PDA

View Full Version : Noooooo, not now

raider
12-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I was playing MW2 on an aussie server, green bars, it was great then I had red bars and I thought WTF and it was lagging really bad so I turn the PS3 off and turned back on and guess what.....The red light is flashing and the disc is in the PS3 and I can't eject....shit....PS3 is gone.

I bought the PS3 about four month after it was PS3 was first release, no issues what so ever until now...

Any suggestions guys, is the PS3 gone?, is it worth fixing it or for the price of fixing it should I get a new one......shit. I don't even know how much they will charge.....

Crossy
12-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Uhh i read up on this being a problem with the fan, you can get it fixed or do it yourself, i will give you a link to a youtube video. it was something like 75% of the YLOD reports are due to a build up of dust and other particles. someone posted a video about it, hopefully they read this.

Crossy
12-11-2009, 10:19 PM
This guy has 4 parts on the videos, i don't know if you trust yourself, but you can get it sent away to be fixed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo
hope this works for you man. i'm still dreading it.

raider
12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks crossy. watching the video now

Crossy
12-11-2009, 10:26 PM
YLOD Background - The "yellow light of death" (YLOD) occurs after a major hardware failure. Many people suspect that 9/10 YLODs result from bad solder joints on the motherboard, while 1/10 result from power supply malfunction (these numbers are not proven, just speculated). So far, the leading theory in the cause the YLOD is that over time, the processor gets so hot that it causes the solder to liquefy, and eventually the solder loses it's connection with the CPU / GPU on the motherboard. This explains why the YLOD is most commonly seen on the 20GB and 60GB models which use older processing technology, thus causing more heat and inefficiency. So far on this subject, Sony has refused to reveal any information regarding the causes of or solutions to the yellow light of death.

olution - Whetzel from the official Playstation forums has uploaded 2 videos detailing and showing the process he followed to successfully repair (twice) his Playstation 3's yellow light of death.

check this one out as well, has a bit of background on it etc.
http://www.overclock.net/playstation/490463-ylod-fix-ideas-preventing.html

raider
12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm not getting any yellow lights, yet. just the red flashing light. shit....this suxs

Razor123456
12-11-2009, 10:43 PM
NOOOOOO i need peeps to help meeesss

tosegue
13-11-2009, 06:42 AM
my ps3 froze and shut down one night last week and i was pissed off i just left it, a couple off days later i came home from work and my son was playing it, what the.

sijas
13-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I have had many experiences with broken ps3's , hell my 6ogb has been back 4 times and need to go again.
I had this same problem with my 80gb, flashing red.
Leave power off for awhile ( unplug it) , then when you plug it back in, hold the power button for a while to reset . This fixed it for me , hopefully it may work for you.

Revs77
13-11-2009, 10:06 AM
If your in Sydney quickest option is to send or drop off PS3 to:
www.beetronix.com.au
He will fix your PS3 in two days and will cost around $160.

raider
13-11-2009, 10:46 AM
thanks guys. I will try a few tests tonite when I get home from work. I will also try this that I got from a web site:

i did some searching on the web and found nothing but 360 had the same problem. heres the interesting thing i found a ''fix'', all i did was take out the hard disk, and turn it on to get my game out. then i put the HD back in and turned it on. it worked.

madrtr
13-11-2009, 11:43 AM
i had a release ps3 same as you, mine died on the day of mw2 release!

couldnt do anything at all, kept freezing on me!

Im an impatient person so i traded it in along with my 360 and some games, paid 50 bucks and got myself a new 120gb slim. no probs at all with it!

raider
13-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I just rang Sony, they going to charge about $250 to fix the PS3 and I thought screw that for additional $200 I could get a new one....anyhow went to EB games during my lunch and told them what happened and the guy from EB said that because my PS3 is the 60G, it was worth fixing it because I could sell it for about $700 due to the 4 USB ports, PS2 compability and some other shit........

Not sure if this is true or not but I will do research about this when I get home....Is this true guys, anyone knows?

Cheers

Revs77
13-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I had the 60gb model which died a couple of months ago.
I got it fixed and bought a 250gb slim for $600 which included uncharted 2 and MW GOTY edition.
I then sold my fixed 60gb on ebay for $560. So it basically cost me nothing to upgrade to the 250gb slim.

madrtr
13-11-2009, 02:12 PM
but you have to sell it thats the main thing. And if the release units are all starting to crap themselves, people will become wary

Crossy
15-11-2009, 03:34 PM
mine freezes every now and then, when i play some games that are a bit dodgy on the graphics. automatically turns itself off, and flashes red light ... i just flick it back on, but sometimes it also restarts itself, must be a runtime kinda error, like PC's.

Smokin_Icarus
20-11-2009, 01:37 AM
this just happened to mine tonight!! was playing a game and it just turned itself off and started flashing red light and wont eject my disk!!

switched it off at the back and turned it back on and same thing...........will give it one more go in about 30 mins to see if the status changes, otherwise its dead.

not too much a big deal as i have another ps3 waiting to be used, except that my game disk is stuck in this one!!!!

EDIT: No good, its f*cked!! and my game is stuck inside