the washers just add more pressure.

stoozo
06-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I've seen another fix which seems really simple just by using washers. There is no need to completely disassemble the PS3 and the washers just add more pressure.

Cool do you have a link?

Revs77
06-05-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.haxnetwork.net/2010/04/ps3-ylod-easy-washer-fix-tutorial/
It was posted through N4G.com

I had YLOD a while ago now and was looking at the fix you did but wasn't game enough to try it and got it repaired through a shop.

Saw the article where a YLOD fix was achievable by using washers and it really did seem nice and simple and something I defiantly would have tried.

Congratulations on the repair though.

Heroes2261
06-05-2010, 10:48 PM
my way of fixing it for free is abusing sony until they send me a Refurbished system for free it works!!

bostonkaos
07-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Thats awesome I got YLOD on Thursday night!! I'll give it a go!!!

Deckung
07-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Thats awesome I got YLOD on Thursday night!! I'll give it a go!!!

Let us know if it works. I have a problem with the blu-ray laser on my 60gig, I'm gonna attempt to replace the laser myself, looks piss easy. Will order the laser of ebay next week.

CheekyChimpanzee
07-05-2010, 03:36 PM
So after a cooling period of 15-20 minutes (half a beer to be precise)

Jesus. It must take you a year to get pissed.

stoozo
08-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Let us know if it works. I have a problem with the blu-ray laser on my 60gig, I'm gonna attempt to replace the laser myself, looks piss easy. Will order the laser of ebay next week.

Yeah it is I originally thought it was my power supply so i go another one and put it in....replacing the blueray drive or powersupply is super easy!

stoozo
08-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Jesus. It must take you a year to get pissed.

Come on mate it was 2pm....

stoozo
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Hmmm well plugged it in to check it was working and it did it again...ahhhh,so I whipped the top off bent the stoppers that hold cpu on...basically increased the pressure like the washer fix but without washers. Cashies right now!

Smokin_Icarus
08-05-2010, 01:23 PM
so basically you didn't fix it right the first time with the re-solder/hair dryer thing??

stoozo
08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
so basically you didn't fix it right the first time with the re-solder/hair dryer thing??

Well no-one seems to think its a permanent fix. Ok well I got to cashies and when they went to test it, it YLOD on me,so I said ah must be the hdd I put in...so I drove to EB's asked them if they were interested and got $115 as a broken console trade in with my edge card :) so no this fix is not going to work for ever....but its good to know Eb's will give you sum coin even if its stuffed!Apparently the heat gun method works really well...dont forget I only used a hair dryer the video said WOULD NOT WORK..so yeah im thinking if you want to go semi permanent use a heat gun and it should be good another couple of months!