PDA

View Full Version : Server Connection Timed Out (Help Needed)

Revs77
26-08-2009, 09:26 AM
G'Day guys,
Well I just started playing COD4 again and I keep getting the message "Server connection timed out" and I get booted from the game and sometimes the PSN, so bloody annoying!!!
I don't know if my router is shitting itself or what exactly the problem is.
I only started playing online about a year ago and I used to have a Dynalink router, this worked fine with COD4 back then. I then upgraded to a better D-link router and have been playing W@W for about a year without any problems. I just started playing COD4 again and now I keep getting disconnected. I have never opened ports or anything like that on my routers in the past so I don't know if I really need to do this now to fix the problem. I do have my PS3 hooked up wireless to the router but the signal is 100% so I don'y think I have a problem with the connection from the PS3 to the router it's more the router to the internet as when I do get this timed out message I go look at the router my internet light is either blinking indicating traffic or red as in lost connection.

YNWA01
26-08-2009, 10:30 AM
hey Revs, think we got a few games in last night! good to see you back in MW.

I have had similar issues in the past. I assume you have ADSL2+ but whatever type of internet you have got make sure you have the correct filters set up on any other telephone or Foxtel devices. I had the wrong one (only ADSL) in my old house for my Foxtel and it played havoc with my connection (similar issues to yours) but I never noticed it was the wrong filter - DOH!!!

After that get your line speed checked for stability with the ISP and see if they can suggest any other solutions.

ARandomNade
26-08-2009, 11:23 AM
hey Revs, think we got a few games in last night! good to see you back in MW.

I have had similar issues in the past. I assume you have ADSL2+ but whatever type of internet you have got make sure you have the correct filters set up on any other telephone or Foxtel devices. I had the wrong one (only ADSL) in my old house for my Foxtel and it played havoc with my connection (similar issues to yours) but I never noticed it was the wrong filter - DOH!!!

After that get your line speed checked for stability with the ISP and see if they can suggest any other solutions.

I found that it was easier to pull the foxtel out until i wanted to use it

that was until i got sick of pay $140.00 to watch the same old shit over and over and got it DC'd

Revs77
26-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah it's ADSL2+.
We do have foxtel but it's not hooked back to the phone line.
I have a line filter but every time the phone rings I get disconnected I've tried different filters but none have solved that issue but I can live with being disconected when phone rings. I will try tonight just having the router plugged in and disconnect the phone and see if that helps.

Chiips
26-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Didn't someone else around here have a similar problem??? Internet gets disconnected or disrupted when phone rings?? can't rem who it was, maybe they can help

Kacoul-
26-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Didn't someone else around here have a similar problem??? Internet gets disconnected or disrupted when phone rings?? can't rem who it was, maybe they can help

i vaguely remember it being sneaks
but might be wrong

YNWA01
26-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Sounds like its defo a line problem and probably filter based.

You don't need a filter from phone-line into the router.

You do need ADSL2+ filters from phone-line to Foxtel and any phone handsets.

I got proper ADSL2+ filters from Dick Smith (about $25 each) and it all works properly now, no internet disconnects, a clear phone line and all my Foxtel channel listings load properly - didn't use to when I had the wrong filter.

Doing an isolation test by unplugging it all bar your router should help define if the other things are the issues.

LOL@ SJ. I only have Fox for the sports and for wifey to watch housey programs while I play my PS3!!!

afin93
26-08-2009, 02:55 PM
i have the phone calling no connection error and i still dont fucking know how to fix it
but last night some of the SYCO boys were saying this happened to them and they were saying that it was just server service

Miney
26-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah it's ADSL2+.
We do have foxtel but it's not hooked back to the phone line.
I have a line filter but every time the phone rings I get disconnected I've tried different filters but none have solved that issue but I can live with being disconected when phone rings. I will try tonight just having the router plugged in and disconnect the phone and see if that helps.

I have had that same problem with one of my Modem/Routers. The funny thing is, using the modem/router that i got from Bigpond with the connection, whenever the phone rings i get disconnected. However, using another ADSL2+ modem/router that i have, without changing the filters or line or anything, when the phone rings, i DON'T get disconnected. If you're with Bigpond and are using the standard modem/router they gave you, i would suggest a change in router....

Fucking fuckers :p

ZeroOne_01
30-08-2009, 11:17 AM
well I found I was having this problem consistenly for about 3 weeks till I realised I was using a old ADSL router instead of ADSL2 router. I bypassed the router and jacked straight into the ADSL2 modem solved all my problems.

Solution is not to be a bonehead like me and the second solution is to get down to basics and eliminate one thing at a time.

good luck.