PDA

View Full Version : Is my ps3 dying

robjblair
05-05-2009, 07:06 AM
I am having major issues with my ps3. It will load cod4 up to the point of loading a game in either online or just the single player game mode. But when it starts loading into the game itself is freezes or if I am lucky it will get me into a game and about 2 minutes in I loose sound but can continue playing until the end when the game freezes to a black screen and the ps3 resets itself.

When I then start the game up again it will not load at all. neither do other movies except for copied disks they still load fine lol.

I also tried cod5 and it did the same thing as cod4 leaving me time to play but no games to play.
It is dying or should I try to clean the laser for the dvd?

ARandomNade
05-05-2009, 07:15 AM
hard one mate have you spoken to playstation support yet????

they may be able to give you better directions and advice.

reflexionkiller
05-05-2009, 08:50 AM
mate this is exactly what happened to mine exactly with the losing sound and everything. you cant fix it yourself but its a huge problem that sony knows about, are you under warranty? i rang sony and they said they extend the standard warranty to around 18 months for this.

R5169
05-05-2009, 10:14 AM
yes your black paper weight is dying :(

sony have got some massive QC issues to look into, every ps3 around the year to 2 year mark dies with YLOD or the disk reading issue.

ive heard ALOT of people across the internetz say this always happens and has something to do with cod4, whether its the game itself or the fact that its the most played game on ps3 and just happens to always be in the drive....

robjblair
05-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Problem fixed.

Traded it in on a new 80gig console. Sony wanted $315 to repair, eb gave me $320 trade in. lololololol

plus traded a few extra games and change over price was $280 including extended warranty.
Suck on that sony

NosajEel
05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
All these ps3 dying posts are freaking me the fuck out i have the original $1000 ps3 and will be devestated if it dies. If it was to die and i send it to sony will they give me one with the ps2 backwards compatability or not?

kobeson
05-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Problem fixed.

Traded it in on a new 80gig console. Sony wanted $315 to repair, eb gave me $320 trade in. lololololol

plus traded a few extra games and change over price was $280 including extended warranty.
Suck on that sony

I did a similar thing with mine just last friday mate, I am with you in sticking it to Sony!

All these ps3 dying posts are freaking me the fuck out i have the original $1000 ps3 and will be devestated if it dies. If it was to die and i send it to sony will they give me one with the ps2 backwards compatability or not?

I think you would be $hit out of luck actually mate, you would either have yours repaired, or be lumped with a refurbished 80 or 40 gb.

jdFRANK
05-05-2009, 02:54 PM

I'm in the same boat mate. And just lately I've been playing COD4 and the sound has cut out and come back a couple of minutes later or when I have rebooted. And the other day a game of TW 09 but everything was happening REALLY slowly so I rebooted and things were OK. But I'm starting to panic, especially after seeing 3 or so threads just today about things going to shit. Oh noooo!

kobeson
05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I am pretty sure the 40gb are the ones you have to worry about, although some of the 60gb have been known to die still, but not as many as the 40gb... that's what I have read anyway...

that's why I wanted a 5 year warranty on my new one, not making that same mistake twice damnit!

NosajEel
05-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Fuck i hope your right kobes

jdFRANK
05-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I think I have a 3 year warranty which probably has about 10 months to go...hopefully the PS3 holds out forever or shits itself soon!

kobeson
05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
yeah I know how you both feel, I was worried about mine, and then bang it died on me... but mine was a 40gb, so this doesn't mean yours will.

finally I feel secure with my 5 year warranty and my 5 day old 80gb PS3.

good luck fellas =)

spiltek
05-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Im gonna buy me an 80 gig one soon as I get back and give Son_of_Spiltek my old one

SnEaKs91
05-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Im pretty keen on sticking a C4 charge inside my ps3, sending it to sony and blowing the fuckers sky high
fuckin asian slave drivers cant evan make a reliable console

Kacoul-
05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Im pretty keen on sticking a C4 charge inside my ps3, sending it to sony and blowing the fuckers sky high
fuckin asian slave drivers cant evan make a reliable console

LOL not a bad idea sneaks

I hope thats not true about the 40 gig always diein cause mine will probably shit itself soon

SnEaKs91
05-05-2009, 05:42 PM
I heard 40gigs are the ones with the most problem, dosnt really matter what console you get but i no people who own 40, 60 and 80gigs consoles are theres are fucked up.
You can really see sony has put alot of time into making these consoles last aye

Fozz
05-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm just waitin for my Launch day 60GB to die, so I'm not gonna turn it on. Cant fuk up that way :)

Kacoul-
05-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeh they shoul probably try harder in makin there shit work for more than a couple a years than makin there shit laptops look good

Fuck i hate those vaio laptops

Crossy
05-05-2009, 07:02 PM
yeeeah truest, i got my 40GB about 1 year and a bit ago now. so what would any of yous say the cahnces of it dying this year. or soon, how long have yous had yours for.

AStiffBreeze
05-05-2009, 07:18 PM
yeeeah truest, i got my 40GB about 1 year and a bit ago now. so what would any of yous say the cahnces of it dying this year. or soon, how long have yous had yours for.
I'd say the more recent consoles are less likely to fail as the production line QC issues get ironed out. That was the case with the PS2 as well, the first few years of PS2's were prone to lens failure but the later ones were bulletproof.

I wonder what's failing in these PS3 consoles though; are these dying HDDs, problems with the lenses, or processor (or other IC) failures? I'm hoping it's HDD failures since the first thing I did was change my PS3's HDD for a 250GB one ;)

And if you guys think the PS3s are unreliable have you heard of RROD? :eek:

SnEaKs91
05-05-2009, 07:21 PM
RROD is fucking noting compared to what ps3 is having.
Everyone thinks RROD is Xbox fucking up, it means its over heating. all you do is turn it off for like5mins and its fine.

Fozz
05-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah but the key difference is that Microsoft fixes all RROD consoles for free, not ripping people off charging $315!!

SnEaKs91
05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah but the key difference is that Microsoft fixes all RROD consoles for free, not ripping people off charging $315!!

True ohh so true.
Rep for you

R5169
05-05-2009, 07:31 PM
guys xbox fix that for free because they where going to be sued for hundreds of millions of dollars if they didnt own up to it. they had sumthing like a 70% failure rate, it wont be too long now untill sony recognise the major issue, or are forced too and start doing free or cheap returns

SnEaKs91
05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
yea or i could pay mr sony a vist and start slamming hes face against my ps3 untill he fixes it for free.
I bet they pay heaps of asians to go underground for hours and fix ps3s for 50c

Miney
05-05-2009, 07:44 PM
I heard 40gigs are the ones with the most problem, dosnt really matter what console you get but i no people who own 40, 60 and 80gigs consoles are theres are fucked up.
You can really see sony has put alot of time into making these consoles last aye

I have a 40GB and haven't had any problems thus far *touch wood*. I have heard of more 40GB's dieing but i honestly don't think there is a hell of a lot of difference...

Fozz
05-05-2009, 07:45 PM
More 40GBs have died because they are the most common, simple.

Crossy
05-05-2009, 08:13 PM
well, my ps3 hasn't failed out on me yet. but it has gotten noiser. haha. my dad leaves it on after watching movies. does anyone here turn the PS3 fully off when they aren't using it, by the back switch.? sounds like we should Kurb stomp a mofo from sony. until you get your moneys back.

kobeson
05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I heard something like almost 40% of 40gb consoles have died... I heard it is definitely more common with 40gb's than 60 or 80...

Miney
05-05-2009, 08:17 PM
More 40GBs have died because they are the most common, simple.

Agreed. You don't here everybody that owns a 40GB saying that theirs hasn't stuffed up. You only hear about them when they break down.

Small odds.

NosajEel
05-05-2009, 08:21 PM
launch console 60gb ftw...u cheap bastards lol

AStiffBreeze
05-05-2009, 08:26 PM
My 40GB will be 2 years old in December and gets a pretty good workout. I replaced the 40GB HDD with a 250GB shortly after I bought it. I've had the occasional crash but that's always fixed by a restart. The only annoying thing I get is that sometimes my bluetooth controllers will drop out, and if I press the PS button on them the four red LEDs just flash for a couple of minutes and then all go out again (i.e. can't connect to the PS3). When that happens I have to switch the PS3 off and on again - plugging the controllers in via USB doesn't work.

Also I have my PS3 powersave set to turn it off after an hour of inactivity. So when I finish using my PS3 I plug my controllers into the charge stand and they get to charge for an hour before the PS3 switches off (which is usually enough to charge them back up to 100%, ready for the next time I want to use them).

I never bothered getting an extended warranty on mine because I figured that after a year there'd be PS3 modchips and I'd install one of those (thus voiding any extended warranty anyway). Two years later, here we are with still no PS3 modchips...

kobeson
05-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I am not sure what can be read into this, but from heaps of reading up it seems players of COD4 who own a 40gb console seem to be the worst off - I read that games like COD4 seem to wear out the laser faster.

this could all be crap, coz I know it was GOTY and is hugely popular, and when the 40gb PS3 was released was probably when more ppl jumped on to the PS3, but it is said that 40% of them have failure rate - in regards to not reading the discs.

I wonder how many in AUF have had theirs die on them now? and what percentage of those are 40gb?

NosajEel
05-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Good call should start a poll would be interested to know

Smajs
06-05-2009, 03:01 AM
My 60GB PS3 laser died while playing COD4......that bitch be cursed.......damn sexy though, hmm i gotta get that slut back.......COD4 as well.

Smokin_Icarus
06-05-2009, 01:32 PM
my 60g died paying COD4
my 40G is resting as a sub atm