PDA

View Full Version : DNS errors???

Locoevo
07-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Unsure if there is another thread about this i did have a quick look.

lately ive been having trouble logging into psn i keep getting an error about dns or some crap had a quick look on utube and found some advice has worked so far. maybe some of you techies know more about it? Stiff? i also have no trouble browsing on net from laptop so i know router is ok. but when it does show up nothing i did worked ie turn off modem, turn off ps3, unplug everything from wall socket, take a shower, nothing at all worked.

this 1 helped me.
OfXzsEknuqY

this 1 i just liked.
vo6WUIsHKwM

Wijome
07-01-2010, 09:01 AM
is that when it says something like unable to connect to (something) then its some nubers like 8019067 or something.

very detailed i know, but this happened to me once and we had to get our tech friend to come and reconnect all our wireless and such.

Locoevo
07-01-2010, 11:02 AM
yea when you try to login to PSN it comes up

AStiffBreeze
07-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure what causes the DNS errors. I know Sony uses two separate Content Delivery Network (CDN) partners: Akamai for the Playstation Store, and Limelight for system updates. CDN's are a way of basically trying to have data mirrored at lots of locations to try and increase the speed with which data can be moved to end users. Akamai and Limelight use different tricks to try and achieve the highest throughput for end users; if the PS3 web browser is working OK but you are getting DNS errors with the PSN, that would seem to indicate that some of those tricks (by Akamai in this case) are causing issues with the specific DNS server you're using.

The issue might be that the specific DNS your ISP provides is shit, e.g. it ignores the TTL set on a DNS response (the period for how long a DNS response is actually considered valid for caching) in order to try and save them money (either through traffic or server costs). Now that might not crop up as an issue for regular web browsing because DNS entries won't need to be changed all that often, and if one is out of date it usually won't matter. However with a CDN like Akamai's where data is being mirrored all over the goddam place and DNS entries might need to be updated very frequently, you can start to see some issues. Why these issues would crop up for the PSN but not so much for other Akamai areas (e.g. Apple's QuickTime movie trailers, iTunes store, etc) I'm not sure, but it might have something to do with the security measures implemented on the PSN.

Anyway, long story short a way around this problem might be to use a better DNS server (i.e. a public DNS server). You should be aware that using public DNS servers can be a risky business because they're not regulated the same way that the core domain name servers are; they might be more susceptible to attack (they're certainly more prominent targets) and you can't be sure that they're being run by straight up and down people. However for the PS3 (as opposed to a computer) that's probably not much of an issue, provided you're not using the PS3 web browser for any confidential info (e.g. purchases or logging into sites like FaceBook or AUF).

If you do decide to use a public DNS, maybe try going with google's ones first. For a start they'll have local mirrors to make things faster (as opposed to the one suggested in the youtube vid which is hosted in the USA), although they use some of their own tricks for DNS which might cause problems for Akamai/Limelight. You'd have to try them and see.

Also I'm not sure why some brands of routers would have issues with certain DNS's but not others; sounds like firmware issues but there might be other aspects I'm not aware of.

Locoevo
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
cheers mate id rep you again but i cant lol. it seems to be working ok now i did the top vids suggestion.

it really only started recently tho which i thought was weird never had that problem before.

kobeson
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
I just turned my PS3 on and am getting this DNS error, but it all worked fine yesterday :S

Damn it, will try that vid's suggestion, dunno wtf could be causing it tho, have made no changes...

Revs77
07-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm also getting a lot of DNS errors lately and never had been getting them before.

Locoevo
07-01-2010, 07:12 PM
yea mine came out of nowhere as well. that vid pretty much fixed mine havent had a prob since i did it and my net hasnt dropped down once.

kobeson
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
I had to reassign my mac's ip address and that fixed it for me

Chiips
08-01-2010, 01:41 PM
I've been having heaps of PS3 connections issues recently, which doesn't affect my net surfing as much. But the times when Speedtest gives me shiiiiiiiiit readings, are the times I normally get the DNS errors. When the net is ok (which has been for past few days... touch my head and arse), I never get DNS error.

Never had to tweak anything to fix it, other than wait for connection to run smooth.